Tendo City
So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... (/showthread.php?tid=6536)

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - A Black Falcon - 2nd September 2012

There are two things in particular that need to be said about the Republican convention.

First, that whole "you did build that" theme is based on an intentional lie. Obama wasn't saying that people didn't build their own businesses; the "you didn't build that" was referring to the roads, bridges, and schools he talked about in the previous sentence that helped them get to the point where they reached, not to the businesses themselves of course. But the Republicans pounced on it and all repeated the lie that Obama meant something he didn't, over and over and over. It was quite stupid. Sure, occasionally one actually mentioned something slightly less of a lie (about how they think that the government has absolutely no role in private business), but that is ridiculous too of course... even Republicans take federal bailouts when they need them, for instance. :)

On that note, here's a great article about the bailout that saved one of Mitt's Bain companies back in the early '90s. It might be just another example of his hypocrisy and willingness to switch positions on anything in order to get elected, but it's a good one! http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-federal-bailout-that-saved-mitt-romney-20120829#ixzz255U020Pn

Second, Paul Ryan has the most conservative voting record of any Vice President in a very long time. Yes, as far as voting records go, he's to the right of Dick Cheney. And he's got a great tax plan which lowers taxes on the rich while effectively raising them on poorer people, too. Just what we need to get out of this recession!

On the positive side TV viewing numbers were quite moderate, so Romney's not getting much of a polling bounce from the week. :) Oh, and yes, I did watch some bits of it here and there. I could only tolerate their constant lies for so long at a time, but I had to watch some at least for sure.

On another note, meet the Republican Senate candidate from Pennsylvania. He's going to do great with women after saying things like these... http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/31/1125210/-Pennsylvania-Senate-candidate-Tom-Smith-courting-the-lady-vote#comments

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Great Rumbler - 2nd September 2012

The RNC did have Clint Eastwood admonishing an empty chair, though.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - alien space marine - 3rd September 2012

Great Rumbler Wrote:The RNC did have Clint Eastwood admonishing an empty chair, though.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I'll say this about you Yanks, Your politics is quite entertaining

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Dark Jaguar - 3rd September 2012

Clint Eastwood's incomplete thoughts were just bizarre. He never quite finished whatever points he was making to give room for the chair to speak.

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are must-sees this week. They kinda tore apart just how ridiculous this entire thing was. Clint Eastwood aside, the sheer level of audacious lies were stunning.

Tune in next week for the Democrat's mealy mouthed conciliatory pandering to a voting block that will NEVER be won over by them.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - A Black Falcon - 3rd September 2012

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Dark Jaguar - 3rd September 2012

... Ya know the thing is, that comic is just not that funny. It doesn't matter that I agree with them, they have terrible set up and delivery and some of their comparisons are rather large stretches of the imagination to make the joke work.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - A Black Falcon - 4th September 2012

Really? I think This Modern World is great... often pretty funny stuff. :)

alien space marine Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I'll say this about you Yanks, Your politics is quite entertaining

This is true, they are.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Geno - 7th September 2012

Barbara Bush called this race the worst campaign she's ever seen. If nothing else, it's been the most hilarious campaign ever. From Herman Cain quoting "the Pokeymon movie" to Clint Eastwood arguing with an empty chair, the GOP has done everything within its power to secure Barack Obama's reelection. What a laughable clusterfuck of a party. Lincoln is spinning in his grave right now.

You know, Ron Paul might've had a shot at the presidency if he had gotten as much media coverage as the other candidates, but I guess he wasn't stupid enough to win mass appeal, or ridiculous enough to garner ratings for the news media.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - A Black Falcon - 9th September 2012

Lincoln probably started spinning in his grave when the Republicans became the party of the racist South... but yeah, it has been a pretty ridiculous year from them, again. Unfortunately, history shows that that doesn't mean that they can't win...

As for Ron Paul, his problem is that he won't moderate his views, of course, and his extremely strong opinions are not ones that are going to win a national election, even in a primary. He's lined up well with the Republican base on some issues, but not on enough to have a serious chance.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Geno - 9th September 2012

True, one of the major problems in Congress right now is the Tea Partiers' refusal to compromise, and so when the voters see an equally stubborn presidential candidate, they're not likely to vote for him. (Our current Congress has the lowest approval rating on record in American history.) Mitt Romney has been cited as being a flip-flopper, but that's exactly what helped him to win his party's nomination. He's painting himself as a staunch conservative now, but when he was governor of Massachusetts, he was every bit as liberal as Ted Kennedy (well, not quite, but almost... for a Republican, anyway; he did support the War in Iraq, so he wasn't liberal on every issue, mostly just healthcare).

And yes, unfortunately, being ridiculously stupid isn't enough to keep these neo-cons out of public offices. As long as there are masses of stupid voters (particularly here in the racist south), the unabashed ignorance, bigotry, and backwards thinking of the far right will be exalted rather than condemned as it should be. The fact that Sarah Palin is still highly beloved around these parts (or the fact that she was at all) is very disheartening to me. I need to move somewhere more moderate, perhaps one of the swing states in the midwest.

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2012

Geno Wrote:True, one of the major problems in Congress right now is the Tea Partiers' refusal to compromise, and so when the voters see an equally stubborn presidential candidate, they're not likely to vote for him. (Our current Congress has the lowest approval rating on record in American history.) Mitt Romney has been cited as being a flip-flopper, but that's exactly what helped him to win his party's nomination. He's painting himself as a staunch conservative now, but when he was governor of Massachusetts, he was every bit as liberal as Ted Kennedy (well, not quite, but almost... for a Republican, anyway; he did support the War in Iraq, so he wasn't liberal on every issue, mostly just healthcare).
On the one hand people hate congress for being so divided, but on the other hand it's those same people who elected congress in the first place, so the people's record on partisanship is much more divided than the "we hate congress" polls would suggest. People hate that congress isn't controlled by their side, but the problem is that the two sides are so unified in disliking the policies suggested by the other that there's not much that can be done right not except brace for more divisiveness and failure to get much of anything done.

Despite the above though, a strong partisan won't win for president unless they can cover it up with SOMETHING, like Reagan unfortunately could. Ron Paul certainly doesn't have that. As for Mitt Romney though, that was great when he called himself a "severe conservative"... :lol

Quote:And yes, unfortunately, being ridiculously stupid isn't enough to keep these neo-cons out of public offices. As long as there are masses of stupid voters (particularly here in the racist south), the unabashed ignorance, bigotry, and backwards thinking of the far right will be exalted rather than condemned as it should be. The fact that Sarah Palin is still highly beloved around these parts (or the fact that she was at all) is very disheartening to me. I need to move somewhere more moderate, perhaps one of the swing states in the midwest.
Still in Alabama, huh? It probably would be good for your sanity if you were somewhere else...

So the Republican convention's over, and the Democratic one's next week... - Geno - 14th September 2012

Yes, I am still here. I feel my sanity slipping more and more as time goes on. I don't know if people around here are getting stupider or if I'm just becoming less tolerant of it. I've riled up quite a few people on Facebook by having the audacity to fact check the chain emails they post about Obama and his old people killing agenda.