Tendo City
Brand Name Slaves - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Brand Name Slaves (/showthread.php?tid=5869)

Brand Name Slaves - etoven - 18th July 2010

Thomas H Porter was a true American business man..
He actually sold brand name slaves.. That's right! The people he sold where forced to wear his logo like a pair of Levis Jeans!

You know you where getting quality, because the slave wore a Thomas Porter button on his or her shirt!

It just goes to show you what a horrible time we lived in..

Brand Name Slaves - Weltall - 18th July 2010

And now, people pay Thomas Hilfiger to wear his logo.

I'm forced to wonder if there where cheap knock offs of Thomas Porter Slaves.
Like Rolox or TimeMax...

Brand Name Slaves - Sacred Jellybean - 18th July 2010

You heard that NPR broadcast too, huh? :)

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:You heard that NPR broadcast too, huh? :)
Yes.. [Image: huh.gif]

Brand Name Slaves - Sacred Jellybean - 18th July 2010

Don't be ashamed, NPR buddy! High five for liberal slanted radio!

Brand Name Slaves - A Black Falcon - 18th July 2010

NPR is the only radio station I actually know the dial number for... I almost never listen to the radio, but in the rare chance that I do, that'd be what I listen to.

As for the thread topic... capitalism at work, I guess.

Brand Name Slaves - Dark Jaguar - 18th July 2010

NPR's got a bunch of nuts on it, only instead of right wing nuts it's left wing nuts. The only time I tuned in was to a completely credulous interview with Deepak Chopra... ugh...

Brand Name Slaves - Weltall - 18th July 2010

NPR has the only music on the radio worth listening to, though. Their news is pretty slanted, though, and it seems as though one of the requirements to being a male NPR correspondent is having a high-pitched voice, with soft lisps preferred. Applicants ideally portray an outright effeminate sound, but giving the impression that you're merely pre-pubescent is acceptable.

Brand Name Slaves - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2010

If by left-wing you mean that, now that Air America is dead, it's the only radio station not extremist right, then you'd be right... but otherwise, completely wrong. First, of course, it's not just a news station, that's only at certain times. Most of the rest of the time public radio plays music, political talks from various places, and their weekend lineup like A Prairie Home Companion, Car Talk, etc. Wide selection, lots of it good.

Brand Name Slaves - etoven - 19th July 2010

I agree! For Garrison Keillor to drag his 9,000 year old ass on stage every week and put on such a hell of a show, is nothing short of amazing. And NPR's the only place that has him.

Brand Name Slaves - Weltall - 19th July 2010

I find a measure of lulz in the fact that conservative talk radio is a successful series of business enterprises, and liberal talk radio exists only because it gets handouts from the government and charities. I'm not sure why my irony sense is tingling. :D

Brand Name Slaves - Sacred Jellybean - 19th July 2010

What's even more glorious is that NPR is a testament that the government can do some things better than the free market. ;) I don't mean just from a perspective of listening to something I agree with, either... slant or no, NPR news is much less biased than the fear-mongering heard in conservative talk radio.

Quote:it seems as though one of the requirements to being a male NPR correspondent is having a high-pitched voice, with soft lisps preferred. Applicants ideally portray an outright effeminate sound, but giving the impression that you're merely pre-pubescent is acceptable.

All NPR correspondents are

[Image: 882012-van_driessen_large.jpg]

By the way, Mike Judge tells two hilarious anecdotes when coming up with that character's voice, which you can hear on the tail-end of this Fresh Air interview (skip to about 36:35):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112203927

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:What's even more glorious is that NPR is a testament that the government can do some things better than the free market. ;) I don't mean just from a perspective of listening to something I agree with, either... slant or no, NPR news is much less biased than the fear-mongering heard in conservative talk radio.

True. People like the fear-mongering, though!

They only think they do. Big Brother's here to set'em straight. :colbert:

Brand Name Slaves - Dark Lord Neo - 19th July 2010

Does NPR constantly ask for money from listeners like PBS? Or does it actually survive on public funding?

They do, yeah. Most of their donations come from organization endowments and charities, though.

Brand Name Slaves - Sacred Jellybean - 20th July 2010

They don't do it constantly, DLN, but about three times a year they'll hold pledge drives where a lot of air time is taken by them begging for money. I'll donate at least 50 a year to them, they deserve it.