Tendo City
Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... (/showthread.php?tid=6716)

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 20th February 2014

But it apparently is young people slang for "you only live once". Contrary to the OBVIOUS LESSON that human beings take from that observation, this is stated just before someone does something that could kill them for little to no gain (and I'm including dreams, none of the things they are doing are furthering their life goals).

I can't even understand that logic, no matter how hard I try. The only way to justify racing around at night at 120 miles an hour would be if "you, and everyone else, actually have infinite lives so there's nothing to lose by dying doing something stupid".

[Image: 677fde21503b952dafd57df703d203c901355605...e8d691.jpg]

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Great Rumbler - 21st February 2014

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 21st February 2014

Funny stuff, but that said, I AM the careful friend who doesn't like taking stupid risks. It's one thing to travel to the dangerous rain forests if your goal is to study wildlife or help install proper plumbing in poor towns. It's another to do the "cinnamon challenge" because you want people to laugh at you on Youtube. If you can't tell the difference, you're a moron. Cut it out.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - A Black Falcon - 21st February 2014

The idea is 'you only live once, so do interesting things while you can', yes? I'm not that kind of person either, but I can see why people would think that way.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2014

I really can't. It is an alien concept to me. What is so interesting about risking your life jumping between buildings? Those buildings are already there, you didn't discover a thing!

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Weltall - 25th February 2014

Today I took a shower without my clothes on #yolo

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - A Black Falcon - 5th March 2014

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I really can't. It is an alien concept to me. What is so interesting about risking your life jumping between buildings? Those buildings are already there, you didn't discover a thing!

#yolo people would find you quite boring, I imagine, then. :)

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 5th March 2014

Really this sort of attitude is rarely ever actually "lived" by the majority wearing the shirts. I think it's just the modern version of 90's era "No Fear" shirts. (Though, someone that is literally fearless is probably a sociopath who lacks empathy.)

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2014

Hmm... like a newer version of "No Fear", huh? Yeah, I can see that. Good comparison, I think.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Weltall - 6th March 2014

I thought "No Fear" was just some clothing brand.

Edit: it is.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 6th March 2014

It is, but all the kids were wearing it, so they adopted it. I wouldn't be surprised if YOLO turned out to have been thought up in some marketing think tank too.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - A Black Falcon - 10th March 2014

"No Fear" wasn't just a clothing line, it was on everything! Binders, even. And it was a motto that, yeah, meant something a lot like #yolo does. You've forgotten the '90s, Weltall?

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Weltall - 12th March 2014

[Image: Nike_orag1.jpg]

[Image: il_340x270.533534893_hj79.jpg]

[Image: x354.jpg]

See what I'm getting at?

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - A Black Falcon - 12th March 2014

I guess they do, but I don't remember seeing Nike binders all that often... but at least here, No Fear stuff was VERY popular, for binders, folders, etc., in elementary school and Jr. High.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 14th March 2014

Not exactly. I never claimed "No Fear" wasn't created by some slogan writers, I'm just saying that kids in school all seemed to embrace and adopt it as their personal motto really quickly. I also secretly suspect "YOLO" was also written by some executive somewhere.

Frankly I thought Yolo was some sort of yogert brand... - Dark Jaguar - 13th March 2015

Oh, and before you forget it, the "Just Do It" slogan proved so popular BECAUSE kids so readily adopted it as their own. Just Do It was, in fact, a youth philosophy.