Tendo City
The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) (/showthread.php?tid=6992)

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 10th October 2016

... So um, I wasn't really planning on getting another console now and definitely didn't think I'd get one of these things, but after seeing this price a few days ago, I just couldn't resist.  Well, I did resist at first, only to return later that day and bought it.  Heh.  (Note that I posted most of this in the 'games I bought' thread too, but this version is like twice as long as that one since it has lots more detail.)

Hardware
--
Playstation 3 (12GB black Super Slim model) - $60, with power cord, HDMI cable, a (micro?) USB charging cable, and a Dual Shock 3 controller.  Yes, really.  This system doesn't have a hard drive in it now, which is why it was so cheap, so I'll definitely need to get a HDD... but this is a really good price for a PS3 I actually got locally, I don't think I've seen one this cheap from an actual store.  The Super Slim is kind of weird in that it has a top-load drive, a definite step down in some ways from the slot-load drive of the earlier models, but it's probably more reliable so that's fine.  I will definitely need a hard drive though, far more games require large installs o nthe PS3 than the 360 so I won't be able to get away with just the internal memory for a year or more like I did on the 360.  Too bad.  Is this because the Blu-Ray drive reads slower than a DVD does?  Lots of multiplatform titles have multi-gig installs on PS3 but read straight off the disc on 360!  I know a few 360 games install (GTA5, NFS Rivals, a few more), but not many  But whatever the reason for this on the PS3, it's kind of annoying.  On the other hand though, I didn't even think of this until after I'd bought it, but I finally have a Blu-Ray player now.  I only have a couple of Blu-Rays and don't want to spend bunches of money on them, DVD quality is mostly fine... still though, I  guess it's nice to have, even if Blu-Ray is almost outdated now, with 4K Blu-Ray out now.

Additionally I got a Playstation Move camera, two Playstation Move controllers, and a Move Navigation controller for $7 each, because motion controls are fun.  Gamestop's prices for these things are so high, but fortunately a local chain is much cheaper.

PS3 Games (complete unless noted)
--
MLB 12 The Show - $2, disc only (this is the only disc only game, all others are complete)
Puppeteer - $9
LittleBigPlanet 2 - $10 - These games are okay, but it's a shame they aren't more fun to play... the physics and controls are just not quite right.
Lair - $4 - Good or bad, as a Factor 5 fan I definitely had to get this game!
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - $3
Resistance: Fall of Man - $1
Motorstorm - $1 - I've played some of this one now and it seems pretty good.  Good graphics, fun gameplay.
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - $9
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - $4.50
Sports Champions - $3 - The original Move game.  Seems quite solid, with some fun sports minigames.
Genji: Days of the Blade -$4 - Had to get the infamous "giant enemy crab" game!
Sorcery - $3 - A Move game I've wanted to play.  I know this got mediocre reviews, but for some reason I've always really wanted to try this game, so I made sure to get it.
The Shoot - $3 - A Move light gun style shooter.
Tales of Xillia - $18 - I definitely wanted to get one of the three PS3-exclusive Tales games (well, PS3-exclusive in the US), so I got this one. It doesn't have a manual, but I don't think there is one.
Dragon's Crown - $18 - This is a quite good beat 'em up.  It got some bad press for the sexualized characters, but the gameplay's very fun and the graphics are good 2d stuff.

Download games - I did not buy any now, but I have five games I got for the PSP that are also PS3 compatible -- the four PS Minis I have (Trailblazer, Fortix, Retro Cave Flier, ), and my one PS1 Classics game, Crash Bandicoot.
Additionally I have one PS3-only download game that I got some time back, After Burner Climax.  The games' licensing rights ran out some time back so the gaqme was removed from sale (and it is still gone, you can't buy this game anymore).  Unfortunately I didn't hear about it in time to buy it for the 360... or the US PS3 either.  But the game was available on the European PS3 store for some days longer than the other systems and I really wanted to have this game, so I made a EU PSN account, found a website to buy some UK PSN points from, and bought this game.  It runs just fine on a US PS3; you need multiple accounts, but don't need to switch them to run other-account games, which is nice.  And yeah the game is great fun, and it's really unfortunate that it is now impossible to buy!

Additionally, downloading from the Playstation Store to PSPs directly via the internet was shut down a year or more ago, so you can't download games to a PSP from the system itself anymore, you need to do that via another Playstation console. Last year I tried to figure out if you can download games to a PSP from the web, but had no luck, at least not for US-region titles.  So, I had a couple of PSP games that I had bought over a year ago but hadn't been able to play until now --  I had not previously been able to play Z.H.P., Black Rock Shooter, or Guilty Gear Accent Core + (Plus).  Now I can, since I downloaded them to PS3 then copied them over to PSP via USB, and that's great.

As for my thoughts on the hardware, I made a thread about my first (bad!) impressions of the interface.  The few games I've played so far do seem good though, so it does feel like it was worth getting.  If the PS3 was fully backwards compatible on the PS4 I wouldn't have bought this I think, but it's not, so it is something worth having...

(Oh, I do not currently have a PS Plus subscription, never have, and don't plan on getting one soon unless there's something essential that needs it.  I already pay for Xbox Live...)
So what do I think of the hardware?  Well, the Move works pretty well, it's responsive.  It's unfortunate that you can't use it with a pointer in menus though, that'd be a nice option -- the PS3 menu interface is terrible compared to the 360's!  Seriously, here's a list:

