Tendo City
Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) (/showthread.php?tid=7009)

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - A Black Falcon - 1st January 2017

So, I took all those issues I've had with this game in the many posts I've made about it over the years, and compiled it all together into one big article/list of my issues with LttP. It' ssomething I've been meaning to do for a while, but I'm done now.

(Despite how most of the article is criticism, I try to be easy on the game when I can, I really do like a lot of things about it...)

————
Introduction
————

I love the Legend of Zelda games, they are among the best! Indeed, I have sometimes considered it my favorite videogame series. This action-adventure franchise is amazing thanks to its great gameplay, graphics, music, and design. I know everyone has their own picks for their favorite Zelda games, but my favorites are Link’s Awakening and Ocarina of Time, followed in some order by the two Oracles games and Twilight Princess. Perhaps the most popular Zelda game, however, is this one, 1990’s The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It is not a game I played in the ’90s, but this early SNES classic is one of gaming’s most revered titles among some circles. It is indeed a very good game in a lot of ways, and I have often loved my time with this game. The classic Zelda formula and gameplay is one of gaming’s best, and this game does that well, for the most part.

However, despite that, over the years there is no Zelda game I have criticized more than this one. When LttP is good it’s very, very good, but I feel that the game has a few too many niggling issues the game has that hold it back. No game is perfect of course, but as great as it is a lot of the time, LttP’s flaws are too frustrating to overlook. As a result of the various issues I have with this game, it has been a regular target of mine; there are posts of mine online going back to at least 2003 criticizing Zelda: LttP on various fronts. I have never compiled those various criticisms into one single article, however, so after thinking about doing so for some time, that is what I have done here.

Please note, this is not a review; it is, instead, a list of most of the points of criticism I have about this game, with details about why each one is an issue. LttP’s positives have been said many times by many people, but its flaws are not mentioned as often, and some of them bother me. But remember, I do think that LttP is a fairly good overall; it’s far from perfect, but it is much more good than bad. Currently I think of it as an A- grade game, though at times when I’m being even more positive about it I have thought about it as possibly deserving of a full A. And while playing the game some again while putting this article together, I was reminded of some of the ways that this really is a great game, and the limitations of some of my criticisms; some apply much more to the first time you play the game than any subsequent replays, for example. But even so, the game has flaws that need mentioning.

One of the biggest challenges in judging LttP is that while at the time of its release it did a lot of new things, later games in the series would improve on what LttP does in so many ways that this game looks dated and frustrating in comparison. I know everybody has different tastes in games, but I really like some of the things later games do that this one just does not do as well. My two favorite Zelda games are the next two after this game, namely Link’s Awakening and Ocarina of Time, and both fix almost all of LttP’s flaws, while bringing back the outstanding, and often unmatched, core gameplay central to all classic Zelda games.

But as for this game, it is good, but has some real problems. I decided to make this article a list of issues, with a separate section for each major concern I have about the game. I think this structure works well for this kind of article. I do need to say though, while each of the numbered points on the list below has a different number of words backing it up, the length of the section and the importance of that issue do not necesarily coorelate; some issues are very important despite taking many fewer words to explain, while others take a while to explain but are not quite as important. I will try to make it clear how important each issue is as the article goes along.

Lastly though, a note: this article will have many major unmarked spoilers about Zelda: A Link to the Past in it. Do not continue reading if you have not finished the game.

—————–
Table of Contents
—————–

Introduction

Table of Contents

Issues with Zelda: Link to the Past:

0) Nostalgia: I don’t have much nostalgia for the game, but I do for (the much superior) Link’s Awakening.

1) Interface & Map: The interface is dated and the in-game map could be better.

2) Combat Issues: Combat can be frustrating thanks to Link’s too-short sword-attack range and weak shield.

3) Poor Map & World Design: LttP has one of the most boring overworld map layouts ever in a Zelda game. This is a big deal for me.

4) Story & Towns: The town, story, and character interactions in this game are seriously lacking compared to any later Zelda game.

5) Dungeon Issues: The dungeons are pretty good, but some are too linear and frustrating and one near the end has an unacceptably horrible “puzzle” at the end.

6) Required Hidden Items: LttP has a lot of required items hidden in random corners of the world with minimal or no hints about where they are. I have never liked this kind of design at all!

6A) The Book of Mudora
6B) The Quake Medallion
6C) The Flute
6D) The Ether Medallion
6E) The Bombos Medallion
6F) Getting into the Swamp of Sorrows
6G) The Ice Rod
6H) Silver Arrows
6I) Overlookable Items, Concluded

7) Continues & Saving: The continue system is too limited. The game needs more points you can start from if you die or save.

8) The Character Art: I have never liked the style of LttP’s in-game character art sprites; they have a weir and not good look to them. The background art is fine, but not the characters.

Conclusion

———————————–
Issues with Zelda: Link to the Past
———————————–

0) Nostalgia: First, the issue of nostalgia. I’ve been playing games since the eighties, though we did not actually have gaming platforms at home until the early ’90s. However, while I did play some of the original NES Zelda game, I have no memory of spending any amount of time with Link to the Past for SNES back in the ’90s. I read about it, I read that LttP-inspired Zelda comic in Nintendo Power in ’92, and such, but hadn’t played the game much at all. The first Zelda game I owned myself was Link’s Awakening for the Game Boy, which I got in late ’94 and immediately fell in love with. I still really, really love LA, and consider it the best 2d Zelda game ever for a lot of reasons. But despite some misgivings I did want to sometime go back and play that SNES game some people talk about so much, so when the GBA port released in the early ’00s I bought it… and found it alright, but not as good as LA or either of the GBC Oracles games, Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I dropped the game in the sixth dungeon and never have gone back to finish that version.

Several years later, after I started collecting classic games with my purchase of a Super Nintendo in 2005, I bought a copy of the SNES version of LttP. I played it partway and did think it was pretty good, and better than the GBA version, but I eventually got stuck midgame and stopped playing. In 2008 I finally went back and finished the game for SNES, and my reaction was pretty much as you see here: I liked it, with caveats. It is quite likely that if I had played it back in the early ’90s, despite the frustrating elements I would like it more than I do now thanks to nostalgia. However, I do think I’d still like LA more, because of the improvements to things like combat, mapping, story, required-item hunts, and more. LA and its successors build and improve on things LttP did, so this game feels primitive in some ways in comparison to later titles.

So, while I will admit that nostalgia is a definite factor here, I do believe that my issues with this game are things that mostly would bother me regardless of when I first played the game. The best games hold up regardless of when you first play them, and as my classic-games collection has grown and grown over the years there have been many games I love that I’d never even heard of before, back when they were new! LttP’s problem is not just that I didn’t play it when it was new, but that its game design does some things I dislike.

1) Interface & Map: Next, the interface is dated and the in-game map system, the one you bring up with the X button, could be better. Over time, the number of items you can have equipped at once in Zelda games has increased. From only one in the first couple of titles, it went up to two in LA and three in OoT, and it has stayed at at least two in most every Zelda game since. But in this game, you can only equip one item at a time, apart from your sword and shield, which are permanently mapped to buttons. This feels quite limiting compared to most newer Zelda games, as you’re constantly having to pause and switch items to a degree beyond most newer titles. The Super Nintendo controller has plenty of buttons, and they should have added at least one more equippable item slot. This isn’t the huge problem of some items on this list, but it is a bit annoying.

The pause menu screen where you change which item you have equipped is kind of clumsy, too, as if you select an item which includes multiple items within, such as the bottle, it may change the item within that category instead of switching items. So, you need to watch out which items you select while switching items, so you don’t get caught in sub-menus. This could have been handled better. The on-screen interface is a little odd as well; why do you need to know how many bombs and arrows you have on screen at all times? That is not such essential information that having this on screen all the time makes sense, versus the solution later games use which is to just put a number on each item that has a limited quantity of uses. That is the better design than this.

Lastly in this category is the issue of the map. If you hit the X button, you open the map screen. In the overworld this opens a Mode 7 map of the whole overworld that you can scroll around, and in a dungeon this opens the dungeon map, if you have found that dungeon’s map item that is. The overworld map is fine, but stylistically, I strongly prefer a map which reveals areas as you explore, instead of maps that let you see everything from the beginning regardless of if you have been to that location or not. Unfortunately, LttP does the latter: you can see the whole overworld map from the first time you open it. Most people probably like this just fine, but I care a lot about ingame maps, and I don’t. In comparison, the next game, Link’s Awakening, switches that out for a grid-based map which reveals as you explore. This really encourages me to explore much more than LttP’s map style does, because I really want to reveal all of the squares on that map! I may not care much about loot in videogames, but I do care about exploring out maps in games which have a minimap which reveals as you go. I wish LttP had that as well, and not only LA and the Oracles games. And on top of that, in LA you can even move a cursor around the map, getting info about what the name for the tile in each area or the building in each location is. There is no similar function here, so you’ll just need to remember where everything is.

Still, the overworld maps in LttP is a very detailed depiction of each of the two worlds in the game, so it is a useful map that makes navigating in this game easier. The map is great for that. But by showing you the whole map of it from the start, for me this discourages me a bit from exploring as much as I would in an LA or an Oracles game. And when you combine this with LttP’s decent but sometimes annoying item-switch menu and on-screen display, you get something that is good, but not as great as the best Zelda games in this category.

2) Combat Issues: Another important issue with LttP is that combat can be frustrating. Some people claim that this game “isn’t very challenging”, but I would say that they have played the game too many times to remember that it’s actually pretty tough! I died more than 80 times in my first time finishing the game on the SNES, and even though I didn’t finish the GBA version my death count is not low. Part of that is that I’ve only beaten the game once and Zelda games are always easier on a replay than the first time, and some is probably just that some people are really good at games, but there is more to it than just that. You see, after LttP, the Zelda series made several important changes to its combat system that make combat easier and more fun than it is in this game or the first one for the NES. For the most part combat in LttP is fairly standard for a Zelda game, which means it’s great. You have a sword for your main weapon, a shield for defense, and a bunch of other items you can use in combat as well that you will get as you play. The core of the Zelda series is about exploration, action, and puzzles, and the combat here is mostly great fun. However, as good as LttP combat is, the sword and shield both saw big improvements starting with Link’s Awakening and it is hard to go back to this style after having played that game.

First, your sword’s range is limited, and your range varies depending on which way you are facing. You have good range to the left or right of the screen, but up and down range is a bit less. And worse, your diagonal range is very limited. While in the next game, Link’s Awakening, Link’s sword-swing animation hits a full three tiles, those in front of you, diagonally forward-above, and above, in this game your limited little sword attack swings only in a small arc in the direction you are facing. You don’t have the vertical hit you do in LA, and you don’t have as much forward distance in your swings as you do in that game either, particularly when facing up or down. Additionally, when you hold the sword button down, you charge up for a spin attack. This is great, and is also useful because if enemies walk into you when doing this they will get hit, but in this game the ‘charged’ sword is held close to Link’s body, so it has very little range. In comparison, in LA Link holds his sword out like normal when it is charged, making hitting enemies with it easier. These changes make combat harder than it should be because you’ve got to get close to enemies in order to hurt them with your main weapon, the sword, and this increases the chances you will take damage. This is a regular issue throughout the game and does hold it back. I’m still not used to the sword’s limited range in this game, really. This is a significant issue with LttP.

And second, like in the first game for the NES, while you have a shield, it is nearly useless. In this game, unlike almost any newer newer Zelda game, the shield is only for blocking projectile attacks such as arrows and has no function outside of that. Blocking arrows can be useful, but blocking regular enemies and their attacks is far more important! In comparison, in most Zelda games from Link’s Awakening and on, the shield is vitally important during combat because it blocks enemy attacks. Going from that back to this game with its very basic and limited arrows-and-such-only shield is not pleasant. While most third and fourth-gen action-adventure and action-RPG games don’t have shields able to hold back enemies either, some games do, and walking around with this shield on your sprite that serves almost no purpose is kind of frustrating. It’s like, you have a shield Link, use it when that enemy walks into you! But no, they didn’t think of that idea until Link’s Awakening. Ah well.

As a result of those two factors, I find combat in LttP to be less fun than it is in any of the Game Boy or GB Color Zelda games. I’m not sure if this is a harder or easier game than those, as I died more times beating any of the three GB/GBC games the first time than I did in this one, but I played this game well after those so some improvement is expected, and in LttP I felt like I had more frustrating, unfair deaths than I did in those games. It’s definitely fun to explore around in this game, but you’ll take hits more often than you should due to your limited attack range and defense, and this makes the game more frustrating at times. This is an issue they fixed starting in the next game in the series. Overall combat in Link to the Past is pretty good, with fun core sword-swinging combat and some variety with your various items such as the hookshot and fire and ice rods. However, it could have been better, and the limited range and shield make combat in this game less fun than it is in newer Zelda games, and harder than it should be at times as well.

3) Poor Map & World Design: Ever since I first played it, one of my biggest problems with LttP has always been its map layout and design. The problem is, it’s not good, at all! Both in its overall layout and in how fun it is to explore, LttP’s map is kind of boring. While this game does not have the worst overworld design in a 2d Zelda game, I would say that The Minish Cap is worse, it’s one of the weaker ones for sure and this really bothers me. Across the Zelda series, in both the 2d and 3d games, you see two basic concepts in world design: either a carefully designed world, that is tricky to navigate and is densely packed with unique areas and things to see and do, or a large and open world that you can explore large amounts of more quickly and that has a much lower density of interesting or relevant areas. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are good examples of that second style, while Link’s Awakening and Majora’s Mask are of the first style. I think that the second style is better from a gameplay and level-design standpoint, when done well; it leads to more interesting, more varied maps with more to do and a more carefully designed feel, versus lots of pointless space that seems to be there for no reason other than to wander around in. As someone who has never liked open-world games much, that kind of design is not much of a draw for me. Objectively the two styles are probably equal, though, that’s just opinion. And beyond that, execution matters the most, as either style can be great or mediocre, depending on how well they are designed. For instance, I consider Ocarina of Time to be my favorite console game ever, while Majora’s Mask is interesting but very flawed due to its time mechanic. Despite that, MM has the more interesting, and almost certainly better, world to explore, but a game is more than its world, other factors are more important, in this case the time mechanic. In LttP’s case, the game has both the not-as-good style of world and also doesn’t have other elements that completely make up for that.

