Tendo City
The Lion King being remade in 3d - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Lion King being remade in 3d (/showthread.php?tid=6209)

The Lion King being remade in 3d - A Black Falcon - 28th May 2011

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/27/lion-kings-coming-back-to-theaters-in-3-d/?hpt=Sbin

How odd... I really wonder how well this is going to work, taking a drawn movie and then trying to go back and redo it into 3d... I have doubts about how good the 3d will be, for sure. Still though, if it's actually good it'd be pretty interesting, The Lion King was probably the peak of modern Disney animation. Aladdin is my personal favorite, but The Lion King is probably the peak, animation-wise.

The Lion King being remade in 3d - Dark Jaguar - 29th May 2011

Hmm... I too have a lot of doubts. Will it be cel shaded 3D? If not, I get the impression that it'll have the "cardboard cutout" look to it that non-native 3D movies tend to have, which isn't a good look.

The Lion King being remade in 3d - Great Rumbler - 29th May 2011

It'll be far easier to take an animated movie and convert it to 3D than a live-action movie.

The Lion King being remade in 3d - etoven - 29th May 2011

There's filters in Adobe Aftereffects that can do it in about 5 minutes, automatically. It's not really a big deal.

The same thing is being done with Ghost in the Shell: S. A. C. Solid State Society movie from a couple years back.

The Lion King being remade in 3d - A Black Falcon - 29th May 2011

Really, it's not that hard to do? But how good would it look? I mean unless things are made in 3d it seems like it'd be pretty tough to do well...

I haven't exactly seen the results for myself, but this doesn't seem like some super-difficult thing to do since they can basically "refilm" an animated movie.

How does it tell what depth level it needs for each individual pixel? How does it know that Simba's nose should be sticking out and not caved in?

The Lion King being remade in 3d - etoven - 29th May 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:How does it tell what depth level it needs for each individual pixel? How does it know that Simba's nose should be sticking out and not caved in?
The filter isn't perfect, but what it does is assume the image is drawn using proper perspective and renders the image based on calculated depth based on that perspective, assuming the footage is shot in a decent manner it works pretty well. It's a very complicated algorithm that tracks the position of a pixel in 3D space from a 2D plane. It's kinda the reverse of what a 3D engine does (projecting a 3D point on a 2D space). It's basically the same math in reverse. If your curious, a good program that does it is here, the page also has some good resources on the process.

I would hardly call that "the same math but in reverse", but I get it at least.

However, the "perspective" thing only holds so far. If it's an angular room that's one thing, but I don't know how well it's "meerkat and warthog" recognition is.

It's the problem I was talking about. It seems like it would be placing flat cutout looking characters on a 3D plane. What I'm curious about is how something like that would be able to look at a lion, see where it's paws are, and determine the exact depth of each individual toe, as well as give a range of depth to the mane and so on.

That software you linked to creates points from a scrolling real life camera image. I don't know how well that would apply to animation. A lot of background scenery in the Lion King does really good panoramic views with good paralax, but individual characters? They aren't changing in a 3D way as they move across a scene. I don't think the point mapping will be able to work with that.

I think a lot of it will need to be done manually.

Above all else though, I'm just wondering when 3D will go back in it's hole for another couple of decades. 3D is like a seasonal flu, it shows up every now and then, spreads a bit, but eventually people realize it doesn't really help anything and it goes back to it's rightful place as laughable gimic from "back in 200X".

The Lion King being remade in 3d - alien space marine - 30th May 2011

Their putting the video of Obama's birth in 3d! Whee!