Tendo City
Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Les œuvres de Jules Verne (/showthread.php?tid=5860)

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Darunia - 14th July 2010

I know you're all familiar with his stories, but have you read any of them? They're just fantastic. 20,000 Leagues is my favorite book, and I just finished Around the World in 80 Days, and that was excellent too. I love the characters and the plots, and the very different 19th century politics and views on the world. For example, it's OK in the 1870's to depict barbarous Sioux attacking a train, and fending them off with muscle and firepower in truly adventurous spirit, killing a few of them in so doing... whereas, if written today, PC thugs (like half of the denizens of TC) would demand that the Sioux be depicted in a sympathetic light.

Discuss and praise his works in this thread.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - EdenMaster - 14th July 2010

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zzo8FsaFhoI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zzo8FsaFhoI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

...and in the stock market today, shares of esteem in EdenMaster fell precipitously, with investors in a free-falling sell mood after EdenMaster CEO, E. DenMaster, revealed that he is an illiterate couch potatoe.

"Yea... books, is like, dumb and stuff," he is quoted as having said to our reporter. "Like... I watches... TV and stuff... you know?" He went on to add. When asked about Darunia S. Goron, renouwned Goron mogul and emperor of all the known universe, and his high-profile endorsement of the literary works of Jules Verne, EdenMaster scoffed haughtily, and closed with, "Books is dumb. The TV comedian said so. I like to take all my morality from TV comedians like Jim Gaffigan."

Shares opened the day at 14,503 rupees apiece, and by the closing bell were fizzling down about 76 rupees--certifiable junk-grade, worth just a shade more than those of long-absent Tendite OB1, whose shares slipped during the afternoon to 59 rupees apiece.

--MOOKY MOOKERSON, WALL STREET JOURNAL

Man, have a sense of humor.

I actually don't watch much TV at all. I don't have cable and the increasingly obsolete rabbit ears I have jury rigged to it haven't been used in months. There are a few shows I watch, but all told, I watch very little television.

That said, I'll be honest when I say I'm not a huge reader, but every so often I'll find a book that interests me, usually non-fiction.

Man, have a sense of humor.

I'm sorry. I thought my comparing my esteem for you as a sort of topsy-turvy Wall Street was both at the time clever and humorous. I have failed you, and will now perform ritualist Goron suicide by falling upon my own bombflower patch.

Back in the old days we could have arguments and differing opinions without swearing eternal hatreds on one another.

Well, not the OLDEST days when we called each other faggots for liking a different game console, maybe the middle-ish days.

Would you like a big 'ol Goron hug, like the one I gave to Link after he liberated the Dodongo's Cavern?

Darunia Wrote:Would you like a big 'ol Goron hug, like the one I gave to Link after he liberated the Dodongo's Cavern?

Didn't he run from that hug?

He did and it hurt my feelings considerably. All I wanted to do was embrace him in thanks for what he'd done. He didn't have to be so cold. I get so lonely sometimes. :psyduck:

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2010

I have to admit, though I love fantasy and sci-fi books, but I never really read Jules Verne... I mostly read much more recent stuff. I have read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but that's Mark Twain... I should have read Jules Verne's stuff at some point, though. :(

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Sacred Jellybean - 14th July 2010

I didn't know Jules Verne wrote Around the World in 80 Days. I'm more inclined to pick it up if that's the case.

I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea my senior year of high school (it wasn't assigned reading, I just love underwater life) and it was fantastic. So fantastic, that I picked up the 1993 movie at Blockbuster, plopped down with a smile on my face... and then proceeded to be probably the most disappointed I'd ever been in any movie up until that point.

I wrote a huge rant on how awful it was on here, I wish we still had it (we don't have archives from 2002, right?). They replaced the ultra-faggoty subservient Smithers clone Consiel with a different character - Professor Arronax's daughter who dressed like a man to get on the ship that collides with the submarine in the beginning - so they could tie in a torrid love triangle between her and Ned and Captain Nemo. God damn I was pissed.

I think I was even more mad that they didn't have giant squids, but instead, an awful CGI giant manta ray of some kind. What a crummy budget, and an even worse script, no wonder it was only a stupid made-for-TV movie. Fuck you, Rod Hardy and Brian Nelson (director and teleplay writer). Mad

Anyway, I've been meaning to re-read the original novel forever, so I guess I know what to go to next if I don't want to buy another book (reading through HP Lovecraft tales right now).

