Tendo City
New GBA - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: New GBA (/showthread.php?tid=67)

Pages: 1 2

New GBA - Private Hudson - 7th January 2003

Booyah
[Image: ninten01.jpg] [Image: ninten04.jpg]

I only just bought my GBA a few weeks ago. Mad

New GBA - Weltall - 7th January 2003

That's sexy... I might get one someday but I don't even use the one I have now that often.

New GBA - Laser Link - 7th January 2003

That has got to be more uncormfortable than an XBox controller. I don't like the look of it, but I guess that's good since I don't need this. Now I won't have any desires to buy it. I'm amazed at how fast this is coming out! The 3 hour recharge is pretty impressive as well.

New GBA - Private Hudson - 7th January 2003

[Image: mdf180088.jpg]

I prefer the GBA design over the flip-up GBC design.

New GBA - The Former DMiller - 7th January 2003

It does look uncomfortable, but from what I've heard people who have tried it are saying it is just as comfortable as the normal GBA.

New GBA - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2003

Wow! Color me surprised! *insert Metal Gear "caught" sound*

I wasn't expecting CNN of all places to get the scoop first, but I guess they did. Anyway, it seems they went back to the GB/GBC design over the Game Gear based design. To be honest, I liked the GG design better myself, but if they say it's still comfortable, then it's okay. I suspect the shoulder buttons are back there behind the screen, or maybe in the back of the unit, making them more trigger style. That would indeed make them far more comfortable than the shoulder button placement on the GBA, one of the biggest control flaws. The start/select buttons are also bigger now, another fixed problem.

Backlighting is also a lovely addition, and I suspect the main change they have made. Afterburner had a good go, but now I suspect they will go out of business, unless there is a sufficient number of people who want the old shape but also want a backlighting solution for it. Of course, as I always knew Nintendo would do, they added an option to turn off the light, to increase the life time of the system to 18, two hours short of the GBA's normal life time. To be honest, taking 8 hours of life time from the batteries, as opposed to 5 hours with the afterburner, says the light source isn't nearly as efficient. Aren't the Japanese supposed to make everything more efficient?

The rechargeble battery thing sounds interesting. To be honest, I haven't used alcaline batteries in my GBA for a long while and have been using Mad Catz' rechargeble battery station for all my battery needs, so it won't be that big a change so long as Nintendo gives us two battery packs and the charger with the system, and has an extra slot on the charger where I can just put the GBA-SP like a portable phone for instant charging, just like my current charge unit.

The new shape again is very interesting. It will take up less pocket space, so that's nice. That's something I don't think ANYONE thought Nintendo was going to do. Flipping it does leave a vulnerability, in that it's possible someone could snap off the screen or something terrifying like that. Again though, with how the cartridge plugs in, GB and GBC games will stick out a bit. Fortunatly, it won't interfere with holding it.

It seems that they didn't add more buttons or more power to the system, but like I said, making what would be in essence a new system that would have exlcusive games would be far more risky than just releasing an updated version of the same system, with the same basic abilities. I also doubt they added the infrared communication port from the GBC at all. I doubted it anyway.

One thing though. Did they fix the backwards compatibility flaws? Hopefully so. Also, did they add Super Game Boy mode support for all those old GB games that had it? Also, hopefully so.

You know, ironically, this perfectly fits into my plan. Now I really will buy an updated GBA-SP for myself and give my old afterburned GBA (plus recharge station, since that won't even be compatible now, I can tell just by looking at it that the place for the battery is now much smaller than two AAs, so it likely won't support any alcalines at all) to my little brother and sister.

Well, time to wait for this little sucker to come out. I suspect that if this flip top design prooves rigid enough, this will be Nintendo's basic design for all future GBs.

New GBA - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2003

But... but... I posted this first (in the Megaton thread, but still, I posted it 4 1/2 hours before this thread...)
Oh, and when I posted it it wasn't CNN PGC linked to, it was USA Today. There weren't any pictures yet, though.

Hmm. It looks interesting... the backlight is a nice addition, but the new shape sure is strange.

I don't know if I'd get one... $100, while standard GBAs are just $70 and might go lower... and isn't that NGC GBA Player thing supposed to be $50?

Yeah, but that GCN GBA player thing is kinda... NOT portable. Also, the whole reason someone would get the most expensive one is for the backlighting. Would someone be willing to pay $30 more for rechargeble batteries and a backlight? Well, since that's actually less than the price of buying a decent light for the current GBA and a rechargeble battery pack, I'd say yes they would, IF they wanted those two things to begin with.

