Tendo City
Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) (/showthread.php?tid=6197)

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - A Black Falcon - 17th May 2011

Ugh... so is it going to go the way of all his other shows and be a not very good, dirty joke-filled show? If so that'd be really too bad, because The Flintstones is a classic and Family Guy isn't exactly what I'd want to use as a model for a modern Flintstones...

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - alien space marine - 17th May 2011

A Black Falcon Wrote:Family Guy isn't exactly what I'd want to use as a model for a modern Flintstones...

Barnie, This is almost as dumb as the time the TSC put President Obama on the no fly list!

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 18th May 2011

:|

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2011

Yeah, this will not be good will it... :(

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 18th May 2011

There's already way too much Seth MacFarlane comedy on TV as it is.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Weltall - 18th May 2011

I've never seen an example of Seth MacFarlane comedy before.

Now would be a good time not to start.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Sacred Jellybean - 18th May 2011

A lot of the old episodes of Family Guy can still make me laugh, but it's utterly unwatchable nowadays. I can't remember the last time I made it through an entire show.

I don't see why MacFarlane wants to spread himself so thin. I suppose he keeps starting new projects because he has a short attention span, which isn't a surprise, given his cartoons.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 19th May 2011

He's got three shows running concurrently [all of which he provides voices to] and, barring something catastrophic, those will all still be airing in two years when this new Flintstones series starts.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - EdenMaster - 19th May 2011

Welp, that about does it. There are officially no more original ideas.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 19th May 2011

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lKonw1dwCV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 19th May 2011

First episode makes a reference to coco and fruity pebbles. Calling it now. Other than that I don't see the harm, just modernize if. Don't make 50's references in a prehistoric premise, use modern chit. Also make it as cutting edge as the flinstones actually was, adopted children, black managers, marital problems, all that shit needs updated to keep it on the same level

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - etoven - 20th May 2011

Seth McFarland is a fucking awesome sandwich! And anyone who thinks his comedy sucks is a freekin Nazi.. Your not a member of the master race? Are you GR? Are my Jewish babies safe around you?

Now that being said, I agree the Flintstones aren't a good fit for him. Seth McFarland makes hit shows that play on pop culture references, but how does pop culture play out for the modern stone age family? Yea this is going to take some tweaking to make work..

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - etoven - 20th May 2011

Ha, speaking of Seth McFarland "American Dad," just cracked a awesome funny..

Clouse.. "Shes bleeding and it isn't even von time of di month. Yaaa. Period Joke!"

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 21st May 2011

It has good writing sometimes. Like when the alien tricked dad in to masturbating a horse. But Flinstones is a plot driven show, its a comedy but takes itself seriously. The snap jokes, one liners and puns all come from the stone age setting. An ipod that holds musical fish who have to learn songs, and when Wilma gets it out she says oh hold on, I have to "sync" my ipod. And then drops it in a fish tank. It "sinks" at which points fish swim in to the ipod, each fish shaped like a musical instrument, which happens while Wilma and Betty are talking. I think stuff like that would work really well.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - alien space marine - 22nd May 2011

etoven Wrote:Seth McFarland is a fucking awesome sandwich! And anyone who thinks his comedy sucks is a freekin Nazi.. Your not a member of the master race? Are you GR? Are my Jewish babies safe around you?

Is Baby Jesus safe around you?
[Image: kendra%20burton%20jesus%20and%20baby%204x6-40.jpg]

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 23rd May 2011

It's Jesus holding baby Jesus! How Kubrickian!

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - alien space marine - 24th May 2011

lazyfatbum Wrote:It's Jesus holding baby Jesus! How Kubrickian!

You forget that he is his own father LOL!

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2011

I liked the early seasons of Family Guy quite a bit, but I can't stomach it or any of his other shows anymore.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 27th May 2011

Hey, hey. Someone already said that. You just exemplified the common issue in recent episodes of McFarlans body of work by repeating what we already saw and pretending its new. You get the fuck out. I worship the ground you lay in.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 27th May 2011

Penis.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Dark Jaguar - 27th May 2011

Family guy gets cancelled.

Everyone: That was the most brilliant show ever Fox executives are idiots! *watches reruns of the old series endlessly for 5 years on Cartoon Network*

*Fox renews Family Guy*

Everyone: This sucks!

Yeah, you fickle people are NEVER satisfied! You did the same thing to Futurama!

Though actually, I really don't get why he keeps making new series, when they're all exactly the same. The only difference between his new shows and Family Guy is they don't use cutaway gags.

Also, lately his misogynism has really started showing pretty badly in these shows.

Brian: Teenage girls have so much ahead of them, you know before they all become bitches.
Some random woman: Yeah, what happened to all of us?

I don't get it. What's the joke? Is it supposed to be ironic? If so, it's lost on me. It just sounds... hateful.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - A Black Falcon - 27th May 2011

It is hateful, but hateful "comedy" in poor taste is one of Seth McFarland's favorite things. It's certainly one of the major reasons I'm not happy about this news...

