Tendo City
"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: "Birthday Cake" flavor... (/showthread.php?tid=6975)

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Dark Jaguar - 13th July 2016

Cookie, icecream, and various other snack makers of the world, listen up.

There is no such thing as "birthday cake" flavor! There's nothing special about cakes on a birthday that cakes at any other time don't already have, and the cake someone gets on their birthday, traditionally, is WHATEVER THEIR FAVORITE FLAVOR IS! There is no absolute standard of what "Birthday Cake" is!

You COULD have just said "cake flavored". It would still be pretty nonspecific, but no, you had to go and invent the concept of "birthday cake" as a flavor. The only thing I can figure is some idiot in marketing said "people like birthdays, so we should call it birthday cake to associate the flavor with something people like".

This has been another random rant on something that doesn't matter.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2016

But birthday cakes all have little sprinkles in them, right?

Yeah, it is a silly flavor... I've seen it in things, but I don't think I've actually had it, so I don't know what it tastes like. I will say though, I LOVE ice cream, it's one of the best foods. I try to eat somewhat healthily, but as far as ice cream goes it's hopeless. :p

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Dark Jaguar - 13th July 2016

I still eat kid's cereal for breakfast. I've tried breaking it up a bit, but sugar tastes so good you guys. I mean it tastes soooo goood....

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2016

My parents didn't let us have the super-sugary cereals growing up, so I never gained much of a taste for those. On the occasions when I do have cereal these days though, I still like Chex, Cheerios, and Rice Krispies, or store-brand analogs of those. Dry only however -- I have never liked milk on cereal.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Weltall - 15th July 2016

I've lost a lot of my taste for hyper-sugary treats, and they sometimes make me sick to my stomach.

One thing I absolutely revile is sodas that are sweetened with HFCS, which accounts for about 95% of non-diet sodas. I drink diet when I feel like drinking soda at all (not often, I drink mostly water).

Duno about birthday cake flavoring, but no such flavored item has ever appealed to me.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - lazyfatbum - 31st July 2016

standard birthday cake all tastes the same. Butter creme icing, typical flour and eggs cake batter with vanilla flavoring. It's a thing... It's totally a thing. Denying it wont help your cause, we can accept it together.

here we go.

*acceptance*

there.

Having said that it's also a disgusting flavor, fuck that flavor. Dreamsicle, there's a real flavor to get behind. Rootbeer, salted god damn licorice or toffee these are flavors we talk about. We don't waste our time on things that are birthday cake flavored, we accept it and pretend it's not there. If flavors had a sexuality birthday cake would be openly gay. Loud, obnoxious and always trying to get people to blow him you leave him on the shelf at the gas station where he belongs

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Dark Jaguar - 31st July 2016

Where are you buying "standard birthday cake" from? What store lists that as an option? If I went to the bakery at the local Reasor's, could I ask them to make me a "standard birthday cake" without them asking me to specify the flavor I want?

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - lazyfatbum - 1st August 2016

Stop it. Yes the only options that are available to a birthday cake is the type of icing (whipped creme or butter creme nearly identical in flavoring but different in consistency) the color of the cake itself (white (uncolored) is softer) and the option of a filling like raspberry, lemon, etc for example. Usually a standard birthday cake just has a layer of the icing used on its surface between the cakes, any deviation of that is considered a non-standard birthday cake you giant alien.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Dark Jaguar - 1st August 2016

You're missing my point. I'm trying to say that birthday cake doesn't have just one flavor. Whatever it is you're going on about the general layout of a cake, it doesn't matter when you start talking about flavors, and that's my inane complaint! There is not any one "birthday cake flavor", and in fact there's really no concept of what is and is not a birthday cake. ANY cake can be a birthday cake, because no one just buys a cake without knowing beforehand what flavor the person they are buying it for actually likes. Well, at least if they aren't a sociopath.

That's my entire point. Is "birthday cake flavor" vanilla, or chocolate, or what? Considering they're trying to get me to buy food based on flavor, that's kinda an important detail.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - A Black Falcon - 1st August 2016

I presume the generic type would be a standard (somewhat flavorless) yellow cake...

I've never been a big cake fan, I prefer pie, particularly blueberry, apple, or strawberry rhubarb, but growing up my favorite cake for my birthday was [homemade] French chocolate cake; it's very rich stuff, and really good. I don't love chocolate either, but it's good in certain forms -- chocolate candy, that kind of cake, and such. Not ice cream, though, I have never liked chocolate ice cream. But anyway, yeah, to me "birthday cake" is not a yellow cake. (Oh, my sister's favorite birthday cake growing up was angel food, I believe.) But that is basically the standard kind of cake, so it makes sense as a default.

