Tendo City
Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... (/showthread.php?tid=6800)

Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... - Dark Jaguar - 20th January 2015

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-closing-club-nintendo-but-dont-panic-1680579996

They're closing it... That's a shame, but recent Club Nintendo rewards haven't really been all that great. Well, glad I got some nice rewards while the getting was good. Mind, I hit platinum before it went down, so I have to wonder if they're going to provide any rewards for that most recent platinum... You know, something to go out on. Nintendo, I would take a NES cart reprint with Earthbound (Mother 1) on it. Just something easy :D.

Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2015

Yeah, at first they had some good rewards, but reward quality has definitely gone steeply downhill in recent years. I also find it quite frustrating that for physical games, only first-party games were eligible for points; it'd be better if everything for the system was! I just hope that they replace this with something similar but maybe better. Some kind of rewards program is probably a good idea...

Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... - Dark Jaguar - 20th January 2015

The best elite status reward, by far, was the fully functional recreation of a Game & Watch "Ball" handheld. I mean, that was just great. As for paid rewards, I liked the two Game & Watch DS collections (there's a theme there), and the golden wii remote nun-chuck.

Japan sure got far better stuff most of the time, but really I point to that small handful there as some of the best things that program ever gave me. Hmm, I think the best thing the old Nintendo Fun Club ever got me was... Dragon Warrior and all it's goodies as an addition to an issue of Nintendo Power (that issue itself being the player's guide FOR Dragon Warrior).

Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... - Sacred Jellybean - 22nd January 2015

I got pogs once in a Nintendo Power magazine. It had a silver cover. It was one of the best issues, I read it until its spine split apart. Can't remember if I threw it out or my mother did. Damn it mom! At least I saved a copy of the Official Dreamcast Magazine. That was some quality publication. Those guys had a good sense of humor.

Don't Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today... - A Black Falcon - 23rd January 2015

I didn't get any of those really good rewards from Club Nintendo, but I did get a few things, including that Ultra Hand WiiWare game, a WiiWare game or two, the Zelda (TP/various Links/PH) poster set, and I think a calendar or something.

As for Nintendo Power, I read it all through the '90s, but my town's library subscribed to Nintendo Power pretty much throughout its run, so I didn't have to subscribe. I had a couple of random issues, and did subscribe for two years in the mid '90s anyway (early '95 to early '97), but stopped because it was the Game Boy's down time and there were so few GB games in the magazine anymore that it wasn't worth paying for (remember that I wouldn't own an N64 until Sept. '99). And by the time I had an N64 websites could mostly cover what magazines had, though I did continue subscribing to PC Gamer for several more years; that one I got from '96 to '01.

Sadly though, all of my old magazines except for one issue of PC Gamer were left behind when we moved in the mid '00s. I have almost everything else gaming-related that I've ever gotten, except for those magazines. I have all of the PC Gamer demo disc CDs that came with the magazines, though, so that's cool... and Nintendo-related, I have some of those trading card sets that came in the magazines, the members card, and one VHS tape they sent to members, the 'introducing the Nintendo 64' one which shows off Mario 64, Pilotwings, and Shadows of the Empire.

Anyway though, as I said before, the issue with Club Nintendo is that getting points for it required you to buy lots of new first-party Nintendo games. Third-party titles and used games get you nothing. So, I only rarely got many points, apart for 2010 since I got a Wii (new) that year...