Tendo City
Portable Playstation! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Portable Playstation! (/showthread.php?tid=663)

Portable Playstation! - OB1 - 13th May 2003

Uh-oh, Nintendo finally has some serious competition coming:

Quote:Thats right, we have all guessed it, but now it is official Sony has announced the PSP, PlayStation Portable. It has not be shown yet but it has been described as 'cute' and using discs half the size of a DVD.

And the discs are to be 1.8 Gb in size, 3x that of a CD-ROM, the PSP will be backlit. Sony has said that it will be the Walkman for the 21st century. It was also feature MPEG-4, a widesceen 16:9 screen, capable of 3D polygons, has a USB port and can connect to the PS2.

Portable Playstation! - Weltall - 13th May 2003

Sounds like it'll be pricey though.

It's gonna be huge, too. Look at how big the screen is compared to the GBA's:

[Image: PSP-GBA_Screens.jpg]

It's definitely not going to be that big (I hope), but those are the real numbers.

Portable Playstation! - A Black Falcon - 13th May 2003

Wow. But with that big a screen and those numbers (1.8gb media? top-line 3d hardware? huge screen? USB? a memory stick port?) I don't think this is hardware in the GBA pricerange...

And its a year and a half away.

I'm sure that the screen won't be that big. It's just a comparison shot of how many pixels comprise the PSP screen.

Portable Playstation! - A Black Falcon - 13th May 2003

Well yeah, but with all those other parts costing a lot the screen size is minor. :)

Portable Playstation! - WhiteFleck - 13th May 2003

Sounds like it could be a sweet rig, though.

Portable Playstation! - Weltall - 13th May 2003

I figure it'll be roughly the size of a portable DVD player, it's about 6x3 inches. The problem is, the players alone at that size are about $350-400. And, the batteries last a whole two hours. And they're not pocket-sized.

Honestly though, I hope Sony finds a way to make this thing competitively priced. As it stands I really can't see this making a dent on the GBA. If they do go with it as it is they'll have to target a different audience.

Portable Playstation! - Smoke - 14th May 2003

[Image: psp01.jpg]
[Image: psp02.jpg]
[Image: psp03.jpg]
[Image: psp04.jpg]
[Image: psp05.jpg]
[Image: psp06.jpg]
[Image: psp07.jpg]
[Image: psp08.jpg]
[Image: psp09.jpg]
[Image: psp10.jpg]
[Image: psp11.jpg]

Even with a rechargeable, this thing's gonna suck batteries like there was no tomorrow.

Portable Playstation! - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2003

Yeah... I see no way this can actually be a portable system... it'll either fail miserably or will aim at some totally different market than Game Boy.

Lynx, Turbografx-portable, Game Gear, and Nomad, of course, were all significantly more powerful yet failed miserably because of lack of games and horrible battery life...

Portable Playstation! - OB1 - 14th May 2003

Well it looks like the screen is going to be comparable to the GBA's screen, which is a good thing. And I'm sure that Sony will finds some way to get good battery life.

I'm excited! If for no other reason than to see Nintendo make beter GBA games.

Portable Playstation! - Weltall - 14th May 2003

Well, if anyone can give Nintendo a run for their money, it'll be Sony, the only company who ever gave Nintendo a run for their money.

Portable Playstation! - Great Rumbler - 14th May 2003

Quote:can connect to the PS2.

It figures.

Well did you expect that Sony would actually do something original? Rofl

It's called the PSP for crying out loud!

Portable Playstation! - Dark Jaguar - 14th May 2003

Ugh, did you expect them to NOT use a system link feature like that just because another company thought of it first? Why on Earth would you get mad just because they are doing this GOOD thing? They didn't think of it first? Big deal! I thought this kind of complaint was left behind after the GCN came out!

:erm2:

Um... who are you talking to, DJ? Because none of us suggested that this is a bad thing. We're simply pointing out that it's completely unoriginal. Sony always copies Nintendo.

Portable Playstation! - Dark Jaguar - 14th May 2003

What I'm trying to say is that you talk about copying like it's a bad thing. Really, would you rather them NOT have that feature? Everyone copies everyone else, tha'ts just how it is.

Portable Playstation! - Great Rumbler - 14th May 2003

Sure, everyone copies from other people, but that doesn't mean we can't point it out and laugh at it!

Tell me about it. Sony innovates the least out of the three.

Portable Playstation! - Weltall - 14th May 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Tell me about it. Sony innovates the least out of the three.

But they just did innovate. In a pretty big way. That is what this thread's about, after all.