Tendo City
Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? (/showthread.php?tid=6316)

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 16th September 2011

They sure seem to be trying to! Tampa's only three games behind the Sox now, have beaten us four games straight now, and they're leading today's game already in just the first inning...

Honestly, at this point, if the Red Sox can't beat the Rays at home, they probably don't deserve to be going to the playoffs... though they could anyway, because the Red Sox have seven games against Baltimore in the rest of the season, while the Rays have seven against the Yankees. But we'll see.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 16th September 2011

That would be pretty sweet if the Sox blew it.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 16th September 2011

They managed to hang on and win today's game, that's a good sign for being able to hang on and get to the playoffs... but with a pitching staff this iffy, I don't know how far into the postseason they'll get... hopefully farther than it seems like they will at the moment. :)

As for the NL, it's disappointing that the Giants fell apart and won't be going to the playoffs again. They are, of course, my favorite NL team.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 16th September 2011

Nothing gladdens my heart more than suicidally-depressed Boston sports fans.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 17th September 2011

Well they lost again today. :(

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - etoven - 17th September 2011

We have a team here that are also the RedSox, there a franchise from the major league team. Complete with mascots lefty and righty sock..

Anyway, long story short... They blow ass, out their ass. Most people come to the games for the beer really, no one expects them to win.. I think maybe they won once, and the town celebrated in the streets for nine months. It's sad we are have to call ourselves the red sox, because unlike our parent team we suck ass. It's a shame we have to call ourselves the Red Socks...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 18th September 2011

Eight runs, four earned? Saltalamaccia lost this one more than anyone else, I think...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 24th September 2011

Well, the Sox lost again today, and Tampa won. The margin's just 1 1/2 games now, so basically the Sox need to win at least one of the two games tomorrow (it's a doubleheader, making up for yesterday's canceled game) if they want to make the playoffs. At the moment, I'm kind of expecting them to fail, with how miserably badly they've been playing...

On the NL side The Phillies have been awful for the past week two (eight straight losses, including two today), but they at least didn't start losing until AFTER clinching their division. And yeah, the Giants are done. Too bad. :(

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 24th September 2011

lol 5-17 in September lol

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2011

Apparently, that 120-loss 1960s Mets team had a 6-18 September, so the Sox have a worse record than one of the worst teams of the modern era, in September that is... however, for the 4 1/2 months before that the Red Sox had the best record in the majors (after their 2-10 start, that is).

So yeah, it's kind of strange, really, given how good they were... I mean, with how totally they've melted down this month. The starting pitching has been terrible -- apparently, so far in September the Sox starting pitchers are averaging less than five innings per game and have the highest ERA of any starting pitching staff in the league this month too, I think. The defense has been bad -- they have 20-something errors this month, plus multiple other major mistakes that probably should have been errors. The relievers have been overworked and have mostly been struggling, with Daniel Bard having four losses, and even Papelbon blew a save. There's one good reliever, but the rest... yeah. The offense has been mixed too, with a couple of 18-run games but then a lot where they barely manage anything, like tonight. So yeah, it's really been a failure on all levels.

Some people are trying to blame it all on the starting pitching -- "if we hadn't had so many starting pitcher injuries it'd all have been fine" -- but while those injuries, plus others like Youkilis's, are key, they aren't the whole reason. I mean, Jon Lester, who's supposed to be really good, has had three awful starts in a row now, including today's 2 2/3 inning, 8-run disaster, and Beckett got the loss, and gave up 6 runs, in his last start too, though he did go over 7 innings... the first time a Red Sox started had managed that since mid August.

So yeah, it's been bad. :(

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 25th September 2011

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ohrEZzHx0K8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I drink your tears. :D

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2011

Yes! The Red Sox lost game 1 of the doubleheader 6-2, with more awful play again costing them the game, and Tampa won, so the stakes were high for game two, a loss meant going into the final series of the year tied with Tampa (the Angels lost), and John Lackey was pitching game two. Hopes were not high...

