Tendo City
Games Bought Thread 3 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Games Bought Thread 3 (/showthread.php?tid=6388)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2016

So, I have been interested for some time in getting this system, but despite an attempt late last year to get one, it wasn't working out (the system failed almost immediately). I got some games for it last Nov./Dec., though (and I don't think I mentioned this here because I was waiting until I had a working system), but a good 20-something of the games below I already had.

The rest, though, plus the system... that I got a day or two ago, locally. It was kind of expensive at $215 for a bundle with the system, a bunch of loose games, and accessories, but for what I got I think it was worth the money. I saw the system, and knew I had to get it. It's worked fine so far, so I think it's safe to list now. I wasn't looking to spend this much now, but I have wanted a working 3DO quite a bit and was looking at some on ebay, and I'd rather get something local where I could actually return it if it breaks, know it wasn't in transit where it could also fail, etc.

So yeah, I got a 3DO. First I'll list the games I already had for the system:

These games are all from ebay, bought at various times last year.

Wacky Races (J) - Got in May 2014, from ebay. It's complete. I forget the price, it was cheap.
Suchie Pai Special (J) - Got in April 2014, from ebay. Complete. Also cheap.
Rush 'n' Fire 'Megadas' (J) (Totsugeki Kikan (Karakuri) Megadasu!!) - Got May 2015, complete, for $3 plus shipping.
Belzerion (J) - Got December 2015, complete, for $8 plus shipping.
Blue Chicago Blues (J) - Got December 2015, complete, for $9 plus shipping.
Samurai Shodown - Got November 2015, complete, for $15.

These 9 games were a lot I got for $24 in Nov. 2015:
--
Alone in the Dark [1994] - Disc in generic case
Battle Chess - Disc in generic case
Soccer Kid - Disc and Manual in generic case (probably the jewelcase)
Shockwave - Disc in generic case
Shanghai: Triple Threat - disc in generic case plus manual
Blade Force - disc in generic case
FIFA International Soccer - disc in generic case plus manual
Out of This World - disc in generic case
Wicked 18 - disc and manual in generic case

These 5 games were another ebay lot from November 2015, $33.50 (including shipping) for the five.
--
Braindead-13 - discs only
Super Wing Commander - complete
Gunslinger Collection - discs only - this includes Mad Dog McCree, Mad Dog II: The Lost Gold, and The Last Bounty Hunter.
Zhadnost: The People's Party - jewelcase only (disc+manual in jewelcase)
Space Ace - box+manual, no game

And lastly, these 8 games were the last ebay lot, 8 games for $51.
--
Family Feud - complete
Shadow: War of Succession - disc in generic case
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Slayer - disc in generic case
Rise of the Robots - jewelcase only (disc+manual in case)
Crime Patrol - disc in generic case
Demolition Man - complete
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller - complete

And these 44 games and various other software products came with the system I bought locally. $215 for the system, all of these games, 3 Panasonic controllers (one complete in box), a 3DO Mouse, and a CH Flightstick Pro joystick for the 3DO. Those last two accessories really sold me on the bundle, I've really wanted the joystick! Seven of the games are doubles of games I already had, but most are new. All are, unfortunately, disc only, in a CD disc holder.
--
Doubles of games I already had: Soccer Kid, Wicked 18, Shockwave, Family Feud, Rise of the Robots, Super Wing Commander, Shanghai: Triple Threat.
--
New titles (all disc only):
--
Phoenix 3
Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge
Jammit
Flying Nightmares
Gex
Return Fire
Shockwave: Operation Jumpgate
Shockwave 2: Beyond the Gate
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return
Burning Soldier
Novastorm
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
Alone In The Dark 2
The San Diego Zoo Presents... The Animals! A True Multimedia Experience
20th Century Video Almanac
Panasonic Sampler CD
Starblade
3D Atlas
The Incredible Machine
Cyberia
True Golf Classics: Waialae Country Club
The 3DO Interactive Sampler 4
Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed
World Cup Golf: Hyatt Dorado Beach
Myst
Return Fire: Maps o' Death [Expansion]
Club 3DO: Station Invasion
3DO Buffet
True Golf Classics: Pebble Beach Golf
BattleSport
Olympic Soccer
The Foes of Ali
Carrier: Fortress at Sea
PGA Tour '96

For hardware, I have:
- 3DO FZ-1 (US model) - This is the one I just got a few days ago, in the $215 bundle. It works fine.
- 3DO FZ-1 (JP model) - Nonworking system I got last year for a lot less than the US one (like, $50 or something). I'll get that laser replaced sometime... but I thought the US system would be worth it anyway, despite costing more than a new laser, because while most games are region-free, some only work on either a US or Japanese system, so to play all the games you need both -- there's no region-unlocker disc or accessory or anything. Also, this is easier than replacing a laser, something I'm not great at. But I'd probably have passed if that was the ONLY reason, I won't pay twice as much just for convenience, but for compatibility? Okay.

- 1 3DO FZ-EM256 backup memory module. This Japan-only accessory is a save-backup unit,a 256KB memory card, effectively, 8x the size of the system internal save RAM. It's a somewhat large plug-in box which attaches to an accessory port on the rear of the system. I got this back in January 2014 for about $30, because I knew I'd want to have one once I got the system -- the 32KB of internal memory is not much and fills up fast, and I like to keep my save files, of course! It's annoying that this was never released in the US and thus costs a bit more than I'd like, but it's great to have. Games can't save to it, I don't think, or at least most can't. Instead you have to copy files back and forth, and you can only do that with special software I had to burn to a CD-R, since mine didn't come with the disc; the usual 3DO backup-manager software can only see the internal memory. (The FZ-1 has no built-in memory manager, you see, so you needed a disc or game with built-in manager to delete files on the system. I think the FZ-10 has a built-in manager, but I don't have one of those.) It also has a battery in it to save the memory, as does the 3DO itself, so I'm sure both will die at some point and need replacing. Fortunately currently both still hold a save. Oh -- that memory manager for the EM256, despite being Japanese, displays English text on a US system, or Japanese text in a Japanese system. That's nice.

(For controllers, note that there is only one controller port on 3DO systems, but you do not need a multitap for the 3DO; instead, controllers have a controller port on the controller, so you daisy-chain them all together. The mouse and Flightstick do not have controller ports, so they can only be the only, or last, controller, but all of the other controllers have a controller port.)

- 4 Panasonic-brand 3DO controllers, all the second model with fixed diagonals. One controller is complete in box, the other three are loose. This is the controller with a headphone jack and volume wheel on the controller. The controller isn't the best, but it's reasonably comfortable and well designed. I have four because one came with the first system, and three with this second one.

- 1 Logitech-brand 3DO controller I got back in 2013, locally, for $3. It works, but I like the Panasonic controller better.

- 1 Capcom 6-button fighter pad. This thing has a very weird angled design, but it does work. It's pretty much just for Super SFII Turbo, which I don't have yet but will get. Sadly Samurai Shodown isn't compatible, you have to switch between weapon and hand attacks with a button. Blah. It was $18, and I got this in May 2015.

- 1 CH Flightstick Pro for 3DO. This is the 3DO's analog joystick, which works with a dozen or so games, mostly vehicular games and space-combat titles, some of which I have. It's nice, but is an analog stick, not digital, so it's got those annoying trim-pot wheels you need to regularly adjust. It works, though, and that's great, I really like analog controllers. Came with the system bundle I recently got.

- 1 3DO Mouse. This is a 3-button ball mouse. Works with maybe as many games as the flightstick, mostly light-gun shooters and adventure games. Also came with the system bundle.

So yeah, basically the only 3DO accessory I don't have is the elusive GAMEGUN, the 3DO's lightgun. Maybe someday. With this massive number of games included with the system I don't need more games soon, but there are a few I want. Most notably, I'll need to get Star Fighter sooner rather than later; other stuff can wait, but not that one. Star Fighter is awesome and has always been my most-wanted 3DO game, and the #1 reason I wanted the 3DO Flightstick Pro, as well.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 21st March 2016

Haven't gotten much in these last few weeks; I've been busy with several things, and that was a LOT of 3do games to get all at once. I still haven't tried them all, though I am working on it. It's a fun system, I like having it. It has good and bad points for sure, but it's definitely interesting and has some good games. But I'll say more about the 3DO another time... I will say, though, that I'd have played even more 3DO if I didn't have to finish this Genesis Game Opinion Summaries list, that takes up some time as well of course. I like the Genesis a lot though, so that's fine (been playing Viewpoint in the last few days, it's such a fantastic game!), it just takes time away from the new thing.

