Tendo City
2016 was a pretty terrible year - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: 2016 was a pretty terrible year (/showthread.php?tid=7010)

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Dark Jaguar - 3rd January 2017

But I can't get behind the "good riddance" thought some people are having. 2017 is literally and metaphorically made of every previous year added together (also called "history"). 2017 is already shaping up to be worse than 2016 by simple virtue that 2017 is when Trump is sworn into office and actually gets authority. In other words, if 2017 is going to be any better, it will be because we looked at 2016 and decided we need to take action. (And no, I'm not suggesting an insurrection. That's a step back, not a step forward.)

2016 was a pretty terrible year - alien space marine - 3rd January 2017

the worse part of 2017, is that its 2017!

this site would be a highschool senior if it where a person

Getting back on topic..

the world survived eight years of George w Bush, surely we will overcome the trumpocalypse!

Canada may have elected fidel castro's bastard lovechild ,but you still managed to outdue our electoral indiscretion, by giving a petty litigious old reality tv star, nuclear launch codes.

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Dark Jaguar - 3rd January 2017

That very last thing you said? That's why Trump is so dangerous. He makes Bush look like a peace loving hippie in comparison, because at no point did Bush Jr say "You know what we need more of? Nukes!". Surviving Bush was easy, all he did was declare war on tiny countries that could never hope to actually defeat America, at best just pushing us out of their own. Trump? He recently asked one of his advisers no less than three times "So, why can't we just nuke them?". That's not a SNL sketch, that's something he actually did, and he's not afraid of annoying, say, China. Bush got us in a war with a third world country or two. Trump might get us into a nuclear war with the other two super powers.

The thing about the status quo is, it isn't magical. It can be broken. A leader who's got no interest in maintaining the status quo is exactly the thing to upset it.

2016 was a pretty terrible year - A Black Falcon - 3rd January 2017

Yeah... as bad as 2016 was in many respects, how is 2017 supposed to be better? Politically, at least, last year was a story of possible future really bad stuff. This year, that bad stuff actually starts to happen. That sounds worse to me... so I agree, DJ.

Outside of politics of course who knows, but outside of politics even 2016 wasn't all bad, for sure. (Cubs actually managed to win a World Series, etc...)

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Sacred Jellybean - 23rd January 2017

Outside of politics, 2016 claimed the lives of Gene Wilder, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Muhammad Ali, Doris Roberts, and Leonard Cohen.

Days before its conclusion, it managed to reach up and strangle George Michael in one tentacle and Carrie Fisher in another.

On the bright side, at least it took out Anton Scalia and made the Republicans shit their pants. And subsequently, commit to literally not naming another justice for 4 years if Hillary won, showing for the thousandth time what children they are.

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Sacred Jellybean - 23rd January 2017

On the "huh" side of the scale, this dude also died:

[Image: ChsltSkl.jpg]

It strikes a blow to the rest of the washed up TV dads that are waiting to die nursing homes.

Personally I can't wait 'til Saget kicks it. Gonna be a while. :bummed:

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2017

As in Bob Saget? What have you got against him? He's hilarious, although that doesn't come across so well in the two things he's known best for. (Check out his stand-up some time. He's nothing like the TV dad in Full House.)

He really was the only one who could give those cheesy jokes in America's Funniest Home Videos. The hosts that followed told them straight, but Bob Saget came across in a "that hurt me in my soul to tell that joke" for every last one of them. It's a sort of sarcastic delivery of a joke as the meta joke I really loved.

2016 was a pretty terrible year - alien space marine - 24th January 2017

Bob saget raped and killed a girl in 1990! http://https://youtu.be/83OILqFV1gw

His full house co-star Dave Coulier was shot dead in a hunting accident, after being mistaken for a moose by a group of hunters.

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Sacred Jellybean - 24th January 2017

Full House is a crime against humanity and Saget must be punished swiftly and severely, with Fuller House reigniting the flames. To be honest, I thought he was pretty corny in America's Funniest Home Videos as well. I think any of those video clip shows could have done without the commentary.

Then you've got crap like Tosh.0, which is youtube clips that anyone could get for free, padded out by smug, douchey commentary from one of the most punchable faces I've ever s-

[Image: r4BNOjXl.jpg]

AHHH!! Get it away!

I've listened to Saget's stand up. I'm not sure if it predated Full House (I think so?), but you get the sense that he's trying desperately to separate himself from that character. I'm all for crudeness and shock humor, but Saget delivers it without any of the wit or charm of better shock comedians, like Louis CK or George Carlin. Granted, that's a high bar to meet, but Saget's filthy schtick just leaves me cold.

I think the only time he's made me laugh was his cameo in Half-Baked.

2016 was a pretty terrible year - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2017

His jokes in Home Videos are very cheesy, and very bad. I think that's kinda the charm for me. He clearly hates every second of it, so that dead pan delivery of his makes it funny to me.

Why did the unfunny baby video always win those things? It's not America's Cutest Home Videos people!

Remember America's Funniest People? That was the ultimate grasping at straws. "Hey! Let's rip off not only the concept of the show, but use yet another Full House cast member for it!"

Fuller House is a gigantic missed opportunity. That show could have been full of self-aware humor making fun of the kind of show the original was. Heck, I would have introduced all sorts of dark elements and found a way to end it on a positive note every episode in spite of all that. Well, shows like Grace Under Fire kinda beat that to the punch, but still...

Louie CK is a better comedian though, by far. Tosh.0 is the sort of "home video" show you make if you don't mind not knowing if someone just plain died in front of you (I'm pretty sure at least a few people couldn't have survived the things I've seen on his selections). It's a pretty mean spirited show.