Why call these cake-flavored cookies and such "birthday cake" and not "cake" flavor, though? I presume it's just a marketing tool to get more attention since it sounds more interesitng. Plus, people associate cakes with birthdays, so why not?

Weltall Wrote:I've lost a lot of my taste for hyper-sugary treats, and they sometimes make me sick to my stomach.

One thing I absolutely revile is sodas that are sweetened with HFCS, which accounts for about 95% of non-diet sodas. I drink diet when I feel like drinking soda at all (not often, I drink mostly water).

Duno about birthday cake flavoring, but no such flavored item has ever appealed to me.
You can tell the difference between HFCS and sugar, really? I highly doubt I ever could, they seem the same... Regardless though, I definitely agree with reducing sugar intake in whatever form, as the science against added sugar is pretty strong now. However, I don't believe in the "HFCS is particularly terrible" idea; really, I think that people who focus strongly on HFCS are forgetting how bad sugar itself is for you. Yeah, HFCS is bad, but that's mostly just because sugar is! Health-wise the only real difference, I think, is that HFCS might being slightly worse for you thanks to the higher fructose content.

As for soda, I never drank a lot (just maybe one with meals in college), but I stopped drinking soda a few years ago because apparently liquid sugars are the worst kind, and it definitely was a good idea, if that's why I haven't had many cavities since... my teeth are still terrible of course (bad teeth run in the family, and I have fillings in near-every tooth, etc.), but it's been a while now since my last cavity, and I'd guess dropping soda helped there.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - Dark Jaguar - 1st August 2016

Yellow? Odd, I pictured white.

Hence the problem.

Oh and I'm with you ABF. Corn syrup, and the high fructose version of corn syrup (technically two different things) is basically sugar, and is just as healthy (or I should say, unhealthy considering the incredibly high doses) as the standard white stuff. I've cut soda out of my diet primarily because I just sorta got sick of it one day several years ago. I'm making an exception for crystal pepsi's resurgence, but after having that little reminder I don't see myself drinking soda ever again. Oh, and while generally corn syrup is being used to replace cane sugar in most sweet stuffs, I have a personal loathing for how it replaced the ENTIRE PRODUCT when it comes to maple syrup. Every single brand of syrup you love is actually just corn syrup disguised as maple syrup. Check the bottle and you'll find there's literally not a trace of maple to be found. It's a total switch-out, and it shows. In fact, the real thing has LESS sugar than what Mrs. Butterworth and Log Cabin are trying to pawn off on us. I've made the choice to actually have real maple syrup again, in the form of those small bottles way at the top of the shelf that cost $15 a pop... Worth it.

"Birthday Cake" flavor... - A Black Falcon - 1st August 2016

People actually buy syrups that are not 100% pure real maple syrup? (Yes, I know they do, to save money by buying something that will not taste as good.) I sure don't! Here in New England maple syrup is easy to find, and it's what I grew up on, for pancakes and the like. They even make it here in Maine, though Vermont and Canada are the biggest producers. I don't use the stuff too often anymore as I rarely cook breakfast (I never have been a big cooked-breakfast fan, dry cereal is plenty), but I do have some. That "pancake syrup" stuff is terrible compared to real maple syrup, as I am reminded of on the rare occasions where I've ended up having some for some reason... it's just sugar water, and doesn't taste like the real thing at all.

On that note, poor you for having to pay so much for the stuff... we've got many choices here, at various prices. It is more expensive than "pancake syrup" of course, but unless you want organic an 8 or 12oz bottle should cost about half that $15.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Yellow? Odd, I pictured white.
I think of generic cake as being a whitish-yellow color...

Quote:Oh and I'm with you ABF. Corn syrup, and the high fructose version of corn syrup (technically two different things) is basically sugar, and is just as healthy (or I should say, unhealthy considering the incredibly high doses) as the standard white stuff. I've cut soda out of my diet primarily because I just sorta got sick of it one day several years ago.
I think soda sales are on the decline in America now, and yeah, that's definitely a very good thing. Sugar or HFCS, they're terrible for you either way...

(As for diet sodas, the chemical mixes in those are surely not good for you either, though it's probably less bad overall than sugarey ones. I have never liked or wanted to drink diet sodas.)