But Lackey actually had a decent start -- 6+ innings, 4 runs given up, the Sox shut down the Yankees after giving up that fourth run, and though it took fourteen innings, at last they finally managed to win the game with a 3-run homer from Jacoby Ellsbury. Pretty awesome stuff, he improved his case for league MVP yet again. :) We might manage to struggle into the postseason after all... it'll all depend on this last series, with the Sox v. Baltimore and the Yankees v. Tampa.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Fittisize - 25th September 2011

Oh please, this the one single bright spot in an absolutely pitiful September. It took them fourteen innings to win a single game, and on a day where they actually lost one earlier. Keep in mind Tampa still gained ground on them today. They were bound to win one eventually, but this one wasn't pretty. They're not playing good baseball. They've lost it. They've lost their stuff. There's nothing to suggest that they won't absolutely crash-and-burn in the final series in much the same way they've shown they're capable of doing the entire month before this.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 26th September 2011

I don't know, perhaps things will happen that way, or perhaps they'll be inspired by the hard-fought victory, play well in the final series, and make the playoffs...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 26th September 2011

Or not. Ah well...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Fittisize - 26th September 2011

I hope they're tied at the end of the season. The 1-game playoff is one of the more exciting events in baseball.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 27th September 2011

[Image: tumblr_lje2iulm9f1qhcm62o1_500.jpg]

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Fittisize - 28th September 2011

Well, THAT was certainly interesting. I guess to answer the question posed in the title of this thread: Yes.

I know I asked for a one-game playoff but what I witnessed tonight was far and away the most exciting baseball action that I've ever seen in my entire life. It's simply beyond words to begin to describe how amazingly all the events unfolded. You couldn't make a movie out of this, nobody would ever believe it.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 28th September 2011

Yeah, it's the kind of thing where if it was in a movie, people would criticize it for how unbelievable it is, no question. I mean... I mean, BOTH leagues going down to the final day? BOTH wild card leaders losing despite being ahead entering the ninth inning of the final game, in games they needed to win? Three of the four deciding games going to multiple extra innings? Both teams trailing the wild card leaders making up 8 1/2 to 9 game Sept. 1 deficits to make the playoffs?

Yeah right...

Also, in both leagues, the second and third place postseason teams (that is, the two division winners who weren't their league's wins leader) went down to the final game in determining which of them had the better record, too, so no playoff matches were set yet until after the final day. Wow.

As for the game, the Sox really played atrocious baseball, particularly offensively. They blew chance after chance after chance to score more runs -- Aviles getting caught stealing while Jacoby Ellsbury was up (WHY WERE YOU RUNNING?), Ortiz getting thrown out at second on a single he had do business trying to turn into a double, Lavarnway going 0-5, that key play in the 8th where Pedroia got thrown out at the plate (that third base coach has got to go, he should NOT have been waving him around.)... the only reason the Sox weren't losing long before the 9th was because Baltimore is a pretty bad team, pretty much, I think. Oh, and because apart from Papelbon the Sox pitching was uncommonly good, for September. Well, he sure made up for that.

You know, the Red Sox didn't manage to win two games in a row through the entire month of September? The loss on the final day ensured that streak would conclude successfully, too...

In conclusion, I hope the Yankees get swept in the first round, and the Rays too. Failing that, maybe it'd be nice to see the Rays win the world series, to show up the Yankees for their obvious, blatant efforts to lose all three games of this final Yankees-Rays series in order to get the Rays as the wild card team instead of the Sox... oh, sure, they tried here and there, but overall it was clear the Yankees were not trying to win.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Fittisize - 28th September 2011