Anyway... stuff I got these last few weeks:

3DO
--
Doom - $12, disc only - Yes, I got the infamously bad 3DO version of Doom. The framerate is terrible, but if you can get past that it actually plays pretty well, and the soundtrack is quite good (and 3DO exclusive). I wouldn't have gotten this online so soon, but I couldn't resist seeing it in person...

Microcosm - $8, disc only - Okay rail shooter from Psygnosis. This game plays a lot like Novastorm, but set inside a human body instead of in space. This game has password save, which is great (Novastorm has no saving on any platform), but the bosses are obnoxiously hard, even harder than anything in Novastorm. So yeah, a mixed bag here.

Flashback - $10, disc only - The maybe best version of this popular '90s platform-action game. I know this game is popular, but I've never bought it for any other systems because I've never loved this Prince of Persia-derived genre of platformers... but on the 3DO, a system which has over 300 games but somehow has only SIX platformers... yeah, I'll pick it up, there aren't exactly may options. Who knows, maybe it'll be fun, and at least if I'm going to have one version of this, it's the best one.

PSP
--
LocoRoco - $4, complete - Pretty fun platformer-ish game where you rotate the stage with the shoulder buttons to roll your super-cute creatures around towards the goal, picking stuff up along the way. I'd played the demo of this game before, but not the full game, so I picked it up for sure when I saw it! They also had (and maybe still have?) Patapon, but that game looks like a rhythm game, pretty much my least favorite kind of thing, so I didn't get it.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2016

I forgot that when I got those three 3DO games listed above, I also got this with them for free with the purchase:

N64
--
NASCAR '99 (cart only) - free with other purchases, would have been like $2

199 N64 games now! Only one more to go to 200...

Also, Games with Gold continues...

Xbox 360 - "Free" from Games with Gold
--
Gears of War 2 - I have this already on disc, but if they're offering this I'll take it.
Supreme Commander 2 - I cannot imagine even this simplified RTS working well on console, but I haven't tried it yet so who knows.
Borderlands - This is the current one. I got the second game not long ago and it seems good, so yeah, I'd like to try the first game too.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 24th March 2016

So maybe inspired by TC being back, I went to the Goodwill with a nice games section and got some interesting stuff, most notably four PC strategy games.

Game Gear
--
Chessmaster - $2, cart only
Ecco the Dolphin - $2, cart in plastic cover - Yes, I have this for Sega CD, but it could be interesting to compare to the downgraded handheld version.

Playstation
--
Eliminator - $2, complete - futuristic vehicular (ground-based) combat game from Psygnosis. We'll see.

PS2
--
Sled Storm - $5, complete - Different from the PS1 game. That one seemed to be more popular, but hopefully this is good too.

PC
--
Mythical Warriors - $1, jewelcase in small cardboard box (complete I presume) - This is an RTS from 2001 I've never heard of.
Universe at War - $2, complete - Another RTS, this one from the developers of Star Wars: Empire at War.
Medieval Conquest - $1, complete - A game very much like those better-known real-time fantasy simulation games where you manage heroes and build an economy, The Settlers-style, instead of actually controlling armies.
Age of Empires III Gold Edition - $10, complete - This includes the base game plus its first expansion. I got a very cheap digital copy of AoE III, the base game only, years ago, but it was locked to games for Windows Live only, and that service doesn't exist anymore, so if I want to play the game again I needed it somewhere else. This should do the trick! And it's got the first expansion, too. Not the cheapest price, but it is probably decent for what you get, and it is nice to have physical PC games.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 30th March 2016

3DO
--
Rebel Assault - $8, disc in generic case - Sure, the game is objectively probably not great, but as the PC version of this game was one of my first CD games ever, so I've always kind of liked it. I expect this version to be pretty much the same as the PC version, and thus better than the downgraded Sega CD release.

Genesis
--
Space Invaders '91 - cart only, $11. I just played this a bit, it's good. The game seems to be easier than you'd expect, but it's classic Space Invaders fun, with some added features as usual in Space Invaders games after the '80s. This one is definitely similar to the PC Engine (Turbografx) Space Invaders game which preceded it, but you have more hits per life, which makes it maybe a bit easier. So yeah, good but not great so far, I like it.

DS
--
Final Fantasy III - $11, complete - Meh, why not... this is one of the few main-series FF games I don't own any version of (VIII, LR, and the two online games are the others), and it is supposed to have a job system like V and X-2, which are two of the better FF games, so... sure, why not get it.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 5th April 2016

So this ended today, but I got it yesterday before the end of the bundle.

PC - Humble Sega Strategy Bundle - backed at $12 tier to get all games. Note though that the bundle uses big combo keys, so you cannot just give away one or two if you have the game already. That is quite unfortunate, I already had some of the games in the bundle. I imagine they did it for exactly that reason, but it is too bad.
--
Company of Heroes 2: Master Collection - Didn't have this one, could be good.
Eastside Hockey Manager - Sports management games never interested me enough to try one, and hockey? Yeah, won't be playing this.
Rome: Total War Complete + Alexander second expansion - I already had the base game plus its first expansion, but not the second Alexander expansion this also included. I got this for that.
Sega Genesis & Megadrive Classics - Strategy - This includes the two Shining Force games, Gain Ground, and Columns. I have all of those on other formats, and most on actual carts too.
Total War: Atilla - One of the more recent Total War titles, about Atilla the Hun.
Valkyria Chronicles - Popular title, but I've never been all that interested... but I guess I have it now.
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Master Collection - Base game plus its three expansions. I already had the base game, but not any of the expansions, so I got that for those.
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II plus expansions and DLC - Didn't have this one. The first game is a more traditional RTS, but this one focuses on squad-level stuff, more like Company of Heroes. I like the traditional style more.
Shogun 2: Total War: Fall of the Samurai expansion - I have Shogun 2 and its early DLC, but not this final expansion. I've been wanting it, so this is one of the major reasons I got this bundle.

The bundle also included several things I entirely have, so because of the combined keys they count for nothing: Medieval 2: Total War Complete and Company of Heroes Complete. There's also a coupon I won't use for Football Manager 2016.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2016

Xbox 360
--
Dynasty Warriors 6 - $5, complete

PSP - these three were $10 for the three.
--
Frantix - disc in case - okay-looking topdown puzzle game, looks like it could be fun. Hadn't really heard of this one before.
Puzzle Guzzle - complete - Very tricky block-dropping puzzle game where you have to make diamonds on a square grid. I've played the demo and have wanted to play more, so maybe a nice find here, even if this kind of puzzle game can be tough...
Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip - complete. I got a copy of this several years ago and it was pretty good, but unfortunately the disc stopped working some time back. I've wanted to get a replacement, but didn't find one until now. I'm very happy to have found this though, I've wanted to play this game more.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2016

I got these because they were there and quite interesting, even though I don't currently have a 5 1/4" floppy drive. Now I have to get one even more than before (because of my old 5 1/4" disks from the early '90s that I'd love to check again)...

PC (all 5 1/4" floppy disk games from the '80s)
--
James Clavell's Shogun - $15, complete - This game looks like it's mostly an adventure game, but also partially an action game and partially a simulation. Or something. This game sells for this much on ebay. One disk. Of these games though, this has a VERY thin manual, weak stuff compared to the others. It has CGA and EGA support. - game not listed on IGN

The Ancient Art of War - $15, complete. This game was a highly-regarded title when it released and it's mostly a strategy game, so it's the one of these I'm the most interested in playing. One disk. Comes with a big thick manual and a nice registration card, plus an add for Prodigy. :p This is a decent price for the game, ebay seems to be slightly higher. Graphics are CGA only on PC... ick.

Thomas M. Disch's Amnesia - $15, complete. This is a text adventure game from EA. It's in their very cool 'record album-like' boxes they used in the mid '80s. I'd never owned one of these before.. neat. Two disk game, with manual and a map of New York you'll surely need. This looks ambitious for a text adventure. And if it's a modern-day mystery, why get a writer advertised on the box as a sci-fi writer? Huh. This sells on ebay for more than I paid, I don't see complete copies there for less than $30.

The President is Missing - $5, complete - This is an adventure game from Cosmi. It come with a half-hour audio cassette with some background info and stuff. Unlike the above, this game does have graphics. It's got CGA and EGA support, and is a two disk game. And it looks like this sells online for well over what I paid, too. - game not listed on IGN

Playstation 1
--
Steel Harbinger - complete. This would have been $10, too much for this game, but it was free with the other purchases and this game looks amusing, so I picked it up. It's a top-ish-view run & gun-styled shooter.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 11th April 2016

I got a pair of Atari 2600 paddle controllers for $5. I haven't tested them, but it's a pretty good deal, and they're not hard to fix if they're wobbling around. I've wanted a second pair ever since I got the system, for the few 3-4 player games, so it's nice to have this.

