Tendo City
Christmas 2012 thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Christmas 2012 thread (/showthread.php?tid=6583)

Christmas 2012 thread - A Black Falcon - 27th December 2012

Oh come on TC, why did no one make a thread (or post at all)? Poor site...

Anyway, I got a few interesting things for christmas, at least (with one more thing coming). I got the PC game "The Secret World" (now that the monthly fees are gone, I need to play Ragnar Tornquist's latest work! First impression is good; graphics are very nice, and the story's interesting.), $165, several books including GRR Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" and three history books (all look interesting for sure), and other stuff like some t-shirts, a frying pan, a suitcase (since my cat peed in one of mine... annoying thing, she's so cute, but that "peeing on things" habit of hers is so awful...), some christmas tree ornaments since I needed more, and some other stuff. Overall, a fine year for Christmas I think. :)

Oh, and i don't know if I mentioned it, but back in November when we were visiting my cousins in Vermont for Thanksgiving, they gave me their old 38" rear projection CRT TV, because they got a new 40-something inch plasma TV, and had no need for the old one anymore and were going to give it away or something, so they told me "please take it". I wasn't sure how to fit it in my place, but managed to find a way through reorganization. At only 89 pounds it's not as heavy as it looks ,but of course, RP-CRT isn't quite as good in terms of picture quality as real CRTs are, and I can see the difference in screen clarity when I compare stuff on it to my other TV, the 19" SD CRT I've been using for years. This one has a bigger screen, but you can tell that it's rear projection and not a straight tube. Of course, a 38" tube would probably have weighed like 400 pounds, not 89... that would be fun to try to move. :p

Still it's pretty cool (and is my first widescreen tv/monitor), but does have a problem: everything except for the center of the screen has yellowed, so most of the picture is somewhat discolored. It's pretty annoying in some things, less noticeable in others; it depends. I imagine it'd be expensive to fix though, so I haven't tried. Maybe someday... But yeah, now I want some Wii component cables... I already have some for PS2 and Xbox, and have hooked them up (progressive scan, widescreen-compatible Xbox games like DOA2U and Burnout 3/Revenge look amazing!) but not Wii. (The TV has component, composite, and S-Video input only, so if I wanted to get a DC VGA box and play it with that, I'd need a VGA to component converter...)

Christmas 2012 thread - Dark Jaguar - 31st December 2012

That sounds simply awful ABF. Chunk it. No seriously, your family didn't want it, you should ditch it. I don't think you could get someone to pay for that at this point. Technology tends to age like fine milk when it comes to prices.

You have a good ol' CRT for older games, that's what I have myself. I'd just sit that aside in some location you can still use it, and buy a proper modern TV set. Make sure the thing has good modern connections, a latency eliminating "game mode", and you should be set. You'll end up with two entertainment centers, one for N64 on back, and one for Gamecube on up, and that's fine.

Anyway, I got ZombiU, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and a fine piece of memory foam. All's well.

Oh yes, what's with the horrid latency this site's had for the past several months? Waiting 30 seconds to a minute for new pages is simply terrible on today's internet.

Christmas 2012 thread - Sacred Jellybean - 31st December 2012

I got a bit of money from my family. And a nice christmas bonus. My company is throwing a holiday party at a hotel in another few weeks. I hope I can behave myself, some of those phone operating girls are pretty damn fine looking.

I'll acquire my own holiday gifts: tablet (probably an iPad), a heavy punching bag for my basement, a nice body job on my car, and... that'll probably do it. The rest goes into savings.

*shakes jinglebells half-heartedly and walks out*

Christmas 2012 thread - Great Rumbler - 1st January 2013

I got a new 39" Sanyo HDTV with full-1080p HD for Christmas. Take that , ABF!

Christmas 2012 thread - A Black Falcon - 2nd January 2013

Get rid of it? And replace it with what, some HDTV I'd have to spend hundreds of dollars for? Yeah, that's not happening, no way. I'm not spending $500 or more or whatever on a TV. I imagine one as big as this (38") would be pricey...

Also, yes, I did keep my two SD CRTs (the 19" one I used to use as my main TV, and the ~25" one that I have tipped up on end for vertical shmups with tate modes) out and usable. Had to rearrange the room to find a setup where all three TVs are usable (considering that with how much bigger this one is, I need to be farther from it), but I managed one, and in some ways it's actually better than how I had it before...

Quote: Oh yes, what's with the horrid latency this site's had for the past several months? Waiting 30 seconds to a minute for new pages is simply terrible on today's internet.
I agree, it's quite annoying, and given our very low traffic, quite hard to understand. Where's etoven when you need him...

Quote: I got a new 39" Sanyo HDTV with full-1080p HD for Christmas. Take that , ABF!
Very nice...

Christmas 2012 thread - Sacred Jellybean - 4th January 2013

No seriously ABF, that sounds horrendous. How do you deal with that kind of picture quality? I get anal enough about my own wide screen TV, how it slices off a bit of the edge of the picture. I really wish I could manually the expand/contract of the image, instead of relying on a few preset dimensions that won't necessarily work with the aspect ratio of the movie I'm watching.

Christmas 2012 thread - Fittisize - 6th January 2013

Merry Christmas Tendo City! My haul this year included a nice lamp. Also, at the stroke of midnight on January 1, I realized that I turn 25 this year and I had somewhat of a mid-life crisis as a result. With the passing of every new year it feels like I've wasted the previous one, even though I know my life is becoming more fulfilling as it progresses.