Tendo City
Fall 2010 Anime - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Fall 2010 Anime (/showthread.php?tid=5976)

Pages: 1 2

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 1st October 2010

About the only thing so far this season is Panty & Stocking with Garter Belt [from Gainax], which completely off-the-wall.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 1st October 2010

Agreed, that one sounds pretty interesting, so different and weird... Not sure about anything else though.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 3rd October 2010

Panty & Stocking reminds me of an Adult Swim show, except Japanese...

I've heard that The Powerpuff Girls was an inspiration too, and it kind of does feel like an Adult Swim Powerpuff Girls inspired show or something... it's got the 12 minute episodes of those shows, too (Well, the episodes are divided in half and have two unrelated parts in each one, specifically). Except, well, made in Japan. I'd say "and weird", but Adult Swim shows are weird already, so it wouldn't be accurate... but it's got lots of sex jokes and bathroom humor, so yeah.

The second part of the first episode is just awesome though, funny and really entertaining... great stuff. :)

Essentially, for anime it's very nonstandard. Is this good or bad? I don't know, I'm not a huge fan of most Adult Swim-style shows... I did like a few (Robot Chicken, ATHF), but most of them, not so much. Overall though, it is good.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 10th October 2010

Panty & Stocking 02 - Part 1 was good, but part 2 was the weakest one so far. This series keeps changing tone every episode...

Milky Holmes 01 - I liked this, actually. Funny, amusing stuff. Poor girls, this episode really shows how badly they fail without their powers... :)

It's not from this season, but over the past week or so I also watched the whole series of Saki. Yeah, I finished all 25 episodes pretty quickly, I actually liked it quite a bit and zipped right through it all.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 11th October 2010

Ika Musume is a pretty good little show, reminds me of Sgt. Frog.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 17th October 2010

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes -- Good stuff. This show is pretty funny, I like this. Lol This is probably my favorite show of the season.

Samurai Girls -- Stupid fanservicey generic Ikkitousen/Queen's Blade junk (with flying-girls-without-pants stuff too), but with generic harem-leader guy present. All characters are extremely stereotypical. Lots of fanservice. It's not awful, it's just very generic... the setting's the only thing it has going for it but even that isn't done very well, it's just mostly "anime version of 19th century Japan but with a couple of random modern day things like sailor style schoolgirl uniforms, etc." Blah.

MM! -- Kind of funny (and there's much less fanservice than you might expect)... masochist guy, tsundere girl who likes to abuse him, girl who violently can't stand being touched by guys, guy who likes to dress up as a girl (and teh main character masochist guy likes the "girl" version of this guy)... a little bit unique sounding, but in fact the characters are fairly generic. Not terrible for what it's trying to be, but not special either. Doubt I'll watch much of this.

The World Only God Knows, Ore no Imouto -- Stupid. Didn't finish an episode of either of these.

Haven't watched Squid Girl yet, but I'll try it.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 18th October 2010

Squid Girl is a pretty fun show, basically a rip-off of Sgt. Frog but that's not really a bad thing.

Ore no Imouto - First two episodes were pretty funny, but episode 3 [especially the last few minutes] were totally amazing. My favorite show this season.

Panty & Stocking - Just keeps getting more and more bizarre.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 18th October 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 19th October 2010

Squid Girl - didn't watch the whole episode, but it seemed alright but not incredibly interesting. Maybe it gets better, maybe not, I'm not sure.

OreImo - Finally forced myself to actually finish the first episode. It wasn't easy, this show is so, so awful... there is no redeeming values here at all apart from the reasonably good art, and that is definitely not a reason to watch. The story is awful, incest-fantasy-driven garbage, the plot is bad, the characters unbelievable...

Really, OreImo and TWOGK share a problem -- both series pretend to be set in a "3d" world, starring characters who like "2d" (ie anime/games/etc) stuff, which would be fine... except that the so-called 3d characters act just as 2d as anyone in the 2d stuff they're talking about.