- Gamepad only in menus, no PS Move pointer support.  This is the opposite issue from the Wii, where I wish it had both gamepad and pointer support in the system menus instead of only pointer.
- It's slow, doing anything takes longer (loading...)
- There is no simple list of how much space games/apps take up for example, unlike the 360, you need to go into each games' page separately.  This means that if you do start running out of space, figuring out what's big could be tedious.
- The store is not integrated into the OS but instead is a completely separate application
- You cannot view the download list while in the store and cannot view the menu in the store either (you need to quit the store to view what you're downloading, then wait for the store to load again to go back in if you needed to...)
- After downloading a game you need to install them and this must be done on the interface, not in the background.  On the 360 the whole download and install process is seamless and runs in the background, but that doesn't work here.  
- And why is the download and install separate anyway?  On PS3 and Wii you don't need to install things, that's just a part of the download!  This serves to slow things down even more, installs are slow.  And on a related note, deleting things on this system takes FAR longer than it does on 360 or Wii.  Why does everything in the interface take so long?
- For any titles on multiple Sony platforms (PS3/PSP, PS3/PSP/Vita, or such), it seems that their installers stay permanently in the Games list... above all actual games.  So to find your downloaded games you need to scroll past these useless installers to get down to the games below, which is completely stupid.  The PSP does not have this issue, you don't have to scroll past useless installers to get to actual games, etc.  This is worse because...
- Sorting functions in your downloaded games list are minimal, and it's harder to find a game here than it is on the Wii or 360.  You cannot create custom folders or re-organize the games' order yourself as you could on the Wii, and there are fewer sorting options than the 360 has.  There isn't a fast scroll option like using the L/R buttons to scroll pages on 360 game lists either.  And while the 360 has a nice built-in search function, the PS3 doesn't; you just need to scroll down this stupid list until you find the game in question.  The only folders option just sorts them into three categories -- PS1 Classics, PS3 games, and PS Minis.  Sure I only have a handful of downloadable games right now, but with more stuff I can see this being awful!

As for the hardware itself, for a Sony system it looks okay, but while as I said earlier the top-loading drive probably is less prone to failure than slot-load drives are, it makes switching games takes slightly longer and doesn't look as nice.  While I have the second version of the 360, not the last, MS kept a slot-load drive in the last 360 (the E).
- The Super Slim has only two USB ports, both on the front only, and you'll need one of those for the PS Move camera... which I really wish I could plug into the back.  The controller is okay, but of course I've never liked Sony controllers much.  I like the triggers on this pad a lot more than PS1 or PS2 shoulder buttons though, for sure!  They're nice.  The surface on the analog stick feels a little nicer than the PS1 or PS2 ones as well I think.  Still though, I'd have liked to see the boomerang controller...

Once you finally get into a game the system works fine, but seriously this interface is not very good.  I have heard that the Xbox One's interface is slow and the PS4's is actually better, that'd be an unfortunate reversal.  As for comparing it to the Wii there are plusses and minuses; the Wii's interface is easier and quicker to use and is more customizable, but the Wii does also have a separate store app and you can't download/install games you bought in the background.

So anyway, overall, the PS3 has some good games but a bad interface.  I'm sure everyone knew this 9-10 years ago, but it is kind of surprising that over the course of the very long 7th generation this was the best Sony could come up with...

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 12th October 2016

Top loading has fewer moving parts, but slot loading is still less prone to failure than front tray loading drives. That's been shown many times (and from my personal experience, tray loading mechanisms fail a LOT).

I prefer front loading simply due to it looking like "the future" compared to any other method (even though it's closest to how old floppy disks were loaded). It's what the XBox One uses now too, so pretty much everyone has switched to it at this point (including Apple). The most important thing in a front loading design is an emergency eject, which sadly none of the consoles (or Apple computers) bother with. That's just my personal taste though. I can see how one might prefer the Playstation 1 design.

The PS3 interface isn't that good in retrospect. It was clearly modeled after the PSP interface. The only interface I would consider worse is the Wii one, ironically enough. I mean, if you are aiming with the Wii remote, it's quick enough, but it has a huge number of issues. There's no good sorting, since folders aren't supported. Everything's shoved together across multiple "pages" of icons, and past a certain amount of space, you must relegate everything else into the "SD card" menu, which was as badly implemented as it could have been. Firstly, that SD card menu doesn't allow running the software off the SD card itself. Numerous people who have broken down how the Wii operates can tell you there is no good reason for this restriction. All software on the SD card is first copied to free space in the internal flash, and THEN is executed. This adds needless read/writes to the internal flash, bringing that flash ever closer to death. Once the Wii store shuts off for good, I'm going full-on hacked mode on my Wii.

Your list of games is sub optimal. I see a few good ones, but a lot of bad ones (Lair?). Here's some recommendations:

Demon's Souls - This game, and the series as a whole, has a reputation for challenge. It's true, but not nearly as much as you might think. This game is not NEARLY as hard as it is made out to be. It's just harder than most modern games is all. It isn't even close to as tough as Battle Toads or Super Ghouls and Ghosts. It is closer to the difficulty of an old game like, say, Double Dragon or MAYBE Zelda II. (My perspective on Zelda II is warped a bit because I've played it so many times, Zelda II in all fairness is probably still harder than Demon's Souls). The Souls games do have big enemies that hit really hard, and you can go down in only a few hits to even a regular enemy, but that's par for the course if you play classic games. I recommend it very much though. There's a lot to like about the game design. Namely, it is FAIR. I'm sure you know what I mean by that at this point. When you die, you'll almost always be cursing yourself, rather than the game. There's a scant few sections where you might be mad at the game, but the vast majority of the game is completely fair challenge where the fault lies with the player if they die. That's how I like it. Take your time and spend a few minutes just studying how each new enemy moves before you attack, and you'll get through. Even the placement can generally be turned to your advantage, as numerous enemies I tricked into falling to their deaths can attest to. Also, read item descriptions. There's a bit of lore behind the "souls" mechanic across this series that basically means you can read the past of every item you touch directly from the soul of those who touched it before you, and that's where you're going to piece together the game's backstory from.

Dark Souls - More of the same, if you don't already own this one on another system, go ahead and pick it up here. Unlike Demon's Souls, this one can't be purchased from the digital store.

Kingdom Hearts - I know you like anime, and if you're an American you like Disney, so this one's really a no brainer. The Final Fantasy references are pretty thin on the ground, so you really don't need to have any familiarity with that series to enjoy this one. Pick up the two HD collections and see for yourself. They are basically beat 'em ups, closer to something like God of War or Devil May Cry than to an RPG of any sort, but enjoyable. I mean c'mon, don't you want to pal around with a big blue genie while beating up pirates? Maybe beat back a monster invasion alongside Scrooge McDuck, Stitch, and Tron? Yeah, you do.

