Tendo City
Anime Thread - 2012 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Anime Thread - 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=6387)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2013

I am interested in the first two of those, but not the latter two.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 9th April 2013

Yuyushiki 1 - What is this, exactly? I guess it's another one of those "nothing" shows. It's not really a comedy, because it's rarely funny, but it's not much of anything else either. It's just a show about three girls, two of whom are brain-dead idiots and one who is tsundere, and their not particularly interesting day at school and mild yuribaiting. Yeah, it was pretty boring... I may keep watching, I'm not sure, but not exactly exciting stuff, that's for sure. There was no plot to speak of, not all that much yuribait (it had a few good moments, but that's it), not much comedy... boring. I didn't come into this with all that much in the way of expectations, but it probably didn't meet them, whatever they were. With no plot and two very annoyingly stupid characters as 2/3rds of the main cast, this show isn't that great.

Sparrow's Hotel 1 - This 3-minute anime looks like a poorly drawn series from 10-15 years ago, except it has none of the quality that made some ugly-looking shows from back then good (like, obviously, Kanon 2003. Yes, I still love that show.). This one? It's just bland. Bland, average, and not particularly interesting. But on the other hand, it wasn't too bad, and there were a few amusing moments, and it is only three minutes, so there's not much of a time expenditure. As for the show, it's about a super-strong woman who might be an assassin or ex-mercenary or something who works at an otherwise normal hotel. It's vaguely amusing gag humor stuff, like her picking up the whole matress instead of taking off the sheet. Was it actually good, though? No, it wasn't.

Aiura 1 - 4 minute slice-of-life anime about three girls. Yeah, I guess three girls is the new four? Yuyushiki is also about three girls. As for the show, this episode was quite bland and generic, but it probably was the best of the three in this post... that's not saying a whole lot, but at least it was moderately interesting, I guess. Still though, Aiura is a very generic and bland slice-of-life "comedy" series about a group of girls, and it's got nothing really to distinguish it from the others, so far, other than the 4-minute episode length. This episode was about the girl who looks younger than her age. It was alright.

Overall, I miss Puchimas... but wait, finally there's a new Here Comes the Black Witch episode! Well, as of like a week or two ago, but I hadn't noticed.

Here Comes the Black Witch 26 - In this episode Choco learns time-forward and time-reverse spells... and then messes up and accidentally sets off a loop. So yeah, it's Choco in Groundhog Few Minutes, pretty much. :) The results are entertaining as ever. This really is a good, funny little 5 minute show... for anyone who hasn't, consider watching it.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 12th April 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 23rd April 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 24th April 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 30th May 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - Great Rumbler - 1st July 2013

Flowers of Evil is the best show this year by a good mile. Maybe Kill La Kill can unseat it later in the year, but it's a tough mountain to climb.

Anime Thread - 2012 - Dark Jaguar - 1st July 2013

ABF, I'm starting to wonder about your feminist creds... Granted, I only skimmed the titles here just now, but a lot of those shows seem... very Baywatchy...

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2013

I've watched quite a few pretty terrible animes, it's true. And yeah, a lot of anime is sexist. I think it's a product of the fact that Japan is considerably more sexist than the West is... you see it in their games as well. With anime though, for me it's either "watch it and often hate teh sexism and negative stereotypes" or "don't watch it at all". I've probably done more of the former than the latter, but sometimes have stopped watching things, or never started them, because of that stuff.

But yes, I watch some terrible animes anyway, so... uh. But I definitely do wish that anime was less sexist, the sexism is the worst and most unfortunate thing about anime by far. Anime-style videogames are often similar, I think, in tone, though.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 7th July 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 11th July 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 17th July 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 18th July 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2013

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1-2 - Overall, this was disappointing. I haven't played the games since I don't have a PS3, but I like the concept of videogame consoles turned into characters; it's a great idea. However, the show just isn't that great; it's creepy, disturbing at times, and nothing above average. If you want a good show about girls and fighting and stuff, watch Senran Kagura, not this junk. I'll keep watching it for now... but I expect I'll probably drop this, unless its quality starts improving, a lot, and the super-creepy elements stop.