I mean really, what's the point of having something so self-referential about the 2d/3d thing (that is, pretending to be set in the "real world" and having the show be about people who like "2d" instead), when your 3d world is really 100% identical to the 2d ones in every way that matters? The only joke is that the characters in the show don't seem to realize that.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 20th October 2010

Quote:OreImo - Finally forced myself to actually finish the first episode. It wasn't easy, this show is so, so awful... there is no redeeming values here at all apart from the reasonably good art, and that is definitely not a reason to watch. The story is awful, incest-fantasy-driven garbage, the plot is bad, the characters unbelievable...

You do know that Kyousuke isn't actually in love with his sister, right?

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 20th October 2010

Sure, but there seems to be a pretty good chance she's tsundere in love with him. "Sister/mother in love with her brother/son who doesn't love him back" isn't an uncommon incest plotline, really, I think, in anime at least.

I just don't think that's the way the series is going to go.

Oh come on, really? Incest-themed series that only exists to pander to anime and incest and eroge fans won't go where most of the people watching want it to go, and go into "real" incest?

Yeah right. Not going to happen.

I haven't seen anything from him yet, but from her as I said there've been plenty of signs of the usual she-likes-him-but-won't-admit-it-to-herself-so-she-covers-it-up-with-violence thing. Whether or not she actually loves him or not I don't know, but she obviously likes him, and honestly considering the genre I'd be pretty surprised if it's just "like". As I said, that's all I need to know how silly this is. Siblings... don't often get along well during childhood. This, as I said, is quite the opposite of that, the oddly standard anime siblings who not only don't not get along, but where at least one of them is in love with the other. This is one of those.

I mean, I'm not blaming it for being an incest show, that IS the whole reason why it exists, after all. I'm just saying that that is what it is, and I don't like that.

And I know that anime fantasy is nothing like reality, but still, anyone who has an actual sibling like I do would know how ridiculously stupid anime's obsession with incest is. I know I've said it before, but I really do think the fact that Japan's birthrate is so low has to be one reason why this is so popular now there... people with actual siblings would not often be interested in this kind of thing I think, because of how annoying siblings are. :)

I don't know if I know any siblings who actually got along well at all before their 20s...

I would never expect anime to be realistic of course, because it almost never is, but it's just that I guess harem shows like that probably make me think of my sister, which makes me think about how much we disagree about almost everything and how annoying she is. You know, normal sibling relationship stuff. My younger cousins (both boys) fought constantly, for instance, they were always fighting...

I'm sure that with more than two siblings things would be different in some way, but I'm not sure how; two is the "normal" number, anyway.

Of course there are very rare cases of siblings actually liking eachother romantically, but it's very rare, quite unlike in anime-land where it's a common everyday occurance you see all over the place.

I would say that part of it is probably cultural differences, but incest taboos are pretty general worldwide, for siblings at least, so that doesn't explain that part of it.

Of course, anime people don't act much like actual people in a whole lot of ways, so it's not like it's anything special... just one of many ways you can show that fact to be true, really. And it's fine as it is, probably, I don't really care, I'm just not going to watch shows like this.

You seriously complain about the strangest things. And you can also turn a minor sideplot [which might not even be a sideplot at all] into some social treatise on Japan's social structure. DUDE. It's a comedy series about a girl who is trying to cover up a hobby that people look down on and her brother figuring out how to help her. But, then again, you watch and enjoy mindless harem shows, so whatever.

And the series is at least as much about the sister coming out of her shell and making friends who share her hobbies as anything else. Also, episode 3 is awesome.

The title and just about every theme in the show make it clear that it's really about a girl who secretly (whether or not she's admitted it to herself yet) loves her brother, and her (successful) efforts here to get closer to him by dragging him into her super otaku-dom.

I mean, what you say there isn't totally wrong, there is that side to it too, but this is every bit as much there. It's a tsundere romance, you know how those go, right?