Journey - This is more or less a "walking simulator", but one of the games that really makes the genre justify it's existence. You're randomly paired with other strangers playing the game, and it works just fine. I've never had a trek up a mountain path feel so grueling as in this game. It's short, but it is also cheap.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 13th October 2016

So for one update, what I was saying about installers is wrong -- if you delete them it doesn't affect the installed games themselves, thankfully. They're just there to copy to a PSP or Vita. Still, you cannot move them into a folder and they will always appear ABOVE all games downloaded to your PS3 (ie the disc in the system is first, then them, then downloaded games) is just absurd! There are good reasons to want to keep those, or at least some of them, but having them make it harder to get to the actual games is bad.

As for the PS3 interface versus the Wii, yeah, that you have to download games from the SD card to the Wii system in order to play them is really stupid, yes. However, at least you can organize the games in the order you want, to reduce the amount of time it takes to get to the game you want to play! That is not the case on PS3. And the Wii does remember the last game you played from the SD card so if you play one at a time it doesn't wear out the internal memory uses, at least. Since you bring up a big negative about the Wii I'm not sure which of these two is worse than the other; what is sure is that the X360's is better than either of them. You can't re-organize the games there, but it's easy to flip through your library five games at a time, and the option to organize games in order from most recently played is fantastic and is usually the one I use.
Quote:Top loading has fewer moving parts, but slot loading is still less prone to failure than front tray loading drives. That's been shown many times (and from my personal experience, tray loading mechanisms fail a LOT).

I prefer front loading simply due to it looking like "the future" compared to any other method (even though it's closest to how old floppy disks were loaded). It's what the XBox One uses now too, so pretty much everyone has switched to it at this point (including Apple). The most important thing in a front loading design is an emergency eject, which sadly none of the consoles (or Apple computers) bother with. That's just my personal taste though. I can see how one might prefer the Playstation 1 design.
Yeah, slot-load systems are kind of cool because it makes switching games easy and it does look kind of futuristic, particularly with lighting like the Wii has. As for reliability though, is there really a difference between slot load and tray load? I'd think both, being motorized, would fail sometimes... and as for disc drive failure myself, I have had some systems' lasers die, but that's not related to the way discs go into the system. I've never had a tray motor fail.

Quote:Your list of games is sub optimal. I see a few good ones, but a lot of bad ones (Lair?).
Of course I was going to get Lair, it's by Factor 5! I really love their Rogue Squadron and Turrican games (all of Factor 5's games from the early '90s to early '00s are fantastic! RS2 was my first GC game, Super Turrican is in my top 5 for the SNES, etc.), but I'd never played Lair and have always wanted to, reviews or no. I tried the first mission and it seems alright, though I can see why people criticized the motion controls. They mostly work, but I'm sure the stick control option would be more accurate. I played that mission with tilt controls, but I could see going back and forth, or switching to just stick control if it got difficult. Through most of the first mission the sixaxis tilt controls were mostly responsive, and it's fun to fly around by tilting the controller. Aiming's REALLY generous with the lockon, so that wasn't a problem once I recognized what the lock-on looks like, there isn't as obvious a HUD here since it's fantasy-themed. The boss fight at the end of the mission was a pain though, there I couldn't figure out how to make the controls work right; there I wanted regular controls, but in that case it didn't matter because it was a "you're supposed to lose" battle anyway. So we'll see.

As for your game suggestions, I have Dark Souls for PC and have mentioned before that I tried it once but very rapidly lost interest, quit before beating the first boss, and have never touched it again. It feels janky and not all that fun, first. Second it's a third-person behind-the-character action game, a genre I have rarely loved. Yes, sometimes I've had fun with some, and I have been playing Hyrule Warriors Legends for 3DS and find it decently entertaining, but it's just not a favorite kind of game of mine. And third, I've never been someone who likes playing really hard games unless I actually like the gameplay. I love games, I'm not amazing at all of them or something, and stuff like I Want to Be the Guy is way more frustrating than fun. So yeah, I quit on Dark Souls after dying at the first boss a couple of times and have never had too much interest in going back.

Plus, who in the world makes a game with a big open-ish world and refuses to put in a map system? That's inexcusable!

So, spending the apparently $20 that Demon's Souls would cost doesn't seem like the best use of money, at least right now... I might get it eventually, hopefully for less than that if possible.

Quote:Kingdom Hearts - I know you like anime, and if you're an American you like Disney, so this one's really a no brainer. The Final Fantasy references are pretty thin on the ground, so you really don't need to have any familiarity with that series to enjoy this one. Pick up the two HD collections and see for yourself. They are basically beat 'em ups, closer to something like God of War or Devil May Cry than to an RPG of any sort, but enjoyable. I mean c'mon, don't you want to pal around with a big blue genie while beating up pirates? Maybe beat back a monster invasion alongside Scrooge McDuck, Stitch, and Tron? Yeah, you do.
The numerous HD Remaster collections on the PS3 are something I've been thinking about, yeah. There definitely seem to be more of them on PS3 than 360. On the one hand, these collections will have better versions of the games than you get on PS2 -- better graphics, and this is important given how awful PS2 image quality is, no need to swap out memory cards, multiple games on one disc, sometimes new features or modes either new to the collection or only released in Japan before, and such. Those are plusses for sure. But on the other hand, I already have the PS2 versions of a lot of these games! I have all three PS2 Jak games, all three Sly Cooper games, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both PS2 God of War games, both PS2 Kingdom Hearts games, Final Fantasy X and X-2... and yes, I haven't actually PLAYED all of those games, I admit, but I have them and have played some. Is it really worth spending money again on games I have pretty decent versions of already? How much do I want that extra bonus dungeon FFX-2 International adds, or the 3d remake of the GBA card-battle Kingdom Hearts game in KH 1.5 (and I should note, I've never played the game either on GBA or any other platform), or other things like that? I don't like re-buying things I already have just because this version looks nicer unless there are extras that definitely make it worth it. As much as I love ethem I never re-bought Star Wars episodes IV-VI on DVD because I own the original versions on VHS, for example... I did buy the three prequels, but not the originals. Of course I like videogames a lot more than movies, so I'm much more willing to spend money on games, but still... I'm not going to run out and buy a bunch of remakes of games I have, not right now. I'll probably eventually get at least some of the HD Remaster collections though, yes.

(Oh, the one HD Remaster collection I already have is the 360 version of the Zone of the Enders 1+2 remaster. Still haven't gotten around to trying them...)

