Tendo City
Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Sudden frozen Ragnarok (/showthread.php?tid=6096)

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 1st February 2011

Yeah, snow just dumped on top of this state all at once last night, about 2 feet deep with vast, uh, "snow dunes", and so on. It's the most snow there's been here in about... 15 years?

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 1st February 2011

There was about an inch of snow down here, but lots of ice so all the roads are impassible [school has been cancelled two days in a row].

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - A Black Falcon - 1st February 2011

We got a couple inches Tuesday, but we're supposed to be getting up to 20 inches today... I wonder how much will come down. We've already gotten more snow than we did all winter -- and that was as of a week or two ago -- so this is a much, much better winter than that last, somewhat lame one... the storms just keep coming. Lots of snow, it looks beautiful. It'll be a lot of shoveling again after this one I'm sure, but oh well, that's how it is in winter. :)

As for ice, yeah, lots of ice is nasty. My top ice memory is of the great ice storm of early 1998, when southern Maine was hammered by ice. We lost power (and had no school) for a full week after that one; some people got power back faster, but we were on a side street so it took a while. Many people who didn't have power, woodstoves (as we did, in addition to the oil furnace) or generators had to go to shelters, because without power oil furnaces won't work... that's one reason we had no school for so long, the high school was a shelter.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Fittisize - 1st February 2011

Aye, crazy weather everywhere, it seems. Those poor schlubs over on the East coast. Up in my neck of the woods it was 8 degrees Celsius on Friday (that's 46.4 Fahrenheit folks, ya), and yesterday it was -29 celsus (-20.2 F). What the hell is that shit all about.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 1st February 2011

Speaking of Ragnarok, I played some Valkyrie Profile today.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - EdenMaster - 2nd February 2011

Meh, I'm used to snow around here. The kind of weather that's currently paralyzing the country is generally referred to as "Wednesday" where I live. The only difficulty I had was chipping away at my car-shaped igloo so I could drive it to class today.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 2nd February 2011

Actually the day before the snow it was 70 degrees here, so yeah.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Weltall - 2nd February 2011

And, for me, just south of all the snowy fun, it's 70°F (21.1°C) right now.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 2nd February 2011

I'm snowblind.... good... Who screwed up TC's colors?

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - A Black Falcon - 2nd February 2011

Snow >>>>>>>>>>> Hot weather. I love winter, it's my favorite season of course. So yeah, this is a good winter... :)

On that note, we got a lot less than the predicted "20 inches" today. It was 6 inches, not 20. Still a substantial snowfall, with the couple of inches that also fell on Tuesday, but a lot less than predicted. Still though, everyone's running out of places to put it... there's been a lot of snow this winter, and almost none has melted in the past month or so (as you'd expect this time of year, it's not above freezing much), so the drifts are getting... high. Finding places to put all the new snow (when you shovel the driveway) when most of the piles are already 4, 5, or 6 feet high is a challenge. :)

Weltall Wrote:And, for me, just south of all the snowy fun, it's 70°F (21.1°C) right now.

Sounds awful. :(

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 2nd February 2011

Cold weather is the worst. Numb extremities, runny noses, and all that. Give me 75 and sunny any day.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - EdenMaster - 2nd February 2011

70 degrees is "awful"?

Man, you're weird.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Weltall - 3rd February 2011

Though I truly enjoy snow, today was marvelously spring-like and it was fantastic.

Besides, I'm spending the next two weeks in South Australia, where it will be over 100°F pretty much every day. 70°F is totally okay.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - A Black Falcon - 3rd February 2011

70 degrees in the winter would be awful, yeah. Cold weather's fine, just dress warmly enough (winter coat, gloves) and temperatures here -- above zero almost all of the time -- are perfectly fine. Hot weather's miserable, though... there's not much you can do but suffer. Plus, no pretty snow around, no skiing... I love winter. Summer's my least favorite season even here, and if it's 70 degrees now, just thinking about how hot things get in the summer in places like that... so awful.

If I thought differently, I wouldn't still be in this state, I imagine... that I like winter certainly is on my list of reasons why I've stayed.

Quote:Besides, I'm spending the next two weeks in South Australia, where it will be over 100°F pretty much every day. 70°F is totally okay.

