Tendo City
The worst thing about the internet today... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The worst thing about the internet today... (/showthread.php?tid=6960)

The worst thing about the internet today... - A Black Falcon - 23rd April 2016

Is websites with autoplay videos on almost every page. I mean, Youtube is one thing, okay. But news sites like CNN, ESPN, etc... no! Stop it! The autoplay videos everywhere are incredibly annoying!

Now, making it worse is that flash runs terribly on my computer now and this makes the videos hard to stop, but even if they ran fine, I don't want to have to click "stop" on a video in a NEWS page every time I go to one. I probably go to CNN's website less often than I used to because of how annoying the autoplay videos are...

The worst thing about the internet today... - lazyfatbum - 23rd April 2016

Kill it, flash is for suckers Blacks.

The worst thing about the internet today... - Dark Jaguar - 23rd April 2016

ABF, the major browsers all have a mode that makes flash objects on a page only show when clicked on. It's not my fault you insist on using some obscure fork of a fork like Seamonkey.

The worst thing about the internet today... - A Black Falcon - 24th April 2016

lazyfatbum Wrote:Kill it, flash is for suckers Blacks.

What do you mean, uninstall Flash? Enough things need it that I couldn't do that. This computer is old, HTML5 video on Youtube runs badly for example, while Flash runs fine when it's not crashing, which it's been doing a lot since sometime last year. It didn't used to do that so I don't know what changed, but still, once working at least Flash videos run without chopping.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:ABF, the major browsers all have a mode that makes flash objects on a page only show when clicked on. It's not my fault you insist on using some obscure fork of a fork like Seamonkey.

Eh, there may be some extension or something that does that, Seamonkey works with many Firefox extensions after all... but most Flash things aren't the problem, it's only the ones with sound that are. If I could block ones with sound but not other things that'd be nice, but I doubt anything would be able to control things that specifically?

The worst thing about the internet today... - Dark Jaguar - 24th April 2016

I'm not talking about extensions. There is a feature of both Chrome and Firefox that simply makes flash opt-in intead of opt-out. The place where the flash object would be is replaced with a grey sheet indicated that it's a flash object that isn't loaded, until you right click on it to activate it. It's great, because you only see the flash objects you want to see. In Chrome, they've recently made that feature on by default. I can't speak for Firefox because recently I've abandoned that browser.