Yankees had home-field wrapped up long ago! They gotta rest their players for the playoffs. Why should they care about what's essentially a meaningless game? Having said that, the series wasn't meaningless. Given the fact that the Red Sox were the worst team in baseball the month of September and Tampa one of the best, you'd think that they'd prefer to potentially come up against the weaker team in the playoffs. Who wants to get swept in the final series and then give the winners a massive momentum boost? A huge challenge awaits the Yankees if they meet them in round two. And Tiexera still hit a grande slam tonight. The Yankees ran up the score 7-0. As if they intentionally gave up a two-out strike-two home run in the bottom of the ninth to a pinch-hitter batting .190. Like they wanted Longoria to hit two dingers (btw his walk-off looked a lot like Aaron Boone's walk-off in the 2003 ALCS). It was the Red Sox who looked like they weren't trying to win, not the Yankees.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 29th September 2011

The Red Sox were 7-20 in September, they really have no one to blame for their early exit from the season but themselves.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 29th September 2011

Yeah, it took a real team effort, terrible play from almost everyone, bad luck, injuries, and more... :(

Even though I didn't think we'd get too far into the the postseason, not after the month we were having, still, to have it end like THAT is so, so sad... :bummed:

At least we should have gone into game 163 and lost to the Rays again to end the season or something like that.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 29th September 2011

Here you go, ABF:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oEEwGZixc6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, don't know why youtube suddenly can't be embedded?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEEwGZixc6Y&feature=player_embedded#!

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 30th September 2011

[Image: 317280_10150833963665244_708500243_20933...4176_n.jpg]

:D

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2011

I admit, I laughed a bit at that video in the first of those posts.

That shirt is just stupid though.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2011

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110929&content_id=25389042&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos

Well, Terry Francona's gone. I don't think he's mostly to blame here, but either the Sox disagree (or agree but want to make a change anyway) or he didn't want to come back anyway, clearly. I wonder who they'll get next...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 3rd October 2011

IT NEVER STOPS BEING FUNNY

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ruA29vo7Zuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 4th October 2011

Here's hoping the Yankees get eliminated tomorrow, that'd be awesome to see... :)

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 4th October 2011

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpkVJTXJ5xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lol Pretty awesome stuff... :)

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 4th October 2011

Rangers moving on from the first round for the second time in history!

Darnit, Yankees, why do you usually manage to win the important games... :(

Nice to see the Rays lose, though, good job there. :)

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Fittisize - 4th October 2011

Congratulations, Rays, on making the MLB playoffs! There's really nothing Red Sox fans can say to take that away from you because unlike the Red Sox, you didn't miss the playoffs! You made the playoffs! Your season lasted longer, plain and simple! Anybody cheering against you whose team didn't make the playoffs is entitled to say absolutely nothing in regards to those who did. They can just sit their quietly and not look like sore losers! As for the Yankees, Red Sox fans are hoping to death that you lose, but you also made the playoffs! Like the Rays, you finished better than the Red Sox in the regular season! How pathetic it must be to cheer for the Red Sox! Fans of that team expend more energy cheering against other teams than they do cheering for their own!!

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 6th October 2011

Yes! The Yankees are gone! Bounce Bounce It doesn't get much better in baseball than that, apart from the Red Sox winning...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 6th October 2011

Rangers and Tigers, huh? Cool.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2011

Philadelphia couldn't even make it out of the first round. Lol

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2011

And this year's unbelievably thrilling postseason continues, I can't ever remember a year like this... first there was that crazy final month, and final day, of the regular season, and now this... three of the four division series races went to five games, and all three of those games were low scoring, one-run games fought hard all the way to the end? Just amazing stuff, just amazing. And the upsets continue too. I mean, how many people guessed that the Red Sox, Yankees, and Phillies all wouldn't even make it to the Championship Series this year? (Perhaps also the Braves, but they have a bit more mixed record so them losing might not be quite as surprising. Hypothetically losing in the ALDS I mean, missing the postseason was quite surprising.)

So yeah, the final four is Rangers v. Tigers and Brewers v. Cardinals. Who'd have guessed. And two of those four teams have never won a world series before, either (Rangers and Brewers). Only the Cardinals have won one recently (the Tigers last won in 1984).