So, when I think of the game world in LttP, I think of a large and open map that is mostly decently designed, but just is not as interesting to explore as the maps in the top Zelda games. Yes, exploring the world can be a lot of fun in that classically Zelda way, and there are interesting areas to find as you look around, puzzles to solve, and more, but most of the map is mostly-empty and feels like it’s just there to take up space. When you first reach the desert and can run through it in five seconds to your goal and that’s the end of that, how is this supposed to be good world design? You’d never see this in Link’s Awakening or a 3d Zelda game! When exploring around the map in this game, looking for those scattered areas which actually are important, most of the time you instead just run in to more of the usual boring too-open spaces full of random enemies to run past or maybe fight if you want filling most of the space, with corners that serve no purpose more often than not to the edges. It’s hard to keep up my interest in finding the areas that are important, the places that have items like those below I couldn’t find, when I find most of the map so forgettable. And even when an area does have a key item in it, this game rarely explains that well enough, expecting you to fully explore everything regardless of how important it seems. I will get in to this issue in depth later, though.

So the problem is, this game requires you spend quite a bit of time exploring and finding items, but I found the world too uninteresting to make me want to actually do that exploration. And even when I did find a suspicious spot in the overworld, sometimes I couldn’t figure out how to proceed because of how obscure the overworld puzzles often are. But when outside of the usually pretty interesting dungeons most of the world feels irrelevant, I just wanted to go find the next dungeon. Another thing that can make you want to explore a game is its story, so while I will discuss this in more detail in the next section, the story and character interactions aren’t nearly good enough to help here either. The writing here is average at best, both in the basic story and the only decent NPC characters that are scattered around. In many later Zelda games the characters and in some cases even the story can help you want to keep going, but while it is improved over the original NES game by a lot, that is not so much the case here. Most of the better story and character interactions are early in the game, too.

Additionally, if you look at the zoomed-out map on the X-button map screen, you’ll notice that the overworld map layout is not that great. THere are some scattered corners with neat stuff in them, but that is not the bulk of the map. A Link to the Past is the only 2d Zelda game with a very straightforward and unvarying hub-and-spoke world, and I don’t like that; it’s kind of boring! The gameworld here is built around a central castle, surrounded by a ring of open ground connecting to the main areas in the game. The map in this game is made up of nine square areas, connected by mostly wooded spaces in between the main themed regions. One area, Death Mountain, takes up two of the nine squares, but otherwise each square is one area. These squares are even mostly identical in size! No other 2d Zelda game has such a simplistic layout, and it holds this one back. 3d Zelda games can be more like this, Ocarina of Time in particular, but there the good layout and other improvements make the world great regardless of that. The later games mix things up more than you see here. LA’s more complex world design helps make that game better.

LttP does do one thing which mixes things up in terms of map design, though: it introduces the concept of multiple game maps to the Zelda series. The implementation isn’t the best, but it is a good idea. While you spend the first half of this game in the Light World, midway you gain access to the Dark World, where you travel through a dangerous alternate realm. This map is a variant on the main map, so it is familiar and yet different. This concept of having multiple variations on the map is one that many Zelda games have used since, so it is an influential and important addition to the series. It’s not quite as cool as having an all-new second world would be, but it requires a lot less work and seeing an alternate version of the same world can be interesting for sure, so it does work. And the Dark World is satisfying in some ways, as it adds challenge to world traversal that rarely exists before you reach it. However, its design is very linear. This wouldn’t bother me if it had multiple start points, since I don’t mind linearity in games so long as you don’t need to replay the same stuff over and over, but unfortunately unless you’re in a dungeon you can only start from the center point of this map, and unlike in the Light World the Dark World’s center area has only one exit. So, you end up circling around the Dark World over and over. You do eventually get an ability that alleviates this issue, though it leads to the overworld being even less important than before as you zip between the final few dungeons, but still, this could have been better. The Dark World also has many fewer people to talk to than the Light World and no real town, so the games’ already limited amounts of interaction drop off even more here.

4) Story & Towns: Related to the previous point, Zelda: LttP has a very basic and no-good story, limited interactions with other characters compared to any newer game in the series, far less to do in the games’ one town than any subsequent Zelda game, and, of course, fewer clues for what you should be doing than any game after it in the series either. That last point is separate, though related because of how Zelda games combine story, towns, and clues together. But as for the rest of it, so, the story in this game is that you need to rescue the princess, again. It’s the same old garbage sexist story as usual, just with a better, more complete introduction segment than you’d see in the NES games. At the start the story seems to have promise, as you go to the castle, find your uncle and then Zelda, and escape with her. Once she gets kidnapped and the game proper begins, however, most story goes out the window apart from some conversations with the old sage Sahasrahla and a few psychic-link messages from Zelda. The game does have one twist, the initial villain Agahnim is revealed to be working for traditional series villain Ganon, so after beating Agahnim at the midpoint of the game you go over to the aforementioned Dark World. You start out in the dark world in an animal form, though, which is kind of amusing, but you soon get an item that lets you stay in human form there. Then you work your way through the dungeons in the Dark World until you can get Ganon. This is all a lot more plot than the nearly nonexistent story in the original Zelda, but that is a very low bar to cross and even compared to many other SNES games, LttP’s story is not that good. It has its moments, most notably the intro section and when you first go to the Dark World, but for the most part the story is entirely forgettable and generic, when it’s even there at all. And on top of that, “rescue the princess”, one of Nintendo’s favorite game plots, is a terrible and sexist plot that should go away forever, so it’s disappointing to see it return here. And as for the games’ ending, the less said the better; there barely even is an ending, beyond a very basic ‘you win’ sequence. It’s a far cry from the endings of most any newer Zelda game.

However, many Zelda games have bad stories; it is not a series known for great storytelling most of the time, it is best known for its great gameplay. Most newer Zelda games help make up for the weak stories with other things, such as amusing non-player characters (NPCs) to look at and interact with in the world, minigames, at least one town, and more. Link to the Past does have those things, but only in very early, rudimentary forms. Comparing this game to Link’s Awakening only a few years later, the improvements in NPC writing, design, and variety; towns; and minigames all are incredible and very, very noticeable. Where LA has some of the most memorable NPCs and situations in the series, with clever writing and a varied and amusing cast, and newer 2d or 3d Zelda games like Ocarina of Time or A Link Between Worlds have larger casts of interesting characters to interact with, minigames to play, and non-combat areas to explore, LttP shows the series’ first halting steps towards having these elements in a top-down Zelda game. The original Zelda is a great game, but apart from a few caves with one inhabitant each, who either gives you a clue or item or is running a store, your quest is done alone. Zelda II has full towns full of people to talk to, but its sidescrolling perspective makes it quite different from all other Nintendo Zelda games. Despite that though, I’m not sure if LttP is actually an improvement over Zelda II or not…

So, in this game, the third in the series, there is one town, Kakariko Village in its first appearance. The town is in the left center of the map, and is decent-sized but mostly barren of interesting things to do. There are some NPCs scattered around town, mostly in buildings, but they have little to say and there isn’t much progression or change here, unlike the towns in later Zelda games. I know many people at the time found the town fun to explore, but I find that there is so little to do there that most of the time the town is irrelevant. Apart from one key item and one dungeon, there is little reason to ever return to the town, something you could never say about Mabe Village in LA, or any main town in any 3d Zelda game. The handful of characters have little to say, there are no interesting minigames to play, and there isn’t much to find beyond a few overly obscure clues, either. For 1991 maybe having a guy who runs around town quickly and you need to figure out how to stop and a few people scattered around in the houses in town made for a good town, but it really doesn’t hold up at all. The town isn’t even monster-free either, unlike the (light-world) towns in all subsequent Zelda games! And as for the Dark World, there isn’t a town there at all, something else takes its place. Apart from towns, this game does have some scattered houses to visit, sort of like the caves of the original but better looking. It’s good that there are some of them in the game, but it’s nowhere near enough to make up for all the games’ other faults. And anyway, again, LA does this better.

On the whole, this game is heavily focused on the adventure, not the town and story elements of later Zelda games. The Zelda series is great because of the adventuring, dungeons, action, and puzzles first and foremost, but the lacking presentation, towns, and story in this game make it less interesting than later titles in the series. And even if it was a step forward for Zelda games in each of those categories at the time of its release, I think it is fair to compare it to other action-adventure games of its generation and find it lacking! Any of the three Soulblazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma games have far better stories and character interactions than anything in LttP, for example, and Link’s Awakening is a huge improvement over this as well. As a result, while playing LttP I saw no reason to return to the town after the first time or so, so by the time much later in the game that I actually did need something there the thought of going back there didn’t cross my mind. I know that Ocarina of Time significantly expanded how much there is to do in a Zelda town, but this is the least interesting town in any Zelda game with actual towns. And as for the story, the decent start is wasted as soon as it turns into yet another stupid “rescue the princess” game. And yes, it’s a huge black mark against Nintendo they they STILL think that that’s an acceptable plot for most of their major titles. As much as I love the gameplay in so many Nintendo games, their sexism is unfortunate.

5) Dungeon Issues: After I finished LttP, I thought that one of the best things about the game was its many fun dungeons. And that is true, the dungeons are mostly great! However, I do have two issues to discuss about them here. This is not one of the most damaging issues on this list for sure, as the many great, classic Zelda dungeons in this game are a key part of what makes it so good, but as good as it is, as in many other categories, in these dungeons some issues hold LttP back versus its successors.

The main issue I have with dungeons in this game is that there are too few shortcuts and the dungeons are too linear, so when you die, and you will die a lot because this is a tough game at least the first time you play it, you will usually be forced to replay the whole dungeon again from the beginning. This often can be just as hard this time as it was the last time, or harder if you used not easily replenishable items like fairies or potions, and it makes the dungeons in this game feel more unforgiving than those in most any Zelda game following it. Some people like this, but I don’t because it results in forcing you to replay the parts of dungeons you are good at over and over, which is rarely something I enjoy; I want to be able to focus on the next challenge, not be forced to repeatedly replay the dungeon.

The causes of this are interlocking, but I’ll try to break it up. On the point about linearity, Zelda dungeons are usually fairly open levels with a somewhat disguised linear structure, as you explore the dungeon trying to figure out its puzzles and defeat the foes within. There is always a progression to the dungeon, but in most Zelda games, getting through a dungeon doesn’t take too too long if you have gotten the keys, been through it before, and such. I felt like that is less the case here; some dungeons are like that, but others, the Ice Palace and Misery Mire worst of all, are long linear corridors with no shortcuts, a design that forces you to replay those whole tough dungeons over and over from the start. Those aren’t the only too-linear dungeons in this game, either, as it’s a common design in LttP. Misery Mire is where I quit playing the GBA version of this game for good, and it’s easy to see why, really. The dungeons before and after those are mostly better, with one very important exception I will discuss later, but they do still have some issues.

But the problem is not just that dungeons are linear paths, all Zelda dungeons are linear to some extent after all. What makes this a real issue is the absence of shortcuts. Starting from LA, Zelda games have very useful mid-dungeon shortcut warps you unlock after beating the miniboss. Making things even simpler, the newer 3d games, from Wind Waker and on, restart you from the beginning of the last room in a dungeon when you die, instead of from the beginning of the dungeon. LttP, naturally, does neither of these things. There are no quick-warps in this game, that was a new creation in LA, and as mentioned earlier dungeons are often not designed with shortcuts either. Instead, when you die, you start from the last door to the outside that you entered and will have to restart from there. As great as most of the dungeons in this game are, this can be a real pain as doors are often few and far between. It gets old fast. And if you want to stop playing and pick the game up later? Sorry, unlike most later Zelda games, you can’t restart from the dungeon enterance; instead, when you turn the game on and load your save, you can only continue from the usual three places if you are in the Light World, and only one, the central pyramid, in the Dark World. So, just leave your system on if you want to continue from that dungeon without added travel. Too bad. The GBA version changes this, but the graphics and sound are too badly downgraded for it to be worth recommending.

And lastly, one of the later dungeons, Turtle Rock, is mostly a pretty cool dungeon… except for one thing: at the end, there is a special door. This door requires you have both the Ice and Fire Rod items, which you will need to use to get through to the boss. The Fire Rod is a regular item you get in a dungeon earlier in the game, so that’s no problem, but the Ice Rod is one of those items hidden in a random cave with few clues. I didn’t know the Ice Rod existed until reaching this door, as the incredibly vague “hint” Sahasrahla gives at the dungeon entrance really does not help one bit, so naturally I didn’t have it. I will discuss this awful design decision again later, but I had to leave the dungeon, look up in a FAQ where the cave with the required item is, spend a quite frustrating time wandering around Lake Hylia looking for the right cave, finally find the right one, get the item, go back to the dungeon, and restart it from scratch because of course I had to, this game has no shortcuts. It took a little less time the second time, as I knew what to do, but still, this was an absolutely unacceptable design and if I’d stopped playing forever at that point I wouldn’t blame myself one bit.

