Tendo City
What are you playing? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: What are you playing? (/showthread.php?tid=6797)

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 8th January 2015

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 8th January 2015

Also, Thoughtful Mario World ;) But I'm not playing anymore until I shop for a nice cheap USB game pad. I'm gonna tear this game up! Challenge accepted!

What are you playing? - A Black Falcon - 9th January 2015

Quote: Simple, straight to the point, and Falcon, don't give me no obscure junk like Rad Racer for Game Gear. Ain't nobody wanna hear that.
Hey, you don't buy obscure games and then not play them! :)

Really though, my problem with this thread is the same one it's been for quite some time now -- I have so many issues actually sticking with most games that a "now playing" list would need to be posted in almost every day to be relevant. We've had threads like that before, years ago. Probably the way I should do things is actually stick with a game until I get far into it or finish it, as I did much more often back in the '90s, but... too many games, I get distracted! :p

There are a few games I've played very frequently in the past few years, though. At the top of the list would be Picross 3D for the DS, Picross DS for the DS, and Class of Heroes for the PSP. I just posted a long review of that third game recently, so read that for my thoughts on that game. As for the two Picross games, they're so, so addictive! I did every puzzle in Picross 3D, then got DS and did all of those puzzles, in 2013 & 2014. Then, just before Nintendo shut down Wi-Fi Connection on the Wii and DS (because shutting it down was easier than fixing it after Gamespy shut down :(), I downloaded as many puzzles as I could into both carts; it's nowhere near all the puzzles, and it's horrible that now I can't play the rest of them because Nintendo were too cheap to fix that problem, but at least it's more than the built-in puzzles. I finished all the ones I downloaded into Picross DS, but I'm still working on Picross 3D; the puzzles take longer, and it can hold more puzzles. I'm a bit more than halfway through the downloaded ones now. Awesome game, so addictive!

Beyond those games, there isn't really a 'games I'm playing longer-term' for me, just 'what I played today' stuff.

What are you playing? - Dark Jaguar - 9th January 2015

Sorry SB, had to spoiler tag that post of yours. Yes, the game does have one jump scare, but the build up to it is just so incredible. Pay attention and you'll notice all sorts of clues to what's about to happen, and frankly while it may not be filled up with a bunch of psychological monsters, what it does have is very well written. Basic, but well written.

...Who keeps umbilical cords in their garage?

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 11th January 2015

Ah, no problem! Thanks for catching that.

What are you playing? - Dark Jaguar - 12th January 2015

Oh, as I've said in other threads, it's a simple fact that P.T. was built to require the entire INTERNET to solve the final puzzle. Originally, everyone thought it was just some indie title (going by Strong Bad definition of "indie", meaning some kid's rich dad payed oodles for it). It wasn't until someone randomly stumbled upon the ending (which, as of now, is still the "official" way to beat it, randomly get 3 baby laughs), that they realized it was actually a Hideo Kojima thing, and Silent Hill at that. There's LOTS of hints that the whole internet needed to research, and frankly it's still not clear exactly what those hints are telling you to do in that last puzzle. One thing, you actually do press buttons, just not many. There's a point where you need to use the X button (clearly labelled) and many points where you need to use R3 to zoom in (frankly, with such little button use, I'd have preferred a shoulder button for zoom, as R3 is such a bothersome thing to hold in).

I'm actually wondering if the final product can live up to the "teaser" (which they've officially stated has nothing to do with the plot of the game it's teasing). Everything the teaser does is on such a minimalist level, and a "full game" will have a lot of trouble being more terrifying than what they pulled off in the teaser. Every thing they do with the shadows and tricking your expectations and all the nuanced hints at the background story behind what's going on, it's brilliant, but how well could it work in a full city?

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 18th January 2015

Wow, there's a lot I missed there! Guess I've only scratched the surface (there's a fucking umbilical cord in the garage?? ...that was a garage?), so I'll have to dive right back in.

I don't think I like that norman reedus will be in silent hills. I don't like walking dead or boondock saints, and he never struck me as having great acting chops. I hope hideo can keep him from mucking it up. I mean hideo did base snake off of kurt russell so he must know what he's doing, right?

What are you playing? - Dark Jaguar - 19th January 2015

The best part of Walking Dead is the first episode, starring nothing but Norman Reedus. You don't need any other episodes.

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 20th January 2015

I don't remember him in the first episode, just the policeman and the black father and possibly the blonde woman who was in Silent Hill. I saw the first 6? eposodes, all of season 1. I heard it gets better than that but I've seen later episodes and meh.

Maybe I'll give it a watch. What's the season/episode?

What are you playing? - Dark Jaguar - 20th January 2015

It actually gets a lot worse in the later seasons. Everyone I know basically gave up on the series.

I made a mistake, I saw the first episode a long time ago and completely forgot who the main character that basically starred that episode was. I do remember it being pretty good though. Later episodes he met a bunch of other people, and well, the show fell apart when it tried to show how real people would interact. I daresay they're possibly the most insane and dysfunctional lot of humanity they could have picked. Frankly, they should all have died by this point leaving more capable humans as survivors.