As for the Kingdom Hearts series in general, I have the two PS2 games and the PSP game, but haven't actually played the first game for PS2 before. All I've played is the first couple hours of KHII for PS2 and maybe a similar amount of Birth by Sleep for PS2. They seem like pretty average third-person behind-the-character action/beat 'em up games, in a variant on that genre I have never cared all too much about, except with some RPG elements somewhere I haven't played the games enough to see.

Quote:closer to something like God of War or Devil May Cry than to an RPG of any sort,
Outside of a couple of minutes in a demo station once I have never played a Devil May Cry game, you know. I do own DMC4 for 360 (a loose disc game I bought for a dollar sometime) and the new DMC game for PC (got it in a bundle I bought for other stuff), I believe, but I've never played either one. The whole "character action" third-person beat 'em up subgenre is one that I have largely ignored, unless occasionally playing a few hours of a Dynasty Warriors-like game and finding it amusing counts... but those are different, and simpler, things. I did like Oni for the PC back in 2000, however, does that count? As for God of War though, while as I said I have both PS2 games, all I've actually played of that is the God of War II demo for PS2 (which I also still have, actually, in a cardboard sleeve). I did beat that, but it didn't really make me want to play the whole game -- Kratos is a TERRIBLE person, I hate QTEs, and the gameplay wasn't especially interesting beyond the spectable.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 14th October 2016

The slot loaders have one advantage over tray loaders. You can't accidentally break the slot loading mechanism by walking by the system. That's a big problem with trays, user accidents, which slot loaders side step.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 2nd November 2016

So now that I have a hard drive, here are more things for the "bad stuff about the PS3 OS" list!

- Sometimes, when you're downloading stuff, it will randomly quit you out of the store for no reason

- The store OS works terribly and, when you go to download something and then back out back to the search list you were just on, will almost never actually leave the title you just downloaded selected. Instead, something far above it will be selected.... usually the very top game in the list. Considering that everything is very slow to navigate and the PS3 demos list is over 500 games long, this is a huge problem, scrolling all the way down every time is really tedious! There isn't any kind of fast-move either, unlike the 360 which lets you scroll by pages with the shoulder buttons. If you want to download a bunch of stuff the PS3 store is barely usable.

- Downloads are really slow. I know I only have the PS3 connected by wi-fi, not wired internet as I have with the 360 (because I only have one cable long enough to go from the router to where my consoles are), but still, all that I've heard about how slow PSN downloading is seems to be true.

- I know I said this before, but it's seriously weird that you need to install things, and those install times are slow for large games.

- Worst of all, the PS3 apparently only supports one save location at a time. So, after I installed the hard drive, it asked me if I wanted to switch the save location over to that. If you say no, the HDD basically doesn't exist and is inaccessible. If you say yes, the 12GB internal flash basically doesn't exist and is inaccessible (unless you remove the hard drive and thus go back to it). That's just insane design! IF you have internal flash and a hard drive, you must allow people to use both sources. The PSP lets you run games off of the disc or out of the flashdrive menu, and the X360 allows you to save and load from the internal flash, hard drive, or, for save files, cloud saves... and it now even has 2TB external hard drive support too, though this was only added this year and surely would be slow considering that the 360 doesn't have USB 3.0. But anyway, on PS3, you have none of that, only "only the HDD" or "only the flash". What I've read online about the PS3 not supporting external hard drives at all now makes sense, how could it when it can't even support both its hard drive and what is basically an internal flash drive?

- So, in one positive, the PS3's maximum hard drive size allowed is 1TB, twice the size of the largest hard drive size the X360 supports, 500GB. That's good. However, after transferring over the stuff from the flash memory, before I had downloaded or installed anything else the system said it had only 829 of 919 GBs free! Uh, the internal flash was only 12GB, yes? So why did almost ten times that much space get used up? Sure, I'm unlikely to fill this up anytime soon given that I'm not subscribing to PSN Plus and thus aren't getting all those free game that that have now almost filled up my 360's hard drive, but still, that's kind of weird. Is there some big internal flash thing that it can't access if you have a hard drive plugged in and had to copy over, was this some massive system update, or what? Whatever the explanation, that doesn't make much sense.

On another note, because you were talking about it, I gave Dark Souls another try, this time on the 360 (where I got it some time back from games with gold, but never had played it; the version I'd previously tried was the PC one). I still don't know if I can actually see really getting into this series, but I did at least get past that first boss in the asylum this time, so I actually got to the main world. The controls are so bad in this game! Sure, the graphics are nice, it has a good sense of tension as you explore, you learn what to do and such if you stick with it... but with awful controls (shoulder buttons for attack is a terrible idea!), an often obnoxiously high difficulty level, and no map, this game has problems.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 3rd November 2016

Shoulder button for attack works very well I've found, because it frees up your thumbs for other things. Jumping can be a bit tricky, but other than that, I haven't had too many issues with that game's controls.

The PS3 store sucks now, but it didn't used to be so bad, I mean at least it was stable. The issue is when they made the PS4, they back-ported the store interface to the PS3, and the PS3 can barely handle that code. Yes, I've found it crashing pretty often too, on top of being choppy.

The download speeds are decent, but are slower than most western company's servers tend to be. That's true, but from your complaint I'd say the main issue is your use of wifi. Here's a quick and dirty fix, just unhook the ethernet cord from your 360 and hook it up to your PS3 when you're using it. A slightly more involved fix would be getting a Netgear switch (5 port and 8 port are pretty affordable) which supports full gig speed on each port. Go for the "unmanaged" versions, since "management" isn't needed at all in your situation and in fact adds a few microseconds of latency. Then you'll never need to move those cords again.

The "single save location at a time" is pretty odd, but that internal flash was added pretty late in to only the latest revisions. I wouldn't consider that "worst of all" since you should be relying on the hard drive anyway. It's a waste of perfectly good storage, but not by much. I shoved a 500GB hard drive in my original version PS3 years ago, and it's done me well so far. Ultimately, I'd love to replace it with a flash based drive when the prices drop enough to justify it, but the built-in flash in the later models is just too puny to make any good use of, so I don't miss it. Certain revisions of the 360 also have some built in flash (8 GB), and when I updated my model a few years ago I found myself more annoyed by the option to pick where to save than anything, since it pops up that XBox interface every single time I try to save any game and then I pick exactly the same location I ALWAYS pick for literally every game. The option is nice, but not when it becomes an annoyance. Perhaps if I could (like in Windows) check a box on that interface to "never ask me this again", I'd be okay with it.

