Tendo City
New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was (/showthread.php?tid=6968)

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - Dark Jaguar - 8th June 2016

It's been getting some good reviews, and I finally checked it out. It's as good as they say. Once you realize the entire storyline of Doom is completely ridiculous on purpose, it becomes a joy to play it. In this case, the narrative of the game is itself treated as an enemy, with the marine regularly shutting up literally anyone who tries to explain anything to him. This marine already knows everything he needs to know. Idiots once again made an artificial portal to hell and demons everywhere, so it's time to kill demons, which is exactly what you do. Doom 3 was an interesting experiment, but it took itself a bit too seriously.

The biggest flaw so far is that it's just called "Doom". Hey, marketing people, cut that out! If you don't want to call it Doom 4 (and why not?), at least give it a subtitle.

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - Weltall - 8th June 2016

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked, too. The videos I've seen look precisely like what Doom was when I cared, but a lot prettier.

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - A Black Falcon - 8th June 2016

Yeah, this game sounds really good. Whenever I finally get a better computer I'll have to get it.

As for the name, it is annoying, yes. I've never liked that "drop the number from the name" trend either, of course. Apparently the game is a sequel to Doom 2, though, so what would they call it? Doom 3? :p (Doom 3 was a reboot of course, not a sequel, so that sort of doesn't count...)

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - Dark Jaguar - 9th June 2016

The fan theories on this game have been getting pretty elaborate. Doom 3, according to some, takes place in an alternate reality. According to others, it takes place a few hundred thousand years after Doom 2, after humanity was demon'd back to the stone age and had to rebuild, forgetting the whole "don't open a portal into literal hell from Mars" lesson.

But more importantly, it's the forth Doom game, so Doom 4 is fine. I mean, just look at Capcom's numbering scheme. They've basically given up trying to wedge in numbers like "2.5" or whatever would accurately place their new games in the convoluted history of the series in question. Or, look at Konami. They don't use numbers but they do use subtitles. Why not a subtitle? Heck, they could just call the game "Doom: Rip and Tear Their Guts" and it'd be fine.

One thing's for sure, when it comes to the ultraviolence, it's there, but the game doesn't do what Mortal Kombat's been doing and go that whole slow-motion x-ray route. I've been getting pretty sick of that, on a number of levels.

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - A Black Falcon - 9th June 2016

Technically, the old Doom is titled Doom, but the new one is titled DOOM. See? Totally different! :p

Quote: The fan theories on this game have been getting pretty elaborate. Doom 3, according to some, takes place in an alternate reality. According to others, it takes place a few hundred thousand years after Doom 2, after humanity was demon'd back to the stone age and had to rebuild, forgetting the whole "don't open a portal into literal hell from Mars" lesson.
I guess those are possible, but it sure seems like a retelling of the original to me. While this game, it's much clearer about following up Doom 2, from what I hear.

It's actually more of a followup to Doom 64, from what I've seen. Doom 64 being a Midway-made sequel to Doom 1 and 2, rather than just a port. In the ending of that game, the marine stays in hell to make sure demons don't start anything again, which fits in with the beginning of the new game, where a marine wakes up from being stuck in some hell casket.

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - A Black Falcon - 9th June 2016

Which one do you mean by "it", this one? I mean that Doom 3 is the reboot, while this is a sequel. As for the story, I don't know where it goes, but the start is like this, as the Giant Bomb quicklook shows (only watch if you don't mind some early-game spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlvQcozDAA

But sure, maybe it follows Doom 64, I don't know... but it's clearly meant as a sequel to the old Dooms, instead of a reboot/rehash of the same story like Doom 3 is.

Um, yes?

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - Sacred Jellybean - 12th June 2016

Some of the guys at work got this game and were playing it. I was able to link up with their PS4 and play it remotely. Ain't technology grand? Anyway, this game whooped my butt. But I will say, the new animations of tearing up demons are gratuitously violently awesome. That the game is makes fun of itself (the marine trying to shut up anyone explaining the plot to him, haha) is syrup on the pancake.

My buddies were begging me to get it and play deathmatch with them. I may have to indulge them after I'm finished with Uncharted.

New Doom a lot more like Doom than Doom 3 was - Dark Jaguar - 12th June 2016

The purchasing of powerups is also a joke. When you find certain machines in levels, pick to "buy" one of two powerups. You don't have any money, nor is there any in the game, so the marine just decides to take the powerup from the robot, punching it to make it let go before it slinks away.