Tendo City
Roko's Basilisk is what happens when futurists eat themselves - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Roko's Basilisk is what happens when futurists eat themselves (/showthread.php?tid=6901)

Roko's Basilisk is what happens when futurists eat themselves - Dark Jaguar - 25th September 2015

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.html

This is a huge waste of time. Basically, a bunch of "singularity" type futurists congregate on a board to discuss thought experiments. So far, it's harmless enough. One of them comes up with a nightmare scenario where an AI comes into existence who's entire purpose is to digitally recreate and torture anyone in history that worked to prevent it's own existence. It does this by recreating history as part of the simulation and anyone in the simulation who works against it's creation or doesn't act to make sure it is created is tortured for eternity. There would be no way to know for sure that you aren't currently IN said simulation, so the most logical course of action (in this thought experiment) is to work towards the creation of this AI, so that you are spared eternal torture. Variations include making multiple digital versions of reality, thus statistically making sure you are more likely to be in one of those simulations than in the real world.

The people at the "less wrong" forums thought this idea was terrifying, and an admin actually prohibited all discussion of it out of fear that someone might someday actually make it out of THEIR fear. That's right, these futurists don't even understand the Streisand effect.

Worse, some people at this forum were actually "convinced" by the logic and have dedicated themselves to creating exactly this AI so they can avoid punishment..

I'll put it this way. This actually is a nightmarish idea... for a short story. It's some "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" stuff, and as fiction I have to give the creator props. I have no reason to believe that it's something that would ever actually exist though. Ignore the whole "statistically you're more likely to be in one of it's simulations than in the real world" business, because that assumes it actually came to exist in the first place (if it never does, than statistically there's exactly zero chance I'm in it's simulation). It also assumes no one is willing to take the risk for the greater good of not making this machine, that the only rational thinking is putting your OWN well being first. For a bunch of optimistic futurist types, they sure have a negative view of human nature. The idea that this thought experiment someone came up with is worth actually taking seriously JUST because it's scary though, that's what pushes this into "you have got to be kidding me" territory.

Basically, it's Pascal's Wager for nerds, and it's just as easily defeated by taking the time to imagine what I'm dubbing "DJ's Irony Angel". That is, a future AI designed to take anyone who worked against the creation of the basilisk and giving them eternal paradise along with all their friends, and torturing anyone who tries to make the basilisk. It too can run as many simulations as it likes, like infinity billion more than stupid basilisk does, so statistically you're more likely to be in the angel's simulation than the basilisk's.

A bunch of futurists certain of their roles in creating a perfect utopia have managed to be so convinced of the certainty of their success that they've frightened themselves into working to destroy that utopia before it even starts. Their basilisk has crossed from the future to the past to completely immobilize their own philosophy from the inside. Their world view ate itself.

Roko's Basilisk is what happens when futurists eat themselves - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2015

I didn't know of this because I don't read that kind of website, but yeah, based on your description I think I agree; that sounds like a decent "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream"-knockoff short story, but that's about it.

Roko's Basilisk is what happens when futurists eat themselves - Great Rumbler - 28th September 2015

Guys...

I am Basilisk.

So...get ready for some eternal torment!