I think that extra bit of flash memory the later models can use when there is no hard disk is larger than indicated. There's 12 for you and another hidden section for the OS. Since the OS is designed with the expectation that everything's running from the same device (as in previous models of the system), it probably copies over the entire OS to the hard drive when you say you want to use it, as well as the stuff in that 12 GB of user visible storage.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 3rd November 2016

Quote: Shoulder button for attack works very well I've found, because it frees up your thumbs for other things. Jumping can be a bit tricky, but other than that, I haven't had too many issues with that game's controls.
I have always disliked shoulder buttons in general, remember. Triggers are alright, but not shoulder buttons, or putting important functions on them. This is why, for example, in SNES, Gamecube, and such fighting games, systems which have four face buttons and two triggers but I don't have an arcade stick, I always remap the controls to have the medium and strong attacks on the face buttons and the weak attacks on the shoulders/triggers - I'd rather have the attacks I'm going to use more accessible, and leave the weak attacks, which I use less, for the stupid shoulder buttons.

Quote: The PS3 store sucks now, but it didn't used to be so bad, I mean at least it was stable. The issue is when they made the PS4, they back-ported the store interface to the PS3, and the PS3 can barely handle that code. Yes, I've found it crashing pretty often too, on top of being choppy.
The worst thing about it is how it's unable to remember where on a search list you were, but the crashes are annoying as well for sure. So it used to work better? They shouldn't have changed it then! Only put the new one on the PS4... I guess that makes sense though, back when the PSP PSN store still existed I don't remember it crashing or messing up like this.

Quote: The download speeds are decent, but are slower than most western company's servers tend to be. That's true, but from your complaint I'd say the main issue is your use of wifi. Here's a quick and dirty fix, just unhook the ethernet cord from your 360 and hook it up to your PS3 when you're using it. A slightly more involved fix would be getting a Netgear switch (5 port and 8 port are pretty affordable) which supports full gig speed on each port. Go for the "unmanaged" versions, since "management" isn't needed at all in your situation and in fact adds a few microseconds of latency. Then you'll never need to move those cords again.
So you agree with me that wired internet is faster than wi-fi? I never have liked wi-fi much, but unless I buy another long ethernet cable the PS3 is stuck with it. Longer-term a switch by the TV is probably a good idea, but for now this should do... unless I want to download something big, in which case yeah, switching the ethernet cable might be a good idea. (I already have to do that occasionally with the Wii, since Wiis only support really weak wi-fi security and I'm not going to drop security just for that system. So, ethernet-to-USB adapter only it is, for when I want to access the Wii shop. This same issue is why I never played Wii or PSP games online much, back when you could -- when I had a wi-fi router at all that is, I haven't always.)

As for Sony's download speeds, with how popular their system is this generation you'd think they'd care about having decent service. Too bad they don't.
Quote: The "single save location at a time" is pretty odd, but that internal flash was added pretty late in to only the latest revisions. I wouldn't consider that "worst of all" since you should be relying on the hard drive anyway. It's a waste of perfectly good storage, but not by much. I shoved a 500GB hard drive in my original version PS3 years ago, and it's done me well so far. Ultimately, I'd love to replace it with a flash based drive when the prices drop enough to justify it, but the built-in flash in the later models is just too puny to make any good use of, so I don't miss it.
Here's a question -- the first model of the PS3 has flash-card ports (memory stick, like the PSP, maybe?) on the front or something, yes? So can you access both those and a hard drive, or is it only one or the other like it is on this model with the HDD and internal flash? I haven't tried plugging in a flash drive to this thing, though I assume it wouldn't work, but what about the previous models which don't have internal flash memory accessible to the user...

Quote:Certain revisions of the 360 also have some built in flash (8 GB), and when I updated my model a few years ago I found myself more annoyed by the option to pick where to save than anything, since it pops up that XBox interface every single time I try to save any game and then I pick exactly the same location I ALWAYS pick for literally every game. The option is nice, but not when it becomes an annoyance. Perhaps if I could (like in Windows) check a box on that interface to "never ask me this again", I'd be okay with it.
The X360 S's internal flash is actually 4GB, not 8. My 360 is an S, that's what it has. I presume the last model, the E, is the same, though I'm not sure. Despite that though, because of how many more PS3 games require big hard drive installs than 360 games do, that 4GB will get you a lot farther than the PS3's "12GB" will. I think a larger percentage of it is actually available too.

Additionally, what I like to do on the 360 is to save save games to the internal flash, and game installs to the hard drive. So yeah, I find that option box quite useful! I do that so that even if the HDD dies, most of my save games should still be okay. I'd prefer to do this on the PS3 too if it let me, but sadly it doesn't... unfortunate, now you're just stuck hoping the HDD is fine. This is a new drive so it should be fine, but you never know.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 3rd November 2016

The PS3 store used to resemble the PSP store a lot more.

Do I agree with you about wired internet being faster? Well, I mean it's not even up for discussion. The specs are easily available and it's simply a fact. Even AC, at it's highest theoretical speed, reaches only 780 Mb a second, vs ethernet's 1 Gb (that's the standard right now, although 10 Gb does exist, it hasn't really been widely accepted yet). AD does allow up to 6 Gb, but it can't go through average walls very easily, if at all, and isn't a good replacement for AC. In practice, most devices still use either N or even G, and so they don't even approach the 1 Gb speeds. Most modern routers have a combination of either N or maybe AC and multiple gig ports. Almost nothing these days still uses a 100 Mb ethernet port (the Wii and Wii U are exceptions, but those devices also use G instead of AC, and G is still slower than 100 Mb connections).

That's not even the half of it. Even if AD were a good fit (as in a large open office space with few to no walls), there's the matter of reliability. Wireless simply isn't as reliable as a solid wired connection, and it likely never will be. There's just too many variables in a wireless connection which are all absent from a wired connection. There's also the matter of latency, and between SSID and security negotiating as well as the aforementioned reliability issues, all but those locations almost next to the access point are going to show both latency and speeds lower than the device's listed maximum.