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2011

Bah... Rangers are in the World Series, again? I was really hoping Detroit would win the ALCS. Oh well... here's hoping the Brewers come back, because Rangers-Cardinals was the matchup I least wanted to see, of the four teams in the Championship Serieses.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Great Rumbler - 15th October 2011

Rangers take World Series. Write it down.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - etoven - 16th October 2011

Great Rumbler Wrote:Rangers take World Series. Write it down.
Write this down.. I predict the Rangers will loose game 1, because Michael Young was behind the stands screwing a field mouse instead of hitting the ball.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 16th October 2011

If it's Rangers v. Cardinals I guess I might root for the Rangers, because the Cardinals have won the World Series ten times (more than anyone other than the Yankees) while the Rangers never have won, but if the Brewers manage a comeback I'll be rooting for them... that would be a kind of interesting series, two teams which have never won before. :)

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 19th October 2011

Bah, Cardinals won. Close game, though...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 20th October 2011

2-1 Rangers... wow, impressive 9th inning comeback. :)

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Fittisize - 22nd October 2011

Bah! I don't know who to cheer for! The Rangers, I guess. There's just something about the Cardinals that I plain don't like. I wish it was the Brewers in-stead though. The Brewers got personality. Like the closer John Axford who styles his moustache like Rollie Fingers and once struck out 19 batters in a 7-inning game pitching for the Melville Millionaires in the Saskatchewan Baseball League (Terry Puhl who played fifteen MLB seasons is from that town and that's how Axford got his name out). Or Nyjer Morgan who once-upon-a-time was not a bad hockey player and played for the Regina Pats (also Saskatchewan!!!) in the Western Hockey League. That's a big fucking deal. And so bizarre! What a fantastically talented athlete, and how the hell did he even make is way to Regina in the first place and play at such a high level? I like Nyjer Morgan and all the crazy shit he does, like dropping F-Bombs on national TV after getting the game-winning RBI in the first round of the playoffs. Or how about big fat Prince Fielder who disowned his goddamn father? Listen, the Brewers have lots of character guys, is what I'm trying to say. That team has personality. I see no personality on the Cards. Or even the Rangers for that matter. But I hope it's a good series. But I'm quite upset that the Brewers lost.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 22nd October 2011

Yeah, I was definitely hoping the Brewers would make it too... too bad. And as for the Rangers, the Cards just won 16-7, and are up 2-1 in the series... hopefully Texas can even things again.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 23rd October 2011

Well, that was a pretty great game. Texas shut out the Cardinals, limiting them to only two hits, while their started Holland pitched 8 1/3 very good innings... great work there, impressive recovery from the day before for sure.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 27th October 2011

Woah, that has got to be one of the craziest World Series games in a long time, no question... 10-9 Cardinals win in 11 innings, in a game where they had to come back from two run deficits TWICE, in both the 9th and 10th innings (after the Rangers got two in the top of the 10th)? And both times, they were down to their final strike before they made the game-tying hit, before winning it with a home run in the 11th? Unbelievable, just unbelievable. Amazing game. It was messy, though -- there were five or six errors between the two teams, that's quite a few...

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Weltall - 28th October 2011

The moral of the story is, don't be a team ABF roots for.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - Dark Jaguar - 29th October 2011

My mom says on a whim she started watching Base's Ball last night, and it seems to have really brought out that competitive spirit of her's.

Will the Red Sox blow it and miss the playoffs? - A Black Falcon - 29th October 2011

Weltall Wrote:The moral of the story is, don't be a team ABF roots for.
It seems so this year, yes.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:My mom says on a whim she started watching Base's Ball last night, and it seems to have really brought out that competitive spirit of her's.
My mom doesn't watch baseball (or any other sports) on TV, but we do go to actual (AA) baseball games once or twice a season, and she enjoys that. She likes scoring over pitcher's duels though. :)