Also, something I pre-purchased last summer finally arrived today...

PSP
--
Summon Night 5 -This is Gaijinworks' latest, and something which FINALLY released after the usual very long Victor Ireland delays. I have quite a few of the other Summon Night games, in both Japanese and English, ever since I first got interested in the series back on the GBA thanks to Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, and it's fantastic to finally see one of the main-series tactical strategy games release in English!

Plus, the production values of the packaging are great -- the outer shipping box is in full color printed with some art from the game, and it comes with a full CD soundtrack (38 tracks, not some 5-track sampler like those 3DS bonus CDs Atlus includes) in a separate jewelcase. There's also a nice double-sided poster included in the case which I'll have to put up... but which side? I'm not sure, both are nice. This cost $46 including shipping, but I paid that back in August 2015 so I didn't pay anything more now, and it is very likely that it will hold its value as the physical copies of Summon Night 5 are being made in very limited quantities, only for those who preordered, so it was probably worth it.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 15th April 2016

Sega CD
--
Wonder Dog - complete (cardboard box title), $15. This is a very early SCD release, a platformer from Core Design. It's an Amiga port with CD audio and an animated intro added, though I believe this actually released before the Amiga version. Regardless, oddly, unlike most such titles on the SCD, this one doesn't have a Genesis cart release; it's SCD only. It's a game I have kind of wanted and is a nice find, particularly complete with the box and manual. This is only my third cardboard-box SCD title.

Genesis
--
The Aquatic Games starring James Pond - complete, $5 - This olympic sports-style game may not be great, but it is the last of the four console James Pond games that generation, so I got it to have all of them.

Game Gear
--
GP Rider - cart in plastic protector, $2 - Good behind-the-car racing game from Sega. Looks nice and plays well.
Woody Pop - $6, cart only - Decent breakout/arkanoid-style game from Sega. Seems fun. The Japan-exclusive Master System version has a paddle controller, but this works okay with the GG.

Game Boy / GB Color Dual Mode
--
Yar's Revenge - $4, cart only - Modern port/sequel to the Atari classic, with the original plus new levels.

Nintendo 64
--
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest - $5, cart only - I've wanted this one, to see Nintendo's final Griffey baseball game... I have a couple of N64 baseball games, and Acclaim's might be best, but I have wanted to compare that to this one.
Asteroids Hyper 64 - $7, cart only - This is supposed to be a downgraded port of the PS1 Asteroids remake, but still I've always wanted it for the N64 anyway because... well, I lov ethe N64! Plus, Asteroids is fun.

With this I now have 200 N64 games. I've wanted to get to 200 for a while, so it's great to finally reach that mark!

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2016

Game Boy
--
Boggle Plus - complete in box, $6 - This is a pretty solid early '90s GB version of the board game Boggle, the word game where you list as many words as you can from a randomized 4x4 or 5x5 (or now 6x6, though that's not in this game). I've never cared for Scrabble, people get way too serious about that game, but Boggle is fun stuff for a few rounds here and there, and this GB version's good. It has Boggle, Big Boggle, and three other word games, anagrams, categories (find words in a category), and one where you try to clear the board of tiles by making words. It's all well done, and you do have eight computer opponents of various difficulties to play against. There is no lasting single player mode, but you wouldn't expect that here. The game has one particularly cool feature, too -- if you input a word not in the ~35,000 word dictionary, after the match you can choose to allow that word or not. Now, this allows for easy cheating of course, but as there is no campaign here to play through, the only person you're cheating by doing that is yourself. It's a great feature because there are lots of words not in this dictionary, and this allows for you to use them if you want.

Also, for $5 I got the Nintendo strategy guide for Golden Sun: The Lost Age for GBA. I stopped playing that game somewhere in the middle back in the mid '00s, but maybe this will help? I think I may be hopelessly lost somewhere far away from whereever I was supposed to go next (no clue where that was now, it's been too long), but a guide should be helpful. It's a very nice guide too, with full maps for everything, djinn and inventory item lists, etc.

Also, I got this today: Humble Friends of Nintendo Bundle. I only got the $1 tier so far because the beat-the-average games didn't seem worth it for the almost $10 it currently is at, particularly since I have Freedom Planet already for PC. And as for the top tier, $13, I have Darksiders 2 for PC, and Street Fighter Iv and Ultra SFIV for PC, so getting the base version only for 3DS doesn't seem worth it. And if I ever did get it, it would be physical, not digital... but I probably won't. It's too bad no better versions of SFIV got 3DS releases. But there are still some games yet to be added to the beat-the-average tier, so if they're good I could upgrade to that, we'll see.

Nintendo 3DS eShop (DD) - Humble Friends of Nintendo Bundle - $1 tier, for the basic three games.
--
Retro City Rampage DX - 3DS (who know if I'll like this, but hey, as a free-ish bonus with something else I wanted, sure I'll try the game!
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 3DS & Wii U (the third game in this popular platformer series I have wanted to play)
Affordable Space Adventures - Wii U (looks interesting)

And lastly for this update, Xbox Live X360 Games with Gold titles for April. My XBL Gold subscription ran out recently, but I do have all the games through the current one. I'm not sure yet when I'll resubscribe, I rarely play online on the 360 (I do sometimes, but not all that often) so not having that for a while would be fine, and the May GwG games are Grid 2 and Peggle... not sure if those are worth paying for. Simmish racers like Grid or Dirt have never interested me, and I have Peggle for PC. But anyway, I do have these.
--
X360 XBLA - 'free' from Games with Gold subscription
--
Dead Space - A game I already have for PC, but I'll take it since I have the subscription.
Saint's Row IV - I didn't have this one, but it's supposed to be pretty entertaining for a third-person open-world game -- you have superpowers, and all that. The problem is this isn't a genre I've ever cared for. Still, sure, I'll try it eventually.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 1st May 2016

Got a bunch of digital-download stuff today from a few sales.

PC - Steam sale - note that this sale ends later today.
--
Out There Somewhere - $0.50 - not listed on IGN
Shantae: Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut - $5
Magical Battle Festa - $3
Momodora III - $2 - not listed on IGN
Polarity - $0.21
Camera Obscura -$0.29 - not listed on IGN
Akiba's Trip - $15
Umihara Kawase Trilogy - $15

... So yeah, seven 2d or 2.5d platformers or puzzle-platformers, a 3d puzzle-platformer, and two third-person action games. Not much variety there, but some interesting games, and some definitely good ones, such as Shantae (2) and the Umihara Kawase games.

Nintendo 3DS eShop (digital download)
--
Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX - $5 - light-gun-ish shooter but with different controls here on the 3DS of course (it was first a WiiWare game)
Fairune - $1 - mobile port, this is an Ys-style action-RPG.
Legend of the Dark Witch - $1 - 2d platformer. I've played the demo, it's decent fun. Worth a dollar anyway, though maybe not full price.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2016

NES
--
Thundercade - $5, cart only - okay-looking shmup where you play as a motorcycle.

Flying Dragon - $5, cart only - Platform-action game maybe related to those N64 fighting games of Hudson's.

Genesis
--
Crue Ball - $8, cart only - pinball game from EA

Playstation
--
Defcon 5 - $12, complete longbox title - FPS/adventure thing? Could be interesting, and I like longboxes.

Xbox
--
The Simpsons: Road Rage - $4, complete - Simpsons take on Crazy Taxi.

PC
--
Micro League Baseball (with 1986 MLB Player/Team addon disk with manual; this was probably mail-ordered by the original owner and doesn't have its own box I think) - free with other purchases (would have been $5), complete (5.25" floppy disk game) - Yes, another 5 1/4" game, this one the original classic baseball management simulator, Micro League Baseball. This was a quite good deal even at $5, never mind free-with-purchases... - not listed on IGN (only the Apple II version is)

Nemesis of the Roman Empire - $2, jewelcase only release - simple RTS.

Also, for free with some of the other purchases (this stuff came from two stores), I got a damaged Virtual Boy stand. It's cracked, like all of the things seem to be, so it'll need superglue and tape to hold together, but it cost nothing, so I'll take it! I've never had a stand for the VB, just used it while lying down and such. And after trying it, that method is probably better and more comfortable, but still this is very nice to have.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2016

PS1
--
Suikoden - $2, disc only - Yes, really! This is worth over $10 even for a loose disc, so this was a great find.