That's not to mention basic security, as a wired connection won't have people listening in like a wifi connection can (even if secured, that data is still going over the air where a cable wouldn't).

This whole time I've badmouthed wifi quit a bit, but I do want to be clear that it has one overwhelming advantage, and that's for portable devices. I would never tether my laptop to an ethernet connection if I could avoid it, and I've never missed having such a port on any of my handheld devices, because it would hinder the main point of those things. Wifi is reliable enough to be usable and fast enough that I generally don't feel the need to download something at my computer and then copy it over (any more, as many older devices used B style connections). However, for online gaming or for truly truly truly outrageous download sizes (like modern computer games), I will stick with stationary wired connection. My recommendation is that if you CAN get a wire over to your stationary devices, do so, and you'll have a much better connection to show for it.

I do have the first model PS3 (with the PS2 chipset and everything), and it does have those flash memory ports. I even tossed a few old unused memory cards of each type in those slots just because I wasn't using them for anything else. In short, the memory isn't locked off when a hard drive is installed (to be clear, all but the latest cheapest model PS3 had a hard drive installed out of the box), but games can't actually "see" those cards. While you can store saved game files on any of them, it would be pretty inconvenient as you'd need to move it back to the hard drive for the game to do anything with it. Further, unlike the model you have, if the hard drive is removed entirely then the system won't even boot up correctly, since so much of the OS is stored on the hard drive. That internal flash was put in your model purely as a way to allow them the possibility of selling the system without a hard drive.

I've got the S revision, and you're right, it was 4 GB rather than 8 GB. For my part, the moment the 360 was updated with the option, I usually installed any game I was playing entirely to the hard drive anyway, just to avoid load times. The flash memory would of course reduce them further. One big issue with the 360 is the lack of official support for using whatever hard drive you want. That's one area where Sony comes out ahead, at least. With the PS3, if you want to store your games in flash, you can buy an internal flash hard drive. They've got some pretty nice ones now, though the cost per gig is going to be higher so a 1 TB drive is going to be out of your price range I'd imagine. Technically, one can do that with the 360, but MS sure makes it hard. For one, special 3rd party formatting programs will be needed, and for two there's that really annoying drive bay that is shaped to only really fit MS's own proprietary drives. While other SATA drives CAN fit, they sit pretty loose and could come unplugged pretty easily. One could cut open the little black box MS's drives come in and swap in their own drive into that box to solve that problem, but it's rather annoying that MS makes people hop through all those hoops. Well, there's always just using a USB flash drive. USB 2.0 is technically faster than the SATA connection used internally on the 360, but in practice most USB 2 ports don't actually come close to that maximum so a SATA connection still ends up a bit more reliably fast in the long run.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 5th November 2016

I will respond to that, but right now I need to add one more thing to the list of bad things about the PS3 OS. I referenced this in the last point on my list in the OP, but didn't mention this element of the problem, and it's key.

- On the Xbox 360, in your games list there is an option to display only full games and not demos. This is extremely useful because I have lots of demos installed, and it saves a huge amount of time to be able to only look at the full games. On the PS3, however, no such option exists, so you're stuck sifting through a list of all of your PS3 games and demos randomly mixed together. There IS an option to sort by recently installed (or maybe also recently played), which is great because on 360 as I said earlier that's what I use most of the time, but no option to list only full games is a big annoyance.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 5th November 2016

The lack of full folder support is pretty annoying, but I would say I don't tend to keep demos around anyway. I'll either buy the game or delete the demo, but I don't tend to keep vast lists of demos around.

As of right now, both the PS4 and Wii U fully support custom folders. It's a huge step up from previous interfaces. The XBox One (which is using Windows 10 as it's operating system) oddly omits folders, which is very annoying. Even the 3DS and Vita eventually added in folder support, which is great and a now expected feature. Hopefully the NX includes such support out of the box.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 9th November 2016

Folder support is great, yeah. I use a folder on the 3DS for all the demos for instance.

Quote:Do I agree with you about wired internet being faster? Well, I mean it's not even up for discussion. The specs are easily available and it's simply a fact. Even AC, at it's highest theoretical speed, reaches only 780 Mb a second, vs ethernet's 1 Gb (that's the standard right now, although 10 Gb does exist, it hasn't really been widely accepted yet). AD does allow up to 6 Gb, but it can't go through average walls very easily, if at all, and isn't a good replacement for AC. In practice, most devices still use either N or even G, and so they don't even approach the 1 Gb speeds. Most modern routers have a combination of either N or maybe AC and multiple gig ports. Almost nothing these days still uses a 100 Mb ethernet port (the Wii and Wii U are exceptions, but those devices also use G instead of AC, and G is still slower than 100 Mb connections).

That's not even the half of it. Even if AD were a good fit (as in a large open office space with few to no walls), there's the matter of reliability. Wireless simply isn't as reliable as a solid wired connection, and it likely never will be. There's just too many variables in a wireless connection which are all absent from a wired connection. There's also the matter of latency, and between SSID and security negotiating as well as the aforementioned reliability issues, all but those locations almost next to the access point are going to show both latency and speeds lower than the device's listed maximum.

That's not to mention basic security, as a wired connection won't have people listening in like a wifi connection can (even if secured, that data is still going over the air where a cable wouldn't).
Interesting info, it's good to know that yes, wired really is better.

I have several issues with wi-fi. First, the first wi-fi router we got is one we got in the '00s and used for many years. It was Netgear or something, but worked terribly! From just one floor away sometimes computers couldn't see it, one laptop we had wouldn't connect to it at all, it was really unreliable and would drop out regularly... yeah, that was bad. After not having a router of my own for a while I got one early last year, and it works pretty well. It does need rebooting occasionally, but it's way better than that one. I did some research before choosing one, and it was worth it. But yeah, internet speeds are definitely slower on wi-fi than they are on wired, which is why I really wanted the 360 on wired.

Additionally, I have been hesitant about the whole 'wi-fi signals are bad for you'; I know you can't get away from them, and cellphones are the bigger issue versus regular wi-fi from all I've heard, and some studies show no negative health effects from cellphones, but are they really safe? We don't know for sure.