But I do wonder, why even watch Family Guy at all, with how bad it is? I don't.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 27th May 2011

I'd rather watch Robot Chicken than Family Guy.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - A Black Falcon - 27th May 2011

I would too, Robot Chicken is actually funny sometimes.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Dark Jaguar - 27th May 2011

Robot Chicken and Seth Green is even worse. I don't get that show at all. EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IS EITHER A FRAT BOY PUNK OR A HOLLYWOOD BRAT! That is ALL the show ever does, EVER! Every single time I try to watch it, thinking maybe this time there will be SOMETHING funny, nope, it's the EXACT same joke just carbon copied onto a different retro 80's thing. Oh look, My Little Pony dropped an f-bomb and got drunk. Hey! G.I. Joe is acting like a gangster! The guy doesn't know any other personalities! It doesn't help that I can't relate to those two personalities he does show at all. I've never met anyone who acted like that. At least Family Guy for all it's faults has a little more subtlety and variation in the personalities given to people.

To this day I don't get Robot Chicken. I consider it the WORST show Adult Swim has ever made, and yes, I'm including Tim and Eric Great Job.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 27th May 2011

Either way, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, Harvey Birdman, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force are the best.

Also, Sealab 2021.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - etoven - 27th May 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Robot Chicken and Seth Green is even worse. I don't get that show at all. EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IS EITHER A FRAT BOY PUNK OR A HOLLYWOOD BRAT! That is ALL the show ever does, EVER! Every single time I try to watch it, thinking maybe this time there will be SOMETHING funny, nope, it's the EXACT same joke just carbon copied onto a different retro 80's thing. Oh look, My Little Pony dropped an f-bomb and got drunk. Hey! G.I. Joe is acting like a gangster! The guy doesn't know any other personalities! It doesn't help that I can't relate to those two personalities he does show at all. I've never met anyone who acted like that. At least Family Guy for all it's faults has a little more subtlety and variation in the personalities given to people.

To this day I don't get Robot Chicken. I consider it the WORST show Adult Swim has ever made, and yes, I'm including Tim and Eric Great Job.
OK, now I don't know if it's worse then Tim and Eric.. That's shows pretty fucking horrible.. When that show comes on, I produce audible sounds of disgust.

Now, having said that I would have to say Robot Chicken is pretty bad, If you guys think Seth McFarlands comidey is stupid, Seth Green's jokes are about ten times more cloche and stupid. Your right, I don't get it either, it's not funny at all, it's either bitch celerities, or show parodies about shows no one cares about it's just stupid. With one exception... The opera they did about the Wrath of Kahn, sung in Volcan was pure genius, a rare hit.. But overall it's pretty dumb.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 14th June 2011

Oh man lame. I love tim and eric. You guise lack vision

The all the food is poison song? I mean come on. Thats amazing.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - alien space marine - 14th June 2011

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aPLcT7I9txM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trey & Matt mocks "family guy", It goes to show how much of a hack Seth McFarland is, T& M have it right in pointing how the cut away gags are so mindlessly random that you could create one by playing bingo.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Dark Jaguar - 14th June 2011

So, you're saying that because South Park did a parody of them, they must hate it, and we have to agree because South Park is too edgy to ever be wrong about something? Near as I can tell, those two "normal" interchangable kids in the show seem to love it, and they're usually the ones that represent the creators of the show. Maybe they love it and are just poking fun at the cutaway gags.

Besides, if you don't like the cutaway gags, watch American Dad. Same show but minus those.

All food is poison song? Yeah, I saw it. Don't get it. That about sums up my reaction to most of that show lazy. I just don't get what the joke is supposed to be most of the time. Maybe that means I lack vision, true understanding of the avant garde of comedy. Maybe it's because a lot of the time the show does slow motion close ups of the two characters eating something in a disgusting way. Eww...

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 14th June 2011

Trey & Matt do actually hate Family Guy's writing, by the way.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Dark Jaguar - 14th June 2011

Oh well. They do the same thing. I remember some thanksgiving episode where after something about a turkey it cut away to some montage of people "learning lessons", completely unrelated to the rest of the show. Then there's the "dream land" thing. That was like one big cutaway pop culture reference, with the most idiotic lesson ever, "everything you imagine is real".

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Sacred Jellybean - 14th June 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Oh well. They do the same thing. I remember some thanksgiving episode where after something about a turkey it cut away to some montage of people "learning lessons", completely unrelated to the rest of the show.

I know that humor is subjective, but this was at least clever and funny, satirizing heavily dramatic moments in movies and TV. It was a cutaway that made fun of what was happening in the main plot, where most of Family Guy's cutaways are shoe-horned in.

Also, Family Guy's cutaways are typically just pop-culture references with the characters inserted. I remember a recent episode where they take the clip of Christian Bale flipping out on a director-of-photography and put in responses by Peter, as though Bale were yelling at him. Or when they put in a "Chuck Norris has a fist behind his beard!" joke, about 2 years after the meme was already dead and buried.

I'm with you on South Park's Imaginationland trilogy, though. It's like they had a weak script and punchline and wanted to pad it out a full three episodes.

