Tendo City
Splinter Cell Cube - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Splinter Cell Cube (/showthread.php?tid=68)

Splinter Cell Cube - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2003

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3824
And PS2, too.

Splinter Cell Cube - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2003

Oh yes, that's right. This was one of XBox's "temporary exclusives", like MGS2: Substance. MS really should think a little fasha ahead.

Here's the big question though. Are they adding any new features to the other versions? If not, then I'll just get whichever one looks the best. If so, I get the one with the most features.

Splinter Cell Cube - Great Rumbler - 7th January 2003

I'll just get the Xbox version, since the GC version will probably be a mediocre port.

Splinter Cell Cube - OB1 - 7th January 2003

I bet it'll be a port of the PS2 port, like most GC ports are. And those stupid third-parties wonder why their GC ports sell so poorly... idiots.

I bought the X-Box version a couple of weeks ago because Best Buy was selling it for $38. And I won't be able to download new levels on the GC like I'll be able to on the X-Box.

Yeah, that's right. Unless they set up a special site that can be logged into by the GCN/PS2 versions without using XBox Live.

Well that's assuming that the additional levels will already be on the GC and PS2 discs. There are several downloadable levels planned for the future.

...No I think you misunderstood me. I assumed they wouldn't put them on there. I was saying they could set up an online site seperate from the XBox Live one that both the PS2 and the GCN could log on to to download any new levels that come along that way. Whether or not it would be free is another thing entirely. However, the XBox version is out now, and unless some new gameplay features are put on the new versions, I'll just get the Box version.

Where are you going to put the levels? On a memory card?

Well yeah, that's what I was thinking... like TimeSplitters 2... Are there lots of textures and music that's also part of level downloads, or is it just a basic "mapper" for existing room part types and texture sets? I mean, the PS2 has a hard drive (has that been released state-side yet?), so that's set, but if the levels downloaded have lots of high-space consuming stuff like what I said, then I guess the GCN would be out of luck.

I'm not totally positive, but I believe the new levels are more than just "remixes" of previous levels.

Well, I assume you mean that as in using old textures, enemies, and so on, but the map, and possibly the AI (since AI is also a very small space consuming item) would be what's new. However, yeah now that I actually take the time to think about it, I do believe they would be including all sorts of new textures and sounds along with the maps, since with a game like Splinter Cell it's likely to be all new missions. I guess it wouldn't be quite like Starcraft or Warcraft maps, which are in fact just a bunch of mappers and programmed trigger placements most of the time (not that that makes them worse or anything :D). In any case, I was planning on getting the XBox version anyway so no biggy.

You'll have to may a small fee for the levels, so I assume that they're going to be about as good as the ones in the game.

You mean an additional fee on top of the XBox Live fee? You see, I think that if MS is going with the XBox Live program, some of the XBox Live fee should be used to pay all the developers who sign up with the service. Oh well, most games are free aside from the XBox Live fee, this is an exception as far as I know.

There's going to be two kinds of downloadable content with X-Box Live: Premium content and free content. Most of the early stuff is going to be free, but then pretty much everything else is gonna cost a little extra.

Splinter Cell Cube - Private Hudson - 7th January 2003

OB1, what did you think of SC?

Excellent game, even better than MGS2. Definitely the best X-Box game available right now.

Splinter Cell Cube - EdenMaster - 7th January 2003

Looks like an awesome game, even though it was on X-Box I thought it looked good. Now that it's on GameCube, I can enjoy the game soon, without buying one of those ongodly Black Slabs.

I wouldn't expect great things from the GC port (which will probably be a port of the PS2 port) if I were you. And there's no way the PS2 version is going to look as good as the X-Box game.

Splinter Cell Cube - He Who Annoys All - 13th January 2003

Of course the XBox version is going to be the best. There is no way in hell some crappy port for the GC is going to be anywhere nea as good, maybe (but not likely) from the PS2. I thought that you had to pay for the XBox Live service and then everything else was free, it would suck to have to pay for extra levels. Not that I'm even allowed to get the game...I hate having younger syblings...its free to dounload updated rosters for NFL Feaver 2003, so why not for other games too?

Splinter Cell Cube - OB1 - 13th January 2003

Because Microsoft is greedy.

Splinter Cell Cube - He Who Annoys All - 13th January 2003

well no shit, but being to greedy will be their ultimate undoing.

Splinter Cell Cube - OB1 - 13th January 2003

Well they've been greedy so far and they don't seem to be slowing down.

Splinter Cell Cube - EdenMaster - 13th January 2003

I'm not expecting a landmark game ported from another console, but it'll still be fun...probably. Too early to say yet, so I'll just assume it'll be all right.

Splinter Cell Cube - OB1 - 14th January 2003

Go to ign and take a look at the PS2 screens. They don't look too bad!