ABF, recommend me more Mark Twain. I've only read Tom Sawyer (high school reading assignment, and I liked it), Huckleberry Finn (more recently, last year, loved it) and The Mysterious Stranger (excellent book though you can tell it was cobbled together by different edits and that the ending pretty much comes out of nowhere, and is probably only interesting to Solipsists, though it made my jaw drop and I loved it).

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Weltall - 14th July 2010

EdenMaster Wrote:Back in the old days we could have arguments and differing opinions without swearing eternal hatreds on one another.

Well, not the OLDEST days when we called each other faggots for liking a different game console, maybe the middle-ish days.

If Darunia engaged in any kind of interpersonal interaction of any kind and the swearing of eternal hatreds was absent, I would have to do IP checks to make sure his account wasn't hacked. I wouldn't want some imposter exercising moderating powers. Imagine the mayhem!

SPELLCHECK FUN: 'IMPOSTER' IS APPARENTLY NOT A PART OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!

If Darunia engaged in any kind of interpersonal interaction of any kind and the swearing of eternal hatreds was absent, I would have to do IP checks to make sure his account wasn't hacked. I wouldn't want some imposter exercising moderating powers. Imagine the mayhem!

I'm glad somebody gets me on here.

ABF, recommend me more Mark Twain.

I read a lot of his stuff in college, and I ADORED his early short stories... the funny ones... I recommend A Day at Niagara, The Stolen White Elephant, and Political Economy.

I wrote a huge rant on how awful it was on here, I wish we still had it (we don't have archives from 2002, right?). They replaced the ultra-faggoty subservient Smithers clone Consiel with a different character - Professor Arronax's daughter who dressed like a man to get on the ship that collides with the submarine in the beginning - so they could tie in a torrid love triangle between her and Ned and Captain Nemo. God damn I was pissed.

I saw several minutes of the same version and arrived at the same conclusion. But don't be so quick to dismiss Conseil. Verne seems to always employ peon assistants in his major works... in Around the World, it was the faithful and loyal Passepartout... who is, basically, the exact same character as Conseil. I think that Vernes' employing strictly male main characters is reflective of the Victorian era world in which these were written. Women just weren't thought of in that light; exploring the world and going on adventures was a man's domain. That said, their having replaced Conseil with a daughter... is taking SO MUCH FUCKING LICENSE to alter something that should not be altered...

I think I was even more mad that they didn't have giant squids, but instead, an awful CGI giant manta ray of some kind. What a crummy budget, and an even worse script, no wonder it was only a stupid made-for-TV movie. Fuck you, Rod Hardy and Brian Nelson (director and teleplay writer).

I never saw that part, and I'm glad. I imagine a manta ray must have been much easier to animate than a squid, what with all the moving tentacles.

By the way, have you seen the Disney version? It was a good, fun film, but (of course) not even close to a faithful adaptation of the novel. The ending in NO WAY resembled the actual end of the book. Disney also, sad to say, took quite a bit of free license in their version.

I was actually just joking around, I liked Conseil as a character and admired his dedication. I was just laughing a little at the same time. :) I was in high school...

I wouldn't have minded a female character (but the point you bring out is a good one), it was just... so... cheesy. Did they have to add that completely pointless subplot? I probably wouldn't have even minded if it was well done, if the characters were fleshed out and interesting, not just Arronax's daughter saying "oh golly gee I'm in love with Ned but Nemo's in charge and he wants me and I don't want him what do I do :(". Ugh.

Also, they completely fucked up Ned. Ned wasn't a crazy Canadian dim-witted whaling manly man comic-relief character like in the book, just a manly man, with plenty of shots of him in wet shirts to accentuate his build, and a homoerotic scene where's chained up and overacting like a mother fucker to look brave and determined. He didn't even have a fucking accent. They probably changed him to American or something because the dumbass D-list actor couldn't throw in a couple "eh"s.

Never seen or heard of the Disney movie. Actually, I remember there being a ride at Disney World, so I guess I did hear about it in a sense, but nah. When was it made? I love old animation, I wish I could just catch it on TV or something and put it on in the background instead of wasting a Netflix rental on it.

