Tendo City
People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario (/showthread.php?tid=6347)

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - alien space marine - 16th November 2011

Quote:The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals might be barking up the wrong mushroom.

On Monday, the controversial organization issued a press release attacking iconic Nintendo mascot Mario for wearing a 'Tanooki' suit in his latest adventure, the Nintendo 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land, which hit shelves on Sunday.

"Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur," PETA says.

The raccoon-like suit, which grants Mario the ability to glide across the screen, has been a part of the franchise since first appearing as a power-up in 1988's Super Mario Bros. 3. In the new game, Mario acquires the suit not by doing something lousy to a Tanooki, but by snagging a Super Leaf.

Still, PETA insists this encourages animal abuse.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."

To help prove their point, PETA has even commissioned a crude parody video game called "Super Tanooki Skin 2D" in which players try to re-capture their skin from a flying Mario (Warning: Kind of disturbing, and totally not fun.)

It's just the latest in a long line of PETA game complaints. In 2008 they went after Cooking Mama for not being a vegetarian, while just last year they parodied challenging downloadable platform hit Super Meat Boy for starring a piece of raw meat.

Nintendo has yet to comment, though we're pretty sure it will sound like a hand slapping a forehead.

UPDATE: Nintendo has now responded, via Eurogamer:

"Mario often takes the appearance of certain animals and objects in his games. These have included a frog, a penguin, a balloon and even a metallic version of himself. These lighthearted and whimsical transformations give Mario different abilities and make his games fun to play. The different forms that Mario takes make no statement beyond the games themselves."

link

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - Sacred Jellybean - 17th November 2011

Tanooki fur is primarily worn by adults, who don't play Mario. Unless you count cosplaying people, but c'mon, they can't afford expensive fur, and would probably side with PETA in not wanting to harm animals.

PETA's bored as hell, someone find something for them to do. There are legitimate animal ethics concerns that they should be engaging in, not this nonsense. But then again, it is PETA.

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - Great Rumbler - 17th November 2011

But PETA is okay with Mario jumping on turtles?

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - Dark Jaguar - 17th November 2011

PETA are extremists. The humane society is where legitimate animal cruelty concerns are handled.

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - etoven - 17th November 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:PETA are extremists. The humane society is where legitimate animal cruelty concerns are handled.
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:154583" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s08e08-douche-and-turd">Douche and Turd</a></b><br/>Get More: <a style="display: block; position: relative; top: -1.33em; float: right; font-weight: bold; color: #ffcc00; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/">SOUTH<br/>PARK</a><a href="http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/episodes/s08e08-douche-and-turd">more...</a></p></div></div>

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - A Black Falcon - 17th November 2011

PETA wanted attention with this, they got it. Sure, most people playing Mario 3D Land won't be buying tanooki fur, but it brought attention to the issue, so bringing it up makes sense...

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - alien space marine - 17th November 2011

Most people outside Japan have never heard of tanooki racoon dogs much less the sale of their fur pelts, PETA could be causing a Barbra Streisand effect by doing this. "Mario's Tanooki costume is not even really a fur suite its a magical metamorphosis just like Lycanthropy .

I am all for conservation and laws against willfully malicious animal cruelty, The "animal rights" movement is delusional & irrational in my opinion, This movement tends to attract "misanthropes" who hate humanity and seem to be overly-hypersensitive towards the treatment of poultry & livestock but completely insensitive and lacking in empathy towards people!!

Giving rights to animals to the point of wanting to make them equal in value to humans is sheer madness, Animals have no capacity or potential capacity for reciprocity nor can they comprehend much less adhere to man made laws since they are not and can never be a real member of our society that works votes, pays taxes & obeys the law of the land , While predators would be considered blameless for killing people and other animals.

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - Dark Jaguar - 17th November 2011

Let me put it another way. I have no reason to even believe what PETA says, since they are known liars as well. This sort of thing may actually be a problem, but PETA is not a reliable source.

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - lazyfatbum - 24th November 2011

Back the fuck up. Tanookies are REAL? "RACOON DOGS"?? Dogs with THUMBS? dog-sized FERRETS? HUGE FERRETS?

Quote:During the Kamakura and Muromachi eras, some stories began to include more sinister tanuki. The Otogizōshi story of "Kachi-kachi Yama" features a tanuki that clubs an old lady to death and serves her to her unknowing husband as "old lady soup".

okay wait

Quote:Tanuki may be shown with their testicles flung over their backs like travellers' packs, or using them as drums.

hey

Quote:A common schoolyard song in Japan: "Tan-tan-tan, tanuki's bollocks ring. The wind stops blowing but they swing, swing, swing."

WHAT AM I READING? i thought you said they were "large testicled" because they were up against PETA and i was like "haha... testicles" but THIS? I dont even have an unders--

[Image: Yoshitoshi_Rainy_Day_Tanuki.jpg]

oh FUCK JAPAN.

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - etoven - 25th November 2011

lazyfatbum Wrote:Back the fuck up. Tanookies are REAL? "RACOON DOGS"?? Dogs with THUMBS? dog-sized FERRETS? HUGE FERRETS?

okay wait

hey

WHAT AM I READING? i thought you said they were "large testicled" because they were up against PETA and i was like "haha... testicles" but THIS? I dont even have an unders--

[Image: Yoshitoshi_Rainy_Day_Tanuki.jpg]

oh FUCK JAPAN.
Lazy is living proof that absolutely any image can be found on Google image search.

People for enlarged testicled animals VS Mario - alien space marine - 25th November 2011

[Image: Tanuki01_960.jpg]

In Japanese mythology they have magic scrotum's, Yes I created that parody of PETA's acronym with that fully in mind.