The character designs are decently good though, apart from one thing. I find Neptune's color scheme odd, though, because the Genesis and/or 32X never had a purple colorscheme anywhere. Black makes sense (the systems were black after all), but... why purple? In the US and Japan the 32X's theme color was yellow. In Europe it was a blue and black design with some yellow highlights. The Genesis was black or red in the US and Europe, and blue (with a yellow information box) in Japan. No purple anywhere. I guess the idea was "feminine color for our heroine", but apart from Neptune and Nepgear, all of the other characters have color schemes that fit their consoles... but not Sega's, and they're the main characters (Neptune and her younger sister Nepgear). And on that note, yeah, Nepgear probably looks even less like a Game Gear than Neptune does a Sega Neptune, 32X, or Genesis (the Neptune being a 32X/Genesis hybrid system that was never released, of course).

I know, most people don't care about this one bit, but darnit, if you're trying to do videogame consoles as characters, and you've got some degree of accuracy in all of your other designs, including black for Sony (obviously), white for Nintendo (fitting for the post Wii/DS-era Nintendo of the show), and green for Microsoft... but Sega being purple is just stupid. Sure, it goes well with black, Neptune's other main color, but it's not a Sega theme color! It's annoying.

Oh yeah, and where's the Sega CD? Is that a character too?

Apart from that minor quibble, my actual main complaint about the show is about the incredibly creepy nature of some plot elements in both episodes so far. Both elements have some pseudo-rape elements to them. In the first episode, Neptune and Nepgear, along with two other minor characters (videogame company-based), get attacked by an army of slimes. They fight most of them off, but get overwhelmed, and before one of the minor characters kills all the slimes, there's some requisite "girls getting covered in slime" stuff. Then in episode two, a villain kidnaps Rom and Ram, aka the young twin girls who represent the Nintendo DS, and starts picking them up (clothed) and licking them with a long tongue, saying how young girls are the best, etc, etc. It's really, really messed up stuff. Any much more of THAT and I'm through with this series.

Even if I was to ignore that element of the show, though, which I can't, this still isn't anything that reaches average. The characters are bland and generic, the stories are average, the main character is your usual "kind of stupid but competent when it matters" lead type that I've never liked very much, etc etc. So yeah, this show is a disappointment. I'm only still watching because of the whole "videogame consoles as characters" thing, considering how much I love games.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 28th July 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 14th October 2013

I do have backups of the anime reviews I've posted in the last few months, but I don't know if anyone cares enough for me to post them again... that said though, here's a new one.

Log Horizon 2 - This really was quite good. I had somewhat mixed feelings about the first episode, as I said -- it was good, but somewhat bland -- but this second episode was a solid improvement over the first one! This was a great episode, and I liked it a lot. This show asks the right questions, and has some interesting answers too. It also made me wonder... in this world they're in, do people age? Of course, in games people don't usually age, but that's because they aren't really running in the same time scale as real life; it's always the same short period of time, repeating again and again, in a sense. The worlds those games are set in do have aging and eventual death from that; respawning doesn't heal everything. So, is this just "they're in the game", or is it a bit more real and they can age, or not? Of course, you'd have to be stuck in the game for QUITE a while to figure that out, so I doubt it'll happen. But it is a question related to the ones this episode brings up.

But anyway, yeah, Log Horizon is quite good. The world is interesting, and I wonder how this post-apocalyptic Earth came to have magic in it. The main characters are good and have some nice, if cliche and predictable, interactions with eachother. The plot has promise, and I really like that people resurrect when killed; that's how it works in MMOs, after all, so of course it should work that way here. This is a conventional anime series in a lot of ways, but it's a good conventional series that, if it can hold to this level of quality, I think I'll really like.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 18th October 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 26th October 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 26th October 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 2nd November 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 14th November 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - Great Rumbler - 17th November 2013

Quote:Log Horizon 6 - This show is by far the best show of the season, that's for sure! It's not close, at all.

Somebody's not been watching Kill la Kill, Nagi no Asukara, Kyousougiga, or Samurai Flamenco.

Anime Thread - 2012 - Great Rumbler - 17th November 2013

Quote:Log Horizon 6 - This show is by far the best show of the season, that's for sure! It's not close, at all.

Somebody's not been watching Kill la Kill, Nagi no Asukara, Kyousougiga, or Samurai Flamenco.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 17th November 2013

I am watching Kill la Kill. It's good, but I like Log Horizon more. Haven't watched those other three.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 22nd November 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 23rd November 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 2nd December 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 10th December 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2013

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 29th December 2013

Zetsumetsu Kigu Shoujo: Amazing Twins 1 - That was pretty good! It's too bad that this is an OVA and not a series, because I'd watch it... but instead all I can do is hope that they make more of this. This series isn't original, but it's well-made and entertaining. It's a series about a girl with superpowers, but people with special powers aren't liked, so she hides it and is a magician. Her goal is apparently to eventually make people be more okay with people with powers. She's somewhat generic, but is likeable enough, which is good. Of course though there are villainous jerks out there who want to punish people for their bias, and some of them attack our heroine. Cue battle scenes, which take up a good amount of this OVA. There's also a bit of yuribait with the main character and a friend of hers. So yeah, this was good fun all around.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 3rd January 2014

Anime Thread - 2012 - etoven - 22nd January 2014

Been watching Space Dandy..
The episode about the Boobies Punch card was just awesome..