Well if that's your comparison, then you're right.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 3rd February 2011

It gets over 100°F but I would STILL take that over 32°F, cloudy, and windy.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 3rd February 2011

I'm good with anything between 65-75, but if I had to pick between 30 or 100, I'd go with 30 every time. I can always bundle up to DEFEAT cold, but what do you do with hot? Strap some ice to your back? That just runs down your legs, and it's heavy! And it doesn't last that long! And you get funny looks... *Ahem* I hate hot weather, it kills me and just makes me angry, which makes me hotter!

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Weltall - 3rd February 2011

Great Rumbler Wrote:It gets over 100°F but I would STILL take that over 32°F, cloudy, and windy.

See, now that's what psychologists call fucking nuts.

I don't think that 70 is bad--it was breezy and wonderful, and a nice change of pace (and over with, it's 35 right now), but I'll take 35 over 100 any day, because I don't know how you Oklahomos get your hot temperatures, but here in VA, they come with a huge dollop of 100% humidity. It's like spending three months in Satan's steaming colon after burrito night.

I loathe cold weather. LOATHE it. And anything below 50 is cold to me. I hate my extremities feeling numb, I hate the cold air clawing it way down my throat, I hate piling on clothes and still feeling that chill in the air. Somebody buy me a house in the Sahara please.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 3rd February 2011

I just don't get that. Cool breezes to me are the very definition of comfort. Being hot is just.... hot...

I guess it's just a difference of opinion.

Great Rumbler Wrote:I loathe cold weather. LOATHE it. And anything below 50 is cold to me. I hate my extremities feeling numb, I hate the cold air clawing it way down my throat, I hate piling on clothes and still feeling that chill in the air. Somebody buy me a house in the Sahara please.

I feel the same way over pretty much anything above 80 degrees, it's just utterly miserable and all I can think about is how much I wish it was cooler... cold weather's great though, I love it.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I just don't get that. Cool breezes to me are the very definition of comfort. Being hot is just.... hot...
Yeah.

75-80 with a warm breeze from the south is perfection. Hotter than that is UGH and colder than that is ARGH, but I'd rather have UGH than ARGH.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - EdenMaster - 3rd February 2011

Great Rumbler Wrote:75-80 with a warm breeze from the south is perfection. Hotter than that is UGH and colder than that is ARGH, but I'd rather have UGH than ARGH.

My feelings exactly. I've always had a very high tolerance for heat (I sleep comfortably under three blankets, including a fleece and a wool comforter, year round) and extremely low tolerance to cold (I break out my winter jacket in the fall).

I will concede, however, that humidity does make a big difference in comfort in heat. If it's sticky and muggy, then it's not comfortable. A dry heat I can take, though.

Snowpocalypse 2011 rages on.

65-70 is the ideal indoor temperature. Maybe slightly over 70, but not 75. Above 75 and I definitely wish it was cooler. 60-65's not bad either, colder but bearable.

As for outdoors, I don't know... it's been pretty nice these past few weeks, mostly in the 20s, sometimes the teens or low 30s. Not much to complain about there. For other seasons though anything up to the 60s to low 70s is good.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Fittisize - 4th February 2011

Jesus, it's now two degrees up here in Northern Alberta. (35.6 F), and it's been like this for a few days. This is fantastic and a nice repreive from what we're accustomed too (twice within the last two years Edmonton recorded the lowest temperature of any city on the planet). It's like we're in Vancouver or something. The weather as of late is extraordinarily unusual on its own, but what's even stranger is that apparently the entire US South is colder than me right now. I'm looking at a map of Texas and every single city is colder. Even my brothers and sisters in Jackson is freezing cold right now.

Weltall Wrote:Besides, I'm spending the next two weeks in South Australia, where it will be over 100°F pretty much every day. 70°F is totally okay.

Cool, what's going on down in S. Australia?

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 4th February 2011

We got another 2-3 inches on top of the 1 inch of snow/ice last night.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 4th February 2011

Fittisize Wrote:Cool, what's going on down in S. Australia?

Summer

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 9th February 2011

After a brief respite, Snowpocalypse 2011 is back.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2011

It snowed slushy snow that turned to rain Sunday, got warm Monday and some stuff started melting, and then froze hard Tuesday, so now all of the sidewalks are sheets of ice... snow's so much better than ice, it's no problem to walk on snow, but quite tricky to walk on ice. You need to be really careful. Annoying...

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2011

Captain Obvious! Ice IS harder to walk on than snow! Protip: While it works better for sledding, it works worse for snowman building.

Sudden frozen Ragnarok - Great Rumbler - 10th February 2011

Looks like Snowpocalypse 2011 might finally be over.