On an unrelated note, one other issue with the dungeons in this game is that bosses are usually much easier than the dungeons before them. In retrospect there are other Zelda games similar to this, as Link’s Awakening’s bosses, once you know how to fight them, also aren’t as tough as the dungeons for the most part, but still, it would have been nice to see some of the bosses be a bit tougher. Some are fairly bland designs, too — the first two dungeons both have you just face a couple of strong regular-styled enemies, for example. Each dungeon should have an interesting, unique boss, and not all of the bosses here are that. Couldn’t you have come up with something more interesting than just ‘four giant soldiers’ or ‘three worm things’? And unlike LA, most bosses don’t say anything to you before you fight them, either. That fits with the general theme of that game having more story in it than this one, but it is worth mentioning. Still, the boss fights in this game are usually fun, and ome of the bosses are fairly interesting. They’re good… but there are other Zelda games with better boss fights than these.

So, on the whole, while they are good to great, LttP’s dungeons are not among the best dungeons in a Zelda game. Many newer Zelda games go too far the other way towards making dungeons too easy, thanks to design decisions such as reducing the amount of damage you take on each hit, allowing you to start from the door of the room you died in instead of being sent back to the entrance of the dungeon as you are in this and all of the other ’80s and ’90s top-down Zelda games, and more, but with its poor designs in some dungeons this game goes too far the other way. Thankfully this game is easier than the very challenging NES games, but it is still hard. It’s often the fun kind of hard, the kind of game that keeps you coming back until you figure it out, but once in a while it’s the bad kind of hard, and as more of the more frustrating dungeons are in the later parts of the game, after you get past a certain point the dungeons become a slog at times. Thankfully the last few dungeons are better, and of course not every dungeon in a game is going to be equally great, but this is an issue worth mentioning.

6) Required Hidden Items: When I think about the flaws of this game, one of my biggest problems with the game has always been that in a very ’80s-game-like way, Link to the Past has a whole bunch of items you are required to have in order to progress in the game, but the game either tells you absolutely nothing about and just expects you to have found, or they only give you a clue so uselessly obscure that it’s of no help. The items you get in dungeons, such as the bow, bombs, and such, are fine; you get those as you go through the dungeons, as usual in the series. The problem are items you need that are found in the overworld. I want to know what I’m supposed to be doing in a game, so being required to find various items hidden in random corners is no fun at all for me. I have always been one to prefer a more guided experience over a totally open-ended one, though with the right design I can love games with big worlds, such as many Zelda games or Guild Wars. But this game, or the NES Zeldas before it? I’m sorry, but I do not like this stuff at all. This is related to why I’d never play Metroid Prime with the guide marker off.

The defense I’ve always gotten when I say this is that some people enjoy this kind of exploration in a way I never have, and that the game has clues for most of these items. The former is just a difference of opinion, but for the latter defense, I find those “clues” either so subtle that I don’t notice them, or so vague that they’re useless; I would never, ever have finished this game without a guide. In fact, when I first bought this game for the GBA, I quit playing in one of these points, as I gave up without figuring out how to get in to Misery Mire. I could have looked it up online again and found out what the required item was and where to find it (it’s called the Ether Medallion), but having to do that repeatedly in a game I wasn’t loving anyway just didn’t seem worth it again, so I dropped the game there. Some time later, perhaps after beating the SNES game, I did pick the GBA version up again, but I quit in the sixth dungeon, Misery Mire, because it’s hard and maybe the worst dungeon in the game. When I got the game for SNES several years later I did eventually like it more and finish it, but only with the help of guides at various points, including all seven of the particularly bad cases I will go over below.

Yes, if you do slowly explore everything, figure out all the vague clues and don’t miss any puzzles, and go back regularly to hunt for areas you can now use items you’ve gotten in you won’t have these problems, but expecting all players to do all of those things is asking too much. If I found the world more fun to explore, if the game made you continue to explore the world as you go as LA and beyond do by slowly unlocking areas of the world as you progress, if the mapping system rewarded you for exploration instead of just showing you it all from the start, maybe I’d have been better at finding this stuff in this game. But the game does none of those things, so I mostly just wanted to go to the next dungeon after completing each of them, since the dungeons are the most fun part of the game. I like exploring in games when the game-world is fun to explore and when the game encourages exploration, but I have always found LttP’s world kind of boring for reasons explained above. And importantly, I don’t care much about loot in games, so just exploring around with the goal of finding items isn’t much of a draw for me. I like exploring to find a place, to fill in my map, to see what’s out there, to clear out the enemies in that part of the map, or what have you. But just to find some more loot? I care much less about that than most people seem to.

Beyond wishing for a better gameworld though, two things this game could have done would have fixed almost all of these problems. First, the game really needs a quest log to remind you of tasks you have not completed, things people have told you, and the like. This is something the Zelda series has almost never had, unfortunately, but there is one in Majora’s Mask, and it shows why these are so great. Any good RPG or game with a lot of quests and hints and such should have an in-game system to remind players of which ones they haven’t completed, it’s extremely useful stuff. The only alternative is to try to remember everything or write stuff down on paper on your own, and you probably should do that in this game for some things.

And second, the games’ in-game hint system is basic and isn’t useful most of the time. Zelda games have had hints since the first game, but through the first three the hints are mostly very vague, the kind of clues that expect you to figure most of the game out for yourself as you explore. If you miss something that’s just too bad. Like its sequel, Link’s Awakening, LttP has two hint systems, beyond the clues told to you by Sahasrahla, random villagers, signs, and the like: the oracle’s house, where you can go to get a nearly useless clue about what direction you should be going at and pay 30 rupees for the “privilege” of the oracle’s not useful information, and hint panels in dungeons where Sahasrahla gives you a hint related to that dungeon. These are a little better, but still often are of limited use; sometimes he’s helpful, other times useless. The next game, Link’s Awakening, brings both of those hint systems back, but improves on them considerably. Overworld hints now come from telephone booths, which are free to use and give you a reasonably helpful clue from a weird old guy called Ulrira who you call for hints. In dungeons, there is a hint in each dungeon on a stone slab, for help on some puzzle in that dungeon. The small improvements in hint quality they made between these two games make for a big difference in fun; it is very possible to get stuck in LA, and when I first played it in the mid ’90s I remember it taking me several months to finish, but that game is never as frustrating as this one is because of its better gameworld design and more useful hints. The trickiest part in LA is the trading game, but even that has more clues than anything in LA.

So, returning to LttP, a quest log and an improved hint system which theoretically gives you clues towards the locations of required items you’ve missed and now need would have done wonders here. Unfortunately the game does not do those things, so here we go.

Warning: spoilers of course!

6A) The Book of Mudora – I’ll start this list with the first and least annoying case of a required hidden overworld-map item. The Book of Mudora allows you to translate the text on stone tablets, and you’ll need it to get into the Desert Palace. Getting this item requires an item you got after completing the first real dungeon, the Pegasus Boots, and just like they would again do in Link’s Awakening, it is “hidden” on the top of one of the bookcases in the library in town. You’ve got to charge at that bookcase with the boots to get the book. That’s alright, and you get the Pegasus Boots not too long after first having to visit the town so if you thoroughly explored the town area you should remember about the book in the library, but when I first played this game on SNES I didn’t do that, so by the time I needed the Book of Mudora I’d forgotten about that book in the library, and there are no clues to this required item’s location in the game. The one “clue”, from that guy in town who moves very quickly and you can now catch, is just that since you now have the Pegasus Boots you should look for things to charge into, but that’s not not much of a clue since it pretty much just says the obvious, explore! So, either go around looking for things you can now charge into until you remember to check the library, or else use a guide. I think I did the latter.

6B) The Quake Medallion – This required item is found in a pond in a random corner of the map. You don’t get any real clues to its existence this time, you’ve just got to have explored enough to find this spot, and figured out that there is a puzzle here as well. You see, there’s a sign near the pool which says “do not throw items in the water”, so naturally this means you need to throw things in. Throw in enough stuff, and you get the Quake Medallion. There are no clues to this item’s existence beyond that one sign, and as not all signs refer to required items, not by a longshot, that’s one weak clue! All of the medallions are, again, required, and hiding a required item off in an obscure corner of the map, with only a hint that anything is even there, is too much. This is another thing I did not figure out while playing the game and needed a guide to find; I just hadn’t found this corner of the map. Since this item is not one with any real hints but just something you need to find the problem some of these items have about the hints being long before the item is needed does not apply here, but the core problem of a required item hidden off somewhere with minimal hints to its existence remains. I have no problem at all with Zelda games hiding optional items like this one is; it’s kind of a clever puzzle, really, once you find the pool. However, required ones should not be so hard to find!

6C) The Flute – The Flute is an item mostly useful laterl see point 6F for its uses. But getting the Flute itself is kind of tricky. In the Light World area south of Link’s House, if you find a clearing surrounded by trees, with an arrow of bushes pointing towards the one entrance, you will find a spirit of a boy playing his flute sitting on a tree-stump there. He vanishes when you approach, though. So, once you can get to that part of the Dark World, you need to return to that same point. Now he is corporeal, and offers you the Shovel if you will look for his flute for him, hidden under flowers somewhere around that area. The Flute is in the light world, though, not the dark, so you’ll need to think to go back, then dig up all the flowers around that clearing until you find it. Return to the boy in the Dark World with the flute and he gives you a clue to the next step, that you should return it to old man in the village. This sounds a bit complex, and I’m sure I was stuck on it for a little while, but finding the flute itself wasn’t the big problem, for me anyway. Really the only clues about it come from that boy, if you find him, and the old man he references, who is at the bar in the village, but I did find the flute. It’s that next step that I completely missed, as section 6F shows. But regardless, this is a key item, and it’d probably be all too easy to miss if you hadn’t been to that clearing or if you don’t think to go back to that area once you can go to the Dark World version of that area.

6D) The Ether Medallion – Probably the second-worst and most annoying item to have to go back and find if you missed it when you first pass through the area where it is hiding, the Ether Medallion is a required item that is hiding in an area off of somewhere you will pass through only once, in the very top center of the map near the Tower of Hera, the third dungeon. It’s across a bridge off to the side of the dungeon’s entrance, somewhere easy to miss if you’re focused on going to the dungeon as I usually am. Yes, you can see the bridge, but the tower is much more prominent. Indeed, even knowing it’s there, playing the game again for this article I almost walked right past it again. And worse, even if you do go over there when you first arrive here to go to the dungeon, you can’t get the item; you need the Master Sword to get Medallions, so you’ll need to remember that this item is here, complete the third dungeon, go through the Mysterious Woods after that and get the Master Sword, and then trek all the way back up the mountains to the top to finally get this item. And if you missed this side-area or forget sometime in between, there are, of course, no clues at any point in the game about what this item is or where you should find it. How helpful. I missed this item when I went to this dungeon when first playing the game on SNES, and this is really bad because when you finally hit the point much, MUCH later in the game that the Ether Medallion’s power is required, the game doesn’t say a word about what item you need to get past that point; it just assumes that you got it already. Since I didn’t, it was very confusing because there was no way to know based only on what you are given in the game what item I even needed, much less where to look for it. I eventually had to look this up online, and it was still a pain because getting up to the top of the mountains takes a while, it is not a direct route. There’s really no excuse for there to not be this well hidden, and to not have any clues.

6E) The Bombos Medallion – The third medallion is hidden in a corner of the Dark World. I didn’t have as hard a time finding this one as I did the other two, as I don’t remember being stuck at this part, but that may have just been luck. As with the other two this is a required item with no substantive hints referencing its existence. You find it by warping from a certain point in the Dark World, where in the Light World you travel from the marsh to the desert but here is a dead end. Three stakes there form a triangle, and warp from that point to find a stone tablet the Book of Mudora can translate. This gives you the medallion. If you explore this area you have a solid chance of figuring this out, as looking for warp points is an important part of this game, but I can see someone missing it, so as with the other medallions this really needed some kind of clue for if you don’t have it when needed later.

6F) Getting into the Swamp of Evil – In the Dark World, the lower central area, the Swamp of Evil and the dungeon 6, Misery Mire, located inside, is inaccessible; there is no way in. There is a vague, typically useless clue, but that won’t be much help. After a while, you may realize that the only way to get there would be by a warp from the Light World, where that area is accessible. Travelling between the Light and Dark worlds is a key mechanic in this game, and as you progress you get better tools to do that with. While at first you can only warp at set warp tiles, you eventually will get an item which lets you warp between worlds at will. But this game being this game, you aren’t so much given this item, as you are required to find it through a series of tricky puzzles you may or may not even know exist. Traveling between the Light and Dark worlds is a key mechanic in this game, and as you progress you get better tools to do that with. You’ll need one of those to get into the Swamp, because no warp is initially accessible.

To solve this problem, you need the Flute; see above for that one. Now that you have it, you need to figure out what to do with the thing, as all it seems to do is play a little song. If you remember the lines the townsfolk say, something I was not doing while playing this game, and that clue from the boy who gave you the flute, you may recall that there is an old man at the bar in town who vaguely mentions knowing the boy who gave you the flute. I didn’t get the reference or think of playing the flute before people in town in response to the maybe too-vague clue (it doesn’t say “play”, but “give”…), got stuck at some later point in the game and took a long break from it, and then finally came back only to have no clue about what to do once I had to get into the Swamp. Eventually I had to look it all up online. What I didn’t know is that you have to play the flute in front of that old man and he will tell you to play the flute at the rooster weathervane in town. Do that and you unlock a fast-travel mechanic which has a drop point that is otherwise inaccessible, letting you then warp over to the Dark World inside the Swamp of Evil. But since the boy only gives you this clue once and there is no way to see it again, this is another one of those things where, if you don’t figure the puzzle out right away and I did not, you will probably be hopelessly lost much later in the game when the item this quest-path leads to is suddenly required. That’s flawed design; this could have been handled much better.