Xbox
--
Catwoman - $2, disc only

Xbox 360
--
Halo Wars - $2, disc only - Always wanted to try this one, Ensemble's last game and the rare console-only RTS...

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 19th May 2016

SNES
--
Stargate - cart with box and map (but no manual), $12.50 - This is a decent-to-good platform-action game I've wanted for some time, for either SNES or Genesis. First time I've seen it in quite a while, so I picked it up.

Also for $1 each, I got manuals for F-Zero and Big Sky Trooper for SNES. F-Zero is an incredible game and has a nice manual, and Big Sky Trooper has some useful info in its manual, such as maps and such.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 23rd May 2016

Stargate's good. Fun action-platformer. It was worth getting for sure.

PC DD - GOG sale
--
Warlords Battlecry III - $2 - The last of the Warlords RTSes. I'd rather play these in order, as I have the first game but not the second one, but this is on sale and not #2, so.. I got this one. Decent to good series.

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - $0.60 - Action/strategy title I've had some interest in ever since it was released, but never did actually get. Well, I finally got it, so I hope it's good.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 26th May 2016

PC
--
Anno 1701 - complete (DVD case release), $5 - Another game in this pretty good Settlers-style series. I have the Nintendo DS version of this, Dawn of Discovery, but it's more complex on the PC.

Tiny Token Empires - $2, complete (DVD case with sleeve) - Match-3 puzzle game with a strategy map component. It was cheap and that sounds like an interesting combination, so I got it.

Playstation
--
JetMoto 3 - $3, complete - The last game in this futuristic hover-racing series. This one is by 989 and not SingleTrac so it's probably even worse than the first two, but... I should give it a try, and I have all three of them now.

Wii
--
Rubik's World - $4, complete - Okay-looking puzzle minigame collection.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 27th May 2016

Xbox 360
--
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend - $9, complete - Improved version of this flashy 2d fighter. I have both PSP versions of Blazblue, but only the first one for 360, Calamity Trigger, and this has more stuff than the second PSP game. There is also a PC version of this on Steam, but physical media is nice...

Wii
--
Skylanders: Trap Team - $5, disc in case (no manual, if there was one) - The fourth Skylanders game. The price of this one is the lowest I've seen, so I picked it up. This is a good series, despite the need to buy figures... fun topdown-style action-RPG games. But on that note, for $2 I got a water trap for this game, though I don't have a Trapper figure yet so I imagine I won't be able to play this until I get one. I didn't see any today for cheap-ish.

Nintendo 3DS
--
Codename S.T.E.A.M. - $10, new - I know this isn't supposed to be the best game, but as a big strategy game fan I had to get it eventually. Well, the price sure has come down, so why not? I'll probably like it. And I do have a New 3DS so I can take advantage of its sped-up enemy turns.

SpyHunter - $5, card only - When I saw this I had to get it, because I like the franchise a lot. I'm expecting mediocrity, but... it's SpyHunter, and the GC/Xbox/PS2 reboots actually were pretty good, so maybe this will be too!

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 1st June 2016

Gamecube
--
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - complete, $7 - Finally, a working copy of this game! I got a loose-disc copy years ago but it never worked, and it seems pretty good just like the Two Towers game, so I'm glad to get this one.

Nintendo DS
--
Hot Wheels Battle Force 5 - complete (and sealed despite being used, though I opened it), $5. Futuristic racing and car combat game. Will this be one of the good Hot Wheels games, or one of the bad ones? We'll see.
Mahjong Quest Expeditions - complete, $6 - Shanghai game. I like this stuff. Has a quest mode too, as the title suggests.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 8th June 2016

Wii
--
Little King's Story - $13.50, disc in case (no manual) - You don't see this game very often, and it's supposed to be pretty good, so I couldn't resist when I saw it! Looking forward to trying the game.

Xbox 360
--
Kingdoms Under Fire: Circle of Doom - $1, complete - Action-RPG in this Korean series which has been a bunch of different genres.

Also I re-subscribed to XBL Gold for a year, since 1 year XBL Gold cards are currently on sale for $40 at Best Buy and Gamestop. So...

Xbox 360 (DD) - Free from Games with Gold
--
Super Meat Boy - I have this for PC, but it's pretty good, so I'll play it again for sure.

Atari 2600
--
Big Bird's Egg Catch - $6, with Kid's Controller and overlay - checking ebay, this is a very good price for this game with the kids' controller! The controller goes for $10-plus online. The Kids Controller is an oversized keypad controller, and the only games for it are a handful of Sesame Street games. Why the heck this game uses this keypad and not a regular joystick when all you do is move left and right I have no idea, but that's how it is.

Taz - $3, cart only - This game is supposed to be pretty good, so I'm glad to have it.

3DO
--
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - $11, disc only - This is an adventure game from EA. It's unrelated to other Sherlock Holmes adventure games of the time, such as Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, and only released on PC and 3DO. It sounds like a solid game. And yes, it is worth this much, even loose.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 10th June 2016

SNES
--
King Arthur's World - box and manual, $14 - This may be a little expensive, I don't know, but when I saw this I had to get it -- this is a game I've really wanted to play ever since reading about it in Nintendo Power back in the mid '90s, and I don't think I've seen a copy of it used until now since I bought a SNES. This is a pretty interesting Lemmings-style puzzle game, as you control troops each with different abilities to try to capture castles and such. The game has SNES Mouse support, and I do have the mouse. The guy had had the box for this too, but couldn't find it, so... no box for me, yet at least. Ah well, at least the cart and manual were there! And the manual's pretty good too, lots of detail. It's so great to finally have this game, I've wanted it for a long time...

Also, for $1 each, I got manuals for Spectre (SNES) and Banjo-Kazooie (N64). Nice ones to have.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 14th June 2016

Xbox 360 Digital Download
--
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - This game was made free for people with Gold during E3, so if you don't have it, grab it while it's free. I've always really disliked Tekken, but I won't reject free, and the Tag games are supposed to be a bit different from the main series... it's been a long time since I played the first TTT though (I don't own it) and I've never played this one, so I don't know. I will give it a try at least.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2016

Playstation
--
Legend of Mana - $35, complete - Finally, I have what has been my most-wanted PS1 game for a long time now...

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 22nd June 2016

In what was hopefullyone of my least-good choices of a kickstarter to back I did back Mighty Number 9 several years back, so... I have that now. Reviews are not kind, as expected from all the bad press the game has been getting for a long time now. At least I have avoided backing any kickstarters that took the money and then closed up without actually finishing the game in question though, so that's good. But I have backed many fewer projects recently, versus a few years ago; part of that is fewer that look interesting, and part is that if something gets funded, unless I want to shell out for a physical reward, it'll probably be cheaper if I wait and then buy it on sale than it will be paying the minimum price for a full copy of whatever game it is on Kickstarter!

PC DD
--
Mighty Number 9 - kickstarter backer reward, so it comes with all three DLC addons plus a DRM-free download option on Humble Bundle, as well as a Steam key. That's nice at least. And yes, I chose PC as my platform for this.

Xbox 360 DD - Games with Gold subscription reward - This is the current title.
--
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Yes, the current GwG title is nothing less than Firaxis' acclaimed reboot of X-Com! I'm sure it's better on PC, but still, this is a cool one to get.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 29th June 2016

So I got something interesting, value-wise, from a local place...

Game Boy
--
Atomic Punk - I got these four GB games for $10 for the four, or $2.50 each. All are cart only. This game is actually a Bomberman-style game from Hudson, but it stars an original character for some reason.

Game Boy Color
--
Crystalis - I've heard this is a flawed port of this pretty good NES game, but I want to give it a try anyway...
Asterix & Obelix (E) - This is a generic licensed platformer... only released in Europe. I have no idea why I found it here, but I did, and because I like Asterix, I got this.
Young Felix Halloween (E) - This is another generic-looking licensed platformer that only released in Europe. Who knows though, could be okay? And it's certainly an interesting find.

Playstation 1
--
Destruction Derby 2 - complete, $1.50 - I remember really liking the demo of the PC version of this game, but I've never actually owned the full game... and while I'd rather have it for PC, this was quite cheap so I got it.

Playstation 2
--
Silent Hill 3 - sealed, $3. Yes, really. It has the holo-seal on it and everything. I'm not sure, should I open this or not? On the one hand I don't like sealed collectors, things are meant to be used, but on the other hand this is probably worth $80-plus, and I'm not exactly a survival horror fan...

