Tendo City
Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years (/showthread.php?tid=6102)

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Weltall - 5th February 2011

You'll find it in your list below. Certainly, you guys know how to work that by now.

I didn't create this one from scratch, I merely customized an existing theme. My skills hit a glass ceiling long ago. I still wanted something more modern than, say, 2004 to be on the forum for a change, because every theme we have looks ridiculously dated.

Anyway, have a use and feed me back.

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Great Rumbler - 5th February 2011

Whalers on the Moon is still the best!!!!!!

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - etoven - 5th February 2011

Great Rumbler Wrote:Whalers on the Moon is still the best!!!!!!

You mean the style that dosn't change a goddamn thing?? BLA..

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - EdenMaster - 5th February 2011

Not bad, I always used VII since I liked the black and red motif, but this is pretty sharp.

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Dark Jaguar - 5th February 2011

We carry a harpoon!

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Weltall - 5th February 2011

EdenMaster Wrote:Not bad, I always used VII since I liked the black and red motif, but this is pretty sharp.

If you look at the list, you'll see variation labeled [otherside].

I was never a fan of the black and red schemes I did years ago, but if you are, maybe this will please you.

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2011

The new look is rather nice, though things are a little bigger than they need to be. While I like the smooth rounded look to everything, I can't help but notice you picked up the modern trend of making EVERYTHING start with lower case letters, because apparently poor literacy is "family friendly". It's odd since the Tendo t is lower case but the City C is upper case. I sometimes get the impression that modern society is attempting to completely obliterate "Capitalization" for it's various grievances during the olden times of "ALL CAPS".

I went through and changed the smilies a bit. I moved the werewolf and... green thing... a lot further back so that more video game oriented smilies were front and center (they're still there, just out of the way). I think perhaps they should also be moved off the "topic icon" list entirely and replaced with Megaman or Link or something.

I have noticed something. The "drop down" lists for things like "thread tools" does not appear to work in more modern browsers. It works in IE8 and Firefox's current version, but not in it's beta or in Chrome.

I think the naming is interesting. "Otherside" makes me think of Earthbound. Mind if it was renamed "Moonside"?

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2011

The amount of space on the screen actually taken up by the posts is narrower, and the same goes for thread titles... no, I don't like this new design at all thanks to that. I'll stick with older ones.

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Weltall - 11th February 2011

Dark Jaguar Wrote:The new look is rather nice, though things are a little bigger than they need to be. While I like the smooth rounded look to everything, I can't help but notice you picked up the modern trend of making EVERYTHING start with lower case letters, because apparently poor literacy is "family friendly". It's odd since the Tendo t is lower case but the City C is upper case. I sometimes get the impression that modern society is attempting to completely obliterate "Capitalization" for it's various grievances during the olden times of "ALL CAPS".

Except, I did that before, seven years ago, with the TC VI style. And, of course, the Rumble City logo reads 'rumble city', so it's hardly without precedent. Or, even, like, modern.

I also don't consider it 'poor literacy', I consider it 'stylistic license', because I care a great deal about proper presentation of prose, but not to the point where I am going to stick my head up my ass just because I need to fit something in there. I find that a hundred times more annoying than stylistic choices with which I disagree. ;)

Quote:I think the naming is interesting. "Otherside" makes me think of Earthbound. Mind if it was renamed "Moonside"?

The terminology is derived from Silent Hill.

Tendo City XI: An actual new forum style after how many goddamn years - Dark Jaguar - 11th February 2011

Silent Hill? I see.

Anyway, I get what you're saying I think, it's just been really annoying that every single program and web site out there seems to think capital letters are "bad". I mean, it comes across as though they're trying to say "we're ultra soft and friendly" and "we're not ivory tower elitists here" and so on. It comes off as annoying to me when I notice it everywhere. It's not Facebook, it's facebook. It's not Myspace it's myspace. It's not even Windows 7, it's windows 7. That's not to mention all the new movies lately with lower cased names. It just gives me this vibe of "look how laid back and calm we are, we don't get all uptight about proper capitalization like some square!".

It'll pass, like they all do, it just bugs me for some reason. I mean, even more so than all caps like the PLAYSTATION 3 do.