Tendo City
Star Wars: Rogue One - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One (/showthread.php?tid=7008)

Star Wars: Rogue One - A Black Falcon - 1st January 2017

I saw the movie yesterday, and it was actually pretty good, for the most part! Maybe it helped that I went in without any particular expectations either way, but I did enjoy most of the movie. I really only have two complaints, that in closing one big sort of plot hole from the original Star Wars they open up a bunch of new ones, some major, and that the ending is WAY too depressing (a happier ending would have done wonders to how much I liked the movie!), but otherwise Rogue One was pretty good, surprisingly enough.

Star Wars: Rogue One - Great Rumbler - 11th February 2017

Nah, it didn't need a happier ending, just some more cohesion in the first half. Still better than any of the Prequels.

Star Wars: Rogue One - alien space marine - 11th February 2017

A Black Falcon Wrote:I saw the movie yesterday, and it was actually pretty good, for the most part! Maybe it helped that I went in without any particular expectations either way, but I did enjoy most of the movie. I really only have two complaints, that in closing one big sort of plot hole from the original Star Wars they open up a bunch of new ones, some major, and that the ending is WAY too depressing (a happier ending would have done wonders to how much I liked the movie!), but otherwise Rogue One was pretty good, surprisingly enough.

What did you think of Peter Cushin's (Tarkin) digital ressurection? The actor has been dead for thirty years, it makes you wonder if we will see another actor motion capture Alec Guiness's face as the ghost of Obiwan in a similar fashion in episode VIII

Star Wars: Rogue One - A Black Falcon - 11th February 2017

Nice to see you post again... and about this film, since apparently no one else cared? That was odd, but okay.

I think it definitely needed a happier ending, with that I'd rank it more highly... as it is though, it's a good movie that I liked quite a bit, but it does have a bad ending. (As for the first half of the movie, apparently they were reworking things significantly throughout production of the movie, which you can kind of see... like, why whats his name, the older black guy, got killed off midfilm, he was apparently originally going to have a bigger role but it was cut back, or something...)

But as for comparing this movie to the other Star Wars movies, it's kind of difficult because this is a very different kind of movie from any past Star Wars film. As much as I liked this movie, the original trilogy is better... and as one of the relatively few who liked the prequels, I would not say it's better than all of those movies either. I consider The Force Awakens to the worst Star Wars movie, remember, not the prequels. As for this movie though, Rogue One well might be better than Episode I, I'll need to think about that and maybe rewatch Ep. 1 again to decide, but that's it; I at least really liked Ep. 2 (I very rarely care about movie trailers, but I remember watching the Ep. 2 trailers over and over, before its release... and it did not disappoint much.), and Episode 3 is right up there with the original trilogy in quality. It's been a little while since I last watched the prequels though, so it's hard to say for sure offhand; maybe I should rewatch them again and see... but I'm guessing that's where it'd go, above ep. 1 and The Force Awakens, but that's it.

When comparing TFA to Rogue One, to reprise what I said at the time (see http://tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7169-Star-Wows-Power-Gets-Up ), TFA felt like a mediocre, overly edgy (killing off Han?) reboot EU novel turned into a film. It was fun to watch, sure, but it was a bad Star Wars movie and is vastly inferior to all six of the real Star Wars movies, the ones worked on by George Lucas. Rogue One benefits by not trying to be a 'classic' Star Wars movie and failing like TFA did, but instead trying to be something completely different, a side-story. Excepting a few things, such as the films' many plot holes (and this is not a small issue, if you look at how many there are) and the disappointing ending, it mostly succeeds at that. By aiming for less they ended up with more, basically.

alien space marine Wrote:What did you think of Peter Cushin's (Tarkin) digital ressurection? The actor has been dead for thirty years, it makes you wonder if we will see another actor motion capture Alec Guiness's face as the ghost of Obiwan in a similar fashion in episode VIII
Hmm... well, that it was a CG face was kind of obvious, but I do think it mostly worked. You couldn't have that film without Tarkin in it, it wouldn't make sense, so they came up with a pretty decent solution that solved that problem. It was a bit weird to see this CG-headed character next to all the real actors, but what else could they do, just have another actor play the role? That would probably be even more distracting... so yeah, it's a bit odd, but it did work.

Star Wars: Rogue One - Dark Jaguar - 12th February 2017

I think you could have that movie without Tarkin, if they just never actually showed him on screen and just were finding out about his actions as they went along. That's one way to do a movie like this, just show the team and focus completely on them and their reactions finding out about this.

Star Wars: Rogue One - A Black Falcon - 12th February 2017

Given that it's a movie all about the Death Star, though, I'm not sure how you could make that work, given how central Tarkin's role was in the project...