"Space Dandy.. Hes a Dandy guy in space.."

Saw a write up on G+.. Space Dandy will never be Cowboy Bebop. Only Bebop can play smooth Jazz.. It's the law.. :)

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 22nd January 2014

I should try that series, yeah. Cowboy Bebop was good, and I quite liked Samurai Champloo.

Anime Thread - 2012 - Great Rumbler - 22nd January 2014

It's been a pretty good season so far. Space Dandy, Wizard Barristers, Nobunagun, Pupipo!, Silver Spoon, Noragami, World Conquest Zvezda, and Seitokai Yakuindomo season 2 have all been really enjoyable. Definitely a more well-rounded season than we usually get.

Oh, and there's Sakura Trick if you just wanna watch a show about girls kissing each other. Which I do.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 23rd January 2014

Yeah, I'm watching Sakura Trick, Saki S2 (of course!), D-Frag, SYD S2, and Log Horizon, and I really need to try Space Dandy too. Pretty good season for sure.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 19th August 2014

This season so far (the numbers are the episodes I've seen so far, of course) --

Hana Yamata 1-4 - This is a drama/shoujo-ai series about girls in school who form a Yosukoi (traditional Japanese dance form) team. The main character is an extremely shy girl (she's also a fan of fairy tales) who gets dragged out of her shell by a foreign girl who is an enthusiastic fan of Yosukoi, and wants to set up a team while she's in Japan. So far though, it's mostly about the problems that have kept them from getting started -- only two girls are in the team and no one else wants to join, the student council president is making things difficult for them, the other two interested girls have issues, etc. So yeah, lots of drama, to a somewhat annoying degree. Still, this is a decent series and I will keep watching it. I just hope that they can actually get the other girls to finally join the club soon! Four episodes in, and there are still only two of them, dealing with constant opposition... argh. The MC's two friends need to admit that they want to join the club already! Ep. 4 seemed to set up one of them as working through her problems, so I hope that the next episode moves that forward. Then they can work on that student council president, who the OP shows as part of the team.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 1-3 - This is a shoujo I presume. The main character is a somewhat generic girl, but she's too shy to confess to the guy she likes, so instead she says "I'm your fan", and he turns out to actually be a shoujo manga author (using a female pseudonym I believe). So she ends up being an assistant, filling in black areas in his manga. The series is about them and the other somewhat crazy characters in their school. It's amusing, most of the time, but I didn't like some of the themes in episode 3 (the new "prince" girl and the guy who likes her, I don't like how he treats her), so I don't know if I'll stick with this or not. It got off to a decent start though, and definitely is funny sometimes; it is a comedy first, potential romance second.

Himegoto 1-6 - This is a 3-minute anime about a crossdressing boy who is being forced to crossdress (and join the student council) by the three girls who are the rest of the student council. It's usually amusing, as are the mangas. I wish that this show had more than two or three minutes per episode, because it's entertaining. Of course the crossdressing guy is more feminine than the actual girls... :p

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal 1-4 - This is a remake of the first season of Sailor Moon, supposedly more based on the manga this time. I haven't read the manga, so I wouldn't know, but it's definitely a lot like the original first season of the anime... but with some changes here and there. Perhaps most obviously so far, Rei is indeed different from how she was in the original anime; this Rei seems a bit less interesting, I miss the tsundere one from the original series. Ah well. Otherwise, well, it's Sailor Moon, except with the transformation scenes in painfully mediocre CG this time. I'm not a fan, of course -- never liked Sailor Moon much -- but it's moderately amusing.

Momo Kyun Sword 1-5 - This is a fanservice series. It's set in fantasy ancient Japan, and is a retelling of the classic Momotarou story, except with a girl lead character and lots of fanservice. Well, at least it's not a harem show, that's a big plus! Momo is the main character, not some guy. There is also a evil princess rival girl who Momo regularly fights with, and various other generic monster villains, as both sides try to collect all of the pieces of the thing which shattered and was scattered all over Japan. Also, Momo's three animal companions (a monkey, pheasant, and dog, of course, as per the original story) can merge with her, to turn her into enhanced forms for better fighting ability. Yeah, it's not exactly original, but it's mostly entertaining in that fanservice action anime way. Nothing too bad here either, thankfully. On that note...