Quote:This whole time I've badmouthed wifi quit a bit, but I do want to be clear that it has one overwhelming advantage, and that's for portable devices.
This is also true of course; I got that wi-fi router because I was also getting a tablet, and you need wifi for that. It's also proven really useful for the 3DS of course. Because it's got higher security than old wi-fi system support it's useless for the Wii (or PSP or DS, but both of their internet is dead now anyway so that doesn't matter), so for the Wii store I need to use a wired internet adapter, and switch the cable from the 360 of course. This pain is part of why I so rarely played Wii games online, I never had a reliable wi-fi router to hook it up to (or much interest in playing much Wii online, with how limited it was... except for that one week I was playing The Last Story online before it shut down, that was really fun for some reason. But anyway.

Quote: I do have the first model PS3 (with the PS2 chipset and everything), and it does have those flash memory ports. I even tossed a few old unused memory cards of each type in those slots just because I wasn't using them for anything else. In short, the memory isn't locked off when a hard drive is installed (to be clear, all but the latest cheapest model PS3 had a hard drive installed out of the box), but games can't actually "see" those cards. While you can store saved game files on any of them, it would be pretty inconvenient as you'd need to move it back to the hard drive for the game to do anything with it. Further, unlike the model you have, if the hard drive is removed entirely then the system won't even boot up correctly, since so much of the OS is stored on the hard drive. That internal flash was put in your model purely as a way to allow them the possibility of selling the system without a hard drive.
But it can actually access them and also the HDD? Then why in the world can't the 12GB model keep the OS installed on the flash and let you use it, and also let you use the HDD for games? I could accept something like what you describe, that is games only being able to save to the device they are installed to, if it'd just let you use them all,, and not waste like 60-70GB of HDD space for something that could have just been left on the system! I really hope that some technical limitation was a factor here, because it kind of sounds like the 12GB is less functional here than the first model, if just by a little bit... apart from it being able to run without a hard drive installed, of course, that is good.

Quote: I've got the S revision, and you're right, it was 4 GB rather than 8 GB. For my part, the moment the 360 was updated with the option, I usually installed any game I was playing entirely to the hard drive anyway, just to avoid load times. The flash memory would of course reduce them further. One big issue with the 360 is the lack of official support for using whatever hard drive you want. That's one area where Sony comes out ahead, at least. With the PS3, if you want to store your games in flash, you can buy an internal flash hard drive. They've got some pretty nice ones now, though the cost per gig is going to be higher so a 1 TB drive is going to be out of your price range I'd imagine.
I've never owned a flash-based hard drive, so I have no idea how much faster they are than regular drives.

Quote:Technically, one can do that with the 360, but MS sure makes it hard. For one, special 3rd party formatting programs will be needed, and for two there's that really annoying drive bay that is shaped to only really fit MS's own proprietary drives. While other SATA drives CAN fit, they sit pretty loose and could come unplugged pretty easily. One could cut open the little black box MS's drives come in and swap in their own drive into that box to solve that problem, but it's rather annoying that MS makes people hop through all those hoops. Well, there's always just using a USB flash drive.
The biggest issue with X360 hard drives isn't the various enclosures, the PS3 needs one too (or at least the Super Slim does). The biggest issue is that you can only use hard drive sizes that MS released, for driver/formatting reasons, which means that people were stuck with only slowly being able to upgrade their hard drive size if they got the system early, as MS slowly released larger hard drives over time until stopping with the last one, the 500GB drive which first released in 2013 (7-8 years after release!). And it didn't have 2TB external drive support until this year, yes?

In contrast, the PS3 supports any drive up to 1TB, no restrictions. That is nice.

Quote:USB 2.0 is technically faster than the SATA connection used internally on the 360, but in practice most USB 2 ports don't actually come close to that maximum so a SATA connection still ends up a bit more reliably fast in the long run.
... Huh, I didn't know that.

On a mostly unrelated note though, man USB 1.0 is slow! On those rare occasions I plug a USB flash drive into my old computer, the WinME machine from '01, it takes forever to transfer anything not small from it because of how crazy-slow access is...

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 9th November 2016

USB 1.0/1.1 was designed without file transfer in mind. My own keyboard dates from that time period and is a 1.1 device (I just recently cleaned the entire thing in and out, and it sure needed it). For keyboards and mice, the speed of 1.1 far exceeds anyone's use case (by the time you're typing fast enough for it to be an issue, you've probably already set your keyboard on fire). USB 2.0 came later when they realized just how important file transfer would be for the spec. USB 3.0 and 3.1 are great, but I've been rather disappointed to see how slowly a number of devices have been to adopt it. Are there even any web cams that use 3.0 yet? I mean, with 4KHD and 120 Htz, it sure would be useful at this point to handle all that data in a fast manner, perhaps without compression.

If you're curious, flash drives are crazy fast compared to hard discs. In fact, on most PCs (including my own), the biggest modern bottleneck is the hard disk speed. I do ultimately intend to replace my 4TB drive with a flash drive (it'll be a much more convenient setup if I can just move over a partition than if I had to reinstall Windows completely just to set up a Windows partition on a much smaller flash drive). Right now, 4TB drives cost about as much as a cheap car. So, I'm waiting a few years for prices to become more reasonable. Hopefully I won't fill up this drive before then :D. Eh, who am I kidding? Games these days take up like 50GB each. I'll have it full by the end of next year.

Oh, you were asking about why your model PS3 doesn't even let you "see" the flash once you've got the hard drive installed. I think I covered this above, but here's my take on it. I think it was simple lazy coding and a lazy workaround. As I said, the OS is partially installed on the system's hard drive. The OS also makes the assumption there is only one hard drive. Your model is likely set up so that, in order to prevent confusing the OS, "hides" the "flash" hard drive when another is physically installed. That way, the OS never tries to install updates to the wrong area. They may also have it set up so that this flash partition still has that OS data, so when the added hard drive is removed, it can still boot back to that flash partition in a pinch. Contrast that with how the OS handles devices plugged into either the memory card ports on my model or through a USB port. Those are never used to boot the system in any situation, not even an emergency like if the hard drive is removed, so there's never any chance the OS could get confused (they would also be "flagged" internally in very different ways). Lazy, yes, but I think that's what they likely decided on.

