Tendo City
The Lakers are gone.... :) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Lakers are gone.... :) (/showthread.php?tid=691)

The Lakers are gone.... :) - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2003

And lost by 28 points, no less! :) Knew something good had to happen after the Celtics were swept... stupid Nets!

The Lakers are gone.... :) - OB1 - 15th May 2003

Yay! I can't stand Shaq.

Seeing them finally lose was one thing... but being humiliated 110-82? Hahaha!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230515013
Quote:LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant left the court in tears as the three-year championship reign of the Los Angeles Lakers came to a decisive end.

"I hate this feeling, I don't ever want to feel it again,'' Bryant said Thursday night after a 110-82 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

Lets just say I don't feel sorry for him.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Laser Link - 15th May 2003

It's about time. They've won far too much. Besides, the LA area has the Ducks to be happy about right now, and hockey is better than basketball anyway. :)

I want the Ducks to lose too. Liking Kariya only goes so far... and I don't want Anaheim anywhere near another sports championship! They already got a World Series... :bummed:

The Lakers are gone.... :) - The Former DMiller - 16th May 2003

But the Ducks have Jiggy! I've never been so interested in hockey before. It's just cool to see this goalie no one ever heard of before the playoffs dominating.

As for the Lakers losing. :D

The Lakers are gone.... :) - A Black Falcon - 16th May 2003

But the Angels beat the Giants! I won't forgive them... or the Ducks, by association. :)

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Fittisize - 16th May 2003

Bleh, when the Oilers and Stars are gone, I don't really care about the West anymore. :) But in the east the only team I've really cared about over the years is the Senators, and if they can get the puck past Brodeur, then they will win the cup.

And how can you guys be rooting for the Ducks??? Most people in Calfiornia have never even seen natural ice! Now, if the ducks were in a city like Winnipeg, or maybe even Seattle, THEN I'd be rooting for them.

NO DISNEY TEAM SHOULD WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Laser Link - 16th May 2003

Jiggy rules. Anyone with a nickname from Banjo Tooie rules by default, but Jiggy would rule even if his name was Fred or Tito or something. This almost reminds me of when Jim Carey showed up 6 or 7 years ago and dominated for the Captols. But he wasn't this good, and he really dissapeared as quickly as he appeared.

I don't know if the Sens can beat the Ducks. The Ducks are playing so good right now, and I don't know if anyone is going to score on Jiggy for a while.

Sure, but the Sens DID have the most goals for in regular season (although, as it has shown, regular season does not matter at all in the playoffs). The Senators can definetly score, and also I think Lalime is a more solid goaltender than Jiggy. I've said this every round that the Ducks have advanced, that midnight will strike for this Cinderella team. Just a matter of time...

Ducks won't win the cup. (I sure hope not)

And I remember Jim Carrey. He won the Vezina a couple years back. What the heck happened with him?

I rooted for the Ducks for a few rounds... but this is enough. I want to see Minnesota beat them. :)

And West Coast sports fans just don't care... hockey, baseball, whatever... they just don't. Not like East Coast fans...

Maybe west-south fans. :) But maybe go to an Oilers game vs. the Blue Jackets when the Oilers already clinched a playoff spot and Jackets are long gone...quite the crowd Edmonton gets for those games.

Edmonton isn't in the west... I'd say central... and its Canada. Hockey is very popular everywhere in Canada...

Oh...I thought you were talking conferences.

Nope, parts of the country. For any sport... west coast fans just don't care as much.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Laser Link - 17th May 2003

Quote:And West Coast sports fans just don't care... hockey, baseball, whatever... they just don't. Not like East Coast fans...

Spoken like a biased, clueless East Coast fan. How on earth would you know? Have you ever been to a game west of the the Hudson River? Have you even been west of the Hudson River? Or do you just believe what the Boston papers say? I hate that stereotype. When the Padres were in the World Series in 1984, the East Coast said "Look at those stupid fans, they would rather surf than come to the games" because people were getting to the games late. Why? Because they started the games at 3 pm local time so New York could watch when they wanted! It's the most ridiculous bias ever, and the entire sports world is tilted that way. And you guys think it's right! Screw New York, if the game is gonna be played in San Diego, then start it at 7 or 8 pm PST. Since the East Coast fans are so hard core they can stay up late.

When the Red Sox are eliminated from the playoffs at home, what do the fans do? They boo and curse and throw things at the players. When the Padres lost to the Yankees in 98, what did the fans do? They stayed in the stadium for a half hour until the Yankees got done celebrating and left. Then the fans cheered for the Padres to come back out one last time. Peter Gammons said he had never seen anything like it. A half hour after losing teh Wordl Series! The stadium would have been empty by the 7th inning if it was back east! So who are the real fans? The cry baby spoiled brats or the supportive-until-the-end fans?