Games Bought Thread 3 - Dark Jaguar - 29th June 2016

The GBC version of Crystalis was a port made by the same team that brought us Excitebike 64. Between the two, Excitebike ended up a far superior game.

GBC Crystalis has some good going for it. The gameplay is pretty much the same, though they've taken away the need to constantly switch sword elements (done via a menu). In that respect, it's actually an improvement. Further, the character animations have far more frames so they move much more smoothly. Plus, the main character now has a default name (Semia, an anagram of another important NPC, Mesia).

That's all I can say in the game's favor. This game is hurt pretty bad by the smaller viewing area of the Gameboy Color, and it'll lead to annoying deaths a bit too often in an already hard game. That's unavoidable, but many other changes seem to have been done simply for the sake of doing them.

First off, and most notably, they completely rewrote the story and script for the entire game. While the locations are all pretty much the same, the whole game's story is so alien that it's basically a completely different world. I get the impression the people doing the port were more interested in showing off their own artistic talents than in making a faithful port. The problem is, they weren't as good as they thought they were. The new story feels like one of the worse 80's Saturday morning cartoons. I'm not claiming the original was Shakespeare, but it did a competent job of making the world feel alive and like you had a part in it. The new version reads terribly, motivations are either missing or badly written, and dialog is just painful. Considering my high tolerance for typical video game melodrama, that's saying a lot. There were very few cut scenes in the NES version, but they've been stripped away to make way for a lot of new cut scenes. Unfortunately, the artwork is very badly drawn. Again, some of the worse Saturday morning cartoons come to mind. To finish off this list, they've gone and replaced all the music in the game with their own compositions. Once again, the new music is grating, repetitive, and lacks any of the charm and scope of the original. I must again ask why they felt the need to make all these changes.

They did improve the quality of a number of sound effects though, and there is an additional boss fight. So, it's not all bad. In all though, I'd treat it more like a spinoff game in the vein of Kid Icarus Myths and Monsters rather than a true port or remake.

You found a good deal with that copy of Silent Hill 3, but it comes down to one thing. Are you actually going to play that game? If not, sell it. If so, open it.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2016

That's interesting about Crystalis GBC. I've owned the NES cart for a long time, but the battery was dead when I got the game and I never did get it replaced or play it emulated much, so I still haven't played much of the original game... but as for this GBC version, you're a little off -- Crystalis was made by NST, the team who went on to make Bionic Commando" Elite Forces (one of my favorite GBC games, of course), Ridge Racer 64, Wave Race Blue Storm, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and such, not Left Field, the developers of Excitebike 64.

Anyway, I played through the first dungeon on GBC, and the game's fun. That first area was quite easy, as an '80s NES game it doesn't visually match games which push the GBC, and I did seem to often take hits while trying to damage enemies, but you have enough health that that's not too bad. It's simple fun Zelda-ish stuff. I like some of NST's additions too, such as the voice acting. The menu font looks exactly like the font in Bionic Commando: Elite Forces, too, which is great.

Quote: To finish off this list, they've gone and replaced all the music in the game with their own compositions. Once again, the new music is grating, repetitive, and lacks any of the charm and scope of the original. I must again ask why they felt the need to make all these changes.
Maybe they didn't have the rights to the soundtrack or something? It would need changes to work on GBC, the sound hardware isn't the same, but it is odd that they'd totally redo it. Either it was just because Crystalis GBC was one of NST's first games, and they didn't entirely know what they were doing yet? But BC: EF was their first game and I REALLY love that game, so I don't know.

Quote: You found a good deal with that copy of Silent Hill 3, but it comes down to one thing. Are you actually going to play that game? If not, sell it. If so, open it.
Indeed, that is the question. For now I think I'll leave it still wrapped, in my PS2 shelf. I'll decide later... :p

So, it's the Steam Summer Sale now. Steam sales now don't have limited-time offers, just one block of sales that last for the whole sale, and so I got all this stuff mostly at once.

PC DD - Steam sale
--
Assault Android Cactus - $9.89
Shovel Knight - $10.04
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ All You Can Eat Edition Bundle - $3.74
FOTONICA - $1.50
Unpossible - $2.00
Lococycle - $2.00
The Banner Saga - $5.00
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 3 - $6.00
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - $3.74
Gear Grinder (aka Sledgehammer) - $1.60
Quantum Rush Champions - $7.00
Quantum Rush Champions DLC - $1.40
Lovely Planet - $1.50

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 10th July 2016

SNES
--
Wordtris - $5, cart only - I like puzzle games, so I'd like to try this one.

NES
--
Section-Z - $6, cart only - I've wanted this one for a while... it's a Capcom shooter and is sort of the predecessor to Sidearms and Forgotten Worlds, which are both really good.

N64
--
NBA Courtside - $3, cart only - I've never actually tried Left Field's basketball games, but I should.

Game Boy/GB Color Dual Mode
--
Mary-Kate & Ashley: Get a Clue - $2, cart only - I have never had any interest in the license, so why get this? Because it's actually a decent puzzle-platformer, that's why. I've tried it, simple but okay game.

3DO
--
Jurassic Park Interactive - disc only, $5 - This game is infamously disappointing, but I've seen enough of it to think that there's probably $5 worth of entertainment here; it may be 'that's amusingly bad' as often as not, but that counts as something! :) It's basically a minigame collection.

Also, I've been going through my GOG library, and I just found that I'd never added the Interplay Bundle games I got in October 2012 either to my game-collection spreadsheet or this thread, so I'd sort of forgotten about them... so yeah, back on 10/28/2012 I got Evolva, Kingdom: The Far Reaches, VR Soccer '96, Screamer, Conquest of the New World, M.A.X. 1 + 2, Shattered Steel, and Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business for $1. I already had the rest of the games in the bundle on GOG, so those were the ones I actually got then. I already had Screamer, Conquest of the New World, MAX 1, and Shattered Steel in physical copies, but the others were new and why I got the bundle.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2016

3DO
--
Super Street Fighter II Turbo - $14, disc only - This is supposed to be a very good version of the game, and does have 6-button controller support, which is great. Sure, I'd like to have the case for this, but that'd cost more and require ebay, while this was available locally. So yeah, good pickup.

Odyssey 2
--
Cosmic Conflict - $6, complete - This is another one of those 'they really didn't know how to make games' titles from the early years of the industry. You've got a ~2-minute timer, a cursor you move around, alien ships to shoot, and that's it; no difficulty levels, next to no challenge, nothing. The box art's okay, but not among the best on the O2, either... but this is interesting as just about the only first-person-camera O2 game, even if it is quite basic, and as one of those early space games trying for a pseudo-"3d" look, even if it really is just sprites scrolling by, and the O2 has a small library, so I got it. I'm sure it'll be amusing for a few minutes at least, O2 games always are at least that, and many are pretty good.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2016

Genesis
--
Steel Empire - $10, cart only - Pretty cool find! This is a solid steampunk-themed shmup. I don't see it often, and the price was reasonable too, so I'm happy to have found this.

PC
--
Painkiller Pandemonium - $1, discs in case (no manual) - This includes the original Painkiller and its expansions or what have you, all together, for a dollar. The game is supposed to be good too, so why not?

Game Gear
--
X-Men: Gamesmaster's Legacy - $5, cart only - This is the second GG X-Men game, and it's another mediocre Game Gear game from Sega, unfortunately... but the price was pretty good for this game and the game does look better than the first GG X-Men, at least.

Game Boy Advance
--
TMNT - $8, cart only - I've seen this game for more at other local places, but it was a little cheaper at the place I was at today, so I got this, finally. Quite unlike the bad console game, GBA TMNT, the game based on the '06 movie, is actually a pretty good game -- it's a solid classic 2d isometric beat 'em up. It's one of the later quality titles for the system (an '07 release), too.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 22nd July 2016

Atari 2600
--
Adventures of Tron - $4, cart with manual - This is an okay platformer Tron game for the 2600. Having the manual with it is nice. :)

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 27th July 2016

Xbox 360
--
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - $5, new and unopened (with the cardboard sleeve and "Shock Drop Slaughter Pit" challenge map DLC) - A place here must have ordered way too many copies of this, to be selling a bunch off this cheap...

Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy - $4, used - ... And this one was surely not priced correctly, but that was the price on it so they honored that. I have ACII, but not Revelations or Brotherhood, and this was about the same price as buying those loose, but with a case, so why not? :) I don't love this series of course, but it does have some appeal particularly for its settings.

