Tendo City
Too Many Cooks - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Too Many Cooks (/showthread.php?tid=6805)

Too Many Cooks - Sacred Jellybean - 28th January 2015

In case you missed it, this is brilliant and hilarious.

I can watch it over and over and laugh myself silly every time. Thank you Adult Swim, Williams Street, and most of all, director Casper Kelly.

Too Many Cooks - Weltall - 28th January 2015

I was high as hell when I saw it. And glad I was. Then I found that it was one of a series.

As was I. But you could probably take any activity of mine and say the same, so it's not exactly noteworthy. Actually, the first time I watched this, I had to stop around 3 minutes in. I was just laughing too hard. And I assumed the whole 10 minutes would just be more goofy sitcom openings. It's kind of like having a friend that really knows how to wind you up, and even after he's put you into fits of laughter, he just keeps going. "Okay, okay, I got it, stop, please!"

So then a couple days later, I watched the rest, and pretty much cried with laughter all over again. I like all the different directions it goes in. It's like a fever dream with a running theme. Every frame is spoofing something from 70s-90s television, which should be tired in its own right by now (nostalgia humor is done to death), but it's just so dead on and sarcastic that you can't help but love it. I really want to see Kelly's other work, like in "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" or whatever it's called.

Re: Informercial block. God damn I love Adult Swim.

Too Many Cooks - Dark Jaguar - 30th January 2015

I haven't watched Adult Swim in a long time. Their cartoon shows were funny, but then they started with that "Tim and Eric" show, and well, what exactly is the joke there? I don't get it! Is that the joke? Is it that I don't get it? I also never liked Robot Chicken.

So, I should find the time to watch these videos at some point.

Too Many Cooks - Sacred Jellybean - 30th January 2015

Yeah those two shows are unwatchable. Can't believe T&E got their own movie. How far can you coast on kitschy satire? Ugh. Adult Swim still has Venture Bros though. I don't have cable so I have to rely on VOD to get my fix.

Too Many Cooks - Sacred Jellybean - 30th January 2015

Boondocks was good too but after college, rewatching them became very uncomfortable. MacGruder tells jokes that are practically indistinguishable from a white supremacist :psyduck:

Too Many Cooks - Weltall - 31st January 2015

I found Robot Chicken to be consistently humorous and occasionally brilliant. CAN'T BE FRIENDS ANYMORE.

Too Many Cooks - Dark Jaguar - 1st February 2015

You know what's weird? I actually loved Tom Goes to the Mayor, even though it's from those Tim and Eric boys. I'm not exactly sure why I loved Tom but hated their next show, but I think it breaks down to the complete lack of any semblence of a point in the latter. The first, there's an actual premise, a clear drive and such, but in the latter... It's just a bunch of nonsense anti-humor.

As for Robot Chicken, well... It's just a bunch of the exact same sketch, and that sketch is "remember 80's pop culture? Here's the 80's if they were college frat boys, and everyone involved is the worst possible sort of person we can imagine". There's a particular bit from that show I see often online with that spartan guy shouting "This isn't funny!" and then kicking over his TV. That's basically my thoughts any time I watch the show. Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot, so I might be missing a few things, but no, I don't want to see the tooth fairy gunned down. That's just... mean, for the sake of being mean it seems.

Too Many Cooks - Sacred Jellybean - 2nd February 2015

This isn't related to Adult Swim, but I've been getting into Twin Peaks lately. I'll write up an effortpost on it in the next couple nights.

Too Many Cooks - Dark Jaguar - 2nd February 2015

I heard there's a remake of that series coming along, or a sequel series... something or other.

Anyway, just saw the too many cooks thing there... I really wanted to like it, I really did. I had the best of hopes for it with all the hype it's been getting. To summerize: good concept, poor execution

I think my biggest issue is that it just... drags on and on and ON. I know it's only 10 minutes, but wow does it feel like about an hour's worth of 10 minutes. They totally botched the comedic timing. When it finally got to changing up the initial joke (like 6 minutes in!), I just waiting for it to be over and I didn't get as much out of those later bits as I think I otherwise would have. That humor was otherwise right up my ally, I think, but wow, they REALLY could have trimmed that down. That should have been a 4 minute video, tops. I mean, that initial joke of "we're called "Too Many Cooks" and we keep on adding actors!"... Too much... just too much...

Also, some of those individual gags dragged on for way too long too. It kills the joke. And yes, I know that "that's the joke, they screwed up the timing!" in that antihumor kind of way, but it still wasn't funny, and they still screwed up their own jokes.

Edit: I'll say this though, really catchy song.

Too Many Cooks - Sacred Jellybean - 4th February 2015

Haha, I think that's a legitimate criticism. I thought a couple sequences went too long and they could have cut the space opera entirely. They probably had to fill out 10 minutes. Still, for me, the humor doesn't come from there being an enormous cast but the jabs it takes at 90s sitcoms. Here's the loving dad, the babies, the sassy grandma, the sex symbols (like Joey Lawrence), the pissed off police chief slamming his hand on the desk and chewing out the rogue officers.

Then it just gets creepy, with the scary serial killer offing everyone and cannibalizing them. It becomes a fever dream of terror, culminating with the bloody puppet crawling desperately through the apocalyptic hellscape of sitcoms, trying to press the big red button and end it all. It's like poetry.

I know it's fruitless to explain the joke (and no doubt you picked up on all that but it didn't resonate). Still, I love it. Best internet video I've ever seen, 10/10. :D

Too Many Cooks - Weltall - 4th February 2015

What is everyone's opinion on Unedited Footage of a Bear?

I think it's even better.

Too Many Cooks - Sacred Jellybean - 4th February 2015

I like Too Many Cooks more, but Unedited Footage of a Bear is still funny, creepy, and awesome.