Tendo City
Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie (/showthread.php?tid=5973)

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Great Rumbler - 29th September 2010

Quote:Like one of those fake-smart, middlebrow TV shows, the speciousness of The Social Network is disguised by topicality. It’s really a movie excusing Hollywood ruthlessness. That’s why it evades Zuckerberg’s background timidity and the mess that the Internet has made of cultural discourse. In interviews, Sorkin brags about the multiple narrative and Fincher has even invoked Citizen Kane—both are grandstanding excuses for Zuckerberg’s repeated masturbatory request for friendship—a mawkish George Clooney ending. Here’s the truth: Kane was not about a brat’s betrayal, but about a sensitive braggart’s psychological and philosophical shift inward. The Social Network is more like Hollywood’s classic film industry selfromance The Bad and the Beautiful. Yet that Kane-lite film never excused its bad-boy protagonist’s sins and ended magnanimously by converging his three injured parties’ points of view into one beautifully clarifying narrative. It admitted our cultural compromises; this is TV-trite. In The Social Network, creepiness is heroized.

http://www.nypress.com/article-21676-creeps-as-heroes.html

Awesome! Will definitely go check it out this weekend.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Sacred Jellybean - 29th September 2010

Even Armond White liked it, huh?

The trailer didn't wow me, but after learning that Trent Reznor is involved in the film's soundtrack and hearing him vouch for the script, it was decided. Plus, I love Fincher. The only movie of his I haven't liked is Zodiac. And Panic Room. Even a bad Fincher film is usually interesting to watch, though.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Great Rumbler - 29th September 2010

Quote:Even Armond White liked it, huh?

Read it again, Bean!

Quote:The only movie of his I haven't liked is Zodiac.

Wait...what?

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Fittisize - 29th September 2010

Zodiac happens to be my favourite Fincher film. In my opinion, The Game is far and away his worst movie. It's bad in general - not just bad for a Fincher film. Good God was that movie ever terrible.

That being said, Reznor doing the soundtrack also intrigues me very much, and the critical attention The Social Network is getting has definitely piqued my interest (also, compare this and this). It's being likened to Citizen Kane and is already an Oscar favourite. When I first saw the trailer (before seeing Eat, Pray, Love) I couldn't think of anything more pointless than a movie about Facebook, but maybe I passed judgement too quickly. Maybe there's something to it.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Sacred Jellybean - 29th September 2010

Great Rumbler Wrote:Read it again, Bean!

Too lazy and it's a waste of my time, Armond is contrarian to the point of lunacy. I see what you mean by the topic title now, though.

Quote:Wait...what?

It wasn't a bad movie, I just didn't like it. Didn't like the pacing, eventually stopped caring bit about what happened on screen. I appreciate it as a movie and I like Fincher but I suppose it wasn't for me.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Dark Jaguar - 29th September 2010

I assume this is the movie about the people who created Facebook? It looks rather dull. This isn't the first sort of movie like this. It reminds me of all those other "latch onto an internet fad" movies, like "You've Got Mail" or that movie about Bill Gates working in a garage. It fills these guy's lives with a false sense of grandiose and all that fake fighting over "vision" nonsense that these things are filled with. Friends make a network, the popularity gets to one's head causing a rift, he eventually figures out what's REALLY important and makes amends and friends become friends again. Oh, plus a romantic interest. There's my prediction based on the trailers and past experience with this sort of thing.

Now a GOOD geek movie is Primer. It's not based in the real world (not like these sorts of movies are very reality based anyway) but the geeks involved actually talk like REAL geeks and engineers I've met, and the movie doesn't insult the audience. You've actually got to pay attention and if you miss certain details you get lost really fast.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - Great Rumbler - 30th September 2010

Quote:he eventually figures out what's REALLY important and makes amends and friends become friends again. Oh, plus a romantic interest. There's my prediction based on the trailers and past experience with this sort of thing.

I don't think that's what happens.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2010

Didn't you hear? He donated $100 million to charity, he's a good guy now! Rolleyes

But yes, in the movie, no, I highly doubt it.

Armond White confirms The Social Network as a great movie - etoven - 30th September 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:or that movie about Bill Gates working in a garage.
You mean pirates of silicon valley? That movie was awesome.. It protrade Steve Jobs as a fucking crazy serial killer, and Jobs said all of it was true.

My favorite part is when Jobs finds a bug in a programmers code who had litterly been working for three days (he was sleeping in his office) and Jobs strangled him.