Yeah it's subjective. Honestly it was the worst that first season after they got renewed, but it's toned back a bit now. I know I'm reading too much into it, but my interpretation of it is that life is absurd, things happen completely unrelated to whatever narrative you've created for yourself, and deal with it honkey tonk.

Family Guy has some very confused morals when it deems it necessary to "teach" them. The guy doesn't seem to realize what paralysis is (due to 3 separate episodes, I get the impression Seth actually thinks that paralysis just means your legs are broken and getting a "leg transplant" would fix it), and often lately his lesson is "we're all terrible, let's just stop trying to improve ourselves in any way".

Fry: I know I should but I just can't!

South Park at least makes the lessons more concrete, but it's so stuck up about them that it gets annoying. That's ignoring the fact that lately a lot of those lessons are completely insane. "It's okay to make fun of any specific religion, but you can't make fun of religion overall!" was one theme I picked up. Also, apparently being "smug" is worse than pollution. Then there's the very general lesson, nobody ever made a difference, the world is never going to get better so stop trying to do that, and the world will never get worse so stop worrying about the president, whoever it is. All in all, both of them are psuedo-intellectual fools who think that the secret to enlightenment is art, because that's all they know about, and their "edgy-ness" consists mostly of latching onto whatever bandwagon of "how about THESE guys?" the rest of the world is already making fun of, legitimate or not.

I can still laugh at a dumb joke though, so I watch them occasionally. Now Aqua Teen, that's a show that specializes in insulting their core fan base on a regular basis. The movie did the best thing ever, first coming up with a perfectly sensible (in the context of the show), explanation for where the 3 characters came from, then throwing that away and coming up with a less sensible one, then throwing THAT away and coming up with a completely idiotic and insulting explanation. It's the sort of thing that would enrage the fans, and it was all intentional. Now THAT'S comedy.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 14th June 2011

I watched some Sealab 2021 again recently. Why couldn't they have brought that back instead. :(

I love the way they cancelled all those shows. They just had a character randomly announce it right at the end and you're like "What?!".

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - alien space marine - 14th June 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:So, you're saying that because South Park did a parody of them, they must hate it, and we have to agree because South Park is too edgy to ever be wrong about something? Near as I can tell, those two "normal" interchangable kids in the show seem to love it, and they're usually the ones that represent the creators of the show. Maybe they love it and are just poking fun at the cutaway gags.

Besides, if you don't like the cutaway gags, watch American Dad. Same show but minus those.

Matt & Trey have on record stated that whenever family guy is brought in the same breath as their show in conversations , Its like being proverbially kicked in the scrotum.

Matt & Trey in their audio commentary, Basically said that in that scene Stan & Kyle represented the typical fan that enjoys watching family guy while Cartmen's reaction reflected their own ambivalent feelings about their rival's cartoon, but they admit that they sometimes indulge in Family guy themselves and acknowledge that it does have some redeeming qualities despite the flaws .

DJ you must have missed the ending of the Smug Alert episode, Otherwise you would have gotten the bit were Kyle points out that hybrids really are a good thing; Just that the people who drive them should just not be smug about it, or act as if they are above everybody else.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - EdenMaster - 15th June 2011

Great Rumbler Wrote:I watched some Sealab 2021 again recently. Why couldn't they have brought that back instead. :(

Sealab went downhill after Captain Murphy left.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Great Rumbler - 15th June 2011

After Captain Murphy DIED. But yes.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - EdenMaster - 15th June 2011

I'm aware, rest in peace Harry Goz. I'm aware it wasn't a conscious decision on the shows part, but the fact remains.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Dark Jaguar - 15th June 2011

I dunno, I liked the new character. He wasn't Murphy but he wasn't supposed to be. He was a crazy gym teacher.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 16th June 2011

The song is saying all food will kill you and is sung by preteen girls in cheerleader outfits, tye girls don't acknowledge that the.lyrics are strange, instead they sing it like a known statement of something factual. All food is poison, eating is bad. The older man singing along leads them in singing, announcing a for which the girls sing about as being deadly.

It's genius, you lack vision.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - lazyfatbum - 16th June 2011

Announcing a food* sorry I'm typing on a soft keyboard and i despise it.

Not everything in Tim and eric is great but certainly you can recognize the occasional hidden meaning and ensuing hilarity. If you really wanna talk humor there's Simpson, futurama, archer, athf, that new thing with the.... guy who makes burgers.... and some others but the Tim and eric show stood out.

I hate south park but some eps are great I just cant stand the constant preaching.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - Dark Jaguar - 16th June 2011

I dunno, a lot of Tim and Eric is just confusing and gross to me. It doesn't help that it's live action, when it's on CARTOON Network (I hate network decay, like MTV, or Sci-Fi, sorry, Syfy). Honestly I liked the "toned down" version of that show with some actual continuity, Tom goes to the Mayor. That show was hilarious.

Seth McFarland's The Flintstones (tv series coming) - etoven - 16th June 2011

Tim and Eric is a retard dumb-ass sandwich..