Tendo City
Squid Kids, now available. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Squid Kids, now available. (/showthread.php?tid=6845)

Squid Kids, now available. - Dark Jaguar - 29th May 2015

So far, pretty fun game. The single player experience is more fun than I'd anticipated, and lots of people loving the multiplayer. They seem to be "gating" levels and features for later patches, but they're free. It's an odd way to do things.

Squid Kids, now available. - Sacred Jellybean - 30th May 2015

Saw this trailer on another forum:

Looks pretty fun! Wish I had a WiiU, I'd jump on it.

It's like the opposite of Mario Sunshine. Hopefully in fun factor too.

Squid Kids, now available. - Dark Jaguar - 30th May 2015

Mario Sunshine wasn't THAT bad :D. It just wasn't as good as Mario 64.

True, I'm being harsh. I liked it well enough the first time around. I tried plugging it in a month or two ago and, meh. Mario 64 is still a blast.

Squid Kids, now available. - A Black Falcon - 30th May 2015

Yeah, the game looks great, I definitely would like to play it. The graphical design and music are good as well.

Squid Kids, now available. - Dark Jaguar - 1st June 2015

This just in: This game is amazing! I would expect no less from Nintendo's most core of core teams, but it bears saying. This game does not disappoint. It's addictive too (in fact, I had to pull myself away). I love the whole "punk" aesthetic, which reminds me of Jet Set Radio. The equipment is your source of customization, and it's neat but not overpowering. Basically, you won't need to make a "career" of this game to have a good time. The mechanic makes it a whole different sort of game. I love it.

Miiverse is as fun as ever here. Now, considering the squids and things, this is kinda to be expected, but there are a LOT of miiverse posts filled with Spongebob references.

Anyway, I ink you should take a splash here. I ran out of puns. Those are basically the only puns I have. Sorry...

Squid Kids, now available. - Dark Jaguar - 3rd June 2015

I've been seeing some great comics for this game online.

[Image: Super-Splatoon-Sunshine.jpg]

[Image: 2014-07-07-575-Splatoon.png]

[Image: 888.png]

That stupid "Hatred" game just came out, and this comic does a great job turning that guy around.

Squid Kids, now available. - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2017

... Okay yeah, this game is indeed pretty awesome and quite addictive. Because of the design the game gets repetitive after a while, so after an hour or so I usually want to stop playing because it's the same two maps in each mode all day, but as a game you play a bit of on a regular basis it's fantastic, very well designed stuff. The visuals, weird audio, polished gameplay and controls... it's a really good game all around. I was hoping to like the game but didn't know if I'd actually play it online much, but yeah, I have! And I will continue to, also. That it's still fairly easy to find a game after several years, despite the game being a Wii U exclusive, says something about its quality and that continued popularity is deserved.

Squid Kids, now available. - A Black Falcon - 28th June 2017

I'm now up to level 26, and just reached rank B in ranked mode. So yes, this game is great and very addictive. The graphics are good, the maps and modes varied, and the core paint-the-world mechanic is fantastic and changes first or third-person shooter game play in a significant and great way. My love for maps and such fits perfectly in with this games' "paint everything" mechanic. That's probably why I like the rollers best as weapons too, they do the best at painting the ground...

For a few criticisms though, I don't like the way the ranking system works, as you need to win consistently to move up in rank but that can be completely up to random chance because how you do depends in large part on the random selection of the two teams. I want to play ranked to play the modes beyond just Turf War, because while that is the best mode here the others are mostly good too, but the points and ranking system is not great. After the lowest ranks you lose as many (or more) points for a loss than you gain for a win, so gaining ranks requires luck as much as it does skill... blah.

Additionally, while the modes in ranked are fun and add some good variety to the game, it is kind of too bad that you can only play one mode (Rainmaker, Tower Control, etc.) per day. The way the game works is to intentionally try to get you to play a little bit each day but stick with the game long term, and that is successful at that goal, but it also can be annoying. I mean, some of the ranked modes are more fun than others. My least favorite is probably the one where you have to paint a certain zone, particularly in maps that have only one control zone right in the center of the map, because that encourages camping to a sometimes frustrating degree. Sure, you can just play the main standby Turf War mode and go back to ranked the next day, but most any other shooter would just let people play any mode at any time, and that is probably the better design. And I haven't even started on the maps, which work the same way -- only two maps are available in each of the two available modes, Turf War and whichever Ranked mode it is, each day. "Play again tomorrow to see what modes and maps are available!" may work as a keep-people-playing mechanism, but it is also annoying game design which artificially limits your options in order to keep you stuck to this game, so it's probably more bad than it is good.

Squid Kids, now available. - Dark Jaguar - 28th June 2017

The ranking mode requiring consistent wins is pretty normal in online games, because they've got to have some way to rank your performance as better than flipping a coin. I agree that there's a lot of multiplayer options they need to provide, all coming down to Nintendo's poor online structure.

For this game, it would be nice to have an "open" unranked mode where I just pick whatever map I like and invite my friends for whatever game mode we like. I do love the game though, it's exactly the fresh coat of paint the shooter genre needed.