Tendo City
I despise April Fool' - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: I despise April Fool' (/showthread.php?tid=6826)

I despise April Fool' - Dark Jaguar - 2nd April 2015

Ars Technica put up a LOT of articles yesterday. I can't trust a single one of them though, because April Fool's Day exists, as a holiday. Maybe Nintendo is making a wool Amiibo (technically, such a thing could exist), but very likely that was just a prank by Nintendo. Frankly the "creative" pranks from Blizzard just aren't enough to justify this holiday's existence. Now I'm spending my free time searching for the same news stories date marked for today, because that's the only way I can actually confirm any of these things.

I despise April Fool' - Weltall - 2nd April 2015

April Fool's Day is the only day of the year people see news headlines and are automatically skeptical of what they say.

One of these days, there's going to be a major horrible disaster on April Fool's Day. On that day, lives could be saved with timely reporting, but many lives will be lost due to April fool's day skepticism. Mark my words, that'll be the day the laughter dies.

I despise April Fool' - A Black Falcon - 2nd April 2015

Wooly Amiibios are real. Watch the new Nintendo Direct! It's real, not an April Fools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMedqo8mLaQ

Also in the Direct:
- Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem trailer for Wii U (yes, really)
- More Amiibos
- New 3DS Fire Emblem game (for 2016)
- New Wii U Fatal Frame game, and it's coming to the US
- Speedup for enemy turns in Codename STEAM
- etc.

As for April Fools', I saw a few amusing ones this year, but they generally don't seem to be quite as clever as they used to be, I think...

It's not just you, or me, the entire internet comedy supply now hates April Fool's Day.

It would appear everyone simultaneously decided that this holiday is beyond repair. Well, except for that one side of your family. You know the one. The one that thinks "get 'er done" is an entire joke, all by itself. They're the ones who shoot you with a potato cannon and when you look at them in shock and anger, say "look just admit it, I got ya there, you're just mad because I got ya".

So yes, it's good that this Nintendo direct actually WAS telling the truth. The problem is, I had to instinctively assume they were probably making at least some of it up, and I had no idea which parts they were. Every time they announced something really awesome, instead of feeling really excited about it, I instead started feeling angrier and angrier with every one. Not because I thought they WERE lies, but because I had to entertain the distinct possibility that that ONE thing I thought was totally awesome (Lucas returning to Smash) was in fact just a poorly timed joke at Mother fan's expense. I closed the video really quick just because of how insanely angry every awesome thing was making me, and decided to swear off reading ANY news stories at all until today. Only now can I actually give myself permission to be excited again. This holiday RUINED a bunch of very interesting news stories around the world for me, and for what? I didn't see a single laugh to be had, basically anywhere, that was worth this "web browsing inconvenience".

So yes, the comedians of the world have it about right. It's time to retire the whole danged day. Maybe Strong Bad's got the right idea (even though Homestar Runner itself has been the source of numerous web site pranks going back several years), in that the only pranks worth doing are the ones that physically harm people. And maybe Jon Oliver's right, in that BECAUSE those pranks physically harm people, you're a sociopath for attempting them. Also, "Cracked" or whoever is right, most pranks are just shotgun blasts that have no personal touch. And I'm right, pranks that are aimed at someone at a personal level are basically the things that Hannibal Lecter would do.

I despise April Fool' - Sacred Jellybean - 2nd April 2015

Excellent Strong Bad E-mail XD

Quote:This holiday RUINED a bunch of very interesting news stories around the world for me, and for what? I didn't see a single laugh to be had, basically anywhere, that was worth this "web browsing inconvenience".

I don't know dude, this tirade made me laugh too

I despise April Fool' - A Black Falcon - 2nd April 2015

Dark Jaguar Wrote:So yes, it's good that this Nintendo direct actually WAS telling the truth. The problem is, I had to instinctively assume they were probably making at least some of it up, and I had no idea which parts they were. Every time they announced something really awesome, instead of feeling really excited about it, I instead started feeling angrier and angrier with every one. Not because I thought they WERE lies, but because I had to entertain the distinct possibility that that ONE thing I thought was totally awesome (Lucas returning to Smash) was in fact just a poorly timed joke at Mother fan's expense. I closed the video really quick just because of how insanely angry every awesome thing was making me, and decided to swear off reading ANY news stories at all until today. Only now can I actually give myself permission to be excited again. This holiday RUINED a bunch of very interesting news stories around the world for me, and for what? I didn't see a single laugh to be had, basically anywhere, that was worth this "web browsing inconvenience".
Really? That seems like a bit extreme of a reaction... but also, thinking about it, has Nintendo ever done any kind of April Fools' joke? I can't think of anything. I don't think it's something they do.

In addition, April 1 is the first day of the first quarter of the fiscal year (remember, fiscal years for most companies start April 1), that might be why the Direct was on the 1st.

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Excellent Strong Bad E-mail XD

I don't know dude, this tirade made me laugh too

Well, at least there's that.

A Black Falcon Wrote:That seems like a bit extreme of a reaction...

Okay that cracked me up.