In any case, I do believe that button near the screen is what turns the light on and off. I also believe I can just see the end of one of the shoulder buttons, which means yes, they ARE still top mounted. That sucks, but I'll see if the comfort is any better. There is just one final piece of the puzzle. If those shoulder buttons are there, where's room for the GBA link port? Sure, they could just barely squeeze it between the shoulder buttons, but that is both ackward AND something that would prevent the GBA/GCN link cable from being hooked up. It's not on top of the screen, because the screen's top is shown in the flipped down image. In fact, there are only two places to put it since we've seen the other sides already. The left side of the control portion of the system, or the bottom. Being on the bottom is just ackward. Being on the left side would make holding it a bit more challenging, but it could at least work out. The last option is they removed the link cable, but just thinking about something THAT stupid is hilarious.

I should have known... I just checked IGN Pocket, and they happen to have more pics of this system. In fact, they DO have plenty of room on the back of the control side of the unit to plug in even the GBA/GCN link cable. Yes, those ARE the shoulder buttons on there. How did they do it? The buttons are a centimeter long back there! Sheesh, make the buttons HARDER to use why don't you Nintendo? I still think they should mount the L and R buttons on the BACK of the system, like the Virtual Boy's trigger buttons. That would fix all the comfort problems.

In any case, I'm still interested, and this system isn't out YET, so hey they may just turn the shoulder buttons into triggers (and no, the Z button on the GCN controller is NOT a trigger, I don't care what Nintendo says).

New GBA - WhiteFleck - 7th January 2003

One picture of my hands around imaginary GBAsp dimensions.

Another!

New GBA - Great Rumbler - 7th January 2003

I doubt I'll get this, I love me pink GBA too much!!

New GBA - OB1 - 7th January 2003

Well I'll be damned! CNN was right!

My first impressions after seeing this new GBA was "Awesome!", but I think I'll have to wait until I read some impressions by the PGC or IGN guys about how comfortable it is before I consider selling my old GBA. And looking at those comparison shots it seems as thought the new GBA-SP screen is larger than the GBA one, which is a huge plus. That silver GBA-SP looks super sexy, and if the light is good and it feels right in my hands, I'll definitely be picking it up as soon as it comes out.

New GBA - MgL - 7th January 2003

Nintendo is pissing the living shit out of me. The GameCube was the first console I got close to launch (a week after I think... compared to getting a Xbox a year after launch and a PS2 last year). I couldn't even afford a fuckin game so I used BlockBuster. I was so pumped up for this machine, but lately I find myself dissapointed like hell.

When the GC was announced I was itching to get my fingers on the new Starfox game. The game turned out to be complete and utter shit. Fuckin Rare disgraced the SF name. That was my first dissapointment. I can honestly say I only have enjoyed three games so far (Prime, SSB:M, RE). All the GC is getting are these lackluster fuckin ports. This is my second dissapointment. Alot of shit has been announced this month for this GC, but when I hear about some fuckin event or something that will be special, I DEMAND that it be on the GC and not the fuckin GBA. I can't stand that damn thing. I don't own a GBA, because I refuse to pay $25-$30 for a bunch of ports or 2d games that shouldn't cost more than $10 at most. So my thrid dissapointment came yesterday when a new version of the GBA was announced. Sure Nintendo is making nice cash of the machine, but for christ's sake, how about spreading some fuckin love to the GC? Where the hell are my pics of StarFox Armada or some other unknown GC games? Wasn't last month's GBA/GC thing enough for GBA fans? I mean, give me a freakin break here...

I am not going to buy that thing. This is going to be what? The GBA's 2nd anniversary? I thought the 50+ GBA colors was enough to piss off GBA fans who had to choose from some ugly ass launch colors, but now there already is a new model out. Anyone who buys this is going to be an idiot. First off it has no earphone jack. Second off, how much do you want to bet that Nintendo will announce a new model with special abilities and a built in camera or some shit two-three years from now?

That's my opinion on this too OB1. I personally think the light should be excellent quality already (though I could be wrong), but it's the comfort that gives me doubts. With two small slivers for shoulder buttons, I find it hard to believe it's the most ergonomic thing in the world.

The US colors seem interesting, cobolt (a nice metallic blue), and silver. I think I'll go with silver.

I'm happy about the extra space between the face buttons and the shoulder buttons. My hands are way too big for the tiny little GBA button set-up. And it looks like the d-pad is larger as well, which is a very good thing.

