Tendo City
Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations (/showthread.php?tid=5970)

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - A Black Falcon - 27th September 2010

I know I'm looking forward to it, Ken Burns' Baseball was outstanding, as are all of his documentaries, and this one picks up from where the original '90s series ended... it'll be about the steroid era, I imagine. I wonder how critical it'll be... Ken Burns usually likes to be positive.

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - Weltall - 27th September 2010

So, it details America's slow but steady transition away from baseball and into football?

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2010

No. This is about the best sport, not that other one. :)

Also, it was four hours long (two nights), and really good. Too bad no one else watched, evidently, it was great... covered both the good and bad sides of baseball over the last 20 years.

(But anyway, baseball hasn't lost popularity in the past decade, if anything it's gaining some I think...)

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - Fittisize - 30th September 2010

I watched about an hour of it, the portion I caught talked about the '94 strike and the slow demise of the Expos after that. I didn't watch much more than that (it was very interesting though, and I plan on watching the doc in full), but I wonder if he went into other aspects of the Expos franchise - Jeffrey Loria bailing out on the team... Major League Baseball moving a bunch of their home games to Peurto Rico... not allowing the Expos to call up minor league players in September when they were involved in a tight wildcard race... and all the other ways they were systematically dismantled and destroyed as a franchise by Major League Baseball. Come to think of it, why the fuck do I continue to support the MLB? It's clear they had a mission to get rid of the Expos.

Even the Expos AAA affiliate, the Edmonton Trappers, didn't survive, and are now in New Mexico. In fact, there are ZERO Triple-A teams in Canada - not too long ago, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, and Ottawa all had Triple-A teams, and Montreal and Toronto fielded big-league franchises. Now, only the Blue Jays remain. It's really frustrating because it appears that Major League Baseball has absolutely no interest in Canadian markets and isn't willing to give cities north of the border much of a chance.

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - etoven - 30th September 2010

It's funny..
People don't go to a baseball game in Salem expecting our team to win..
Are team is so bad, it's not really about winning anymore, its about a night out, eating some really good stadium food, drinking beer with there buddies, and watching our team try...

You have hand it to the Salem Redsocks fans they have allot of spirit..
Our team is like watching a special child run in a race.. He or she may come in last place... 3 Hours later.. But the victory is in trying.. :)

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2010

Stop writing in white etoven, it makes your posts almost invisible.

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - etoven - 30th September 2010

A Black Falcon Wrote:Stop writing in white etoven, it makes your posts almost invisible.

I'm not changing the color.. And it looks fine on the theme I'm using.

Ken Burns' Baseball, The 10th Inning airs today on most PBS stations - A Black Falcon - 29th October 2010

Fittisize Wrote:I watched about an hour of it, the portion I caught talked about the '94 strike and the slow demise of the Expos after that. I didn't watch much more than that (it was very interesting though, and I plan on watching the doc in full), but I wonder if he went into other aspects of the Expos franchise - Jeffrey Loria bailing out on the team... Major League Baseball moving a bunch of their home games to Peurto Rico... not allowing the Expos to call up minor league players in September when they were involved in a tight wildcard race... and all the other ways they were systematically dismantled and destroyed as a franchise by Major League Baseball. Come to think of it, why the fuck do I continue to support the MLB? It's clear they had a mission to get rid of the Expos.

Even the Expos AAA affiliate, the Edmonton Trappers, didn't survive, and are now in New Mexico. In fact, there are ZERO Triple-A teams in Canada - not too long ago, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, and Ottawa all had Triple-A teams, and Montreal and Toronto fielded big-league franchises. Now, only the Blue Jays remain. It's really frustrating because it appears that Major League Baseball has absolutely no interest in Canadian markets and isn't willing to give cities north of the border much of a chance.

You're absolutely right about this. It really is too bad what MLB has done to Canada... I'm sure it's all about marketshare and population, though. I mean, even the NHL has reduced the number of teams it has in Canada, and hockey is Canada's most popular sport. Still though, can I blame Loria for some of why the Expos moved? Loria's a pretty awful person, really slimy guy... he's been just as bad in charge of the Marlins as he was with the Expos. Only difference is, this time he managed to win his "build me a stadium or else" threats, and is getting a stadium...

But yeah, Canada deserves more than one team. I kind of liked the Expos, it's too bad they left.