Gamecube
--
Tonka Rescue Patrol - $4, complete - I'm not expecting much from this one, but it looks like it could be amusing.

Taz Wanted - $3, complete - I've wanted to play this one for a long time; it looks like a decent 3d platformer.

DS
--
Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi - $4, complete - 3d platformer. The Wii Mushroom Men game is decent fun, so I've always wanted to also get the DS one.

3DS
--
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - $27, complete - ... yeah, and this was the big one here. I thought of several other 3DS games (I only have one of the five 3DS Zelda releases for example...), but I got this because I really should have it, and I do want to play the game. I've never loved Smash, but I do like it; it's a good series and I would like to play the newest one. Decent price for it.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 4th August 2016

Game Boy
--
Nemesis - $2.50, cart only - Finally! I've wanted Nemesis for so long, but somehow had never seen a copy... until today. I bought it immediately of course, and the price was good too. The cart's not in good shape, but oh well, it runs just fine. This game is of course the first GB Gradius game, and with how much I love the second one, I've always really wanted this, but somehow it's hard to find... not valuable, but not something I'd seen. I've played it, and it's great. Awesome to have.

PC
--
Star Trek: Klingon - $3, jewelcase only - This is one of several FMV-heavy multimedia "games" released in the mid '90s. Interesting find, even if the gameplay likely isn't much.

Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2, DVD case release - Yeah, I have a digital copy of this good tower defense game for the 360, but it'd be cool to have it for PC too, and $2 for a physical copy? Yes, sure!

Additionally, a couple of days ago, for $15 I go an (official) SNES power supply. The knock-off ones are cheaper, but I decided to go with the first party one instead. Why get this? Well, so I can use the Virtual Boy with AC without having to remove my SNES's power supply of course, since the VB tap uses a SNES power supply... that's a pain and causes me to use the VB even less often than I otherwise would. I'd been meaning to get a SNES power supply ever since getting that VB AC adapter tap some time back, but hadn't until now. Well, I think it's already worth it, because I've played a couple of hours of VB in the last few days, which is a lot more than I'd used it since at least last year. The VB has some pretty good games, they're just often short... though with that screen, you don't want to be playing the thing for all that long in a sitting anyway.

Finally, the new Xbox 360 Games with Gold title is Spelunky. Haven't played it yet, but I did add it of course.

Games Bought Thread 3 - Dark Jaguar - 5th August 2016

My biggest issue with the knock-off power adapters is the manufacturers are too cheap to get UL certification (or any certification), so I am genuinely afraid they pose an unknown electrical hazard. On the one hand, the 32x/SegaCD/Genesis all-in-one adapter would be pretty convenient, but on the other hand, I'd rather know the adapters are certified to be safe than take any chances.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 5th August 2016

That is definitely a good concern indeed... those third-party things are cheaply made, and you don't want to cheap out on a power supply.

Game Boy Advance
--
Rayman: Raving Rabbids - $3, cart only. Unlike all other Rabbids games, this one for the GBA is actually a classic-style platformer, starring Rayman! Yeah, really. I hadn't remembered this, but after reading a bit out the game, I got it today since I saw a copy. I quite like Rayman 3 for the GBA, and this is similar.

Xbox
--
Iron Phoenix - $3, disc in case (no manual)

PC
--
Classic Tetris - $2, disc only - Spectrum HoloByte's improved 1992 version of Tetris for DOS. I don't think I've ever played this version before?

Lords of Magic Special Edition - $4, complete - I've never loved this game, and do own it on GOG, but after seeing this complete big-box copy I just couldn't resist. I actually haven't played this game in a long time; who knows, maybe I'll like it more than before? You get a thick manual, poster-size unit and building guide, quick-help flyer, and some ad flyers too... nice. In addition to the big box all that extra stuff is really why I got this, digital copies are not the same.

3-D Table Sports - $1, complete and sealed - It's foosball, air hockey (sorry, "Slam Hockey"),. and Power Hoops, three tabletop sports games, in videogame form (for DOS). This is another mid '90s game, and it was cheap, still shrinkwrapped, and somewhat amusing so I got it. I'll open it eventually. Oh, and no, it's not really 3d, or at least it sure doesn't use polygons.

I also got the manual for Might & Magic VI for $2. This is another game I own digitally, but physical manuals are so much better than PDF... and this is a good manual, with lots in it.

Also for 50 cents each I got the Versus Books guide for Baldur's Gate II and the Prima guide for Hexen. They were really cheap, and I've never beaten Hexen and it's confusing at times... and for BGII, as with that Majora's Mask guide, this has a great sizable poster included in the book. I might put it up.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 16th August 2016

Got a bunch of stuff. Some of this is from today and some from yesterday, but it's all from the same store.

Game Boy Color
--
Turok 3 - $5, cart only - The handheld version of Turok 3 is a fun-looking top-down action game.

Looney Tunes: Marvin Strikes Back! - $3, cart only - This game and its other counterpart (that I don't have), Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!, are two top-down action games with a lot of collecting in them. They look decently fun.

Game Gear
--
Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe - $10, cart in plastic case - This is actually a good price for this okay sort of Zelda 2-like game... I've never thought too much of this game, but I do really love the Golden Axe beat 'em ups so despite that I have wanted it.

Vampire: Master of Darkness - $12, cart in plastic case - Also got this for a good price. This game is a popular sort of Castlevania-like platform-action game. It's kind of easy, but it otherwise good.

Game Boy Advance
--
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League - $5, cart only - Yes, I have the better DS Puzzle League game, but not a better handheld version of Dr. Mario than this... and I love Puzzle League, so I should have all of the games.

Playstation 2
--
Dropship: United Peace Force - $1, complete - A low-budget futuristic flight combat game. I like this kind of game, so it could be fun.

RC Revenge Pro - $4, complete - This game is Re-Volt's mediocre sequel. It's too bad that they decided the sequel would drop all of the simulation elements that made the first great, it's now just a basic arcade racer... and why PS1 and PS2 only, for a sequel to a game on PC, N64, DC, and PS1? Odd. Ah well.

Dreamcast
--
TNN Hardcore Heat - $4, complete - I tried to get a copy of this okay-looking arcade racer once before, but the disc doesn't work. Hoping for better this time.

Xbox
--
Area 51 - $6, complete - This is the first of two FPSes Midway released based on the name of their classic mid '90s light-gun shooter. I've never played either one, but have wanted to try them, so I finally got it

Gamecube
--
Puyo Pop Fever - $15, complete - This Sega puzzle game franchise is one I like a lot, and this is one of the last ones released in the US since Sega is stupid and keeps not releasing games in the US that should be released here (Puyo Puyo, Phantasy Star, etc.). I've always really wanted the Japanese Dreamcast version, which oddly does have full English voice acting as an option, but that would be $50-plus while this is a lot cheaper, so... I got it. Plus, this version is a little different from that release, as the Fever mode is polygonal 3d here, versus the sprites of the Dreamcast (and arcade) versions.

Nintendo 64
--
Triple Play 2000 - $2, cart only - EA's baseball game. I like baseball so I do want to try at least one of each major publishers' N64 baseball games.

WWF: No Mercy - $5, cart only - Yes, I have little interest in wrestling, but this price is really good for this game, and it's considered to maybe be the best wrestling game ever so I finally got it.

Quake - $8, cart only - Good price for this one as well. I like Quake a fair amount on PC, but never have played the console (N64 and Saturn) ports. I really want to play the impressive Saturn port, but this N64 one will be nice for comparison, and I'm sure I'll like it. It has a few advantages over the Saturn too, even if there's little reason to play either one over the PC...

Sega Master System
--
Cloud Master - $13, cart only - This is a quality shmup based on an arcade game. There are also other versions of the game in Japan (on TG16, etc.), but I think this is the only one with a US release. In this ancient Chinese-themed game you fly around as a guy on a cloud.

Atari 2600
--
Sky Skipper - $4, cart only - This is a port by Parker Brothers of an obscure Nintendo arcade game from 1981 that I have no memory of. But I saw the 'licensed from Nintendo' text on the cart, so I got it. Looking it up, it looks decent. You fly around and save people while shooting at giant apes, or something like that.

Games Bought Thread 3 - Dark Jaguar - 17th August 2016

Your ultra thread keeps showing up as the latest thread ABF! You're pushing all the other topics outta sight!

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 17th August 2016

My game collection spreadsheet (including all physical and digital games) is now up to about 5424. Pretty big collection now. :)

Games Bought Thread 3 - Dark Jaguar - 19th August 2016

Still though, I'd love to have posts other than this appear on the main page so people know there's more going on. How's anyone supposed to find out about the rerelease of the best video game comic book of all time?

