Tendo City
Just for the hell of it.... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Just for the hell of it.... (/showthread.php?tid=626)

Just for the hell of it.... - Fittisize - 6th May 2003

Name some of your favourite movies.

Mine, in no particular order:

-Canadian Bacon, John Candy's last film released posthumously in which he plays an American.
-The Ring
-Two LotR movies
-Sphere
-5 Star Wars movies
-Clerks
-Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
-Any movie by M. Night Shylaman
-Most movies by Kevin Smith (other that what I mentioned)
-Happy Gilmore
-Bulletproof
-Don't Be a Menace

It was a snow day today. :( (that's right, in May)

Just for the hell of it.... - Weltall - 6th May 2003

As Good As It Gets
Spirited Away
Metropolis
Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs
The Shining
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The Matrix
The Patriot
We Were Soldiers
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers (wasn't a movie but should count anyway)

Just to name a few.

Just for the hell of it.... - Fittisize - 6th May 2003

Oh yeah...I forgot The Matrix

Just for the hell of it.... - OB1 - 6th May 2003

In no particular order:

-Seven Samurai
-Red Beard
-Yojimbo
-Ikiru
-Throne of Blood
-Stray Dog
-Star Wars episodes 1,2,4-6
-Drunken Master 1 & 2
-Miracles
-Once Upon a Time in China 1 & 2
-Ichi the Killer
-Happiness of the Katakuris
-Indiana Jones trilogy
-Throne of Blood
-Armor of God 1 & 2
-Project A
-Police Story 1 & 2
-the Young Master
-Tai Chi Master
-Shaolin Soccer
-Waterboys
-Iron Monkey
-In the Mood for Love
-Fallen Angels
-Chungking Express
-Hero
-Unbreakable
-Signs

Shit, this is gonna take forever. That's just a few.

Just for the hell of it.... - Dark Jaguar - 7th May 2003

Yeah I make up words too.

Just for the hell of it.... - Fittisize - 7th May 2003

It's ANOTHER snow day today. Jesus, how am I gonna do track and soccer with all this fricken' snow in MAY?

Add: John Q

Just for the hell of it.... - A Black Falcon - 7th May 2003

I really don't know... other than all the Star Wars movies and the Lord of the Rings movies that is...

Just for the hell of it.... - Laser Link - 7th May 2003

I wish I had a snow day in May. It snowed just a little while ago, but nothing stuck. :(

Mission Impossible 1
The LotR series
The Stupids
Uh, the Pokémon series

I don't know, I don't really watch a lot of movies.

Just for the hell of it.... - OB1 - 7th May 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Yeah I make up words too.

What?

Futurama quote.

Just for the hell of it.... - LukeIsTerrified - 7th May 2003

Sort of in order.

High Fidelity
Annie Hall
This is Spinal Tap
Memento
Rain Man
The Godfather
Taxi Driver
Fargo
L.A. Confidential
Swingers
Being John Malkovich
The Usual Suspects
Say Anything...
Pulp Fiction
12 Monkeys
Sling Blade

Just for the hell of it.... - Great Rumbler - 7th May 2003

Not in any particular order:

-All Star Wars movies
-Indiana Jones Trilogy
-The Matrix
-Princess Mononoke
-Metropolis
-Spirited Away
-Fellowship of the Rings
-The Two Towers
-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
-Shaolin Soccer
-God of Cookery
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
-Iron Monkey

Hey it's good two see three great HK movies in your list. I forgot to put two of those in mine. Have you seen any of the Once Upon a Time in China movies? Or the Drunken Masters?

No, but my brother has Drunken Master. I'll try to get it from him sometime and watch it.

That is one of the best martial arts movies ever made, along with DM 2 (Legend of Drunken Master in the states--dubbed and rescored :( ) .

Drunken Master was funny yes, but best martial arts movie ever made? Where is the deep compelling story?

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Where is the deep compelling story?

Is that you, ABF?

You see DJ, a martial arts movie is defined by its martial arts choreography. A good story is always a nice welcome (as seen in the Once Upon A Time in China movies and Hero), but it's definitely not needed to make it a great martial arts flick. Both Drunken Master movies have incredible martial arts choreography (performed by real martial artists, not hopeless messes like all of the Matrix people) and that's what counts. And Drunken Master 2 is the best martial arts movie ever made. DM is still awesome, but DM 2 has it beat in terms of choreography. The only other movie that comes close to it is Fist of Legend (Jet Li).

Um, alright then. I guess that's why I don't watch those movies that often. I'm not in it for the visual flare or the fighting.

Rolleyes

I've seen a few martial arts movies... they were alright but nothing that makes me think "oh wow thats so great"... cool stunts and stuff, but I wouldn't put them on any 'best movies' list.

Well that just means that you can't appreciate the beauty of human physical excellence. That's alright.

Just for the hell of it.... - Dark Lord Neo - 7th May 2003

You got a snow day?
They still sent us to school even with around 20cm of snow on the road

Who are you talking to?

Just for the hell of it.... - Laser Link - 7th May 2003

It's good to see that OB1 isn't focused only on himself. ;)

Well excuuuuse me for not noticing that little comment.

Rolleyes

He mentioned it in two sepearate posts... I wouldn't call it that minor... :)

I'm only paying attention to other's movie lists, smarty pants.

Too much to hope for you to actually read the posts I guess.