The fans in the midwest are so incredibly strong. Have you ever seen a Kansas City Chiefs game where Arrowhead Stadium was not COMPLETELY red? On the other hand, half way through the season in 2001 the Patriots were losing to the Chargers late in the game in Foxborough. The Patriot "fans" all left! The stadium was half empty by the start of the fourth quarter, and the Patriots came back to win and then won the Super Bowl later that year. And I'm sure all those "fans" went on and on about how they supported their team all along, and probably thought walking out was part of the reason they won.

How many times have you heard of Denver fans throwing snowballs at the visitors? Never. But it happens at least once a year back east. I could go on and on about how I often see East Coast people acting like monkeys and drunk freaks.

I know I just went off all over the place, but I can't stand lies and ignorance. I won't let this kind of junk get spread around. ABF, I know you are not stupid, but you really make yourself look bad when you say unbelievably foolish things like that. So don't.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - OB1 - 17th May 2003

Hahaha, I believe this is the first LL/ABF argument I've seen! Go LL!

BTW I lived most of my life in the Eastern United States and it sucks ass compared to Colorado. Everyone has a stick up their ass.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - A Black Falcon - 17th May 2003

I went to one Giants game when I was 6 or 7... over half the crowd was gone by the 7th inning stretch. That just doesn't happen in most East Coast cities (the ones that care at least...)... and I've read that that happens all the time. They just aren't as passionate for their teams... you can't excuse leaving early! It just shows how the fans just don't really care too much if their team wins or loses... which really calls into question how much they care about the team at all...

Sure the Giants were losing by several runs. But you know what? They came back and won it! The fans didn't care though... half of them were gone.

And I've been to several Red Sox games and a bunch of Portland AA games... though that's not exactly the same. :)

Red Sox fans? Sure they're some of the toughest on the team in the country... when the players do badly the people boo. Its expected... like this year when the bullpen was introduced after spring training they booed every one of them. They deserved it too... after how awfully they did in spring training... and then the first few weeks of the season... but I'd say that that shows more team loyalty!

As for the Padres, that's bandwagon support. I don't see many of those people in the stands now... I think bandwagon fans are stupid. Why abandon your team just because its doing bad? I'd never do that! Same with Cubs fans... though they don't seem to care if their team does badly since it is bad all the time. The fact that Red Sox fans DO care that their team does badly is the 'problem'... :) Red Sox fans expect success, and are angry when the team fails. Padres fans? The team is so bad most of the time of course they'd be happy to just lose...

I'm surprised the fans were in the stadium in the 8th inning... that's not normal out there...

Most Yankees fans are bandwagon fans. I don't think many are actually fans of the team...

Oh, and it was Oakland where a fan threw a cellphone at a player... not even Chicago, where they had all those problems with fans on the field.

As for the few Red Sox games I've been to, some people do leave early... but not many. The only time lots of people left, the game went into 10 innings... that time lots of people had left by the time it ended, as with any extra inning game.

As for other sports, no idea. I haven't been to any non-baseball games... and don't watch other team sports very often on TV...

Quote:"Look at those stupid fans, they would rather surf than come to the games"

Excuses don't make it less true. But I have no problem with games going to midnight... I know I watched those 2 18 inning Red Sox games (on TV) in the '01 season right to the end at 1 am, both times. :)

But I won't blame either coast for bad behavior... there are drunks throwing things at the players in Oakland and Boston (some paper or plastic things or something were thrown at Carl Everett a few days ago in Boston, I think) and fans on the field in Chicago... that's all over the place. Idiots are everywhere... :)

And anyway I think Boston likes the Red Sox and Celtics more than the Patriots... Bruins too, probably. Well... until they won, that is. But who cares about football anyway...

The Lakers are gone.... :) - The Former DMiller - 17th May 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
As for the Padres, that's bandwagon support. I don't see many of those people in the stands now... I think bandwagon fans are stupid. Why abandon your team just because its doing bad? I'd never do that! Same with Cubs fans... though they don't seem to care if their team does badly since it is bad all the time. The fact that Red Sox fans DO care that their team does badly is the 'problem'... :) Red Sox fans expect success, and are angry when the team fails. Padres fans? The team is so bad most of the time of course they'd be happy to just lose...