1954. You'll agree it's vastly innacurrate compared with the novel. But it's fun. Worth a gander.

IMDB

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Fittisize - 14th July 2010

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:ABF, recommend me more Mark Twain. I've only read Tom Sawyer (high school reading assignment, and I liked it), Huckleberry Finn (more recently, last year, loved it) and The Mysterious Stranger (excellent book though you can tell it was cobbled together by different edits and that the ending pretty much comes out of nowhere, and is probably only interesting to Solipsists, though it made my jaw drop and I loved it).

I'm not ABF but I'd recommend Life on the Mississippi. It's an extremely interesting and entertaining memoir with Civil War undertones and other stuff. Plus it comes with all the Twain style and witticisms you've come to expect. Gotta love that Old South shit. According to Wikipedia, it was the first typewritten manuscript ever submitted to a publisher.

I can't say much about Twain beyond Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Connecticut Yankee, I really have never much liked 19th century fiction... or most of the books, plays, short stories, whatever that you read in English class, really. Probably the best books I can remember reading in high school English classes were 1984 and Brave New World... both sci-fi. :)

As for Connecticut Yankee, it really is quite good. That book is the originator of the entire "person from the present gets sent back to the past" genre, as far as I know -- if there were any such stories before it, I don't know about them. That plotline has of course since then become one of the most cliche of fantasy-story cliches, but even considering that, Connecticut Yankee is original and different first because of how great a writer Twain is and second because the story doesn't go the way you "expect" it to going by modern "person from today goes to the past" stories... Really, it's more like the more recent subgenre that includes books like the series that includes "Against the Tide of Years" and "On the Oceans of Eternity" that I forget the name of offhand, or the 1632 series -- stories with no magic aside from whatever sent the people into the past, and, in the modern ones particularly, a real attempt for historical accuracy in the places they go (I really love both of the serieses I just mentioned, they're just fantastic... though the 1632 universe particularly really is written for people who love both history and political history. They're fantastic books and stories which I love, but I'm sure some people won't like the degree of detail they go into...).

The Connecticut Yankee isn't quite like those, it is going to King Arthur's court after all, but ... well, it's not the Mallory version of King Arthur (On that note, Mallory's Morte 'd Artur is a great book, read that one in highschool and really liked it -- though of course the Middle Ages have always fascinated me)... but I won't spoil anything. :)

Quote:I wouldn't have minded a female character (but the point you bring out is a good one), it was just... so... cheesy. Did they have to add that completely pointless subplot? I probably wouldn't have even minded if it was well done, if the characters were fleshed out and interesting, not just Arronax's daughter saying "oh golly gee I'm in love with Ned but Nemo's in charge and he wants me and I don't want him what do I do ". Ugh.

The Lord of the Rings movies expanded the roles of several of the major female characters, the 2000s Battlestar Galactica series changed one (or more?) of the major characters from female to male to better balance the genders, etc... that's something that's often done now. Is it less accurate? Yes. If you're making a movie which is actually trying for real accuracy to the original story, don't do it. But if you're making a modern adaptation, I think it's a good idea... it compensates for the biases of the writers, hopefully without hurting the story. That, of course, depends on how good the adaptation is, which is a different issue.

The Lord of the Rings movies expanded the roles of several of the major female characters, the 2000s Battlestar Galactica series changed one (or more?) of the major characters from female to male to better balance the genders, etc... that's something that's often done now. Is it less accurate? Yes. If you're making a movie which is actually trying for real accuracy to the original story, don't do it. But if you're making a modern adaptation, I think it's a good idea... it compensates for the biases of the writers, hopefully without hurting the story. That, of course, depends on how good the adaptation is, which is a different issue.

I hate it when they do that. I refuse to watch the relaunch of Galactica... and I really liked the old one. You don't update and change things like that... not THAT drastically. Making huge changes (like gender) is the lowest, basest and most vile form of political correction. Race is another example... but I have deja vu all of a sudden because I know we've already been here before with this topic. It makes my blood boil. If you want a balanced fruity utopia with proportioned races and men/women in equality, make your own fruity gay leftist utopia show. Do NOT take some pre-existing franchise and alter it so that it's not longer what it was, but some hideous Frankenstein.

The new Galactica is a completely different show. It's a relaunch, not a remake of the original. The series needed more female characters, there were far too few in the old show. It was either add more or change some, and they chose the latter...

I stopped watching it after a season or so because it's such a dark and depressing show that I stopped wanting to watch it (seriously, the new BSG show is very bleak...), but the fact remains, the change was definitely needed, and in that at least they improved things. You can't do sci-fi shows now with like one female character in a large cast. It's unrealistic by modern standards, sexist, and will turn off a big part of your prospective audience.