I, of course, forgot about that old mans’ line right after he said it when I first got there very early in the game, and by the time much, much later in the game that the flute was needed I had no clue what to do with the thing. You won’t have the flute when you first get to the town or for quite some time afterwards, so this is just a thing you’ll need to remember if you don’t want to have to give up and use a guide like I eventually did. And remember, importantly, there certainly is no hint in the game that the flute gives you warping, or that the flute quest has anything to do with getting in to the Swamp of Sorrows, which is when warping is first needed! You need to figure all of those things out for yourself, with no help from the game. I wish it would do some of that.

6G) The Ice Rod – I covered the problems with this incredibly frustrating item earlier, in the Dungeons section, but the Ice Rod is yet another required item you find in a cave in the overworld. Unlike all previous items in this section, however, this one is needed in a dungeon. And it’s not only needed IN a dungeon, but it’s needed at the very end of a long and difficult dungeon near the end of the game… and that is the one and only time you ever need this item in the game. Now, there is a clue about its existence, but that clue is way back, given to you by Sahasrahla after you finish the first real dungeon, the Eastern Palace. He says that an important item can be found in a cave on the eastern side of Lake Hylia. What you need to do is not too complex, if you do it right away: you need to search around Lake Hylia, find the route through the lower-central plain area to the bottom and right side of the lake, find the cave in question, notice that there are bombable walls nearby, buy some bombs from a store, blow open that cracked wall, and get the Ice Rod, you’re all set, no problem. You won’t actually need it until the bottom of that dungeon near the end, but it might be handy here and there.

However, when I played this game on the SNES in ’08, I did not find the Ice Rod. I probably did look in some cave near Lake Hylia, but for whatever reason never found the Ice Rod, and didn’t have any idea I was missing a required item; that hint is vague, and not every hint people give you is about required items after all. And then when the item isn’t actually needed for about six or seven dungeons after the one and only hint in any way related to its existence is given, and there are absolutely no more references to the Ice Rod after that, it’s easy to see how I could have overlooked it. If you’re going to do this kind of puzzle right, give a better hint and have it be required soon. That’s how a newer Zelda game would do this. Here, though, the time gap between when you are (vaguely) told about the item and when you actually need it is crazy-long!

So, as described earlier, not remembering, or maybe even knowing, that an Ice Rod existed or that I’d need it, I got all the way to the bottom of the Turtle Rock dungeon late in the game, only to find that there is a door there that you can only open with both the Ice and Fire rods. So, I had to leave the dungeon, go use a FAQ to tediously search around for the right cave that had this item I didn’t know about, and then go back and completely restart the dungeon from the beginning, because they couldn’t be bothered to include things like shortcuts or boss-room warps in this game’s dungeons. This was more frustrating than any other item on this list because it forced me to replay a dungeon just because I didn’t have some random previously unnecessary item the game hadn’t mentioned in probably several dozen hours. At least in all of the other items above, the worst that could happen was that you just couldn’t progress. This one has the most serious repercussions if you miss it, and unfortunately I somehow managed to do that. As much as I do also dislike how modern Zelda games often make puzzles a bit too obvious, games like this one or the original Zelda for the NES show games which go too far in the opposite direction, and show why that kind of player guidance came into being. People should not be punished this severely for simply missing an item hidden in some random cave, that isn’t needed through almost the entire game until suddenly at the very bottom of a late-game dungeon it’s suddenly required!

6H) Silver Arrows – At the very end of the game, if you want to defeat the final boss, you need to shoot him with a special alternate type of arrow called the Silver Arrows. There is no clue in the game that this item even exists until you get them, so I’m sure many people got close to the end, only to realize that they couldn’t damage the final boss after a certain point and must be missing something. This is one thing on this list here I did know about the likely existence of when I first reached the end, though, because Silver Arrows also exist in the great early ’90s Zelda comic in Nintendo Power that was loosely based on this game, and I’ve read that comic multiple times and like it quite a bit. So, I did think to look for them before trying to beat Ganon, but the location sure is obscure! Right in Ganon’s Pyramid, the central building of the Dark World, if you destroy this one particular panel with a Super Bomb, it creates an opening into the place the silver arrows are hidden. The panel is cracked but won’t break from a normal bomb, so that is sort of a clue you need something more, but that this panel holds anything particularly important behind it, or how to break it, is of course not mentioned anywhere.

The issue is that in order to break that panel you need an item that you only need for this one purpose, a Super Bomb. You get this at the otherwise mostly useless Bomb Shop, but not right when you first find that tile; oh no, at that point the bomb shop still has nothing of note. Instead, you’ll just need to realize that at some point late in the game the Bomb Shop started carrying Super Bombs, and to keep checking until it does so you can go back and buy one. And on top of that, you’d then need to run across the right place to bomb, which could be tricky. This recalls some later dungeons in the original Zelda, such as ones hidden behind random rocks and trees and such, so you’d need to just randomly bomb the world’s terrain until you find the right place. This time is a little better than that since there is at least one clue, but it’s still fairly annoying. While I knew I needed silver arrows, without a guide I doubt I’d have ever figured out this whole too-involved process.

6I) Overlookable Items, Concluded: Looking back, and playing this game again some, I can understand why I missed some of these items I missed my first few times playing this game in the ’00s. Others seem simpler in retrospect, making me think ‘I probably should have found that’ about things like the Book of Mudora or the Ice Rod. But other items, like the three Medallions, the Silver Arrows, and such… that is not good. The only decent excuse here would be that this stuff is mostly only annoying the first time you play the game, so the second time through LttP it should be much less frustrating, but shouldn’t a great game be great the first time through, and not only later ones? Not everyone wants to play games multiple times, after all, or to keep playing after repeatedly getting stuck in a game, so required items like those should not be being as well hidden as they are. Do that for optional things, not required ones. The concept here is that the game doesn’t give you direct hints about where required overworld items are, it just gives an obscure one once, told to you by one NPC usually in a way that you can’t get them to repeat, and then expects you to figure out what that means before proceeding. As much as I dislike the way many modern games lead you around too much, this is worse. This kind of incredibly frustrating, wander-around-lost-with-no-clue-of-what-to-do experience is exactly why modern games DO lead you around too much! Getting that balance right, in having puzzles which are interesting and challenging but aren’t...

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 1st January 2017

I might go into a more detailed rebuttal later, but for now let me summerize: I think you rushed through the game just to "get it over with" and that's tainted your view of the game. I can't imagine how you'd find your list of "missable" items annoying unless you were in such a hurry that you didn't bother making notes of things like the book of Mudura and so on early on. For my part, that book taunted me for a while and I dashed straight back to town the instant I got those boots. I just can't help but disagree with a huge amount of that.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - A Black Falcon - 4th January 2017

You disagree? Who'd ever have guessed? :p But despite that, I thought this was worth writing up because as much as I've said about the game over the years, I'd never gone into this much detail about my issues with it. Now I have.

Quote: I think you rushed through the game just to "get it over with" and that's tainted your view of the game.
While that may be a part of it, I do think a good part of why I don't care for it as much is because of the design -- that whole "hiding items in the world you must wander around and find" thing is almost never something I enjoy, after all, given how I like to know what I'm doing in a game! If I did rush through the game, it was because that was how I was having fun playing it. No other Zelda game after this one punishes you for that like this one does... not that I always play these games like that, I don't. The other factors had a big impact here as well of course.

On that note, the other major factor is that I played LA first, and that game is better than this one in almost every way. While I'd played a bit of the NES game of course LA was the first Zelda game I owned, and it was hard to go back to a game with a far worse story, much less interesting NPCs, worse combat, a world that is much less fun to explore, messy design elements I didn't even mention like how the game keeps throwing a lot of items at you without fully making use of some of them, and such... this game suffers in comparison!

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 5th January 2017

If you don't enjoy finding hidden items out in the world, you probably shouldn't be playing Link to the Past, or really most Zelda games (especially the early ones). I take back my recommendation of the Soul series too, and can see why you probably wouldn't like Breath of the Wild. I absolutely love that stuff though, and think more games should do things like that, not less.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - A Black Falcon - 5th January 2017

I can't think of anything nice to say about designers who say "instead of telling the player anything, we'll just make them find it all while randomly wandering around." That's so obnoxious! I do not want to randomly wander around in games, I want to purposefully go somewhere that I know has meaning, whether that's towards seeing somewhere in the game I haven't been, going to the next point in the story, maybe doing a quest, etc. But just... wandering around for no reason other than that the game requires me to, somewhere I've probably already been? Why?

Also recall that I have always greatly disliked grinding, which is basically the same thing as what you're talking about here, just with only the wandering part as a goal and not the 'and then you might find something' part. The two really aren't very different though, thinking about it.

But as for Zelda: BotW, I have said at some length that I don't expect to like the game all that much for a bunch of reasons, but I would think that they'd have a much better help system there than, say, LttP; it's a modern Nintendo game, I doubt that they would make it crazy-obtuse.

Quote: If you don't enjoy finding hidden items out in the world, you probably shouldn't be playing Link to the Past, or really most Zelda games (especially the early ones).
"Especially the early ones" yes, "most Zelda games" absolutely not; after LttP this stuff is almost never a problem anymore in Zelda games, they started putting almost all critical items on the main path, and giving good clues for any which are off of it. Zelda is one of my favorite videogame series for a lot of reasons, including the exploration, particularly as it is in LA, OoT, the Oracles games, TP, and such.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 6th January 2017

A Black Falcon Wrote:0) Nostalgia: First, the issue of nostalgia. I’ve been playing games since the eighties, though we did not actually have gaming platforms at home until the early ’90s. However, while I did play some of the original NES Zelda game, I have no memory of spending any amount of time with Link to the Past for SNES back in the ’90s. I read about it, I read that LttP-inspired Zelda comic in Nintendo Power in ’92, and such, but hadn’t played the game much at all. The first Zelda game I owned myself was Link’s Awakening for the Game Boy, which I got in late ’94 and immediately fell in love with. I still really, really love LA, and consider it the best 2d Zelda game ever for a lot of reasons. But despite some misgivings I did want to sometime go back and play that SNES game some people talk about so much, so when the GBA port released in the early ’00s I bought it… and found it alright, but not as good as LA or either of the GBC Oracles games, Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I dropped the game in the sixth dungeon and never have gone back to finish that version.

Several years later, after I started collecting classic games with my purchase of a Super Nintendo in 2005, I bought a copy of the SNES version of LttP. I played it partway and did think it was pretty good, and better than the GBA version, but I eventually got stuck midgame and stopped playing. In 2008 I finally went back and finished the game for SNES, and my reaction was pretty much as you see here: I liked it, with caveats. It is quite likely that if I had played it back in the early ’90s, despite the frustrating elements I would like it more than I do now thanks to nostalgia. However, I do think I’d still like LA more, because of the improvements to things like combat, mapping, story, required-item hunts, and more. LA and its successors build and improve on things LttP did, so this game feels primitive in some ways in comparison to later titles.

So, while I will admit that nostalgia is a definite factor here, I do believe that my issues with this game are things that mostly would bother me regardless of when I first played the game. The best games hold up regardless of when you first play them, and as my classic-games collection has grown and grown over the years there have been many games I love that I’d never even heard of before, back when they were new! LttP’s problem is not just that I didn’t play it when it was new, but that its game design does some things I dislike.

I see what you're saying here, but plenty of newcomers, young kids new to the series, have played the game for the first time after playing newer entries in the series and loved it. Yes, some of them feel honor bound to love it because they don't want to seem like they can't appreciate the classics, but there's a sizable number who have said things to the effect of "I couldn't get into the first Zelda game, but I loved this one!" or "Going back, this game feels like when the series first got good." I don't necessarily agree that Zelda 1 is bad, but I'd say your complaints about this one apply more to the original. LTTP seems like a perfection of concepts introduced in Zelda 1 to me, and plenty of the new generation of gamers seem to agree. There are exceptions, but most of them don't like Link's Awakening either. The best place to look for these kid's impressions is probably Miiverse. It really helps that Nintendo sets up communities on a game specific basis, so when LTTP finally came to 3DS and Wii U virtual console, I had to check out those first time impressions for myself. (Similarly, I checked out such first time impressions for Earthbound, Super Metroid and Super Mario RPG). Now, there IS a bit of a filter here, namely the kid would have to be interested in even touching the classics to begin with, but it still seems to reveal a general appreciation of this game rather than anyone having issues with it. What I saw were kids reacting in very similar ways to how I did when I first played the game all those years ago.

Quote:1) Interface & Map: Next, the interface is dated and the in-game map system, the one you bring up with the X button, could be better. Over time, the number of items you can have equipped at once in Zelda games has increased. From only one in the first couple of titles, it went up to two in LA and three in OoT, and it has stayed at at least two in most every Zelda game since. But in this game, you can only equip one item at a time, apart from your sword and shield, which are permanently mapped to buttons. This feels quite limiting compared to most newer Zelda games, as you’re constantly having to pause and switch items to a degree beyond most newer titles. The Super Nintendo controller has plenty of buttons, and they should have added at least one more equippable item slot. This isn’t the huge problem of some items on this list, but it is a bit annoying.

The pause menu screen where you change which item you have equipped is kind of clumsy, too, as if you select an item which includes multiple items within, such as the bottle, it may change the item within that category instead of switching items. So, you need to watch out which items you select while switching items, so you don’t get caught in sub-menus. This could have been handled better. The on-screen interface is a little odd as well; why do you need to know how many bombs and arrows you have on screen at all times? That is not such essential information that having this on screen all the time makes sense, versus the solution later games use which is to just put a number on each item that has a limited quantity of uses. That is the better design than this.