MgL: I'm sorry you feel that way. I own all three systems and I actually bought almost as many GC games as PS2 and X-Box games put together in 2002. You can only name three good GC games? Here's a list of the GC games I have (I sold SFA, which I thought was pretty good but had no replay value):

-Animal Crossing
-Rogue Leader
-Resident Evil
-Time Splitters 2
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Metroid Prime
-Eternal Darkness

And I wish I could have gotten more, but I also had to get some PS2 and X-Box games last year. Here are some of the other titles that I would have bought in 2002 if I had the money:

-Super Monkey Ball 2
-Resident Evil 0
-Smash Bros. Melee
-Pikmin
-Mortal Kombat DA
-Nightfire
-Wave Race Blue Storm
and a few others that have slipped my mind

I'd hardly call that a bad year for the Gamecube. 2002 was definitely kinder to the GC than it was to the X-Box IMO.

New GBA - Italian_Pyro - 7th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by WhiteFleck
Another!

What did you measure in this one?! WF has been a naughty...small, small boy

Um, the milky white launch GBA did and still does look awesome. No one felt like they HAD to get each and every color, except the most obsessed. Nintendo just gave extra options, not extra features.

I just read IGN's updated GBA-SP article. Seems the screen size is identical, virtually, whatever that means :D. Yes, it does seem that they removed the headphone jack, replacing it with a universal jack for both power and sound. Seems I'll have to buy an adapter, which will THEN allow me to plug in whatever headphones I want. It sucks that they would do something like that, but I'm willing to pay like $3 or so, which I figure is what it would have to be priced at. Eh, this is Nintendo, it'll be $10 like the link cables.

Too bad there's still only one speaker though. But at least it's not going to be covered by my thumb anymore.

Among other things, I measured the size of the GBAsp and what I'd imagine the fingers would do. It feels really crowded when you do it, but maybe a little tension is good.

Damn, those L and R triggers are tiny! I certainly hope they feel alright.

On another note, I'm willing to bet everyone here that either MS or Sony (or both) copy this new GBA-SP design for their possible future handheld consoles. Mainly because it doesn't look like a "toy" like the GBA does.

I'm not sure exactly why you think that this looks less toylike, or that the GBA looks more toylike, but yes this certainly is a new look.

In any case, nice to see you finally saw IGN's pics of the L and R buttons. Now you see my concern. Since I measured the system in my mind based on the screen being the same size as the current GBA screen, it seems a bit small. I do believe I will be able to get my small hands around it, but pressing those shoulder buttons is something I just can't see as being anything but a chore. Again, Nintendo really needs to consider moving them to the back of the system, and making them larger at that.

The GBA-SP looks like a miniature laptop or a cellphone, which is why I said that it looks like less of a toy than the regular GBA.

I can see it as a sort of cell phone, but how is a cel phone mature? Kids all over the place have those now, because apparently parents don't think beepers are enough any more.

Sure, plenty of kids have cell phones. And they also have computers and laptops. But are those things looked upon as being toys for little kids? Of course not. But the GBA is.

I wasn't aware of that, and I guess all the old people in the park playing GBAs didn't hear about that either.

In any case, I don't see why GBA looks so toylike, aside from the bright colors of the GBC before it.

Further more, all game systems ARE in fact toys.

You know a lot of old people that play GBA in the park? I've never seen anyone under 19 play a GBA in public. It's unfortunate, but that's the way things are. And especially since it's a Nintendo system it gets an even worse rep for its "kiddiness". Why is that a surprise to you?

Because all this kiddiness stuff is stuff I only hear online! Yes, I DO see lots of old people playing GBAs in the park, because Oklahomans are too lazy to practice Tai Chi. Under 19 in public? Again, I see lots of kids and teens alike playing GBAs, but often times they just bring them out in public, because once they drag them out, the parents reprimand them for playing games in a public place, sometimes. But in any case, often I see people off the job matching against each other in a GB game of some kind.

Well it's not like that anywhere that I've been to.

Yeesh, it's like my internet connection is flawed and is hooking me to some bizarro universe where everything sucks :D.

It's pretty much like that where I live. Everyone here thinks that Nintendo stuff is for babies and that MS and Sony's consoles are for cool grown-ups.

Where is it you live? The Andromeda Galaxy? Nah, that's not far far away, on a galactic scale anyway... In any case, perhaps it's a regional thing. As I said, my sister got a cube for Christmas, even though she goes out most of the time, and computer games, TV, and books aren't really on the menu for her (though movies are). She also got the one thing that made her happy to get a Cube, a party game, Mario Party 4 to be exact. She will likely continue getting games only for the multiplayer. However, even though Mario Party has one of the most childish themes ever, it's far more popular than the "Gen X" looking Fusion Frenzy (not really mature, but it gives off a feel of false maturity). In any case, her friends are always over playing the smell out of that game (you know, "new game"smell?), and one even bought her a wave bird (everyone loves the wave bird for some reason).