Majimoji Roromu 1-2 - THIS is bad. BAD BAD BAD, and I have most definitely dropped it. I only watched episode 2 to see how awful it really would be, and yeah, it was terrible. This show goes down the list of some of the worst TV anime tropes. So, the main character is a Nice Pervert, and also a massive White Knight of course. The main girl is a Naive Actually Hundreds Of Years Old Pseudo-loli Witch. Because of the stupid goingson of episode one, she lost her powers, and can only use them when he says so byu using a ticket from this book of tickets. If he gets through them all she gets her powers back, but this will supposedly kill him, so he tries not to... but because of how he's a white knight, of course he can't resist protecting her through ticket use, etc. I imagine in the end he'll use up all the tickets but not die, but I will most defi8nitely not be watching to see, this is a horrendously unpleasant thing to watch. Of course part of the problem is that I greatly dislike the lolicon thing as a concept regardless of how old the show "actually makes the character", but the main characters' behavior is probably even worse. This guy is the most frustratingly awful protagonist in an anime I actually watched since... I don't know what, maybe Maken-ki?

Anime Thread - 2012 - Great Rumbler - 22nd August 2014

Nozaki-kun definitely isn't romance, it's pretty much all comedy.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 22nd August 2014

Yeah, I guess you're right. The MC wishes she could confess, but she probably never will... or at least, not before the end of the series. Which surely isn't in this season of the anime, as this is an adaptation.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2014

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 18th September 2014

Anime Thread - 2012 - Dark Jaguar - 18th September 2014

So... someone tries to sexually assault someone, and it's played for laughs? Da heeeelll....

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 18th September 2014

Japan is a very culturally conservative place, far behind the West in gender equality -- and we've still got a long way to go here too, as this recent idiotic outburst of hatred on the internet is proving. If you watch much anime, you get reminded of how behind the times Japan is frequently; it's definitely the thing I like least about it.

Because, you know, in that Nozaki-kun episode, him hitting her is just how he shows that he cares!

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 22nd September 2014

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2014

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2014

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 1-3 - This is a magical girl-style show. It stars Yuki Yuna, a very protagonist kind of girl -- she's kind of dense, but good at heart and determined. She's a normal Japanese schoolgirl... but then evil creatures invade, and the ... Shinyuu-sama, whatever that is, has called her and four other girls to be heroes who have to save humanity by stopping the giant monsters and defeating their cores. To everyone else they're just the members of the Hero Club, but when time freezes, they have to save the world in another realm. When a monster invades, they are all transported to a pretty cool-looking world of crazy colors. There, they fight the monster. So far, they have been successful, and have already defeated 5 of them. The cast is mostly stereotypical, but one of the girls is pretty unique -- one is disabled, and has to use a wheelchair. Her legs were paralyzed in an accident some time ago. A girl in a wheelchair, as a main character in a show? I can't say I can remember seeing such a thing before, and it definitely makes this show stand out from others of this general heroes/magical girls-and-monsters genre. Her hero form can't move her legs either -- she uses these long paper-like arm things to maneuver around. Interesting stuff. She has sniper powers. MC girl is a physical fighter, of course. The other three are a somewhat tsun girl with strong abilities; the older girl who's the president; and said girl's younger sister. It's somewhat predictable stuff so far, but entertaining. So far this is a decent series, and I'll probably continue with it.

However, there have been many expectations that it'll change in tone and get dark. So far this has not happened; it's just magical girl and not grimdark, despite many peoples' comparisons between this show and Madoka Magica (the alternate world, the MC's costume in hero form, and some other things are reminiscent of that series), and I at least hope it stays this way! Yes, I know that the staff includes the writer of Akame ga Kill (and also the harem series He Is My Noble Master, I believe...), but... well, those two seres are quite different, and this one is different again. It's also got some people behind the Persona 4 anime or something, apparently. But I prefer this as it is to grimdark -- I dropped Madoka at episode 3 and never watched it again after that -- so I'd be happy if it stays away from that stuff, despite the obvious visual comparisons that can be made.