Lastly in this category is the issue of the map. If you hit the X button, you open the map screen. In the overworld this opens a Mode 7 map of the whole overworld that you can scroll around, and in a dungeon this opens the dungeon map, if you have found that dungeon’s map item that is. The overworld map is fine, but stylistically, I strongly prefer a map which reveals areas as you explore, instead of maps that let you see everything from the beginning regardless of if you have been to that location or not. Unfortunately, LttP does the latter: you can see the whole overworld map from the first time you open it. Most people probably like this just fine, but I care a lot about ingame maps, and I don’t. In comparison, the next game, Link’s Awakening, switches that out for a grid-based map which reveals as you explore. This really encourages me to explore much more than LttP’s map style does, because I really want to reveal all of the squares on that map! I may not care much about loot in videogames, but I do care about exploring out maps in games which have a minimap which reveals as you go. I wish LttP had that as well, and not only LA and the Oracles games. And on top of that, in LA you can even move a cursor around the map, getting info about what the name for the tile in each area or the building in each location is. There is no similar function here, so you’ll just need to remember where everything is.

Still, the overworld maps in LttP is a very detailed depiction of each of the two worlds in the game, so it is a useful map that makes navigating in this game easier. The map is great for that. But by showing you the whole map of it from the start, for me this discourages me a bit from exploring as much as I would in an LA or an Oracles game. And when you combine this with LttP’s decent but sometimes annoying item-switch menu and on-screen display, you get something that is good, but not as great as the best Zelda games in this category.

I think I mostly agree with you on this point. I would point out that this game did put a LOT of actions on the A button rather than make them selectable items, and having the Pegasus boots usable without having to "equip" them is a point over Link's Awakening, though Toby Fair the Gameboy only has so many buttons to work with so their solution works pretty well there. Overall though, I found myself pausing and switching items a lot more in LA than in LTTP. On balance, Link's Awakening advanced the item usage exactly as you describe, by way of allowing more than one item equipped at a time, but at the same time the item menu in LA is a cluttered mess.

LA has the exact same problem as LTTP has when it comes to items with "sub items" you have to select, namely the ocarina and it's songs. Though, in both cases only ONE item works like that (ocarina in LA and bottles in LTTP). Also, LTTP's bottles are an advantage in terms of simply how many things the game lets you catch and stick in them, compared to one refillable bottle of healing potion in LA. In any event, the GBA version puts the bottles in as distinct items resolving this.

What LA does wrong is that when you switch items onto your button, it puts the old one back in the "place" you switched it. That quickly leads to a cluttered mess of a menu unless you make a concious decision to swap items in such a way that they all get back to a predictable position each time, meaning you spend more time in the menu swapping things around. I demand a clutter-free experience, so that means I spent a LOT of time swapping things around every time I needed to get something. Both older and newer Zelda games (other than the Oracle games) did this a LOT better, keeping all items in pre-set locations when you assigned them. MUCH less disorder, much less stress.

On a minor note, LTTP made sure you knew how many of everything you had in the menu. LA didn't show you how many heart pieces you had, so hope you committed that to memory. LTTP did. That's a small detail, but it was a bit annoying at times. LA's DX version resolved that issue though, so it goes the same way as the bottle issue in LTTP. You still have to individually select songs after picking the ocarina, but since the songs are used so rarely compared to the bottles, I can let that slide.

As for the map, I hadn't thought of this but again, I think I mostly agree with you here. I'll go even further to say that the "mode 7" effect kinda made the map ugly to look at and just showing it as a standard 2D map would have looked better (although the mode 7 effect was immersive, "pulling" you into the game world, so it has that going for it). I will disagree on one point, the map does obscure plenty before you get there, usually with cloud cover, and especially in the case of the lost woods. Showing the overall places in the world though? I can see a good argument for obscuring it a lot more so that you can be surprised you suddenly found Lake Hylia, rather than expecting it.

I will disagree on the showing of arrows and such. First, in context, Zelda 1 had a whole black bar dedicated entirely to that information, while LTTP made that area transparent so you could see the world underneath that part while still providing all that information. I think they used the space pretty well all things considering and didn't mind seeing all my magic, hearts, equipped items and so on all at once. Later games would move individual consumable numbers to the icon for the item itself, and that is a better design considering just how many consumables Zelda would ultimately have, but with only arrows and bombs to worry about in this game, it isn't hurting anything to show those numbers at all times.

Lastly, yes, they could have used the buttons better. Most notably, early SNES games hadn't quite figured out what to do with the shoulder buttons. Super Mario World used them to very slightly scroll the screen, and LTTP used then exclusively to shift zoom levels on the map. Yes, a little innovation and we could have put the map on the "L" button, and two additional items on the X and R buttons (map zoom level could be adjusted with "R" alone while in the map, similar to how the GBA version does it). In fact, some fan mods to the ROM have made similar changes. All in all though, LA gives up constant access to the sword in order to get the benefit of two tools at once, but there we're dealing with limitations of the Gameboy's controls being worked around. So yes, I totally agree on this point, but in terms of how badly it impacted the game, I'd say not enough to really detract from it any more than other Zelda games. Adding a couple extra items helps, but fundamentally Zelda games to this day require me to pause the game to switch things around every time I need to do something, and that's always going to break immersion. I guess I'm just so used to it now (between all the Zelda and Megaman and point and click adventure games I played growing up) that it doesn't really phase me. Still, even a slight improvement is appreciated when it's there, so yes, they could have made better use of the buttons.

Quote:2) Combat Issues: Another important issue with LttP is that combat can be frustrating. Some people claim that this game “isn’t very challenging”, but I would say that they have played the game too many times to remember that it’s actually pretty tough! I died more than 80 times in my first time finishing the game on the SNES, and even though I didn’t finish the GBA version my death count is not low. Part of that is that I’ve only beaten the game once and Zelda games are always easier on a replay than the first time, and some is probably just that some people are really good at games, but there is more to it than just that. You see, after LttP, the Zelda series made several important changes to its combat system that make combat easier and more fun than it is in this game or the first one for the NES. For the most part combat in LttP is fairly standard for a Zelda game, which means it’s great. You have a sword for your main weapon, a shield for defense, and a bunch of other items you can use in combat as well that you will get as you play. The core of the Zelda series is about exploration, action, and puzzles, and the combat here is mostly great fun. However, as good as LttP combat is, the sword and shield both saw big improvements starting with Link’s Awakening and it is hard to go back to this style after having played that game.

First, your sword’s range is limited, and your range varies depending on which way you are facing. You have good range to the left or right of the screen, but up and down range is a bit less. And worse, your diagonal range is very limited. While in the next game, Link’s Awakening, Link’s sword-swing animation hits a full three tiles, those in front of you, diagonally forward-above, and above, in this game your limited little sword attack swings only in a small arc in the direction you are facing. You don’t have the vertical hit you do in LA, and you don’t have as much forward distance in your swings as you do in that game either, particularly when facing up or down. Additionally, when you hold the sword button down, you charge up for a spin attack. This is great, and is also useful because if enemies walk into you when doing this they will get hit, but in this game the ‘charged’ sword is held close to Link’s body, so it has very little range. In comparison, in LA Link holds his sword out like normal when it is charged, making hitting enemies with it easier. These changes make combat harder than it should be because you’ve got to get close to enemies in order to hurt them with your main weapon, the sword, and this increases the chances you will take damage. This is a regular issue throughout the game and does hold it back. I’m still not used to the sword’s limited range in this game, really. This is a significant issue with LttP.

And second, like in the first game for the NES, while you have a shield, it is nearly useless. In this game, unlike almost any newer newer Zelda game, the shield is only for blocking projectile attacks such as arrows and has no function outside of that. Blocking arrows can be useful, but blocking regular enemies and their attacks is far more important! In comparison, in most Zelda games from Link’s Awakening and on, the shield is vitally important during combat because it blocks enemy attacks. Going from that back to this game with its very basic and limited arrows-and-such-only shield is not pleasant. While most third and fourth-gen action-adventure and action-RPG games don’t have shields able to hold back enemies either, some games do, and walking around with this shield on your sprite that serves almost no purpose is kind of frustrating. It’s like, you have a shield Link, use it when that enemy walks into you! But no, they didn’t think of that idea until Link’s Awakening. Ah well.

As a result of those two factors, I find combat in LttP to be less fun than it is in any of the Game Boy or GB Color Zelda games. I’m not sure if this is a harder or easier game than those, as I died more times beating any of the three GB/GBC games the first time than I did in this one, but I played this game well after those so some improvement is expected, and in LttP I felt like I had more frustrating, unfair deaths than I did in those games. It’s definitely fun to explore around in this game, but you’ll take hits more often than you should due to your limited attack range and defense, and this makes the game more frustrating at times. This is an issue they fixed starting in the next game in the series. Overall combat in Link to the Past is pretty good, with fun core sword-swinging combat and some variety with your various items such as the hookshot and fire and ice rods. However, it could have been better, and the limited range and shield make combat in this game less fun than it is in newer Zelda games, and harder than it should be at times as well.

You just made me realize that the 3D Zeldas and their shield control trace back to LA's shield control. Perspective does have a huge part on things like this. I'm not talking about nostalgia, but rather where you are coming from when you first play a game. With LTTP, it's key to understand the combat we had before and just how much of an improvement in design LTTP had over Zelda 1. In Zelda 1, you could only move in cardinal directions, there was no dashing, and instead of slashing in an arc you just stabbed directly forward. Now, there was one little glitch I abused to stab in one direction and retract the sword in a different direction by quickly changing directly mid-poke (allowing me to hit people on different sides of my character), but LTTP was a massive upgrade over Z1's combat. Z2 was, in retrospect, almost a totally different genre of game (though at the time, all there was was Z1 and Z2, so I didn't think of it as "not Zelda" because the pattern hadn't really been set yet). Anyway, Z2 was much more combat oriented and introduced special moves and verticality. LTTP took a few things from this, introducing new sword attacks like the spin attack and the dash attack. Technically, Zelda 2 has a much more powerful shield than either Z1 or LTTP, and with some more control. As a combat focused game, having a shield that blocked almost everything was seen as a must, and recently I've started viewing Z2 as a prototype for the Souls series, in terms of things like the game being hard, but fair, and designed entirely around that level of challenge.

LTTP's shield blocked a lot less than Zelda 2, going back to the design of Zelda 1, but with a few new twists. Firstly, you would hold the shield to one side when charging the sword, so it could still block attacks from one side, helping when there's projectile users off to the side of the target you're going after. Also, it was used to solve puzzles later in the game once the mirror shield was introduced, similar to the "reflect" spell from Zelda 2, but for hazards too instead of just combat. There's no denying the shield became a lot stronger in later games, and much more flexible in how it is controlled, but on balance the whole game is designed around the dynamic of either you attack or you defend, never both, and as in Zelda 1, it does work for this game. One benefit is I don't find myself walking around with a button held down for most of the game, as I did in LA and the Oracle games. That's a plus at least. Yes, the shield design is not as advanced as it would get in later games, but when the whole game's combat is designed around the way the shield functions in this one, I can't really fault it. Plus, and this is a big one, it is nice to be able to use the shield and sword and an extra item all at once (and the dash boots too just for good measure) without needing to sacrifice any of it. That really aids any fight where I need to use a special weapon, even if the shield doesn't block nearly as much.

The sword's range is limited. I think it extends just a bit when you get the Master Sword, but that's about the only time that happens. This is bad, and LA being a much more "tiley" design (that is, everything is much more obviously linked to the tiles the ground is composed of) does have a clear advantage in getting some good distance with the swings. Again, come at this from Zelda 1 and 2, where Link used a stabbing attack. Coming from those games, it felt like a massive improvement to be able to deal damage in an arc in front of me rather than just directly in front. Even with the shorter reach, the extra arc range more than made up for it, which is why swing attacks became the norm from this game forward. Further, if you do need a little range over an enemy's weapon, the spin attack extends your reach a bit. I used that spin attack a lot just for that purpose. That's a bit of a kludge like the "double stab" glitch in Zelda 1, but it's at least an intentional one. Further, all of the game's enemies are designed with that reach in mind. Most soldiers are working with the same range limitations, for example. The overall "feel" of the combat is still solid, and I never got frustrated because of the design. Again, the challenge still felt fair to me. So yes, the longer range is an improvement in the design of later games, but when the whole game is designed around the range you have, the end result still feels fine. It's no Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde.

Onto other aspects of combat, there's how the enemy encounters themselves are designed. Zelda 1 and 2 largely were action oriented, with the majority of combat being determined by reflexes and pattern recognition. That's never left the series and it still has a focus on that to this day, but ever since LTTP there's been a much larger focus on making every enemy a puzzle in itself. In LTTP, at first most enemies are easily dispatched with little thought. As time goes on, monster require a bit more thought to figure out. The stalfos knights, for example, are a two stage puzzle involving knocking them apart and then using a bomb to blow their bones apart before they reform. Most bosses also involve solving some manner of puzzle, most notably the water temple boss who you need to defeat by pulling it's orbs out one by one using the hookshot. I'll give LA some praise here, because while LTTP did a better job of using items in creative ways to defeat a boss, LA perfected it in a way that's stuck with the series ever since. In LA, EVERY boss repeats the same formula in that they involve using the item you found in the dungeon to beat that boss. LTTP did this sometimes, but LA did it with every encounter. It's a formula that never gets stale because every dungeon item is different than what was in the last, so using it to beat the boss of that dungeon works differently each time. It's a design that'll never outlive it's welcome, but it can result in poor item design. Everyone remembers the spinner from Twilight Princess and how it was amazing and cool and was used great with the boss, and then almost never used again, and that's an easy trap for designers to fall into. Since they are using the "item will be used against this dungeon's boss" formula, they might design the item/boss interaction first, and then figure out other uses for the item second. When that happens, they may find they just designed an item with an extremely limited range of uses and end up just relegating it to something only useful in that one location in the game. LTTP avoided this trap because they hadn't stumbled on that formula yet. They were designing items with their overall usefulness or cool factor in mind first, and how it could be used against the boss... maybe. It CAN be a tradeoff, but it doesn't HAVE to be and LA proves it pretty well. All in all though, they did a good job with boss design and how it interfaced with your equipment.