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 21st October 2010

The show's based on a light novel series and there's nothing in that to suggest it's ever going to be anything more than MAYBE a vague hint.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 27th October 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 28th October 2010

Quote:Really though, the whole series is ludicrously stupid. It's my least favorite anime of the season, and I dropped it after one episode.

And yet you keeping watching Samurai Girls!

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2010

It just depends on which kind of stupid the series is, I guess. I find that kind of stupid more watchable.

I've only seen one or two moments of stupid in Ore no Imouto, but Samurai Girls looks to be filled to the brim with it.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2010

If you don't mind incest suggestions (don't try to deny that one of the goals of the series isn't to make people think that, even if nothing is confirmed...) and siblings that like eachother far too much, maybe. On a stupid things happening per minute basis Samurai Girls probably is worse, it's just that I dislike the stupid things in OreImo more.

Samurai Girls just has super stereotypical characters and a good bit of fanservice. And rips off multiple other recent series, such as Queen's Blade, IkkiTousen, and Strike Witches, just with a slightly unique setting.

Quote:And rips off multiple other recent series, such as Queen's Blade, IkkiTousen, and Strike Witches

And that's about where I stopped being interested!

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 29th October 2010

Episode 5 part 2 of Panty & Stocking was flat-out amazing. People are literally going insane because of how much they hated it. Lol

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 29th October 2010

I should watch it then... wonder what happens. :)

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 5th November 2010

Episode 3 of Soredemo Machi

Probably the best one so far, it also actually had some pretty good animation which is a rarity for Shaft/Shinbou! Some really good moments too, like Arashiyama actually discovering something that she's smart at and acting really smug to everyone else and some more outrageous reactions. The first two episodes were decent enough, some great moments here and there, but I think episode three has really solidified it as a show that I want to keep watching.

Episode 4 of Ika Musume

Also the best so far of its series, as it toes a thin line between hilariously strange and bizarrely disturbing which it actually does very well. Part C of that episode was great, one of my favorites so far, although the last part of Part A was hysterically weird.

It's also got a lot of cute girls in it that aren't trumped up excuses for fanservice or doe-eyed moeblobs, which is nice to see in an anime.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 5th November 2010

I watched the first two episodes of Milky Holmes, the second was definitely better than the first but I just can't compel myself to watch more. Sorry, ABF, but it's dropped.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 5th November 2010

The second episode is my least favorite of the four so far, actually.

Episode 6 of Panty & Stocking was awesome, probably the best one so far. Gainax pulled out their wallet and put some money down on it.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 10th November 2010

Milky Holmes 05 -- :lol Evil bishie guy has a body pillow of himself, and is in love with it? Heh... Also, adorable kitty (and evil, evil thieves who kidnap our heroines' pet!). Other than that the characters are a bit annoyingly predictable, as if people wouldn't notice that Mary and Kate were evil... though of course it all worked out happily in the end, but still, why must anime main characters almost always be stupid...

Oh well, funny episode. Of course it's a comedy show so it should be, and it was. Finally, we see the mushroom stove again, except being used at a proper time this time! :) As for the rest of it, the fight between the two groups of badguys started out allright, though the way Mary and Kate won was kind of screwed up... though that was the point of course.

Star Driver 06 -- This show has such terrible pacing, such poor fights, and such a lame plot...but somehow it is slightly better than its parts, and while the first half of this episode was completely standard for the series the second part changed things slightly. Allright episode, for this series. Stuff actually happens in the end, we'll see next episode how permanent it is...