Overall, considering how many are expecting a dark turn, I think it'd be amusing if it doesn't to it... or if it's just minor, and nothing remotely like Madoka Magica is. If the show does go Madoka's way I'll likely stop watching, but it doesn't have to... and we got through three episodes without a Madoka ep. 3 moment, so you never know!

I Wanna Be the Twintail 1-3 - I've already said that this show is a lot of fun, but... it's a lot of fun! Twintail is a ridiculous and very amusing anime that's a homage, or takedown, of anime, I guess. That's it's strength, but also its weakness. For the most part this is a quite entertaining show, but it is mostly very generic. It feels intentionally so, like it was made to check off all those generic trope boxes, but it plays it a bit too straight to be a parody, and that's where the issue comes in for me; this show's funny, but it's got too many dumb anime tropes that it seems to take seriously for it to entirely be a parody. And other times, it both laughs at a thing and has it in the series at the same time, which is kind of odd. I imagine that they are trying to attract people who like anime with this series and keep them watching, and they've hopefully succeeded at that, but does it REALLY need to be so generic in some ways? You've got the generic tsundere childhood friend, etc.

However, most of the time this show is great fun; the complaints above are relatively minor. This is a ridiculous show that knows how absurd it is and runs with it, to quite amusing ends! The main character is a guy who loves twintails. Then aliens invade who steal the things people love from their hearts, while also loving those things that they are stealing; yeah, it's weird. So, a crazy scientist woman comes from a world that they have conquered, and gives the MC a power bracelet that turns him into a superhero twintailed girl! The guy also has a twintailed tsundere childhood friend who is somewhat violent, particularly with the scientist woman (because said woman keeps hitting on the MC). She's now joined the group as Twintail Hero #2 as of episode 3. I was hoping she'd get her power bracelet soon, and she finally has. #3 is sure to be the twintailed school president girl, who the MC saved in episode 1 but is in the OP as one of the heroes... so, well, it'll happen eventually.

The enemies are amusing guys, all completely obsessed with something -- dolls, hair, what have you. They try to steal this from people who love those things, so the power of someone who loves a thing as intensely as the MC does twintails is the perfect power to fight back against them, you see. Yeah, the plot's ridiculous, while also being stereotypical anime. As I was saying, this is the show's one weak point -- I know that by making it as it is they're going to draw in anime fans, but some more originality would have been great, beyond that absurd humor of course. Ah well; anime rarely REALLY tries to break the mold, unfortunately. And what is here, with the decent fighting, sometimes silly comedy elements, and generic and yet oh so obviously intentional anime-being-anime moments, is mostly good. Of course, I love that it's a genderswap series too, I've always liked such things, ever since Ranma! This show is no Ranma, that's for sure, but it is well worth watching for anime fans. Other people won't get it, I imagine.

(Oh, and I also wish that the MC and the other girl weren't both completely completely flat-chested... oh well. This connects to what I was saying, though -- the show is trying to be funny and absurd, but also to draw in an otaku audience and keep them watching, so it plays the tropes straighter than it perhaps could. So, MC's girl form is young-looking because scientist girl claims to like it that way, etc.)

Hi-scoool! SeHa Girl 1-3 - Girls who are living representations of the Sega Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast go on adventures in videogames in order to try to win enough points to graduate Sega School. This may sound slightly like Neptunia, but fortunately, this series isn't horrible trash like that franchise; instead, it's a constant barrage of Sega references and fun. Yes, despite the stupid title, this is a pretty good series! I like Sega consoles, they're second on my list behind Nintendo, and this is a solid, above-average anime. The three girls have good designs, and teh challenges so far have been amusing. This is a fairly simple show, with little depth and some pretty dumb elements, but it's definitely entertaining overall.

Still... really, did it HAVE to be such a dumb-looking attack that won every round in Virtua Fighter? And while for a while it was funny that Dreamcast could beat every opponent in one hit with that thing, after a while it got kind of boring... but they played it straight, all the way to the end. They missed an opportunity there for something more interesting. Ah well. Otherwise, my only complaint is that this is a 12-minute-episodes series; this would be better as a full-length series, there's plenty more they could do! This is amusing stuff, any videogame and anime fan should watch it for sure.

When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace 1-2 - This is a bad anime about a chuunibyou guy and the girls around him. He got a lame superpower (to create a dark flame, of course), while the girls got powerful ones. Beyond that, it's almost sleep-inducingly generic and bad. Generic anime sexism, generic anime plotlines, generic anime everything... and it's all done poorly, too. Don't bother with this waste of time. It's not the worst thing ever, but this is a bad series, no question.