Oh, you really had to mention Cubs fans don't you? You called Cubs fans bandwagon fans when we've supported a team for years and they haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in over 30 years? That's just the opposite of bandwagon fans. When the Cubs are playing on the road, depending on where they are playing, you will see a heck of a lot of Cubs fans there. Miller Park is being called Wrigley Field North now because this past series with the Brewers had the place filled with 80% Cubs fans. Anywhere the Cubs go you can always here "Let's go Cubs" in big situations. Even west coast stadiums get a fair amoung of Cubs fans. The Cubs were cheered when they played in Colorado and San Fransisco this year, and there are a whole lot of Cubs fans in Arizona every time we play there.

And just because we support a team that isn't very good doesn't make us bad fans. What are we suppose to do, not go to games for a team we love? We can't stay away because we love our team, but we do boo if the situation warrants it. Mets fans booed Tom Glavine in his first regular season start this year because he had a bad outing, but not horrible. They booed him after one bad game! Yankees fans were booing Giambi last year because of a bad start, but you don't hear them booing now. Cubs fans understand that one bad start isn't the end of the world, and slumps happen. The only Cubs player I know of who has gotten booed in the past few years is Todd Hundley, but that's because he had barely hit over .200 for the Cubs and had a huge contract. We do boo a player if he doesn't show an effort, though. If a Cubs player hits a grounder to a fielder in the infield and isn't running his tail off to first he will hear it. This happened to Ismael Valdes when he was a Cubs a few years ago quite a lot.

Good fans support their team through the good and bad, and are very knowledgable about the team. Cubs fans always support the Cubs, and, contrary to what everyone thinks, aren't just there to get drunk at Wrigley. Going to Cubs games is an experience, everyone there knows who the Cubs players are, and all about players who had recently been brought up from the minors. When Todd Wellenmeyer pitched for the first time in the 17-inning game in Milwaukee everyone was cheering him the moment he got up to the mound, and didn't stop until he had struck out the side for the save.

Supporting teams like the Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, and the recent Bulls teams takes just the opposite of bandwagon jumpers. Even though the Bulls sucked this year, they improved a lot from previous years and the stadium was constantly packed. We know the team has a bright future and we are past our anger over the break-up of the championship Bulls.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon As for the few Red Sox games I've been to, some people do leave early... but not many. The only time lots of people left, the game went into 10 innings... that time lots of people had left by the time it ended, as with any extra inning game.[/B]

Did you see how many Cubs fans were left at the end of that 17-inning game in Milwaukee? I've been to a lot of extra inning games at Wrigley and no one leaves. How can you leave close games like that.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Fittisize - 17th May 2003

New York sports fans are the ones I dislike the most...they can go from giving a player a standing ovation to showering him with boos (I even saw it against an early season game vs. the Expos this year). Yankees fans are full of bandwagoners...they only cheer for them because they win a lot of championships.

As for the East/West thing, east coast fans have booed the national anthem for the USA (specifically, from Montreal and Toronto) many times over the years. East coast American fans have booed the Canadian anthem many times, too. In the west, for all the games I've been to this year, both anthems were happily cheered. I can also remember when the Raptors beat out the New York Knicks a few years ago. New York fans were outraged! The place was showered with boos! Across the continent, just last summer, actually, during the U-19 World Soccer Championships in Edmonton (it was a pretty huge deal), I remember being at the final game against the USA when they scored the only goal in the second overtime period...no boos, just groans of dissapointment followed by a standing o' for the American World Champs. So what I'm trying to say is that fans from the West respect both teams, and fans from the East don't. How it works I do not know, but that's just the way it seems to be.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Laser Link - 17th May 2003

Wow, you took ever single point I made and pretended not to see it. Then you took the phrase East Coast and did a global replace East with West. Then spit it all back at me! That's amazing!

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Fittisize - 17th May 2003

Wrong, punk! I just added some experiences and opinions of my own.:p

That's not what I meant about Cubs fans... not that they aren't devoted. They are... they just don't seem to care about winning much.

I didn't call them bandwagon fans. You read it wrong... I said Padres fans in the World Series run, or most any Yankee fan, etc, etc... most fans of successful teams are bandwagon fans. And I just don't consider them serious fans of the team in any way.

Quote:Why abandon your team just because its doing bad? I'd never do that! Same with Cubs fans... though they don't seem to care if their team does badly since it is bad all the time.

That's what I said. And its what I meant... nothing else. :)

I do wish I understood why they seem to not mind much at all that the team constantly loses though... its dedication and loyalty I guess. But if that was, say, the Red Sox or Yankees the people would probably still come.. but they wouldn't exactly just live with the losing.