We've talked about the whole "gives you cancer" wifi fears before, but I really want to reiterate that simply saying "we don't have all the science in" (no matter how often and how many tests come back showing that no, once again, wifi doesn't appear to cause any illness) is not a good attitude. This is something I've seen a lot in a very certain wing of liberals (and, frankly, a very certain similarly minded set of conservatives around here in Oklahoma, where you can find a chiropractic clinic for every church). Certain liberal minded people will claim to be pro-science on issues of climate change and evolution, but go totally fringe when it comes to their thoughts on psychiatric medication or vaccines. The science completely disproves their fears on the later, but they dismiss that with arguments absolutely IDENTICAL to arguments people against climate change or evolution use to dismiss the scientific consensus on those topics. Fears on the dangers of cell phone radiation, to me, are no different than fears about vaccines. It's kinda beyond the scope of a thread on buying a PS3, but if you want my opinion, I don't think there's anything to worry about, nor do I think there's some major gap in knowledge that needs to be filled before reaching that conclusion.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - A Black Falcon - 18th November 2016

Another issue with the PS3 interface.

- On the Xbox 360, if you buy a game on the PC and then turn on your 360, it will automatically download it. On PS3, however, it does not do that; you need to manually go into the store's back-purchases list and tell it to download the game. It's a real pain.

On another note, and I don'[t know how much of this is wi-fi vs. wired, but yesterday I tried out the Crunchyroll (anime streaming service) apps for the X360 and PS3, and found that while they both mostly work, the PS3 one had some bad loading problems at times and crashed several times, while I didn't have any issues with the 360 one. I'd be willing to consider the video-loading problems to maybe be a wi-fi issue, but the crashing thing shouldn't be connected to that. (Also, while the Crunchyroll apps work, they aren't as good as the Youtube app because it doesn't support pausing a video and then continuing it later after quitting the program. That's a pretty nice thing to be able to do and the Youtube app does support it.)

As for the games though, some of the games are good; I definitely don't regret getting this system, it's got a lot of good stuff you can't play on other consoles. 3D Dot Game Heroes is quite fun, it's great to finally get to play it!

Quote: We've talked about the whole "gives you cancer" wifi fears before, but I really want to reiterate that simply saying "we don't have all the science in" (no matter how often and how many tests come back showing that no, once again, wifi doesn't appear to cause any illness) is not a good attitude. This is something I've seen a lot in a very certain wing of liberals (and, frankly, a very certain similarly minded set of conservatives around here in Oklahoma, where you can find a chiropractic clinic for every church). Certain liberal minded people will claim to be pro-science on issues of climate change and evolution, but go totally fringe when it comes to their thoughts on psychiatric medication or vaccines. The science completely disproves their fears on the later, but they dismiss that with arguments absolutely IDENTICAL to arguments people against climate change or evolution use to dismiss the scientific consensus on those topics. Fears on the dangers of cell phone radiation, to me, are no different than fears about vaccines. It's kinda beyond the scope of a thread on buying a PS3, but if you want my opinion, I don't think there's anything to worry about, nor do I think there's some major gap in knowledge that needs to be filled before reaching that conclusion.
There is absolutely nothing similar between fears over wi-fi and those other things you mention because it's something with some actual science behind it, which is something definitely not the case for either of those other issues.

Quote: USB 1.0/1.1 was designed without file transfer in mind. My own keyboard dates from that time period and is a 1.1 device (I just recently cleaned the entire thing in and out, and it sure needed it). For keyboards and mice, the speed of 1.1 far exceeds anyone's use case (by the time you're typing fast enough for it to be an issue, you've probably already set your keyboard on fire). USB 2.0 came later when they realized just how important file transfer would be for the spec. USB 3.0 and 3.1 are great, but I've been rather disappointed to see how slowly a number of devices have been to adopt it. Are there even any web cams that use 3.0 yet? I mean, with 4KHD and 120 Htz, it sure would be useful at this point to handle all that data in a fast manner, perhaps without compression.
Makes sense. I'm just glad the computer has USB ports at all, but yeah, they're slow.

Quote: If you're curious, flash drives are crazy fast compared to hard discs. In fact, on most PCs (including my own), the biggest modern bottleneck is the hard disk speed. I do ultimately intend to replace my 4TB drive with a flash drive (it'll be a much more convenient setup if I can just move over a partition than if I had to reinstall Windows completely just to set up a Windows partition on a much smaller flash drive). Right now, 4TB drives cost about as much as a cheap car. So, I'm waiting a few years for prices to become more reasonable. Hopefully I won't fill up this drive before then . Eh, who am I kidding? Games these days take up like 50GB each. I'll have it full by the end of next year.
On SATA or USB 3.0, yeah, I can see how flash would be faster -- no need to spin a disc and such. Returning to the 360 though, apparently it is indeed slower over USB than the internal hard drive, because 2.0 is slower than SATA. But for a computer, maybe a flash drive would be nice sometime, for stuff that doesn't change all that often (the OS and the like) since you don't want to constantly be writing to a flash device if you can help it...

Quote: Oh, you were asking about why your model PS3 doesn't even let you "see" the flash once you've got the hard drive installed. I think I covered this above, but here's my take on it. I think it was simple lazy coding and a lazy workaround. As I said, the OS is partially installed on the system's hard drive. The OS also makes the assumption there is only one hard drive. Your model is likely set up so that, in order to prevent confusing the OS, "hides" the "flash" hard drive when another is physically installed. That way, the OS never tries to install updates to the wrong area. They may also have it set up so that this flash partition still has that OS data, so when the added hard drive is removed, it can still boot back to that flash partition in a pinch. Contrast that with how the OS handles devices plugged into either the memory card ports on my model or through a USB port. Those are never used to boot the system in any situation, not even an emergency like if the hard drive is removed, so there's never any chance the OS could get confused (they would also be "flagged" internally in very different ways). Lazy, yes, but I think that's what they likely decided on.
It seems like there should have been a way around this problem, but I guess Sony didn't want to try. Too bad.

The PS3 interface is slow and bad (oh and I got one) - Dark Jaguar - 18th November 2016

All I can say is you've gotta come up with a mechanism for wifi to actually give you cancer, and really, there isn't one. If there's no plausible mechanism, it isn't scientific.