Tendo City
Pooh is not a good person... bear... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Pooh is not a good person... bear... (/showthread.php?tid=6761)

Pooh is not a good person... bear... - Dark Jaguar - 29th July 2014

We all know how terrible Superman can be, but apparently Pooh's comic strip outings were pretty terrible too. It's not like stuffed animals can get all too violent, but wow the passive aggression is ramped up about as high as it could be.

[Image: pooh1.jpg]

Way to taunt the local case of clinical depression there Pooh. You're one in a million.

[Image: pooh4.jpg]

Okay this one's not so bad, only in that it reminds me of those two old guys from the Muppet Show. Dooohohohoho!

[Image: pooh5-10-13.jpg]

It's like... I mean do these imaginary cartoon stuffed animal creatures not understand the nature of clinical depression?

[Image: pooh6.jpg]

Okay this one's just plain mean. That's the comic everyone!

[Image: pooh5.jpg]

Okay let's scale things back a bit there silly old bear! I think you've progressed from hostility to outright disregard for someone in mortal danger.

[Image: poohdickery1.jpg]

That's... better?

[Image: 58882_thumb.gif]

That came out of nowhere!

[Image: 8-25-13.jpg]

I... just stop it Pooh!

[Image: HQusY.gif]

Ouch, but wait, incoming!

[Image: FjEqk.gif]

All that just to drive Eeyore a bit closer to suicide?

[Image: 1-9-14.jpg]

Someone had to say it! Good on you Piglet!

[Image: pooh7.jpg]

Uh oh... Seems Piglet may have made a terrible enemy...

[Image: Zr4QC.gif]

For a bear of very little brain, he's pretty quick on the come-backs.

[Image: Hx1xy.gif]

And now we know why Piglet's got such low self esteem.

[Image: bdH6A.gif]

Is this a missing scene from the Godfather?

[Image: 58732_thumb.gif]

Now he's just actively hurting him...

[Image: tumblr_mat4tiz3B21rwxz9ko1_500.gif]

Well, you can only push a pig so far. I think we can all agree Pooh had this coming.

Pooh is not a good person... bear... - A Black Falcon - 29th July 2014

What the heck? Are those actually real? If so, that's pretty crazy messed up...

Pooh is not a good person... bear... - Dark Jaguar - 29th July 2014

Oh yes, those are real alright. A lot of those are directly from a web site currently hosting this old series, the others are from a few other places around the web, but yes, they ARE all real.

If you notice, they really aren't all that far from what Pooh would normally say in the cartoons. The intention is that he's just absent minded, not really thinking about any horribly insulting implications in what he says (there's also some pretty regressive social commentary if you want to look at it from that angle, such as suggesting that being depressed is a choice). However, that works a lot better with that kindly simple minded voice from the cartoons. In stark black and white text, it comes across as intentionally mean spirited.

Now that I've explained the joke, it isn't so funny any more, but still, this ran for about a decade from the 1970's to the 1980's. It's odd that no one seemed to notice just what an amazingly bad light this cast the Hundred Acre Woods in. It suggests Christopher Robbin isn't around mainly because he found them all too "toxic" and moved on with his life. That, or since these all represent his play-sessions and such, that he's acting out the sort of passive aggressive waspy arguments his aristocratic parents were undoubtedly involved in.

Newspaper comics have some dark undertones it seems. This is just a bit more naked than most. Remember that Garfield, as a comic, has a horribly depressed outcast in the form of Jon Arbuckle, slowly descending into madness. Garfield's antics just disguise that, as "Garfield Minus Garfield" reveals, by ONLY removing Garfield and NOTHING ELSE.