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 19th August 2016

But the LttP comic was published some time ago! I still like it, it's great.

If you're saying I should make more news threads though... yeah, maybe I should.

Also, I bought something. Probably shouldn't have, but after looking at it every so often for some weeks now I finally caved...

Xbox
--
Mad Dash Racing - $5, complete - Decent-looking game in the on-foot racing game subgenre. I have been interested for a while in trying this one, which I think is an Xbox exclusive.

N64
--
Daikataka - $20, cart only. Why? Well, the price is reasonable; you can do a few bucks better with some luck on ebay, but most ebay sales are for above this price, surprisingly enough. And I have wanted to play the N64 version of this game, as while I'm no Daikatana fan I don't think it's a terrible game either and I do think John Romero has mostly done good work. And this version doesn'[t have your AI companions in it, so you don't have that issue from the PC game. It does have quite dated, mediocre graphics for a mid 2000 release, with fog and low-rez textures, but it looks average and plays okay. This is not one of the better N64 FPSes, but I got near the end of level two and I don't regret getting it, there is some fun to be had. (Biggest issue so far: first-person jumping! It's not quite as easy here as it is in Turok, and even in Turok it causes problems sometimes...)

Also for $5 total I got two Nyko PS1 memory cards. I've needed more PS1 cards for a while, so seeing two of them for a good price ($5 for two!) was great.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2016

Wii
--
Sonic and the Black Knight - $7, complete - Given its mediocre reputation I'm not expecting this to be great, but most of the Sonic Wii games are fun, so hopefully this one is too.

Xbox 360 Digital Download - The current Xbox 360 Live Games with Gold title is Beyond Good & Evil HD. Yes, I've added it to my library. I might try it too, to see how the port is... better than the bad PC version I hope!

And finally, I've gotten several things from ebay recently, all replacements for things that broke on me. First I got a new N64 DexDrive save backup unit; I got one some time ago but a few years ago ago but my cat destroyed it when she peed on it, sadly enough. it's great to have a working one again. And it does work, I backed up all of my surviving N64 controller paks onto my older computer (which has the serial port you need for this thing).

And second, I got and a (new in box) PDP Versus Fighting Pad for $16, replacing mine that has several bad microswitches. Since this one is new hopefully it lasts a decent while; I imagine it'll eventually fail too, they seem to not have used the best switches here, but it's a fantastic pad with a Neo Geo CD/Pocket-like digital stick and I missed mine since it became unusable some months ago.

On the controllers note, a few months ago my "transforming d-pad" Xbox 360 controller's d-pad snapped off around the central pillar;it seems to be a poor design, and I looked it up and this problem is common. Fortunately you can get replacement new transforming d-pads on ebay for about $5, so that is what I did. Now the controller works fine again.

There are a few more controllers I haven't replaced yet but should, too -- I want a replacement Interact Dual Impact Gamepad, since mine's cable is sliced (I think it was that way when I got it, but the problem got worse and now it doesn't work), and that gamepad is fantastic since it's the only PS1 gamepad with neGcon support as well as regular analog! And neGcon support matters because most racing games on the PS1 support it as their better analog format, which means neGcon modes will have more precise controls on the stick than regular analog mode; I did a thread about this once, a few years ago. And the other thing I'm thinking about is a new PC gamepad, since my Saitek P990's d-pad snapped off; again, I kind of expected this eventually since the P880 I used to have had this happen to it eventually, but it's unfortunate. I really love having a PC gamepad with dual analog and six face buttons, but there hasn't really been a great one since the P880/990 line, which was discontinued several years ago now... so what do I do? Use some probably not very good no-name Chinese controller with 6 buttons? Buy another P990 or the rumble version, the P2600, knowing that its d-pad will eventually break off too since it seems to be a design flaw? Use the controller I have for analog games and something else (my Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad USB, or the PC arcade stick I have) for digital-pad games? That last one is what I'm doing now and it works decently well, but I still would like something else... but I just don't see anything better than these, which is an issue when I'd like something more durable if possible.

The other controller I want is a (Japan-only) Hori EX2 gamepad for the XBox 360, which is a wired, 6-face-button gamepad for the X360. Yeah, I really want that, but sadly they are hard to come by and somewhat pricey so I still don't have one. :( And of course, even though it is wired, it'd be an xinput device on the PC, so that would not be good for older PC games... having to use emulation software for everything is a pain, and doesn't always work perfectly as some of my summaries in the PC Game Opinion Summaries list have shown, for some games that support xinput but won't work with gamepads through the xinput-to-dinput emulation software I have. So yeah, that Hori EX2 would be great for xinput games for sure, and also good on the X360 itself too I imagine. I need to keep trying to get one.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 29th August 2016

The still fairly recent Castle of Illusion remake is being de-listed on September 1st or 2nd, for some stupid reason, so instead of just hoping that it comes back eventually, I picked it up.

PC DD
--
Castle of Illusion (the new one) - $2.25, on sale at Humble Bundle. Pick this up in the next couple of days if you have interest in the game!

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 1st September 2016

Atari 2600
--
Solar Fox - $4.50, cart only. This is an interesting sort of Pac Man-esque game. Grab all the dots while avoiding enemy fire! Good game.

Genesis
--
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - $5.50, cart only. ... I don't know. I never have cared about this series at all, but I've heard that this is a decent beat 'em up, so I'll give it a try. On a related note though, it is interesting how Power Rangers was such a big thing for a while, but then really crashed out and now doesn't matter at all if it's even still on the air, while Ninja Turtles (always the better show! :)) just keeps coming back...

Xbox 360 - Digital Download (free from Games with Gold)
--
Forza Horizon - This somewhat simmish title is not really my thing, but it is a pretty interesting one for MS to be giving out for 'free', and I will give it a try for sure!

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 12th September 2016

I got a bunch of handheld stuff today. All games are cart/card only.

Game Boy
--
Altered Space - $4 - This is an isometric platform action-adventure game, one of those games in this genre that some European developers particularly liked back in the '80s to early '90s. I have been interested in this one for a long time because it's one of the few of these on the GB. I don't expect to really like this, but it's worth a try.

Game Boy Advance
--
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - $8 - Yes, I have never owned this game before.
Ecks vs. Sever - $5 - A FPS that's supposed to be solid. Interestingly enough this game released well before the movie (Ballistic) and has some plot differences from the film as a result. There is a second GBA game more like the move, titled Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever I believe.
Denki Blocks - $2 - Cheap puzzlers are often fun!

Nintendo DS
--
Sonic Colors - $5 - This is the last of the three Sonic platformers for the DS. I still don't have the middle one, Sonic Rush Adventure, but this one's nice to have.

Game Gear
--
The Adventures of Batman & Robin - $10 - This game is a fairly average platformer/beat 'em up, which, for the GG, probably means that it's above average... this game is a far cry from the fantastic Genesis and Sega CD Adventures of Batman & Robin games, but it does look a lot like the (great!) series it's based on, and the gameplay is alright. I don't think I've seen this one in person before, either, since I got a GG.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 14th September 2016

The three games I got today would have been $24, but I had a $10 credit because of past purchases at this place (they have a points system), so I used it and got them for $14.

N64
--
Virtual Pool 64 - cart only, $4 (really less) - Meh, why not? Virtual Pool was good on the PC in the '90s, it might be interesting to try this console version...

Playstation
--
Trap Gunner - complete, $15 (really less) - This game looks like it could be interesting, and isn't the most common thing. Hopefully a good find.

3DS
--
Bust-A-Move Universe - $5 (really less), complete - I've been looking for a copy of the 3DS Bust-A-Move game ever since I got the system last year, so it's fantastic to finally find it! And it's complete too, which is cool. I'm really happy to have this one, I like the series quite a bit.

And yesterday I got these two, digitally:

Xbox 360 Digital Download (games on sale)
--
Forza Horizon Season Pass - $5 (75% off) - This gets you the Rally expansion for the game and also a bunch of cars. I wouldn't buy DLC for this okay game just for cars, but I am interested in trying the rally addon. This isn't really my kind of game, but trying it, it is some fun at least...