Also, sometimes I do agree with the sentiment that the girl in the cage's story might be more interesting than the actual plot of the series so far. Though I still don't know why she's telling it, I don't remember her being threatened, I mean apart from losing her powers and then being locked in a cage that is (though those things definitely could be enough). Evidently these stories always reference what happens in the episode, though... I hadn't noticed that, but looking at it yeah I guess it is true.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2010

(Not from the current season, but something I just watched)
Planetes 01-05 -- Huh, interesting show. First though, I have to mention it -- why is 2075 so much like '90s Japan? I mean, the office full of piles of paper, okay, the cultural attitudes of '90s Japan, okay (unlikely but things generally reflect their time), but stuff like finding who that guy (the company president or whatever's son) was in episode 5 by... looking through a big binder to find that guy's profile in it? Really? Maybe, but I'd think these days there'd be other ways... that's just a minor example, though. Really the issue is that the show doesn't exactly have much that's futuristic about it aside from the size and number of the space stations and colonies. Other than that it's essentially a present-day setting. This isn't exactly Ghost in the Shell... maybe they should have set it closer to today (than 2075), I don't know. They wanted something far enough away that big space stations might be credible, but left the culture unchanged anyway. It's just silly. Oh well, it's a minor point on a great show, and apart from that the show does a lot right. The only other possible complaint I have would probably be the slow pace -- it took me a couple of episodes to get used to the show. I didn't like this series after just watching one episode, it took a couple before I warmed to it. Once I did though, I realized how good it is. It gets a lot right.

It's definitely an interesting series. I do like some episodes better than others, but it is pretty good overall. The characters are reasonably interesting, and the setting somewhat unique. The series is more about thoughts and the characters than action, though. It is consistent in having the actual "action" of the episode generally matter less than the characters' arguing about whatever that episode's issue of debate is, with the episode's action scenes being something for that argument to center around. For instance, to not spoil much, the episode about the wills where they also find that body and argue about appropriate ways to be remembered, or arguing about peace versus war when told to send down into the atmosphere a peace monument of sorts. This is a character drama about ideas first, clearly -- that's what I'd heard about it (I haven't heard a huge amount, but that I had heard), and it's true. That's not to say there isn't action, though, because there is, it's just that even during the action the theory always ends up taking precedence. Like in episode 5, when the kidnapper and the main characters, the main girl character particularly (is the guy the main main character? I guess he's supposed to be, but it's kind of tough to tell between the two of them... but anyway.) start arguing about their dreams and goals. In the middle of a tense hostage situation, they start arguing about whether people should try to, or can, accomplish their dreams? Kind of hard to believe... still though, they manage to pull it off fairly well, and it was a good episode. I think I want to watch more of this series, it's pretty interesting -- you do not often see "sci-fi" anime so much based on reality and the real space experience of modern day! I mean, space junk is already a problem, we're going to have to do something about it at some point... and how many animes are there about centrally about astronauts in zero gravity?

So yeah, interesting show, and it brings up some good issues. It doesn't feel much like 2075, but oh well, it's original and does what it does pretty well. I'll watch more of this soon I think.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 11th November 2010

Quote:First though, I have to mention it -- why is 2075 so much like '90s Japan? I mean, the office full of piles of paper, okay, the cultural attitudes of '90s Japan, okay (unlikely but things generally reflect their time), but stuff like finding who that guy (the company president or whatever's son) was in episode 5 by... looking through a big binder to find that guy's profile in it? Really? Maybe, but I'd think these days there'd be other ways... that's just a minor example, though. Really the issue is that the show doesn't exactly have much that's futuristic about it aside from the size and number of the space stations and colonies. Other than that it's essentially a present-day setting.

I think that's to emphasize just how little everyone thinks of the salvage crew. They're shoved back into some tiny room, all their computers are ancient, they still uses paper files, and so on. Whereas everything around them is much more advanced.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2010

Huh, that's possible. I mean, they're obviously the bottom rung of the ladder, yeah, working in that bottom level space and without modern equipment, but still, I don't know if that's a complete explanation... at least it's something though.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 12th November 2010

Well, one of the big themes of the show is that it's about this group that's the complete bottom-rung of the company and nobody gives them the time of the day and all their equipment is old hand-me-downs, yet they have one of the most important jobs in space. So I think they kind of exaggerated things a little bit to emphasize that point.