Above are what I'd call minor disagreements. Most of them are things I agree partly or mostly with but have a different interpretation on or defend as not hurting the game overall. Below we really get into the meat and potatoes of our disagreement, the world and puzzle design.

Quote:3) Poor Map & World Design: Ever since I first played it, one of my biggest problems with LttP has always been its map layout and design. The problem is, it’s not good, at all!
Okay, I really gotta call you out on one thing. Please stop using sentences like "The problem is, it's not good, at all!". That sentence is just rephrasing it's subject as the predicate and doesn't really enlighten anyone. The moment you've said there's a problem, we already know you think it's not good. Problems generally aren't good, that's why they are problems. I really hate to lay into you on this, but I mean, you do it so often, and it isn't helping either of us.
Quote:Both in its overall layout and in how fun it is to explore, LttP’s map is kind of boring. While this game does not have the worst overworld design in a 2d Zelda game, I would say that The Minish Cap is worse, it’s one of the weaker ones for sure and this really bothers me. Across the Zelda series, in both the 2d and 3d games, you see two basic concepts in world design: either a carefully designed world, that is tricky to navigate and is densely packed with unique areas and things to see and do, or a large and open world that you can explore large amounts of more quickly and that has a much lower density of interesting or relevant areas. Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are good examples of that second style, while Link’s Awakening and Majora’s Mask are of the first style. I think that the second style is better from a gameplay and level-design standpoint, when done well; it leads to more interesting, more varied maps with more to do and a more carefully designed feel, versus lots of pointless space that seems to be there for no reason other than to wander around in. As someone who has never liked open-world games much, that kind of design is not much of a draw for me. Objectively the two styles are probably equal, though, that’s just opinion. And beyond that, execution matters the most, as either style can be great or mediocre, depending on how well they are designed. For instance, I consider Ocarina of Time to be my favorite console game ever, while Majora’s Mask is interesting but very flawed due to its time mechanic. Despite that, MM has the more interesting, and almost certainly better, world to explore, but a game is more than its world, other factors are more important, in this case the time mechanic. In LttP’s case, the game has both the not-as-good style of world and also doesn’t have other elements that completely make up for that.

So, when I think of the game world in LttP, I think of a large and open map that is mostly decently designed, but just is not as interesting to explore as the maps in the top Zelda games. Yes, exploring the world can be a lot of fun in that classically Zelda way, and there are interesting areas to find as you look around, puzzles to solve, and more, but most of the map is mostly-empty and feels like it’s just there to take up space. When you first reach the desert and can run through it in five seconds to your goal and that’s the end of that, how is this supposed to be good world design? You’d never see this in Link’s Awakening or a 3d Zelda game! When exploring around the map in this game, looking for those scattered areas which actually are important, most of the time you instead just run in to more of the usual boring too-open spaces full of random enemies to run past or maybe fight if you want filling most of the space, with corners that serve no purpose more often than not to the edges. It’s hard to keep up my interest in finding the areas that are important, the places that have items like those below I couldn’t find, when I find most of the map so forgettable. And even when an area does have a key item in it, this game rarely explains that well enough, expecting you to fully explore everything regardless of how important it seems. I will get in to this issue in depth later, though.

So the problem is, this game requires you spend quite a bit of time exploring and finding items, but I found the world too uninteresting to make me want to actually do that exploration. And even when I did find a suspicious spot in the overworld, sometimes I couldn’t figure out how to proceed because of how obscure the overworld puzzles often are. But when outside of the usually pretty interesting dungeons most of the world feels irrelevant, I just wanted to go find the next dungeon. Another thing that can make you want to explore a game is its story, so while I will discuss this in more detail in the next section, the story and character interactions aren’t nearly good enough to help here either. The writing here is average at best, both in the basic story and the only decent NPC characters that are scattered around. In many later Zelda games the characters and in some cases even the story can help you want to keep going, but while it is improved over the original NES game by a lot, that is not so much the case here. Most of the better story and character interactions are early in the game, too.

Additionally, if you look at the zoomed-out map on the X-button map screen, you’ll notice that the overworld map layout is not that great. THere are some scattered corners with neat stuff in them, but that is not the bulk of the map. A Link to the Past is the only 2d Zelda game with a very straightforward and unvarying hub-and-spoke world, and I don’t like that; it’s kind of boring! The gameworld here is built around a central castle, surrounded by a ring of open ground connecting to the main areas in the game. The map in this game is made up of nine square areas, connected by mostly wooded spaces in between the main themed regions. One area, Death Mountain, takes up two of the nine squares, but otherwise each square is one area. These squares are even mostly identical in size! No other 2d Zelda game has such a simplistic layout, and it holds this one back. 3d Zelda games can be more like this, Ocarina of Time in particular, but there the good layout and other improvements make the world great regardless of that. The later games mix things up more than you see here. LA’s more complex world design helps make that game better.

LttP does do one thing which mixes things up in terms of map design, though: it introduces the concept of multiple game maps to the Zelda series. The implementation isn’t the best, but it is a good idea. While you spend the first half of this game in the Light World, midway you gain access to the Dark World, where you travel through a dangerous alternate realm. This map is a variant on the main map, so it is familiar and yet different. This concept of having multiple variations on the map is one that many Zelda games have used since, so it is an influential and important addition to the series. It’s not quite as cool as having an all-new second world would be, but it requires a lot less work and seeing an alternate version of the same world can be interesting for sure, so it does work. And the Dark World is satisfying in some ways, as it adds challenge to world traversal that rarely exists before you reach it. However, its design is very linear. This wouldn’t bother me if it had multiple start points, since I don’t mind linearity in games so long as you don’t need to replay the same stuff over and over, but unfortunately unless you’re in a dungeon you can only start from the center point of this map, and unlike in the Light World the Dark World’s center area has only one exit. So, you end up circling around the Dark World over and over. You do eventually get an ability that alleviates this issue, though it leads to the overworld being even less important than before as you zip between the final few dungeons, but still, this could have been better. The Dark World also has many fewer people to talk to than the Light World and no real town, so the games’ already limited amounts of interaction drop off even more here.

Now, what you just said is a pretty good defense of your opinion, which you even state is a subjective measure of what you put value in, so why use statements like "it's just not very good"? Anyway, in principal I agree. A well thought out smaller world beats a slapdashed massive world in my opinion too. Link's Awakening does a great job making every screen matter, and "screens" are exactly how that game is designed. LTTP isn't designed using individual "screens" as units so much as whole regions, so it's important to consider each region as a whole rather than individual screens. Even so, there's still an argument to be made that some of the regions are wasted (that small forest just north of the blacksmith and just south of the main path from the castle is a great example of an unused space that's simply "there"). I would disagree with any assertion that this is representative of the whole game's design though. By and large, every region is full of secrets to find and things to do. The light world's swamp has the central submerged remnants of a dungeon, some hidden caves, lots of grass and enemies hiding in them, and some interesting little things like rocks that turn out to be rupee spitting enemies and some fish left high and dry to rescue. There's also a portal to the dark worldFurther, it serves as part of an obstacle course for one of the game's escort quests and links to 3 surrounding regions. There's also a dark world portal hidden here. In the GBA version, the east side serves as part of a racecourse for an added sidequest. The region as a whole has plenty to do and to find, though it is spread over a wider area than LA would have done. I think they found balance between "large world" and "interesting things to do".

The dark world/light world dynamic does introduce some inconsistency. You can't consider LTTP's world design without considering the light and dark worlds. That was revolutionary, and so very many games have come since then basically copying this design, including later Zelda games. LA doesn't have anything even close to that. I would agree it doesn't need it, and I would never claim any game that doesn't have two parallel worlds is lesser for it, but it is certainly something LTTP has that LA doesn't have and MUST be more closely considered than I think you've done. Everything about the world design in LTTP rests on that concept. This is so deeply nested in the design that, internally, the game only has ONE map, with flags turning on or off certain parts depending on "where" Link is. In terms of game design, this means they designed every section with both "versions" and their features simultaneously, and thus when judging any region, both "versions" of that region are more fairly judged simultaneously. Let's look at the desert. Frankly, you're right about it. It is not a well utilized space at all. It does get across a sense of wandering through endless wastes, which is valuable itself (I'll get to that later), but you're completely right that it doesn't have much going on until you finally trek through to the dungeon (on my first plays, I trudged through this very slowly, as those vultures and mudmen were getting the better of me, but later on I was able to more or less speed right on through). HOWEVER! Now let's get to Misery Mire. When I discovered just how drastically different this area was from it's light world counterpart, that was one of the defining moments of "wow" in the game for me. Based on the commentary in Miiverse, that holds up to this day. The mire makes much more use of the space than the desert ever did, covered in challenging areas to navigate and hidden coves around the space. Just getting around is a challenge more closely resembling how things are laid out in LA. Seeing how things are set up in the dark world version really explains what was going on with the light world version's design. Now, could they have made BOTH versions equally interesting? Well, maybe, but there's inherent limitations when you need both areas to share certain basic structures in common. All in all, most of the areas in the game that feel underutilized are like this. However, a lot of them are well used in both versions. It's just a matter of spacing.

To criticize LA for a moment, for all it's good use of space, it is NOT an easy game to get around in. Most of the time I spent switching items was just me trying to get from point A to point B. There's another element of design to consider, which is how an area holds up to repeated visits. This is one of LA's weaknesses. All those holes and rocks everywhere? They are interesting the first time, but when you're just trying to get from one side of the map to the other, they do little more than frustrate. LTTP's map design, on the other hand, allows for a more natural flow as you learn the quickest ways to get around. The stuff in your way in LTTP tends to either just be a temporary detour or something that'll actually speed up your travel (like how ledges are placed). LA has 4 portals that link to each other in a circle, and that's it. Each of those portals is rather difficult to get to, with at least one case of the VERY first thing you need to do once you reach one being lifting a rock that shouldn't have been there in the first place. These are the closest to shortcuts the game gives you. LTTP gives you water ways once you get the flippers, and the duck once you get the ocarina, and the various portals around the world beyond that. It's true that the dark world doesn't let you use the bird (which makes sense since the bird can't hear you, right up until the end when the bird somehow does hear you and get you to the pyramid of power), but when you can easily reach that last portal you created yourself when you went to the dark world and use the duck from there, it isn't so bad. The dark world itself more closely resembles the obstacle course layout of LA, but again, if you want to get somewhere quickly, you can go to the more free flowing light world, get there, and then switch back over. Generally, it works pretty well. The east side of death mountain is a particularly out of the way place, although in the GBA version they finally added a 9th duck spot that unlocks once you get there. All in all, travel around the world is smoother and flows better, and the dark world gets away with it's rougher setup because there's always the light world as a shortcut. For that matter, it was an interesting design choice to make getting to the light world something you could do at any time, but you never had a quick flight system, but getting to the dark world had to be done at hidden locations, but you had the flight system to get to those places. Aside from that head scratcher (Seriously Chrome? You're telling me "scratcher" isn't a word?) with suddenly being able to call the bird near the very end of the game, the system works well and provides an interesting gameplay loop that keeps you hopping back and forth between worlds and seeing the differences and what they might hint at rather than spending your time entirely in the dark world.

The central "hub" of this world isn't Hyrule Castle (though it is literally at the center of the world), it's Kakariko Village. I went to and from there so many times on my first playthrough because there was plenty to do there and it opened up as I played the game. There were lots of little things that kept me wondering how I'd do that, most notably that book in the library. One of the first things I kept trying to do when I got to the dark world was visit the town there. When I finally found a way to get there, well, I knew it wouldn't be the same, but I was shocked at just how depressing and outright dangerous the village of outcasts could be.

One major point of difference here is one I don't think we'll be able to reconcile. You think the puzzles are too obtuse and the game doesn't give you enough hints to find the secrets. I found the puzzles were well designed and the lay of the land more often than not informed me as to exactly what to do to solve puzzles in the overworld. The light/dark dynamic feeds directly into that. You go into this later, but the entrance to misery mire is, to me, a perfect example of providing exactly enough hints to the player that they feel like a genius when they figure it out. The first thing players notice when trying to reach the desert in the dark world is that it is blocked off, and when they look at it from the map (the map provides a lot of clues in the game), they'll notice it looks weird, but one common element is that large rocky outcropping in the south west. Sure enough, it's there in the light world too. Well, when I first got that bird, I had to check for myself, and sure enough it lets me fly to that outcropping. So, before I had even flew there, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect, and sure enough there it was, a portal to the dark world. It was an amazing bit of design that you see all over LTTP. The game forces you to hop back and forth, as I mentioned before, and as a result you are forced to see how the terrain differs between areas, and those differences draw your attention and all your efforts. At a certain point, you start hopping back and forth any time you get stuck in the overworld, just to see, and you're usually rewarded in some fashion. The sunken palace and how changes in one place affect another are also great. Sahasrala does flat out tell you this, but it's something the game's design directly informs you of when you pop back and forth and see those changes for yourself. I say all of this, but it's clear you had some trouble noticing those hints. I think the reason is that you found the overworld boring from the start and just rushed from one dungeon to the next as fast as you could. Well, then it's no surprise you missed all those clues in the design hinting at what to do next, and no surprise you missed so many critical items most players find on their first time. I don't know what to do about your boredom with the map, but if you had payed attention, you'd have noticed there were numerous hints at every step of the way. I really do come off as condescending, but really it's just a VERY different view of the world at large. I would urge you to take a second look at the layout. Instead of digging and bombing every spot you see for those sorts of secrets, look at the lay of the land itself. That's where most of the hints lie, and the real strength of this particular design. Going back around to my original point, the world is not as densely packed as LA, and thus there is a good amount of wasted space, but on the larger scale, it uses that space to inform the player as to what is important and where to go next. Super Metroid does very similar things, with the geography often hinting at the location of a secret rather than some Metroid style clones that merely place the secrets at random. It's this use of hints that demand your attention that put LTTP's puzzle design ahead of so very many of the later Zelda games that pretty much hold your hand and tell you how to solve a puzzle the moment you enter a room, and I would say that extends to the overworld.