As for Trinity Seven 1 to 3, I have watched them. Will write longer impressions separately.

Older Stuff

Sakura Trick 11-12 (End) - Finally got around to finishing one of the best animes in a while! ... Okay, it's completely one-note, and has terrible production values, but when that one note is about girls kissing, I'll give it a pass. I'd stopped watching it because the last couple of episodes before this got slightly serious and I didn't like that, but the last two are a total return to form, and are great! Haruka and Yuu kissing, light "drama" that barely deserves the term, the sadness of the passing of time as Yuu's older sister graduates high school, more Haruka and Yuu kissing... these episodes have it all. Why did people not buy this show?? We need more of it, and with an actual budget next time.

My only complaint other than the budget and lack of conclusive ending (since this isn't the end of the manga) would be that the series did continue with its theme of having Haruka not understand love. In the manga she sort of does, but they made her dumber about the subject in the anime in order to keep much of any romantic progress from happening. It's unfortunate, but in the last episode at least she tries. Great episodes despite the occasional slight frustration, overall.

High School DxD 13-14 (OVAs 1 and 2) - More fanservicey High School DxD, what else did you expect? They were okay. I'm not sure why I didn't watch these before going to the second series, but I didn't, so I'm caught up now.

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 9th December 2014

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 29th December 2014

So, I should rank the things this season that I actually finished.

1. Hi-Scoool! SeHa Girl - I was going to say Trinity Seven was show of the season, and then I watched episode 13. of this. Sniff... poor Sega. :( As the stupid new slang goes, feels. :.( Great show for anyone who likes Sega! (Yes, I like Nintendo more, but I love Sega too, they're a strong #2. Or were, rather.) Actually, anyone who likes videogames and anime at all should watch this. It's good fun stuff. Not creepy, either, unlike certain other shows (Neptunia, for one obvious example...).

2. Trinity Seven - I definitely like the Trinity Seven manga, so I was looking forward to the anime, and it didn't disappoint! This show will be high in my list of my favorite animes of 2014. I see some critical reviews of the show here by others, but anyone saying that stuff is totally wrong, Trinity Seven is great! ... Provided you've read the manga, at least. In order to speed up the pace, the anime version cut out a lot of explanations and the like that are in the manga, and it makes the anime story a bit harder to understand unless you've read the manga. Also the show hasn't yet gotten to some important points, and other things just haven't been explained at all yet even in the manga; Trinity Seven's plot relies on never telling you everything that's going on, that's for sure. I don't mind though, it's good as it is. With fun characters, some of the better writing in the genre, an interesting world, and more, Trinity Seven is one of the better harem shows for sure. The series is very much a harem show, but it breaks some genre conventions, to good effect. I particularly like how Arata doesn't constantly save the girls, outshine them in the end in every battle, etc -- the contrast between Trinity Seven and Infinite Stratos here couldn't be more clear, and it's a knockout win for Trinity Seven! Stupid Ichika's always doing that dumb stuff, but while Arata may talk that way, the writing of the series mostly stays away from it. The girls in Trinity Seven can actually hold their own, and that's a good thing. Anyway, I really, REALLY need to finally get around to writing a full review of this series, so I'll stop now. I'll just say that this anime NEEDS a second (and third, etc.) season; the way the show stops is not an ending, just a pause between chapters.

3. Infinite Stratos 2 OVA: World Purge - This was good, but it's just missing far too much. Where is the explanation for why professor girl is evil now? Why leave out the aftermath of the attack (what happened to the defeated soldiers)? Etc. What's here was good... but even if IS always forgets to mention lots of important stuff, it IS annoying. There was a lot of very amusing and fun stuff in this OVA, though, and I mostly liked it. Only other complaint: Of course Ichika has to save everyone, again. Ugh. There's another reason this isn't higher on the list.

4. I Wanna Be the Twintail - While a good series, as I've said probably every time I posted about this series, I found the constant inconsistencies annoying. I mean, I never knew which tropes the series would play straight, and which it would twist or make a joke about! It's kind of annoying. The open ending is a nice invitation to a sequel, though, and I hope it happens! Even if some elements of the show were too conventional, Twintail was a fun, entertaining show which managed to be pretty funny when it wanted to be.

The show I got next farthest in is probably Yuki Yuna, which I dropped once it got depressing. Not sure if I'll go back or not; maybe?

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 9th January 2015

Anime Thread - 2012 - A Black Falcon - 12th January 2015