Under Defeat HD - $10 (50% off) - I'd forgotten that this had a 360 release, but it did! Under Defeat is a very late (~2006-2007) Dreamcast shmup, and it's one of the better games on that system too. It's fantastic, but expensive. This PS360 re-release, with some added modes to make the game easier and a widescreen mode in addition to the arcade tate mode, is pretty good too, and for only $10 I got it for sure! I do need to say though, in Japan and Europe this game does have a physical release, but sadly it doesn't in the US. If there had been a physical release here too I would not have gotten this, but there is and I think the imports may be region-locked (and expensive compared to this sale, for sure!), so I had to get it digital. Ah well, at least I have the game, and for a good price too. And yes, the game is fantastic, just like it is on Dreamcast.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 18th September 2016

PS1
--
Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman - $15, complete - Potentially interesting action game.

Xbox
--
Fuzion Frenzy - $6, complete
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - $5, disc in case (no manual) - Yes, I have this for PS2 and do not like it much... but with how much I love the franchise in general, I should have this better version of the game anyway.

Xbox 360
--
Dante's Inferno - $7, disc in case (no manual) - Going by reviews this is an okay God of War knockoff. I got it because I have some interest, and because that place is buy 3 get 1 free.

Genesis
--
Marko - $7, cart only - This is a platformer with a kid with a soccer ball. This actually isn't the only soccer-themed platformer, but this game and Soccer Kid (which I have for 3DO but is also on SNES) and this are in fact different games, so I picked it up.

SNES
--
Judge Dredd - cart only, free in a buy 3 get 1 (with Rising Zan and the two other $7 games) - This is another alright action-platformer from Acclaim. I know some people like this game, so I'll give it a try...

3DO
--
Star Control II - disc in generic case only, $14. This game is considered to be one of the best games on the 3DO, but I have never actually played any Star Control game before, not the '90s PC games or even Star Control II (3DO)'s freeware PC remake form, The Ur-Quan Masters. I hope it's good.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 20th September 2016

So I got some more bundles of downloadable PC games from Bundle Stars. This first bundle ended today, but the other end in the next few weeks.

PC DD - Bundle Stars
--
Kalypso Pick & Mix Bundle - this was $6 for all of these games. These games are ... mixed in quality, but hopefully enough are good to be worth it. Crash Time 3, Grand Ages: Rome, and Tropico 4 definitely should be fun, and hopefully Disciples 3 is as well despite its iffy reception, given how much I loved the first two back in the early '00s. As for the rest, they sounded interesting enough to be worth trying for so little. We'll see.
--
Blood Knights
Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition
DUNGEONS - Steam Special Edition
Disciples III: Gold
Grand Ages: Rome
Grand Ages: Rome - Reign of Augustus DLC
Anna - Extended Edition
Patrician III
Crash Time 3
----
Crazy Machines Bundle Reloaded - $3 - This is a collection of some Incredible Machine-inspired games. I have a physical boxed copy of the original one, but I don't have nay of the rest of these. The second game and its DLC are supposed to be pretty good, but Elements and Golden Gears sound much more touchscreen-focused and watered down in order to reach some wider audience, unfortunately. I do have a Windows tablet of course so maybe I'll check Golden Gears out there, but the main draw here is the second game.
--
Crazy Machines and Crazy Machines 1.5
Crazy Machines 2 and 10 DLC packs for it
Crazy Machines Elements and two DLC packs for it
Crazy Machines: Golden Gears
----
Majestic Bundle - $3 - I mostly got this for Chariot, which is an interesting platformer I've wanted to play for sure. (I have it for Xbox One Games with Gold, but I don't have an X1 so that's not too useful...) The other stuff sounded just interesting enough to get the bundle; Chariot has previously been on sale for $3 alone at its lowest point, so if any are decent this'll be worth it. Porcunpine and Capsule Force are fine-looking local multiplayer-focused games, but both also have single player so hopefully they'll be fun alone too. Dub Dash looks interesting for sure. Tiny Guardians is another one to try on my tablet. Cally's Trials, Zero Reflex, and Pumped BMX+... we'll see, who knows. Could be good or bad. Solarix sounds bad.
--
Chariot
Solarix
Pumped BMX+
Zero Reflex: Black Eye Edition
Capsule Force
Cally's Trials
Dub Dash
Tiny Guardians
On My Own
Porcunpine

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2016

Star Control II is indeed really good. It's great to finally play this game!

PC DD - Humble Jumbo Bundle 7 - I got this at the $1 tier for the three games there. I'll consider upgrading if the additional titles (not announced yet) are good, but so far it doesn't look worth it. Two of these are pretty cool to have though!
--
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 Triple Thrill Pack - This second RCT game is supposed to maybe be the best one. It's a classic 2d game like the first one, but with improvements. I have the first and third games, but I've never played this... and I'd like to. So now I can!

Devil Daggers - This is a very cool pixeley FPS released not too long back. It's a very short but crushingly difficult game with only one mode, but great classic gameplay and stratospheric challenge. I doubt I'll get anywhere so I'm glad to get it for cheap, but the game looks good in videos so I'm glad to have it.

Runestone Keeper - This one is a top-down pixel-art dungeon crawler RPG. Doubt I'll play it much at all, it doesn't look too interesting to me.

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 28th September 2016

Wii
--
Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars - $8, disc in case (no manual) - I've tried to buy this before but the disc didn't work. This one does.

Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal - $3, complete - 3d action-platform game. It didn't get great reviews, but since I love Looney Tunes I have wanted to try it anyway, and this is as cheap as I've seen it.

Xbox 360
--
Resident Evil 6 - complete (with 3 stickers of the characters from a Wal-Mart bonus), $4 - I'm expecting little from this, but the price is right and I have most of the other RE games...

Dead Island Riptide - $2, disc only - The second in this zombie shooter series.

Nintendo DS
--
Margot's Word Brain - $3, complete - A collection of word-puzzle games. Should be fun.

Genesis
--
Galaxy Force II - $8, complete - Sega's sci-fi rail shooter's Genesis incarnation. I have actually not played much of this one, but while I'm sure this Genesis version won't be the best, it should be fun at least. And some of the Genesis rail shooters are good (G-LOC for example), so hopefully this is too!

Krusty's Super Fun House - $8, complete - This is a puzzle game from Acclaim that uses the Simpsons license. It's supposed to be a good game so I've wanted a copy for a long time, but this is the first time I've seen an affordable complete copy, so it's great to finally have this game! This game also on other systems (SNES, NES, GB...), but it's supposed to be pretty much the same on all of them.) The game is a side-scrolling platform puzzle game and you need to kill all the rats in each stage, so maybe it'll be sort of reverse Lemmings?

Games Bought Thread 3 - A Black Falcon - 2nd October 2016

Nintendo 3DS - Digital Download
--
Nano Assault EX - $7.50 (currently on sale). Nano Assault also has a physical release for the DS, but unfortunately while I'd usually rather have that version, you don't really have a choice with this one -- the digital release has additional content unavailable on the physical card. They should have released an addon to make that into this version, but no... buying the card is a waste. So, since it's on sale, I finally got this good-looking 3d classic arcade-style shooter. I believe the sale isn't over yet.

The rest of these are physical games.

Nintendo 3DS
--
Hyrule Warriors Legends - $27, complete - So that's one of the several major 3DS games I want down... can't just get everything I'd like to have when it still costs this much, but I got this one now.

Xbox 360
--
Xbox Live Arcade Game Pack - $3.50, complete - This disc has Geometry Wars 2, Lumines Live, and Bomberman Live on it. I have a digital version of Geometry Wars 2, but don't have the other two and the Geometry Wars 2 cover art is pretty cool, so this is probably worth it. (I did try to get a copy of this once before, but got the wrong disc; I haven't owned this collection before, just some other XBLA compilation discs for the 360.)

Disney Infinity 3.0 - $15, new - As Disney Infinity was discontinued and the team shut down earlier this year, the games now are going for lower and lower prices. Best Buy is still asking full price for some reason, but Gamestop's trying to sell off the base game Disney Infinity stuff, and I have wanted to try Disney Infinity, and its Star Wars stuff in particular. This one is the Star Wars one, as it comes with a Clone Wars campaign, so when I saw this there today I got it. The Disney Infinity games have some issues, most notably that within the main campaigns, only figures from that franchise are usable -- you can't use Marvel or Disney cartoon characters in Star Wars and vice versa -- but hopefully the gameplay itself is fun. Also the multiplayer servers are going to be shut down later this year, but that doesn't affect single player, or the figures (if you buy physical ones, which you need to now!). Hopefully I can find some of the addon campaigns for cheap, there are two more Star Wars campaigns out there for this, plus a few others for Disney and Marvel properties.

Also for $5.40 I got an Xbox 360 remote, mostly for DVDs and such.