If I were to carefully read every single post here I'd never leave home. Like you. You never leave home (or so you told me). Some people like to do other things. And before you mention my post count, remember the whole not-reading-every-single-post part I just brought up.

Just for the hell of it.... - alien space marine - 8th May 2003

The Matrix
Starwars orginal trilology
Starwars episode I and II
LOTR
Xmen 1-2
Alien series
Billy maderson
Big daddy
Angry management
Startrek IV
Startrek VIII
Startrek II
Startrek VII
Arnald Swartzenagger movies.

Just for the hell of it.... - OB1 - 8th May 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot about adding a bunch of Trek movies to my list.

Just for the hell of it.... - A Black Falcon - 8th May 2003

Yeah, Trek 2, 4, 6, and 8 are all quite good... they might show up in a list. But the first bunch of slots are full of Star Wars and LOTR.

I didn't like either LotR movie enough to add it to my list. Good movies, but nothing that I'd want to see more than once or twice.

More evidence you're delusional! :)

I honestly don't see what's so incredible about the 'rings movies. They're good fun, but the story just isn't that interesting to me, the action isn't that great, and I really don't care about the characters. The cinematography is wonderful and it's a fun movie, but there's not much there for me to love. Like, yes, but not not love.

You don't like Tolkien???? The Lord of the Rings is the greatest fantasy series evef... and it created the whole genre as we know it today. Amazing series... made into phenominal movies. Great story, characters... "fun movie" is just wrong. "Fun" movies are small, light ones... LOTR is MUCH, MUCH more than "fun". I'd say its insulting to refer to it that way.

Just for the hell of it.... - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2003

Lord of the Rings has one of the best stories I've ever read! I mean, it's simply incredible! Sheesh, pretty much every single word has this depth to it that is hard to match. The argument between Sauroman and Gandalf after the trees tear down Sauroman's tower alone is FAR deeper than what they say alone would suggest. Even the naming has meaning, with Sauroman's name just being an extension of Sauron.

While games rely on good gameplay and all other things must enhance it or emphasize that aspect, movies rely soley on good story and all things must enhance or emphasize that aspect. That's why I don't go to many movies. Movies always come in "phases". Start of the year, all the movies are romantic comedies (read: the blood of still-born demons spilled onto a camera), then it breaks away into cheesy action movies or cheesy sci-fi stuff (read: The Core, the most horrendously stupid thing I've ever seen, and all those other cheesy "save the president from them, oh, no, it's the PRESIDENT who's REALLY the bad guy!", then during the summer, solid comedies. Not so bad here, I enjoy a laugh or two, though they DO give away ALL the good jokes during the previews these days. When fall comes around, nothing but cheesy horror movies (final destination was just plain STUPID, no need to see the second one). Eventually, the end of the year comes along, and at long last, it's time to release a few decent movies, like Return of the King. It's going to be a long year, but this pattern hasn't been broken since I discovered it 3 years ago, meaning that of course Return of the King will rock just like the last two volumes.

I'm sorry, but I just didn't find the movies nearly as deep or interesting as so many others do. I have read a few Tolkien books and remember them being extremely good, so perhaps there was something lost in the translation from the books to the movies?

And ABF says that I have a hard time dealing with different opinions. Hypocrite.

Just for the hell of it.... - Fittisize - 8th May 2003

Shit...I forgot Pulp Fiction. How could I have forgotten that movie? Definently one of my top favourites.

I really hope that Kill Bill turns out good. But it's just a damn shame that Tarantino diidn't use Loh Lieh for the role of the old kung fu master. He's supposedly a great admirer of Lieh and even called him the greatest classic Kung Fu actor who ever lived, but he didn't use him for Kill Bill. Too bad, too, since Lieh died just a few months ago. Kill Bill would have been the perfect final movie for him.

No movie can ever hope to be as deep or comprehensive as the book if the book was first. The closest I've ever seen was Gettysburg... and that admittedly got really close. But not perfect. And that took 4 hours to tell a 250 page book.

As for LOTR, these are 3 hour movies covering incredibly deep books. Anyone who hopes for the books' equal will be dissapointed. Inevitably. But if all you expect is a phenominal movie, it succeeds past any possible expectations...

Just for the hell of it.... - Great Rumbler - 8th May 2003

Kill Bill looks like it's going to be a pretty awesome movie. Do you know when it is supposed to come out?

Winter.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
No movie can ever hope to be as deep or comprehensive as the book if the book was first. The closest I've ever seen was Gettysburg... and that admittedly got really close. But not perfect. And that took 4 hours to tell a 250 page book.

As for LOTR, these are 3 hour movies covering incredibly deep books. Anyone who hopes for the books' equal will be dissapointed. Inevitably. But if all you expect is a phenominal movie, it succeeds past any possible expectations...

I liked Fellowship enough to buy the big four-disc DVD set and I'll probably buy the TT set as well, but I still think that the Rings movies are overrated. I think they're good, but not the best movies ever like so many people suggest.

Has there ever been a better fantasy movie/movie series? Didn't think so.

You mean wizards and dragons type fantasy? Not what I know of.

No, I mean fantasy with lasers and spaceships...

Star Wars is more fantasy than it is sci-fi. The technology used in the movies is science fiction, but the whole theme and story is pure fantasy. It's also part Samurai movie.