Quote:Making huge changes (like gender) is the lowest, basest and most vile form of political correction.

Switching genders is a "huge change"? Uh... no, not it's not. It's a small change that has a positive impact on the show, but "huge change"... no way. That makes no sense.

It's the depressing, dark direction they took the show in that was the "huge change", not the gender or color of the characters.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Great Rumbler - 15th July 2010

Female Starbuck is awesome.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Darunia - 15th July 2010

Switching genders is a "huge change"? Uh... no, not it's not. It's a small change that has a positive impact on the show, but "huge change"... no way. That makes no sense.

Really? Gender-swapping isn't a big deal? There is so little difference between a man and a woman, that if you swap them, you won't see a big change? Changing a long-established character's gender won't at all alter the entire chemistry of the character? It won't drastically alter the relationships between said character, and every other character? So if 1970's man Starbuck romanced a woman, and then 2000's Starbuck is a woman, dating a woman, that isn't a drastic choice? The sheer scale of the social and topical issues that flow into the show now (this annoying trend of having head-strong testy women in dominant roles in every movie and TV show now) isn't a big change? If they relaunched Star Wars and made Darth Vader a woman, it wouldn't be a big change? If we elected a woman president in 2012, you wouldn't at all be impressed, right? Because it's not a big change?

Why don't you just stop complaining about it and go watch it for yourself? You might actually enjoy it.

Why don't you go haul fish up an alley?

Done it, leaves a lot to be desired.

Then clearly, Sir, you were not doing it right. If done correctly, hauling fish up an alley is one of the true pleasures in life.

And with that, this thread is deceased.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - A Black Falcon - 15th July 2010

If you haven't even seen the show, Darunia, how do you know how big of a change that was? Believe me when I say that that was the least of the differences between the two series...

I wouldn't have wanted to see it whether they gave Starbuck a vaginoplasty or not. That just irked me as the mos immediately visible change.

The new Battlestar Galactica is a complete re-imagining of the series, lots of stuff is changes. But it's also REALLY good. Although, knowing you, the religious underpinnings of the show will turn you off faster than Starbuck being a woman will.

the religious underpinnings

Do tell...

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Sacred Jellybean - 15th July 2010

Darunia: They took my white males!! [Image: negativeman-55f.png]

Ummm... I do NOT look like Spongebob Squarepants. I'm a ten-foot-tall muscular Goron alpha male. I refuse to be referred to by such an wimpish avatar.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Sacred Jellybean - 15th July 2010

I always saw him as sort of a caramel candy bar.

Which means you're selling out your own race. Uncle Tom.

I met you once at Drexel.

Darunia Wrote:the religious underpinnings

Do tell...

Religion plays a role in the series. Cylons are monotheistic and the human are polytheistic.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Darunia - 16th July 2010

You poor weak-minded fool. If you think the concept of a religion in a fictional story would anger me, you've learnt nothing. No more than I would be angry about reading about Zeus in a Greek comedy, that does not bother me at all. Not one iota. It's not even a real religion. Writing about hypothetical religions in fiction? I couldn't care less, really.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Great Rumbler - 16th July 2010

You'll probably hate the ending though. Lol

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - EdenMaster - 16th July 2010

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Sacred Jellybean - 16th July 2010

He doesn't have any holes. (I know because I was nerdy enough to copy the image and blow it up in MSPaint to make sure my monitor doesn't just suck). How absorbant could he be, hot shot? :colbert:

On the other hand, he looks sorta tasty.

Quote:I met you once at Drexel.

I know.

[Image: goronshake.jpg]

I stood that far away because the last rocks he ate had rotten moss on them.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Darunia - 16th July 2010

LOL I struck such a defiant, enigmatic, heroic, epic pose and you're like... 'hey." And then we went off to that party down the street and rambled on and on about old video games. Ah, memories.

Let me know if you're in the area again, I'm sure there's lots of ground we didn't cover. Plus, you're probably the only one around here who occasionally enjoys a good puff, therefore we must get stoned together.

Les œuvres de Jules Verne - Weltall - 16th July 2010

We ought to get the whole crew (all six of us) together for some of that.

I've never seen Toven get fucked up before but I'm certain it would be worth watching.

Or even better, ASM. toven is ASM-lite.