Tendo City
Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like (/showthread.php?tid=7017)

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2017

So Konami is finally using their Bomberman franchise...

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/10/14571826/bombergirl-arcade-konami-bomberman-anime

[Image: bombergirl.0.jpg]

On the one hand, it's a nearly all-female cast.

On the other hand...

This isn't what we meant.

First of all, look at cartoony Bomberman male among a bunch of more realistically proportioned females. This is a trope I see a bit too often. Here's a female bomberman done right.

http://bomberman.wikia.com/wiki/Pretty_Bomber

[Image: latest?cb=20090416213931]

Now, is that super progressive? Well, it certainly is playing up to "girly" stereotypes, what with the skirt and the hearts and the pink and all, but compared to what Konami is doing, it's downright progressive because she's otherwise treated just like the rest of the cast, drawn in the same style and everything. Besides, having a "girly girly" type character isn't bad so long as it's not what they do every single time (spoiler: in Japan, it is). There's room for the message that "girly" doesn't mean "worse than manly".

Just to really drive the point home, these character all get their clothing blown off of them as the battle goes on. Yay for violently forced exposure!

Go to hell Konami! Maybe that one where you get frozen in ice. This is exactly why I'm sick of the anime and gaming industries in Japan right now. This stuff right here!

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2017

So Konami's making a fanservicey Bomberman-themed game, like a Bomberman equivalent to Otomedius perhaps? Huh. I wonder how it'll play, and if it stays arcade-only or gets a home port. Considering that this is a Japanese arcade game I can see why they'd make it, since this kind of thing probably does sell there, but it's not a great look, that is true.

However, this would be much worse if it wasn't coming just after Konami's announcement of a new real Bomberman game, Super Bomberman R for the Switch... which does have some (not sexualized like these) female characters in it. That game looks like a very good traditional Bomberman game, with none of this stuff in it.

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2017

If the initial response is any indication, the fans absolutely hate this. They're getting no service here.

Thank you for reminding me of the Switch game. I'm glad to see a real Bomberman game is coming along.

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2017

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/r/us/en/

The Super Bomberman R box is awesome classic '90s Bomberman in style, but with the games' more '00s Bomberman character designs. It looks great, and fits in perfectly with the (SFC) Super Bomberman games. The gameplay is polygonal now, but it's classic Bomberman stuff and looks really nice. it's been quite a few years since Konami shut down Hudson and killed all of their franchises off (except for pachinko machines and a few cellphone games), so it's been really nice to see this new actual (physical-media!) console game Bomberman game actually happen... I didn't think it would. And since it's a launch title, it's releasing soon too.

[Image: retailer_package.png]
I want this box... :)

Quote: If the initial response is any indication, the fans absolutely hate this. They're getting no service here.
The Western reception is very negative yes, but the game will probably never release here. I wonder what the reaction in Japan is...

I'm happy to see it too. With any luck, Bomberman will show up in Smash Bros too (along with Simon Belmont, maybe?).

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - Sacred Jellybean - 11th February 2017

fuckin' lmao. Like halloween costume makers, Konami will shamelessly make anything sexy.

[Image: fW0UAz4l.jpg]

[Image: zu3XpKXl.jpg]

A young Melania Trump showcases her crooked pepperoni nipples.

[Image: 86bxYhOl.jpg]

[Image: ohMV0GSl.jpg]

[Image: jGhZyuKl.jpg]

This is the most confusing boner I've ever had.

[Image: 01eqQeKl.jpg]

Fair's fair, I guess?

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - Dark Jaguar - 12th February 2017

What am I even looking at here? Are those joke costumes? Please tell me they are. That Donatello one doesn't even look like Donatello. (The artist or the turtle)

At least those are just on a range from creepy to sexist. Here's the costumes aimed at pedophiles.

[Image: 33809.jpg?v=1]

Someone's going to have to take a seat.

[Image: 33810.jpg?v=1]

This character is an infant. The story of whoever tries to hook up with the wearer of this costume ends with the banging of a gavel and the phrase "may god have mercy on your soul".

[Image: 33813.jpg?v=1]

So... do you think this is an approved use of the Red Cross symbol? I know they have requested it be taken out of games like Doom, and concerns over using it resulted in censors removing it from Earthbound preemptively.

[Image: 468608_v1.jpg]

And we're back to kids again. This one clearly belongs in the "didn't really think this one through" category.

[Image: 468568_v1.jpg]

Look, I'm all for legalizing the use of drugs, but that's mainly because I don't think arresting an addict is doing anyone any favors. This... isn't what I had in mind.

[Image: 468556_v1.jpg]

The no-faced nightmare blob has come from beyond. They push through from the realm of nothingness, jealous and desperate to take existence from the rest of us.

[Image: 468558_v1.jpg]

This is Peter Pan's shadow, I guess? There's only one problem, it's upright instead of flat against the ground... Well, come to think of it, the first time this kid tries the cross the road will solve that. Put it in the "didn't think this through" category.

[Image: 468598_v1.jpg]

This kid is never going to grow up right.

Here's what Konami's latest destruction of a franchise looks like - Sacred Jellybean - 18th February 2017

Quote:At least those are just on a range from creepy to sexist. Here's the costumes aimed at pedophiles.

[Image: 33809.jpg?v=1]

:Gonk: ah... uh... maybe roleplaying as an adult will distract them from touching real children?

Quote:[Image: 33810.jpg?v=1]

This character is an infant. The story of whoever tries to hook up with the wearer of this costume ends with the banging of a gavel and the phrase "may god have mercy on your soul".

She's not even a sexy infant. :colbert:

Quote:So... do you think this is an approved use of the Red Cross symbol? I know they have requested it be taken out of games like Doom, and concerns over using it resulted in censors removing it from Earthbound preemptively.

I did not know this. I always just saw the red cross as a universal symbol for health, as though it were public domain or something. I never put two and two together.

Quote:[Image: 468608_v1.jpg]

And we're back to kids again. This one clearly belongs in the "didn't really think this one through" category.

Reminds me of a costume my buddy made...

[Image: vBUEG7o.png]

Quote:[Image: 468568_v1.jpg]

..."pot for tots"...? :psyduck: They've got the market for negligent stoner parents cornered. Reminds me of an article about a crackpot mom who would give her son marijuana tea because he had ADD. That's like giving a kid crystal meth because he's too hyper.