Tendo City
Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Explain "Adventure Time" to me... (/showthread.php?tid=6571)

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Dark Jaguar - 24th November 2012

I really don't get this show. Misadventures of Flap Jack I got. I loved that show. This? It's so... "regular", very "by the numbers" and ordinary to me.

Everyone everywhere seems to love it though. Could someone here please explain what I'm not getting? Supposedly a game came out that's getting rave reviews not for the gameplay but for "perfectly capturing" the humor of the show. That suggests the show actually has a style of some sort. What am I missing?

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Great Rumbler - 24th November 2012

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r2YyTpXkges" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think you're just mad that the creators of the show managed to mine the contents of your brain for profit but didn't tell you.

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Dark Jaguar - 25th November 2012

I actually expected you to say "I don't get it either".

That weird glasses thing was funny. Of the few episodes I've seen though, it doesn't seem to be that most of the time.

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - lazyfatbum - 11th December 2012

Dark Jaguar is a Fun Vacuum.

It's Spongebob meets Lovecraft in a dream that John K. had (during a horribly gutting breakup) that was interpreted by Genndy Tartakovsky and Friz Freleng while they listened to semi-arranged postmodernism. Also, shut up.

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Sacred Jellybean - 7th April 2013

FINALLY this is on Netflix. I watched the first couple episodes. DJ, you're completely insane. This show is hilarious and original.

I was wary of how the first couple episodes would be, since many shows need a season or two to find their sweet spot (Simpsons was like this). Adventure Time jumps in with both feet foward. The creators seem precisely familiar with the brand of absurd humor they bring to the table, and they excel at its delivery.

A year or so back I heard an interview with creator on the radio. He mentioned that Ren and Stimpy was one of his influences, if it means anything. For me, I think a lot of Ren and Stimpy hasn't aged well, regardless of its achievement as a cartoon. Adventure Time, on the other hand, has me laughing out loud, and I'd say it's earned its hype.

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Dark Jaguar - 7th April 2013

Ren and Stimpy ran a bit longer than it should have when it lost half the talent at some point. Now, a few of those later episodes are still hilarious, but the big ones are from the first few seasons. I have a hard time saying they didn't age well considering there's really not much if any pop culture humor on the show. The nature show episode in particular is just plain hilarious, and well, I think the "happy helmet" episode is probably the greatest single cartoon ever made.

Hmm, let me put it this way. Can you recommend an episode that you would say epitomizes Adventure Time to me? I want to stop being in the middle of some vampire teenager hitting on a little boy and asking "who could possibly think that was a good idea?".

Explain "Adventure Time" to me... - Sacred Jellybean - 7th April 2013

Happy Helmets is one of the best Ren & Stimpy episodes, as is Space Madness and Stimpy's Cartoon, but John K, while very knowledgable and tasteful, isn't what I'd call a talented cartoonist. When he was given full creative control in the Ren & Stimpy Adult Cartoon show, it was an abysmal experience to sit through. Terrible, unfunny humor that you'd cast off the moment you stepped into your college freshman dormitory. One awful joke after another, stretched to minutes past its welcome.

Ren & Stimpy had moments where it was the perfect balance between John K's weird sense of humor and aesthetic, while simultaneously toning him down. However, taken as a whole, even selecting a random episode of Ren & Stimpy doesn't do a lot for me.

Quote:I have a hard time saying they didn't age well considering there's really not much if any pop culture humor on the show.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, as pop culture isn't a factor here. I only meant that the same jokes / tempo of the show are not as appealing to me now as they were when I was a kid.

As for giving you one episode that epitomizes the humor of Adventure Time, I've only seen the first two episodes. Whether you get the humor or not can be pretty much decided by watching a few minutes of either of them. No big deal if you don't get it. I can't get into The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, or any number of popular TV shows that people clamor about.