Tendo City
So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=6709)

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 2nd February 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=5&

Have any of you done the quiz?

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd February 2014

[Image: NLMXWbc.png]

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 3rd February 2014

You shouldn't need to log in to see it... try copy and pasting the URL?

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Weltall - 3rd February 2014

It insists upon a login for me as well.

Is this the article about the results of a huge regional dialect survey? I was a participant in that survey.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 3rd February 2014

No, it's the survey itself. Weird that you both have issues, it works for me without logging in... if I copy the URL and paste it into the address bar instead of clicking the link, that is. If I click the link it does go to that "log in" page, but not if I copy and paste the URL.

But yeah, it's ind of interesting that that managed to be more popular than any of their actual news articles last year...

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Dark Jaguar - 4th February 2014

There's a pay wall for the Times ABF. You probably logged in at some point and still have the cookie set up for you, but none of us have anything like that.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 4th February 2014

Nope. I don't have a pay account on the NY Times.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Dark Jaguar - 4th February 2014

Well at any rate, we can't see this thing. The Times really needs to ditch this whole way they "guard" their news. Just stick some ad space in there!

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 4th February 2014

Well, that didn't make enough money, so they went to a subscription model instead last year. A few months ago that accent quiz wasn't behind the paywall, but now it sort of is. In this case it's easy to get around for this article if you're really interested in trying it, though -- click the link, then change the beginning to just 'www.nytimes.com' without the other stuff and delete everything after .html from the address bar and hit enter. That works for me anyway (though I do also have NoScript on, that may help too?).

If you don't want to try to figure it out though, unfortunately, it's an interesting quiz which asks a bunch of questions about how you pronounce various words. At the end it shows where in the country your accent most likely fits in. I tried it several times, and always got Maine as one of the most likely areas, so though I found some of the questions confusing and don't have much of an accent, I clearly do have some regionalisms in my speech here and there...

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Dark Jaguar - 5th February 2014

Ah yes, the noble nation of Maine.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Weltall - 5th February 2014

A Black Falcon Wrote:No, it's the survey itself. Weird that you both have issues, it works for me without logging in... if I copy the URL and paste it into the address bar instead of clicking the link, that is. If I click the link it does go to that "log in" page, but not if I copy and paste the URL.

But yeah, it's ind of interesting that that managed to be more popular than any of their actual news articles last year...

I was referring to an academic survey done by Harvard, in which I participated last year. Or, the year before, can't remember. Same thing but a lot more comprehensive.

Anyway, I found another link to the survey. Here's my result if anyone is interested.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Sacred Jellybean - 9th February 2014

I remember when this was circulating. I got an east coast/Pennsylvania accent, as is expected.

Reminds me of this thing I saw online. "Me and my brother, when we were little kids, we always used to give trouble to this boy in the neighborhood. We thought he was retarded because he had a speech impediment. Turns out, he was just from New Jersey."

As someone from New Jersey, I about collapsed on the floor and giggled my lungs out. Was laughing at it on and off over the course of a few days. Whew! Dead on.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - etoven - 10th February 2014

I couldn't see it either. I also got a login screen.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 21st February 2014

Seriously, it's really easy to get around the NY Times' paywall if you try. You could also pay of course, but for people who don't want to do that, it's oddly easy to get around...

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2014

Well, that's fine because frankly, I don't care about some poorly thought out cosmopolitan survey with no basis in reality to begin with. They might as well have "what kind of pokemon are you?" or something equally silly.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - A Black Falcon - 22nd February 2014

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Well, that's fine because frankly, I don't care about some poorly thought out cosmopolitan survey with no basis in reality to begin with. They might as well have "what kind of pokemon are you?" or something equally silly.

What? I don't know why you're so skeptical, but you're wrong. They ask a bunch of questions about how you say different things, then at the end it gives a fairly accurate analysis of where in the country people who talk that way are probably from.

So this was the NY Times' most-read online article in 2013 - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2014

I already know where I'm from, wait... don't I? Who am I? Who are you?! Who do you work for?!