Tendo City
Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does (/showthread.php?tid=630)

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - OB1 - 8th May 2003

From http://www.gamesarefun.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1052410291,22216,]Games Are Fun:

Quote:Namco withdraws merger proposal with Sega

After Sega and Sammy decided not to merge, it appears Namco has also had a change of heart over the whole affair.

Namco withdrew its offer for a merger this morning, after Sega and Sammy broke off merger talks.

"Sega told us on Thursday that it was not in a situation to give a specific answer to the proposal. And we decided that it is not the right time to proceed with the merger discussions," a Namco press release stated.

Sega is apparently now searching for more buisness opportunities.

Source: Forbes Magazine

Posted by unclethursday on 5.8.2003

Oh man... please don't tell me that the Microsoft rumors are true... it would suck so badly if they bought out Sega.

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - A Black Falcon - 8th May 2003

That would be very, very bad...

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Geno - 8th May 2003

They'd better not. I was afraid they'd do stuff like this as soon as they entered the video gaming industry, and they already got Rare. God forbid their conquest continues and they end up monopolizing another industry.

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Darunia - 8th May 2003

Where's your god NOW!

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - A Black Falcon - 8th May 2003

They don't anywhere NEAR monopolize PC gaming though and they've been in that industry for a long time...

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Darunia - 8th May 2003

Good point...but that doesn't mean that they won't try for this one. The acquisition of Rare was a death blow to a lot of hardcore Nintendo values; Rare made at least half of the next N64 games. If they can take Rare they can take the market. Sega is the next step...and if GameCube doesn't stop lagging, perhaps one day it'll only be Sony vs. Microsoft.

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Great Rumbler - 8th May 2003

Seeing how Sega games on the Xbox really don't sell that well, I just can't see them being bought out by MS. They'd do much better merging with Sammy or Namco.

There's also the matter of the X-Box being practically dead in Japan, so it would be kind of strange for a Japanese company to make games just for the western market. Like Tecmo... bad example.

Who knows? Maybe Sega will be bought out my Nintendo? I can dream, can't I?

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Great Rumbler - 8th May 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Who knows? Maybe Sega will be bought out my Nintendo? I can dream, can't I?

As much as I'd like to see that happening, the chance aren't very good.

Dream crusher.

Frylock: Wait a minute? Who unionized?

Ghost of Christmas Past: I don't know...maybe your mama!

Hahaha, that was a funny ep. What a hilarious show.

*ABF comes in*

ABF: Yeah, if you like dumb humor! Where's the story? Where's the continuity?? Why are they food products??

*has no idea what show you are talking about*

I probably haven't seen it anyway so I wouldn't judge it. :)

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - EdenMaster - 8th May 2003

He's talking about Aqua Teen Hunger Force, good show, but Sealab 2021 is funnier.

I like them about equally now. Either I've opened up to it more, the show has gotten better, or both.

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2003

I love those shows. It's my favorite brand of comedy, the insane kind!

Yeah! I'm sure you'd love Steven Chow's movies since they're also of the nonsense kind (that's actually what that particular sub-genre is called in Hong Kong--nonsense comedy). Ask GR.

Oh crap... I hope this doesn't mean what I think it does - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2003

You mean like that movie with the family running through the grass that you had in your sig?

What's the name of one of those movies? I'll head up to a Suncoast or something and see if they have it.

Nonsense? Sure it's insane, but it all makes PERFECT sense.

What's not to understand about a robot from the future, where back in 1974 a war between man and machine ravaged the land, but now, it hasn't had happened, it will only have had happened in the future? And then there was the great savaging, of the land of Bill.

Their nonsense comedies are the same as our insane comedies. The words are interchangable in this situation.

And no, that sig was from this insane Japanese comedy/musical called "Happiness of the Katakuris". None of Steven Chow's movies have made it to the stated yet, although Miramax might release Shaolin Soccer in the states sometime this year. Just don't watch it, okay? They cut out half an hour from the movie (to make it more kid-friendly), completely changed the wonderful score into a shitty mix of techno and rap, and then of course dubbed all of the voices.

Your best bet would to buy the official HK DVD (playable on all DVD players) which is quite good. It has English subs, of course and it's very cheap.

Master Shake: I should not crawl, so that a child may live.

Frylock: What?

Master Shake: Well that's what it does!

Romulox: Look, I'm better than you, okay? I just am.

Shake: Whoa, that's cool. What's that?

Romulox: What's it look like, dude? It's a grappling hook. Where
you been, man?

Meatwad: What's wrong with your elbow?

Romulox: Oh, you didn't get that surgery. I'm sorry.

Meatwad: We don't have insurance.

Romulox: Only two people in the world have the Easy-Flow
Elbow, and one of them happens to be named Bruce Willis.

Shake: (to Happy Time Harry) This is a magic cliff here, like in The Highlander. So you will become the Highlander, and you'll roam the earth forever *trying* to kill yourself, but you won't be able to, because you'll be immortal! Won't *that* suck, little man?

Meatwad: Well, actually, that sounds kind of cool.

Shake: Yeah, it does.

Meatwad: Then I'm gonna do it.

Shake: No you're not! *I'm* doing it!

Frylock: Shake, wait! The Highlander was just a movie, I mean-

Shake: Oh, Frylock. The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

BTW there might be an Adult Swim DVD release sometime this year.

I hope they do, becuase that would be awesome!

Inignot: You and your third dimension.

Frylock: What about it?

Inignot: Oh, nothing, it's cute. We have five.

[Pause]

Err: Thousand.

Inignot: Yes, five thousand.

Err: Don't question it!

Frylock: Oh, yeah? Well, I only see two.

Inignot: Well, that sounds like a personal problem.