Tendo City
Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? (/showthread.php?tid=7033)

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Dark Jaguar - 6th April 2017

I just got out of Power Rangers: The Legend of Rita's Gold and saw yet another example of completely warped morality in the "heroes".

There's a scene where one of the rangers reveals she did something horrible to some class mate. The specifics aren't mentioned, but basically she humiliated someone just because she could with no real reason to do it. The other ranger says "Just because you did something horrible doesn't mean you are a horrible person." and then further says "What's important is that you do what you think is right." Then they beat up the evil Rita because she's doing what she thinks is right and say she's a horrible person because of the horrible things she did.

I've been seeing this "sentiment" in a lot of US TV and movies lately, and I just have to wonder where this inane and, frankly, EVIL mindset comes from. It seems like the opposite of a moral code, and I'm sick of seeing it sprawled across US media.

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2017

... Yeah, that logic there doesn't make any sense at all. If you do something bad shouldn't you need to try to apologize, be punished, make up for it, or something along those lines to try to be absolved for it? What you describe there is, as you say, completely illogical. That is not morality, I agree.

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Dark Jaguar - 7th April 2017

I suppose beating up a giant literal GOLDar was supposed to be her "redemption arc", but it rang pretty hollow.

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Sacred Jellybean - 17th April 2017

Donald Trump does what he thinks is right, and is therefore morally solid. In Trump We Trust!

...is Donald Trump gonna become the next Godwin's law?

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Dark Jaguar - 17th April 2017

Oh, I forgot one thing. Half of Power Rangers was dedicated to Krispy Kreme. The McGuffin was in one. Rita took time out to eat one. And, when it was revealed the McGuffin was there, everyone said Krispy Cream about 5 times in reverent tones.

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - A Black Falcon - 21st April 2017

As a New Englander, sometimes you forget that there are actually donut chains out there that aren't Dunkin Donuts... :p (We don't have Krispy Kreme around here as far as I know...)

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Great Rumbler - 26th April 2017

Most big Hollywood movies are about punching evil until it dies, so yeah?

Hollywood, are you a bunch of sociopaths? - Sacred Jellybean - 29th April 2017

A sociopathy doesn't care for good vs. evil per se, just me vs. my play things.