Quote:4) Story & Towns: Related to the previous point, Zelda: LttP has a very basic and no-good story, limited interactions with other characters compared to any newer game in the series, far less to do in the games’ one town than any subsequent Zelda game, and, of course, fewer clues for what you should be doing than any game after it in the series either. That last point is separate, though related because of how Zelda games combine story, towns, and clues together. But as for the rest of it, so, the story in this game is that you need to rescue the princess, again. It’s the same old garbage sexist story as usual, just with a better, more complete introduction segment than you’d see in the NES games. At the start the story seems to have promise, as you go to the castle, find your uncle and then Zelda, and escape with her. Once she gets kidnapped and the game proper begins, however, most story goes out the window apart from some conversations with the old sage Sahasrahla and a few psychic-link messages from Zelda. The game does have one twist, the initial villain Agahnim is revealed to be working for traditional series villain Ganon, so after beating Agahnim at the midpoint of the game you go over to the aforementioned Dark World. You start out in the dark world in an animal form, though, which is kind of amusing, but you soon get an item that lets you stay in human form there. Then you work your way through the dungeons in the Dark World until you can get Ganon. This is all a lot more plot than the nearly nonexistent story in the original Zelda, but that is a very low bar to cross and even compared to many other SNES games, LttP’s story is not that good. It has its moments, most notably the intro section and when you first go to the Dark World, but for the most part the story is entirely forgettable and generic, when it’s even there at all. And on top of that, “rescue the princess”, one of Nintendo’s favorite game plots, is a terrible and sexist plot that should go away forever, so it’s disappointing to see it return here. And as for the games’ ending, the less said the better; there barely even is an ending, beyond a very basic ‘you win’ sequence. It’s a far cry from the endings of most any newer Zelda game.

However, many Zelda games have bad stories; it is not a series known for great storytelling most of the time, it is best known for its great gameplay. Most newer Zelda games help make up for the weak stories with other things, such as amusing non-player characters (NPCs) to look at and interact with in the world, minigames, at least one town, and more. Link to the Past does have those things, but only in very early, rudimentary forms. Comparing this game to Link’s Awakening only a few years later, the improvements in NPC writing, design, and variety; towns; and minigames all are incredible and very, very noticeable. Where LA has some of the most memorable NPCs and situations in the series, with clever writing and a varied and amusing cast, and newer 2d or 3d Zelda games like Ocarina of Time or A Link Between Worlds have larger casts of interesting characters to interact with, minigames to play, and non-combat areas to explore, LttP shows the series’ first halting steps towards having these elements in a top-down Zelda game. The original Zelda is a great game, but apart from a few caves with one inhabitant each, who either gives you a clue or item or is running a store, your quest is done alone. Zelda II has full towns full of people to talk to, but its sidescrolling perspective makes it quite different from all other Nintendo Zelda games. Despite that though, I’m not sure if LttP is actually an improvement over Zelda II or not…

So, in this game, the third in the series, there is one town, Kakariko Village in its first appearance. The town is in the left center of the map, and is decent-sized but mostly barren of interesting things to do. There are some NPCs scattered around town, mostly in buildings, but they have little to say and there isn’t much progression or change here, unlike the towns in later Zelda games. I know many people at the time found the town fun to explore, but I find that there is so little to do there that most of the time the town is irrelevant. Apart from one key item and one dungeon, there is little reason to ever return to the town, something you could never say about Mabe Village in LA, or any main town in any 3d Zelda game. The handful of characters have little to say, there are no interesting minigames to play, and there isn’t much to find beyond a few overly obscure clues, either. For 1991 maybe having a guy who runs around town quickly and you need to figure out how to stop and a few people scattered around in the houses in town made for a good town, but it really doesn’t hold up at all. The town isn’t even monster-free either, unlike the (light-world) towns in all subsequent Zelda games! And as for the Dark World, there isn’t a town there at all, something else takes its place. Apart from towns, this game does have some scattered houses to visit, sort of like the caves of the original but better looking. It’s good that there are some of them in the game, but it’s nowhere near enough to make up for all the games’ other faults. And anyway, again, LA does this better.

On the whole, this game is heavily focused on the adventure, not the town and story elements of later Zelda games. The Zelda series is great because of the adventuring, dungeons, action, and puzzles first and foremost, but the lacking presentation, towns, and story in this game make it less interesting than later titles in the series. And even if it was a step forward for Zelda games in each of those categories at the time of its release, I think it is fair to compare it to other action-adventure games of its generation and find it lacking! Any of the three Soulblazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma games have far better stories and character interactions than anything in LttP, for example, and Link’s Awakening is a huge improvement over this as well. As a result, while playing LttP I saw no reason to return to the town after the first time or so, so by the time much later in the game that I actually did need something there the thought of going back there didn’t cross my mind. I know that Ocarina of Time significantly expanded how much there is to do in a Zelda town, but this is the least interesting town in any Zelda game with actual towns. And as for the story, the decent start is wasted as soon as it turns into yet another stupid “rescue the princess” game. And yes, it’s a huge black mark against Nintendo they they STILL think that that’s an acceptable plot for most of their major titles. As much as I love the gameplay in so many Nintendo games, their sexism is unfortunate.

I'll get this out of the way, because this is about the only time you'll hear me playing devil's advocate for "rescue the princess", and I only do so because you just keep harping on that point to a degree I think is unfair. So, rescuing victims is, in and of itself, not a bad plot device. As far as a story goes, having bad things happen to people who don't deserve it and having them have no agency in their own deliverance from these bad things is a perfectly fine plot device. Not every victim should always play a part in their own rescue. Sometimes a story works better when someone really is purely a victim and the hero is the only one responsible for saving them, and SOMETIMES that person is going to be female. As such, SOMETIMES a story where someone rescues a princess and defeats a bad guy is going to happen, and I'm okay with it. In that case, it isn't necessarily sexist. Sometimes.

There, I've gotten my defense of it done, because that's the best I can say. The thing that makes "rescue the princess" a sexist trope at this point is the context of stories at large. Link isn't doing anything wrong when he rescues someone in distress. That's what heroes do. It's the nature of it as the "go to" plot device that's the big problem. The reason it's sexist is because it's the norm, the default assumption when you need a fantasy hero to have a heroic goal. There are also other deeper issues with it, namely the preponderance of stories where the hero is rescuing the princess so they can marry them, basically due to romantic interest rather than simply wanting to be a hero. (I personally detest that one the most, especially because of how certain people critique Mario and Zelda games as never letting Mario or Link "get some" at the end of the game. Even the Zelda cartoon plays up this notion with Link always trying to get "that kiss". That makes the cartoon a mixed bag, since Zelda has a character and is a hero in her own right in that game in a much more action focused way, but at the same time it undermines that with Link constantly giving her unwanted advances, and that part is so bad that it ultimately makes the cartoon come off worse for it. Oddly, the CD-i games came off pretty well in both regards, but their stories and writing are too atrocious to really consider them good in any other way.) The good news is there's never been any indication that either Link or Mario are doing their rescuing for anything but the purest of reasons. The bad news is that while a story of then rescuing the princess is okay ONCE, they do it ALL THE TIME. That's where the real issue comes from, that it's the default state. If they would switch things up and only dip into the "rescue the princess" well once in a decade, like for a remake of an old game or something, it'd be a LOT better (especially if they were having their princesses take a saving role now and again to balance the scales). Not perfect, mind you, because Nintendo' stories don't exist in a vacuum. Princess Leia, most Disney princesses, they're all in the same boat here, and taken all together they ALL contribute to it. So, even if Mario was fair and balanced as far as Mario games go in how often it put a princess in peril, it would STILL be an issue because everyone else isn't. In some distant future where princes and princesses don't need rescuing that often and when they do it's balanced between them, and that's the case across most stories in society as a whole, THEN it becomes a much safer bet to have a story where Zelda needs saving, but it is a problem. I just wouldn't call it an inherently sexist issue so much as a conditionally sexist issue. I guess ultimately that doesn't matter too much, but it does let me isolate my consideration of the story when I'm trying to get into it and let me forget that it's been done a billion times before, so I don't let it get me that angry. I'm more interested in where characterization is blatantly sexist most of the time. For example, there's this item banker in Skyward Sword who, well, needs some serious therapy. She starts out completely indifferent to you, but as you keep going back to that counter, she steadily somehow falls in love with you because of a mistaken assumption. You can "correct" this assumption, but the game only allows you to do it in a way that would emotionally destroy this person, or you can lie and stay in a relationship you've got no interest in, because she is entirely sickening in her cutesy nonsense and not at all endearing. Ultimately, the whole episode with that character rubbed me the wrong way, and it didn't help at all when Fi (one of the worst characters ever in a Zelda game) implies I shouldn't tell Zelda about this because, she'd be jealous or something? For most of Skyward Sword it's clear that Zelda and Link are very close friends, but it's also clear that's pretty much all they are, closer to Sam and Frodo than anything romantic (since nothing romantic actually ever happens between them), but Fi still says that with the matter-of-factness of an emotionless robot, like it's just an established law of nature that platonic relationships between men and women are impossible. Well, never mind all that...

I've said in the past I think the storytelling is fine for what the game is. I think I can clarify that a bit more now. The overall arc of the story is as basic as it comes: You're a hero, you must save the world, and there's one person in particular you have a link with you are trying to save. That's the story of this game. That's the story of Sleeping Beauty. That's the story of Star Wars. Does it have all the complicated twists and turns of a Final Fantasy? Not at all, and that's not what a Zelda story needs to be. Heck, some of the greatest storytelling in gaming right now is in the Souls series, and the overall goals there are spelled out for you right from the beginning of those games. (Like, kill all the demons and then you're done. That's it.) But, there's more to storytelling then the actual structure of the story itself. There's also characters. LTTP is pretty weak on deeply written characters, that's true. LA does characters better and that's why it comes very close to my favorite 2D Zelda game. There's also writing. Well, the quality of the writing depends on the original script and the translators. They did a pretty good job I'd say, but there's not exactly a bunch of quotable lines in this game. There's very little I can actually quote from memory in the game, just generally remembering the basic ideas they were telling me. (This is as opposed to Star Fox 64, where literally every single line in the game is instantly memorable. I'm taking too long, so I'll use the boost to get through.) So if the story structure isn't it, and the characters aren't it, and the writing isn't it, what exactly am I saying is so good about the story? The tone, the consistency in theme, and the way it tells the story through gameplay rather than through words. If this was nothing more than a dot running around solving puzzles and deleting other dots, it wouldn't be nearly as fun a game. All the Zelda games accomplish this, but it's notable in the first few Zelda games because that's ALL it has to rely on since all the other elements are so basic. This game makes you feel like you're on the adventure. You mention that yourself as a strength of the series as a whole. Compare this to a bad action adventure game. In a bad game, the music is lacking or badly placed. The areas are nonsensically placed, and there's no real reason why so much of the world is the way it is. You're just there, doing stuff. Hmm, how about a game that's good, but does this particular thing badly? Final Fantasy X has a well done and complicated story, decent writing, and good characters. Everyone remembers that. It also has great art design and music, as most FF games do. It does NOT have this element I just discussed though, "storytelling through gameplay". It's tubequest. You just sorta walk in a straight line until the game ends. I did like that game, but I never felt like I had any real agency in the world, at all. I never felt like the world itself even really existed. All the areas were connected just because they were, with no real sense of logic behind what place I went next in the string. I have never felt that way in a Zelda game. Even the super linear ones never felt like that, because they have an informed sense of location design, so that even when it's linear, it doesn't feel that way, and everywhere you go seems like a small part of a greater whole. When you reach big milestones, you can look back and get a real sense of how far you've come. In Final Fantasy X, I only knew I was near the end of the game because it told me I was. I didn't feel like I'd actually traveled very far at all.