Hmm, what would you name the galaxy resulting from the future melding of Andromeda and our Milky Way? I'd call it Milky Andromeda.

New GBA - MgL - 7th January 2003

The black color isn't even comming out here...

-100 Nintendo

Why the fuck would anyone want Cobalt when they could get Platnium which looks better? I guess the Japanese will be getting cool colors like red ,gold, see through black and orange, and probably the American colors anyway, while Americans get milky white, dandilion yellow, rosey pink, purple and mango. Rolleyes

This isn't just Colorado; it's the same way in L.A., Virginia, and Maryland. Or at least it was when I spent time in those places.

Um, didn't you read it? We DO get Cobolt (which IS a cool color dangit) and silver! Meanwhile, Europe and Japan get the same colors, some of which are quite cool I must say though. I suspect we will in fact get them all. The milky pink stuff was by the way, Japan's color too. Remember, with the first GBA, it was the US and Japan that got the same colors, while Europe got something else.

Oh really? Where were you and who did you befrend there? I find it very weird to think that Oklahoma is some Nintendo Oasis (though we do have a very red neckian pronounciation of Oasis in the form of the "city" of Owasso).

Well it's true. I don't have one single friend in my town that's a really big Nintendo fan. I get into arguments on a fairly regular basis about why the Gamecube is a good system, why the Gamecube isn't just for kids, etc. It's pretty frustrating.

Get into arguments? Are they heated? Do these friends enjoy saying stuff just to make people angry by any chance? You MAY be getting "played".

Nah, nothing really serious. It's just that every time I walk into a video game store in this town someone starts talking about how "Halo is the best game ever! YEAH ROCK ON!!!!" and that the Gamecube is crap, so I have to defend the poor little machine every once in a while, you know what I mean? And then whenever any of my little brother's friends come over to our house to play Halo and talk about how much better it is than Metroid Prime you know I can't let them diss Metroid in front of me, so I have to do something about it.

Ah, you see the thing is I've not run into those situations. I have found ONE fellow in a store who argued against the N64 long ago, but that's once in a long history of those who just play those cool looking games on whatever system. Most of the time, the store people compliment my choice, no matter the system. For instance, here's a recent example. When I pre-ordered Wind Waker, they all seemed to be looking forward to the game just as much as me, including the OOT and Ura disks. Like I said, any store that is pre-ordering that game already has a very large number of pre-orders.

I wish Fort Collins were more like Idaho or wherever it is that you live.

None of the video game clerks here are Nintendo fans, and almost all of them don't know jack shit about video games. You know those EB clerks in all of those Penny-Arcade strips? They're mirror images of the people that work here.

I thought they were advanced charicatures of some people who are like that...

Nope.

Well, I must say that yes, everyone DOES love Halo. Then again, not a single person here loves it for single player. It's all about the multi.

Sure.

New GBA - lazyfatbum - 7th January 2003

MGL IS A STUPID LATINO

GOOOOOOOOOOO NINTENDO!!!!!

I cant wait to get one! Imagine that bad boy opened up on your lap displaying info while you play a GC game! Or on your desk playing MP3's?? Or using Flash Rom to watch a movie??? TV??!?1/1/ well no that would suck. And no darkness problems! The darkness is not eternal! How can you people NOT be excited about this?? I mean, if you dont have the money, dont upgrade; There's virtually no need for it.

Unless of course the system has more enhancements internally, "Only for Gameboy Advance SP" could become a signature on most GB games. Atleast not for a while though.

And now for me to bitch.

Fucking Nintendo using the Gameboy name to make extra money in a market they already own. Jesus, it's like watching a king bathe in wine and eat cherries off the breasts of 16 year old virgins while counting his money... actually that's pretty cool. GOOOOOO NINTENDO!!! Seriously, no analog control, still 2 face buttons and a completely useless Select button that could have been a 3rd face button (Genny?). Oh well, i'll lick my own asshole to have a backlit GBA. But is it backlit, or is it just a lightsource built on the surface of the screen? More reading is required. *reads* *masturbates* *wonders what EAD might do with this new design and peripherals* *masturbates more, faster, it hurts, mmmm!*

Nah, that would be too much of a radical change. GBA software is already selling that crack, so why not release a backlit version of the only thing that makes Nintendo money (almost...)? It'll sell like... even more crack!

I don't think this could fit on my lap. This isn't a frickin' laptop here. It's a smaller version of a GBA, SMALLER.

It would fit in your lap if you were tinkerbell.

Yeah, but she doesn't worry about GBAs. She's busy saving Sora's life just before a giant evil living ship thing with a demi-god kills him.