What are you playing? - Weltall - 22nd January 2015

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Also, Thoughtful Mario World ;) But I'm not playing anymore until I shop for a nice cheap USB game pad. I'm gonna tear this game up! Challenge accepted!

It will wreck yoU!!

I estimate that I'll have a finished, full game ready in about two months. All that's left to do is Special Star World and Bowser's Valley. All earlier levels are going to be revamped and perfected, as well.

Walking Dead, I do still watch it. Honestly, this season, so far, has been my favorite. Seasons 2-4 had a tendency to be very slow-paced and I found myself not really caring about what was going on. Season 5 has, so far, been relatively exciting and interesting. I think what has helped a lot is that many of the more annoying characters have died by this point.

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 22nd January 2015

Good, I ordered a USB game pad in the fashion of the SNES controller. Should be here any day now. Bring that shit ooowwwnn

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 23rd January 2015

And now, elderly people playing Grand Theft Auto V. Spoiler alert: they love stealing cars and murdering bystanders as much as the rest of us. Best quote? "It's no fun when you get busted by the cops. It's not like the good ol days before DNA testing and shit."

[video=youtube_share;KHoOrFdgYR8]http://youtu.be/KHoOrFdgYR8[/video]

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 14th March 2015

I told my friend I wanted to play Bioshocks 1 & 2, and would probably acquire an X-Box 360. He gave me his old one! With a few games, one of which is Red Dead Redemption. Very fun game! I like that Rockstar has used the same controls across multiple games. After having gotten use to the GTA V, I've picked this one right up no problem. I always thought it was a cool idea: a western-style GTA. And this delivers. The level of detail is quite good.

What are you playing? - Sacred Jellybean - 11th February 2017

bump

I'm playing Shadow of Mordor at the time. I'm actually reading through Lord of the Rings right now (never did so before, but I figured it was a cultural touchstone I had to hit). I've had it for two years, actually, but didn't dust it off until recently. The first time I popped it in, it seemed like the combat system was shallow, more focused on showing slick animations of lobbing off orc heads than actual gameplay.

Having given it an actual chance, I have to walk back on that. Once you get further in, the game adds more elements to keep it interesting. You learn more moves that you need as the game gets more difficult. The ground-pound comes to mind, where your character slams his fist against the ground to knock back swarms of surrounding enemies. You can grab orcs and interrogate them to learn the strengths/weaknesses of warlords you need to take on. As the game progresses, you can also overpower enemies and make them come to your side, helping you fight off the rest of the hordes. You can do so to the big wig warchiefs as well, then pit them against each other.

The game also incorporates stealth and platformer elements. The latter is simplified compared to games like Metal Gear Solid 5 (the 5 in that game represents the 5 hours I played before putting it away forever). Orcs are practically blind. You can run like 50 feet in front of them and they won't bat an eye. A big part of the game is hiding and luring them over with sounds, then grabbing and slaughtering them.

The platforming elements are quite good, almost as good as Uncharted, which is saying a lot. Actually, this game has more platforming elements, I would say. Your character's practically a monkey, jumping up and climbing cracks on fort walls or the sides of mountains, walking across tightropes, standing on a high wall and dropping down to a beast to ride him. All the tower climbing becomes important for running away from a mob of orcs that are wrecking your shit.

This game used to be easy, but now it's getting to be a pain in the ass. The missions are putting crowds of orcs to corner you and hack away. Many have shields to block you from swinging at them head-on. You have to flip over their heads and slash them from behind, but the moment you do that, you get stabbed with another guy with a pair of axes. This one doesn't have a shield, but he parries your attack and counters easily. In the midst of all this, there are scores of archers and spear chuckers hitting you from a distance, slowly draining your energy while you're focused on what's in front of you. It's getting very frustrating! But I'm engrossed all the same.

To the character itself, you play a ranger with a cliched story of a wife and son who are slaughtered by orcs. You're killed as well, but then this wraith guy with a similar background bonds to you or something and brings you back to life, then becomes your guide on your quest. Then you meet a new warrior woman who's going to be a new love interest and *replace the rest of this sentence with the Charlie Brown trumpet noise*

The game's graphics are dated in some parts (it is, after all, a port of the last gen consoles), but the orcs are rendered beautifully. They managed to pull in Gollem for the game -- his model's incredible. All the enemies are rendered better than the protagonists, to be honest. I'm okay with that. Orcs are more interesting to look at anyway.

What are you playing? - Dark Jaguar - 12th February 2017

Well, I've been playing various Doom games. I got through 1 and 2 and am working my way through "Master Levels". After that comes Final Doom, which will probably destroy me.

I've also started playing Resident Evil 7. All I can say here is "about time", because they've finally gone back to a horror feel after all those ridiculous shenanigans with government conspiracies and villainous Mary Sue, Wesker. It's got ties to the main storyline, but they realized not to focus on what's going on outside this Texas Chainsaw style house.