Tendo City
Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread (/showthread.php?tid=6749)

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2014

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - Great Rumbler - 21st June 2014

Lucas had to go. He was a drag on the franchise and too deeply embedded in his position as the one guy who could change any aspect of the movies and nobody could ever challenge.

But the better news is that Rian Johnson is going to write and direct episode 8 and 9.

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - Dark Jaguar - 21st June 2014

The two recent Star Trek movies were basically Star Wars movies, so JJ Abrams is apparently going to be able to do what he's actually been wanting to do all along.

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2014

So Harrison Ford broke his leg on set (in England). Too bad, but it's good to hear that he's recovering...

Great Rumbler Wrote:Lucas had to go. He was a drag on the franchise and too deeply embedded in his position as the one guy who could change any aspect of the movies and nobody could ever challenge.
I know many fans dislike him now, but I don't! I'm not expecting to like these movies as much as the prequel trilogy, but we'll see of course.

Quote:But the better news is that Rian Johnson is going to write and direct episode 8 and 9.
Who is he? I don't know the name.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:The two recent Star Trek movies were basically Star Wars movies, so JJ Abrams is apparently going to be able to do what he's actually been wanting to do all along.
This is true, but I don't think they were quite as good as any of the real Star Wars movies... though my bias against the Abrams Trek films because of how they aren't Star Trek movies is certainly a big part of why I disliked them, so that's hard to look at completely objectively.

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - Great Rumbler - 24th June 2014

Quote:I'm not expecting to like these movies as much as the prequel trilogy, but we'll see of course.

The PT is just bad. Sloppy writing, flat acting, inconsistent characters, out-of-place and unfunny humor, romance with no chemistry, pointless plot elements that went on way too long [the pod racing in Episode 1, Obi-wan's search for the missing planet in Episode 2], and the revelation that Darth Vader was just a bratty teenager who was mad because the adults in his life wouldn't let him do what he wanted. Both the recent Star Trek movies, while having some weaknesses themselves, are still better than that.

Quote:Who is he? I don't know the name.

He's the guy who wrote and directed Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Looper, which are all very good movies.

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2014

Great Rumbler Wrote:The PT is just bad. Sloppy writing, flat acting, inconsistent characters, out-of-place and unfunny humor, romance with no chemistry, pointless plot elements that went on way too long [the pod racing in Episode 1, Obi-wan's search for the missing planet in Episode 2], and the revelation that Darth Vader was just a bratty teenager who was mad because the adults in his life wouldn't let him do what he wanted. Both the recent Star Trek movies, while having some weaknesses themselves, are still better than that.
Yeah, I disagree pretty strongly here of course! Yes, I really do think that the prequels are good movies, and any of them are better than Abrams "Trek". As for Star Wars, 6 > 4 > 3=5 > 2 > 1. Yes, I like RotS just as much overall as I do ESB. RotS has some flaws, sure, but not enough to drag it down much.

As for specifics, the podracing segment is one of the best parts of ep. 1! I do agree that the PT has far too much unfunny humor, ep. 1 particularly, but there's enough there otherwise to make them very good movies anyway. Jar-Jar is not funny and the toilet humor was a bad idea, sure, but there's more to the movie than just that. And while I dislike the results I do think they had a solid concept for Jar-Jar's character, someone outcast for being different. As for the romance parts, yeah, they were cheesy, but it was supposed to be that way, and I thought it was fine as-is. And last, Darth Vader being a whiny teenager... sure, it doesn't exactly fit with the image you have of Darth Vader from the OT, but it definitely does fit the character well. Palpatine did a perfect job of preying on Anakin's insecurities and pushing him to the result he ended up in.

Quote:He's the guy who wrote and directed Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Looper, which are all very good movies.
I've never heard of the first two of those. Looper... the name sounds vaguely familiar, maybe, but I don't know if I know anything much about it.

Star Wars VII ( & beyond) Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2014

Great Rumbler Wrote:The PT is just bad. Sloppy writing, flat acting, inconsistent characters, out-of-place and unfunny humor, romance with no chemistry, pointless plot elements that went on way too long [the pod racing in Episode 1, Obi-wan's search for the missing planet in Episode 2], and the revelation that Darth Vader was just a bratty teenager who was mad because the adults in his life wouldn't let him do what he wanted. Both the recent Star Trek movies, while having some weaknesses themselves, are still better than that.
Yeah, I disagree pretty strongly here of course! Yes, I really do think that the prequels are good movies, and any of them are better than Abrams "Trek". As for Star Wars, 6 > 4 > 3=5 > 2 > 1. Yes, I like RotS just as much overall as I do ESB. RotS has some flaws, sure, but not enough to drag it down much.

As for specifics, the podracing segment is one of the best parts of ep. 1! I do agree that the PT has far too much unfunny humor, ep. 1 particularly, but there's enough there otherwise to make them very good movies anyway. Jar-Jar is not funny and the toilet humor was a bad idea, sure, but there's more to the movie than just that. And while I dislike the results I do think they had a solid concept for Jar-Jar's character, someone outcast for being different. As for the romance parts, yeah, they were cheesy, but it was supposed to be that way, and I thought it was fine as-is. And last, Darth Vader being a whiny teenager... sure, it doesn't exactly fit with the image you have of Darth Vader from the OT, but it definitely does fit the character well. Palpatine did a perfect job of preying on Anakin's insecurities and pushing him to the result he ended up in.

Quote:He's the guy who wrote and directed Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Looper, which are all very good movies.
I've never heard of the first two of those. Looper... the name sounds vaguely familiar, maybe, but I don't know if I know anything much about it.