If I remember right, the technology on display in other parts of the company were suitably advanced for the timeframe.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 14th November 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 14th November 2010

Well, if there was ever any doubt of Milky Holmes intended target audience, the latest episode has made it abundantly clear. Lol

Which episode? Do you mean the episode with the Twister game from a few weeks ago, or have you seen episode 6 already and there's even more than that in it?

NSFW link:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/11/14/tantei-opera-milky-holmes-anal-plug-anime/

Lol Looks like another funny episode, like all of them so far but going a little farther with the content. We'll see though, I was going to watch the episode today anyway (it's a weekend series). The series continues to defy expectations, though, that seems clear... most people seem to have thought it'd either be a little kids' show or pandering lolicon stuff, and it's neither of those.

... You don't think some of that stuff looks funny? But you didn't like the first two episodes, so I guess different people like different kinds of comedy.

The only comedy series this year that's definitely better is Panty & Stocking... I found Bakatest entertaining too though, so we'll see if in the end this is better or worse than that. I think that Panty & Stocking is going to be the comedy anime of the year, but after that we'll see.

Soredemo Machi and Ika Musume are also better.

Ika Musume is kind of boring, I don't find it very interesting. Haven't seen Soredemo, maybe I'll try it not sure.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 15th November 2010

Samurai Girls 06 -- I liked this episode as far as this show goes, that was one of the better fight scenes so far this series. I like the visual style of the show too, with the black "ink spot" filters and stuff. I do wonder though, when did they realize that her brother was evil? Did I miss something or something, because I don't remember that... it just starts this episode with Muneakira and Sen talking about how they think he was responsible for the disappearances, but if there was something where he obviously became their focus of suspicion, I've missed it. Hmm.

Also, if the DVD version gets rid of all the censorship, this will be probably the most fanservice-heavy episode yet... but while often censorship in anime is annoying, maybe because of the unique presentation of it -- the black ink spots, etc -- in this one I don't mind it.

Also, Jubei suggesting a Tenchi Solution to their "several girls love him" problem... gah. Bad. At least everybody refuses. For another negative, Yukimura's explanation for why her bathing suit was better was also pretty dumb. On the other hand, it was interesting to learn for sure that yes, Jubei does know about her other self, they aren't completely separate -- she suggests helping and the other one knows what normal useless Jubei was told.

Sen and Yukimura finally managing to work together (and with Jubei) in the fight was cool, though. It's hard to get much done when they spend all their time fighting each other, though it certainly fits with the plot well and could lead to a cool fight if they ever do really fight. :)

This show is stupid and not exactly good, but I can watch these things anyway for some reason. At least in shows like these the female characters aren't useless...

Panty & Stocking 03 - This show is amazing, definitely the show of the season. It's just so excessive and absurd, I've never seen an anime like it... and I think that's the point. I mean, it's quite juvenile in a lot of ways of course, but they're obviously having a lot of fun with this I think.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 22nd November 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Dark Jaguar - 23rd November 2010

I don't get anime. Everyone's either a ten years old girl or a monster.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 23rd November 2010

Not in Ghost in the Shell.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 23rd November 2010

The joke answer would be that no, sometimes it's about 10 year old monster girls. :)

The serious answer is that that's only sometimes true.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 24th November 2010

Soredemo Machi continued to be one of my favorites of this entire year and one of my favorite Shaft/Shinbou match ups, which is saying a lot because there's a ton of really good ones. It's just got such great characters, such a great sense of humor, and even some moments of poignancy that work so well. It's gone so far beyond the initial premise.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 8th December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 8th December 2010

Quote:There are like three episodes in a row in this batch about people dying of cancer, committing suicide, or both... it's a bit overly bleak. Does the series stay like this? If so I'm not sure how much I want to watch... I mean, the episodes were good (6 aside), yes.

There's still some light episodes left in the show, but if you're freaking out now then you'll really flip during the last arc of the series [21-26]. You should still watch the rest of the show, however.