The way every area is designed makes me feel a certain way. The forest feels mysterious yet hopeful because of every little element they put into it, from hiding the details on the world map to the thieves wandering about to the fog permeating the place to the maze-like layout to the fake master swords you keep finding to, of course, that amazing music. You're told what to expect deep inside the forest, so you feel a sense of excitement and hope. The dark world version of that forest accomplishes all those same things but with a totally different tone, one of wandering through some horrible level of hell. Instead of hope and excitement, you feel fear and anxiety, and you know nothing good is coming from this place. Misery Mire gives a real sense of nature having gone "wrong", of nothing being "right" about it, and hinting at the beasts that used to live there before it was walled off and flooded. The castle is vast enough to give a sense of enormity and importance, with the overall design and the music really giving you a sense of wonder at the royal family that once lived there. As I mentioned before, the desert gives a real sense of enormity and endless emptiness for first time visitors. I remember it being far bigger than it actually is. The enemies are pretty simply avoided, but they are designed to seem harder to make people slow down, which makes it appear larger. All of the dungeons stick with similar themes, giving you a real sense of where you are and that dungeon's place in the world, at least in a literal sense. In terms of any interesting characters, lots of kids really saw Agahnim as one of the best villains on the system. On the face of it, that doesn't make sense. He's a dark priest who somehow got controlled by Ganon and worked to free his master during the whole game. That's really all there is to his character, with nothing near the depth of villains like Kefka. Yet, he left an impression because his presence was felt during the whole game. You only see him a tiny handful of times, but you feel him through the whole thing. They really didn't need to do much with those few appearances to make you anticipate him. I suppose he's kinda like Darth Vader that way (that is, before Darth Vader's past was revealed in the prequels). The various towns people don't have much going on, but the few traits they have serve to make the village seem lived in. I felt the place was a town and bustling, even with the tiny handful of villagers in it. In fact, Mabe Village pulls off the same effect with even fewer townspeople. In the village of outcasts, Blind was also a pretty interesting thing. It starts out as yet ANOTHER "rescue the maiden" subplot (the game has you rescue a LOT of them, and it is to Link Between World's credit that they realized they need to have the fair share of people being rescued be male since this trope does get overplayed here), but as this escort quest goes on, you start to get more and more uneasy about exactly who she is and whether she can be trusted. Finally, you find out she's the boss of the dungeon and it all comes around again. Link Between Worlds has a similar very interesting subplot in the equivalent dungeon, done to even greater effect. As I've gotten older and played more and more games, the ability of a game to tell a compelling story has depended more and more on these factors and less and less on dialog or writing. Don't misunderstand, I still love those things when done well, but "tone" is the big one, and LTTP does that very well I think.

[quote]
5) Dungeon Issues: After I finished LttP, I thought that one of the best things about the game was its many fun dungeons. And that is true, the dungeons are mostly great! However, I do have two issues to discuss about them here. This is not one of the most damaging issues on this list for sure, as the many great, classic Zelda dungeons in this game are a key part of what makes it so good, but as good as it is, as in many other categories, in these dungeons some issues hold LttP back versus its successors.

The main issue I have with dungeons in this game is that there are too few shortcuts and the dungeons are too linear, so when you die, and you will die a lot because this is a tough game at least the first time you play it, you will usually be forced to replay the whole dungeon again from the beginning. This often can be just as hard this time as it was the last time, or harder if you used not easily replenishable items like fairies or potions, and it makes the dungeons...

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2017

I probably should write a full response to your post, which I have read, but one of the biggest disagreements we clearly have is about what makes world exploration fun. When you criticize LA's world for exactly the things I love about it, that the world is all broken up and divided, interesting and varied, while praising LttP for how (boring and) easy it is to explore, well, I think pretty much the opposite...

Quote: For my part, I find that the overworld in LA is a lot more restrictive with no real "flow" to be found to really speed up getting from one place to another.
"Flow"? The flow is how all of the areas connect, how the complexity of the world makes it more interesting to explore, how different things are as you go around. Everything about LA's world flows incredibly well, as the areas in the game connect together so well. The world design feels like more than an LttP-styled hub-and-spoke world, as the more complex map makes the game better. As much as I love OoT, one of its flaws is that it returns to an even stricter hub-based world design, with the central Hyrule Field surrounded by areas. Those areas are large and have a lot to do in them, and MM expanded them even more, but they are each separate areas you travel between via the hub. As I'm no fan of open worlds of course I'm fine with a hub-based world, but comparing that to the more intertwined areas of the worlds in LA or the Oracles games, it's not quite as good. That's something I like about the world in TP, it connects the world together better than we'd seen before in a 3d Zelda game.

So, when you say "flow" in reference to LttP, all I can think that you actually mean is "speed" -- that the only thing that makes a world design good is if you can get around it quickly? Why??? Why should just how quickly you can get around the world be some key factor in game world design? Sure, it is nice to quickly get where you want, but LA actually has a smaller world than LttP does, and no 2d Zelda game has a world so large that that's some really important factor. it never actually takes a long time to get across a 2d Zelda world. Still, sure of course I can understand not wanting to travel across that world if it's not fun, since that's one of my bigger issues with LttP. I just don't get your 'I really need to be able to get across the world quickly' thing.

Quote:Well, you say that this is one of your more significant issues with the game, but then you downplay it as a minor difference in taste, so I'm not really sure where you stand on this one.
It's important to me, but I was trying to be at least somewhat objective so I de-emphasized the clearly entirely subjective element that is graphical design. (On a somewhat similar note, the nostalgia point is marked "0" because I'd like to think that I'd still have a lot of issues with LttP regardless, due to how many of the issues I have with it are things I dislike in games beyond just this title...)

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 20th January 2017

Oh sorry that's not what I mean by "flow". I'm talking about a concept lots of people are talking about these days when it comes to game design. Flow refers to two concepts. The first is the notion of idea-break-iteration-break-iteration-break-conclusion. That is, how a level or dungeon in games from Mario to Zelda to Doom are made, especially these days now that this concept has really become concrete. So, in a Zelda dungeon for example, a solid design involves first introducing the basic element of the dungeon. In the tower of hera, that basic idea is the multiple levels and switch blocks. This will be introduced in a way that the player will find seemingly by accident in a safe area, such as at the bottom of the tower where the switch blocks need to be switched to move on, but nothing more. The dungeon takes a break from that to introduce falling between floors, and takes a break from that to introduce an iteration on the switch blocks. The ultimate item from the dungeon (which has no impact on the dungeon itself, so technically players can miss it) can only be found by combining these two lessons by using floor switches to change where holes are located and considering the physical layout of the entire dungeon to recognize where you are likely to fall when the holes are in certain positions. I can go on about design that makes you consider the entire layout of a dungeon (Link's Awakening uses this to amazing effect in Eagle Tower), but in terms of "flow" that puzzle is the culmination of that idea. Add in a little finisher in the form of keeping track of the holes during the final boss fight and you've got the basic formula. LTTP was one of the first to really nail this idea of flow to an extent developers hadn't really wrapped their heads around in games from the last generation, and certainly the first in the Zelda series to really apply the idea in a consistent way (Super Mario Bros 3 really nails the idea of flow too).

In the sense of an overworld though, flow refers to something else. That is, what's also called the basic "core loop". Doom 4 has been getting analyzed to death regarding it's "core loop", and while it does take breaks from that loop to let you explore levels, that core loop is the essential thing people actually "do", the thing they'll tell other people the game is about. In Doom 4, every single combat mechanic feeds the core loop of "moving forward and killing more demons", with anything that might get in the way of that shaved right off the game, aside from the secrets as a nice little break from the loop. So, you take your gun and you shoot up a demon. When the demon gets weak, you can finish it off with a quick melee kill. The kills themselves are shortened to the point that they feel like a command you input instead of an "unskippable cinematic". Technically, most games have moves that involve committing you to an animation you can't break away from, but it's the duration and how it's slipped into the core loop that seems to determine if people see it as an unskippable cutscene or a cool move. Heck, most moves in fighting games are commitments to an animation you can't stop once it's started (cancelling mechanics being an exception). The mistake a mod like Brutal Doom might make is for that animation to take you right out of the character and take about 3-5 seconds, completely disrupting that core loop. Doom 4 recognizes that the length of the quick kills should be no longer than the longest shooting animation, and on average about the same as the medium length shooting animations, so it "feels" like a move and not a cut scene. Going down a pipe in Mario is the same way. That's an unskippable animation, but it takes about as long as grabbing a mushroom, so it feels like something you're doing and not a cutscene. So, a quick kill will put you right in the middle of the action, and likely leave you surrounded by enemies. The game motivates you to do this by making these quick kills restore your health. Using the chainsaw for the quick kill will instead restore ammo. In other words, the safest most reliable way to stay alive and keep yourself armed is to try to get into the fray to quick kill enemies and keep your health topped off (and occasionally switch things up to get ammo back). To top it off, your character is crazy fast, just like in the first games, so running up to the enemy to finish them off can be done more safely. Not only does this keep you in the middle of the action instead of picking off enemies from a distance, it tends to keep you moving from one end of a room to the other, generally making enemy spawns take a path that ultimately leads you to the next intended location when all is said and done. The game has doors where the "switch" that unlocks them comes in the form of demon nests you need to break. Doing so summons a bunch more demons to kill. In effect, your character is intentionally starting fights instead of doing things to avoid them (the only way to be sure is killing every last one, so get their attention and bring them to you), even though in a more basic sense all those gore nests are is a set of switches to open a door somewhere. The end result of making every last part of the game mechanics work this way is a game that feels very frantic and fast paced, with you ending up on killing sprees that take you from one end of a room to another, or even from one end of a level to the other, with the occasional lull to give you time to breathe and maybe explore.

When I was talking about the overworld's "flow", what I was trying to say was that LTTP and many other Zelda games have a general idea of what the "core loop" of the overworld should be, what the core loop of the underworld should be, and what the overall gameplay loop should be. While a dungeon's loop involves methodically plodding along from one room to another, by the end (once you either open up enough shortcuts or obtain the dungeon's key item) the loop changes to a quicker pace so you don't get bored retreading old ground to get to the final showdown. Some dungeons change this up (like Hyrule Castle's second run), but that's the general idea. The overworld on the other hand has a different loop involving unlocking whole new areas, but within those areas you're given freer reign to go where you please and see what you like. Some games do this better than others. Link's Awakening doesn't have a bad overworld, but the general flow of it much more closely resembles one vast dungeon than the typical overworld of both previous and later Zelda games. The problem is, unlike most dungeons, you're going to be heading back to the overworld and exploring the same areas over and over again. It makes excellent and dense use of that layout, but repeated visits rarely have any "quick" workarounds, so I often have to go through rather tedious obstacles many times as I go back and forth. The worst has to be the river rafting mini-game, in which I have to go all the way around and back to the start about 4 or 5 times just to do a "complete" run of that section, getting every treasure and fully uncovering the map. I'm not asking to make it uneventful and just a mad dash from one side to another. I'm asking for there to be some sort of mechanic that gets me there in a way without interruption, or at least to FEEL like there's no interruption. Frankly, if I could dash, lift rocks, and jump without needing to manually equip all of those items, it wouldn't be an issue. It's all that constant pausing and reequipping that really makes it all stand out. The flow of tossing a rock out of the way, dash jumping over a few holes, and killing a few enemies in my path wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a constant need to pause the game between every single one of those. Link to the Past not only gives some free breathing room to work around certain obstacles (again, they're still there, but you've got faster options for dealing with them), but thanks to the SNES controller most everything you need is always equipped, from picking things up to running to swinging the sword. In part, this is a solvable problem for LA. If they ever felt like it, a "Super Deluxe" edition would take advantage of the larger button layout to permanently assign those most commonly used items to buttons, leaving two or three extra buttons for manual assignment of the more rarely needed items. Along those lines, the way flying and warping works leads to a core mechanic of going to the light world, working around an unassailable obstacle from the dark world, and then popping back into the dark world. Every aspect of that world travelling system feeds that core loop in a very effective way. Change that around too much and you've got little reason to ever head back to the light world once you get to the dark world. They did an amazing job making duel use of the space in this game, and I've come to really appreciate that in recent years.

I really do love Link's Awakening, and the layout of it's overworld is unique among Zelda games for exactly the reason I layed out above. It's flow resembles one massive dungeon in a way no other Zelda game before or since has done. Frankly, I've played the game so much at this point that I've got ideal paths mapped out in my head to shorten travel times to a minimum for that second half of the game. Check out a few videos where people who played LTTP but are playing LA for the first time comment on that unique overworld layout. Heck, James Rolfe even commented about how tedious making it through the overworld could get at times, and just like us he did still love the game.

Aside from the controls, I wouldn't lose that uniqueness to get the flow back for this ONE game, but I also wouldn't want every game to resemble it. It was a clear tradeoff. The same sort of thing is true of Majora's Mask. I love that game, and I love the 3 day time limit and how that affects the gameplay, but as you've said time and time again it comes with a massive tradeoff in terms of repeating things you've done before if you happen to take too long. It's a catch 22 situation in either case, but I love that they're willing to run these experiments.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Sacred Jellybean - 23rd January 2017

Quote:As a result of the various issues I have with this game, it has been a regular target of mine; there are posts of mine online going back to at least 2003 criticizing Zelda: LttP on various fronts. I have never compiled those various criticisms into one single article, however, so after thinking about doing so for some time, that is what I have done here.

A Black Falcon: Painstakingly cataloguing obscure arguments from 14 years ago for our enrichment.

ABF: "All in a day's work. :)"

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 25th January 2017

That's pretty accurate, but hey, someone's gotta do it, and ABF is a historian after all. I bet he even spelunks now and again.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 22nd March 2017

So... I was thinking that I never actually noticed that Link's hair in this game was pink when I was a kid. I played a little of it recently and noticed that I never actually thought that pink stuff on his head was supposed to be his hair. I guess I thought it was supposed to be some sort of hood-like lining attached to the bottom of his hat, with what I would later find out are his weird "sidebangs" being flappy bits meant to cover the ears. Heck, the LTTP Player's Guide didn't help, with full illustrations of Hylians wearing those sorts of winter hats.

You know what? I think I'm going to keep thinking that.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - A Black Falcon - 22nd March 2017

Yeah, that "LttP Link has pink hair" thing has been around, but unfortunately I don't think it's accurate; I'm pretty sure that the pink is the hat, not his hair. It was probably done to help Link's sprite stand out from the backgrounds, they used to do that kind of thing -- think of how Terra's sprite in FF6 has green hair, versus the blond hair of her art design.

Why Zelda: A Link to the Past is Overrated (but good) - Dark Jaguar - 22nd March 2017

It works for Terra, since she's not exactly what you'd call... human.