Sure Cubs fans like the team when it wins! But the support seems just as strong (and, more importantly, almost as positive) when it loses... Confused

But I guess that mindset just comes with being a Red Sox fan. We boo our players when we think they've done something bad. And it happens a lot. :)

Oh, and the Red Sox have lots of support all over the place too... especially Florida. Lots of fans in games in Tampa are rooting for the Sox... probably because the Sox's spring training (and rookie league team location) is in Ft. Myers near Tampa...

As for leaving in extra innings... I'd never do it, but as it gets later I can understand why some people would... most people wouldn't want to watch 5 or 6 hours of baseball, going until well after midnight, probably. :)

As for LL... is that for me or him? If its for me... well I just said what I know. ANd what I know is that I have heard, very often, that West Coast fans leave games early all the time. My one game experience out there certainly followed that pattern... and leaving in the middle doesn't really show good fans... but most fans need incentives to go to games. Most pepple don't go when their team is losing... I don't mind (Portland's AA team is pretty bad, but going to see them play is still fun... but then again, the minors are a ... somewhat different ... atmosphere. :) )

And I pointed out that I have in fact been to a West Coast game. Sure, it was probably 1988 or 89... and back when the Giants were in Candlestick. But nothing I've read says that that mindset has changed in the least.

Oh... the only good bandwagon to jump on is of whoever is currently playing the Yankees...

The Lakers are gone.... :) - The Former DMiller - 17th May 2003

So I wrote most of that for nothing? Damn. Anyway, you don't realize that we do care about winning. Just check out the Chicago sports sections during a losing season for a team. The media in Chicago is brutal, and for good reason since we usually have pretty bad teams. However, we still support the teams. We're always thinking of ways to get better, though. Go to Wrigley during a losing season and you'll always hear talk about current players and their potential, or potential trade value. :)

As for the West coast thing. I've only been to a Rockies game, and although it didn't seem to be the same knowledgable fans at Wrigley, they all stayed for the whole game. I can't remember who they were playing, but it was when Larry Walker hit his 300th homerun. Even though 300 doesn't really mean much, it was a pretty cool moment. I'm not going to talk much about West coast games since I've only been to that game and an Angels game a looong time ago, so I really can't speak from experience much.

Try reading what I said next time... I thought it was pretty clear... :)

And I guess if you lose that much, you've got to try to come up with SOME good side or all it'd be is extremely negative... which isn't that good. Sure Red Sox fans are very hard on the team, but it does well often enough to give us reason to be...

But when they aren't they hear it. :evil:

Maybe it's healthier to not expect success and not focus on the downside, but it'd be less fun in some ways I'd think...

After all where would New England be without its yearly heartbreak from the Red Sox?

Remember... Bill Buckner is still one of the least liked people in New England.

and Roger Clemens is a TRAITOR!!!

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Laser Link - 18th May 2003

I wrote that to ABF.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - OB1 - 18th May 2003

That's just the way he argues.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2003

You said stuff. I replied by saying other things. I don't really see what your complaint is... Confused I say many things you didn't on all the issues...

The Lakers are gone.... :) - Fittisize - 18th May 2003

Quote:Originally posted by DMiller
Go to Wrigley during a losing season and you'll always hear talk about current players and their potential, or potential trade value. :)

Do they ever talk about past Cubs players who did really well for the team? 'Cause in the Skyreach Centre (the extremely loud Oilers stadium), I always hear some person or another talking about Gretzky and Messier and Kurri and how awesome they did for the Oilers and how much they miss them.

Just a question for you, DMiller. Do you know how the heck the Cubs couldn't win anything (way back when) with Fergie Jenkins getting over 20 wins for 6 seasons in a row??? Just mind boggling.

The Lakers are gone.... :) - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2003

Last year Paul Byrd (I think) won 15 or 20 games on the 100-loss Royals...

The Lakers are gone.... :) - The Former DMiller - 18th May 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
Do they ever talk about past Cubs players who did really well for the team? 'Cause in the Skyreach Centre (the extremely loud Oilers stadium), I always hear some person or another talking about Gretzky and Messier and Kurri and how awesome they did for the Oilers and how much they miss them.

Just a question for you, DMiller. Do you know how the heck the Cubs couldn't win anything (way back when) with Fergie Jenkins getting over 20 wins for 6 seasons in a row??? Just mind boggling.

Yeah, we talk about past Cubs players all the time. Whenever a past Cub comes into town they are always mentioned during the broadcasts, and almost everyone in the stands will cheer them unless it's someone like Ismael Valdez who says he didn't like his time with the Cubs. And the reason the Cubs never won in the past even with their great players? The front office. Letting go of Maddux is just one of the many bad moves they made. Luckily things seem a lot better and they have really built up the minors.