Tendo City
Summer 2010 Anime - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Summer 2010 Anime (/showthread.php?tid=5853)

Pages: 1 2

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 13th July 2010

I'm not going to watch a bunch of lame shows like I did last season just to see whether they're lame or not. If they look lame, I won't watch them. If the first episode of something that doesn't, as first glance, look lame turns out to be lame, I won't watch anymore of it. Easy!

High School of the Dead

Zombies attack a high school. There's action. There's fanservice. Do you need to know anything else?

Shiki

An odd pairing of bizarre horror and humor, although the former is more abundant towards the end of the first episode. I'm not really sure what to think, but the mystery of the show, and the rural setting, have drawn me in enough to watch more.

Coming soon: Occult Academy and Asobi ni Iku Yo.

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2010

I'm re-watching Escaflowne (still a very good show...) and going through El Cazador, so I haven't gotten to anything from this season yet... from what I've seen of the list though nothing looks amazing. But of course, summer TV usually isn't here, are things any different in Japan?

Summer 2010 Anime - Unreadphilosophy - 13th July 2010

I started watching a new series that was recently released called Kanokan. The series revolves around a first-year high school student named Kauto. Kauto was transferred from the country to the big city, and is trying to get adjusted to life in an urban environment.

Kouta has an energetic and perverted friend named Chizuru. Chizuru has a major crush on Kouta, and loves to embarrass him by getting her breasts right into his face.

One day, Chizuru accidentally unveils her major secret to Kouta: she's a Aphrodite. OK, I'm kidding. The real secret is that she's a kitsune (fox) spirit.

The anime is composed of 12 episodes, and it basically shows the mishaps and adventures that the two get into.

Now I want to make one thing clear: this is an extremely ecchi (perverted/mild hentai) anime. I mean, I've seen some ecchi anime--i.e. Love Hina--in the past, but nothing compares to this. I don't know what it is with the Japanese and big-breasted high school girls, but I certainly hope it's something that they never get tired of using in anime.[Image: emot-fuckyou.gif][Image: emot-fuckyou.gif][Image: emot-fuckyou.gif] And when I say "big-breasted," I'm not referring to mildly bigger than most girls. I'm talking about the kind of boobs that you want to reach into your computer screen and touch. I know I sound kind of perverted there, but seriously: your eyes will expand on more than one occasion when you watch this series.WoahWoah

At the moment, I think I'm on episode five or six. I should have the series done by tomorrow.

Summer 2010 Anime - Weltall - 15th July 2010

[Image: 340x_god_hates_fags_12-25-2002-copy.jpg]

Summer 2010 Anime - Unreadphilosophy - 15th July 2010

Hmmm. Well, if they have anime in Hell, I don't think I'll be too disappointed.[Image: wink.gif][Image: wink.gif][Image: wink.gif]

Have you ever watched anime, Ryan?

Summer 2010 Anime - Weltall - 15th July 2010

Cowboy Bebop.

Summer 2010 Anime - Unreadphilosophy - 15th July 2010

^I was never able to get into that anime. I tried a few times, but failed to have any interest sparked in me.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2010

Occult Academy - If Sam Raimi made an anime series, it would probably be something like this. Maya, the daughter of a private school principal, shows up late to her father's funeral, just in time to see his corpse reanimated by a lamia. The school has a reputation for this sort of thing and Maya wants to put a stop to it for good. Unfortunately, there's also a time agent from the future that wants to stop aliens from taking over the world and who believes that the school is at the center of the whole thing. There are also other shady things going on. It's fairly over the top and doesn't take itself too seriously which, for the most part, works in the show's favor.

Asobi ni Iku Yo - I really want to like this show, I really do. Because it really feels like the creators are trying to make this show more than it is. Unfortunately, they aren't entirely successful. The setup is that an airheaded cat girl alien with huge breasts comes to Earth to have fun and ends up living with a bland, personality-free male character that wouldn't stand out in a lineup of one. The male character also has a hot female friend, an emotionless female friend, and a female teacher. Normally I'd have shut this off after the first minute. But, get this, his hot female friend is actually a gun-nut bounty hunter, his teacher works for some shadowy corporation on the side, and his emotionless friend is some kind of living weapon. Yeah. Also, the first few minutes consistent of a cool scifi battle where lots of modern-day pirates get totally jacked up. So...ehh...I really want them to ditch the idiotic harem nonsense and the awful male character, but that probably won't happen.

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 20th July 2010

Occult Academy does sound interesting, I'll try it...

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2010

Escaflowne - Watched up through ep. 20. I remembered liking the show a lot, but didn't remember a lot of the details... it really is a very good show. It's not incredibly original, but it's just done so well, from the world to the plot to the exceptional music to the total lack of filler in the series. It is perhaps a little rushed, as they try to get through the story in only 26 episodes, but it's not too bad, and I like the total lack of filler, it makes it different from most other animes. A lot happens in every episode. As for the most recent episode, I think Hitomi had her lowlight in the series in the most recent episode... at least she realized it at the end, though.

(I will say, though, how many times can the place the main characters are in get destroyed and burned to the ground in one series... it almost gets a little old after a while. I know, Zaibach is incredibly strong. Still, it is perhaps overdone. Overall though the plot is pretty well done, and the action just as good. There's a lot of both.)

Asobi no Iku Yo 01 - the first 10 minutes (after the intro battle) are insufferably generic harem stuff, the next 10... this is not going to go well... Lol

Occult Academy 01 - Seemed good (but not great), I will watch more. I can see why she hates the occult... :)

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 28th July 2010

Occult Academy 03 -- I liked the first two episodes, but the third one... ick. This main character guy is an annoying pain, and this episode centers around him... it makes it painfully bad. The girl who is the main character of the show's interesting, but this guy is an idiot... episode 3 was definitely the worst so far. Okay series though overall, so far, I guess.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2010

The fourth episode is a lot better.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 29th July 2010

I started watching The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye this week. It's been out forever and I've been wanting to watch it forever, but just never got around to it.

Having watched the first four episodes, I really wish that I'd gotten around to it sooner. It's a really good show, lots of energy, fun character [for the most part, more on that later], and the animation is really good. I also like the setting, post-apocalyptic-ish wasteland with some extra scifi added on top.

The bad? Well there's a bit. The main male character is just too plain and inoffensive to be interesting. It's not like a harem anime male lead, not quite that bad, but he just doesn't really bring anything to the table in the early going. This does appear to be changing slightly as the series progresses, but first impression isn't positive. Also, although the main female character, who is also the protagonist, looks about 12 [though she's said to be 17, go figure] does become the subject of fanservice on occasion, although really only overtly so in one episode in particular so far. It's not all the time in your face, but it is there.

Those two things aside, it's been really good so far and I can't wait until Netflix ships volume 2.

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 30th July 2010

Asobi no Iku Yo 02 - Chances for show to be anything other than awful averted. Oh well, it's not like I exactly had much hopes for the show.

Summer 2010 Anime - Dark Jaguar - 30th July 2010

I have something to say.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1j5cmNGdTLk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1j5cmNGdTLk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 30th July 2010

We do have a thread for random Youtube videos. This isn't it.

Quote:Asobi no Iku Yo 02 - Chances for show to be anything other than awful averted. Oh well, it's not like I exactly had much hopes for the show.

Yeah, I'd say that last scene where they introduced TWO MORE cat aliens pretty much seals it.

That is to say, the harem's falling into place and expanding. The girls (friend, emotionless girl) can't bear to attack him, of course, so they switch sides and are supporting him now (eg. they have joined the harem for sure). The catgirl destroys tanks with cute robots and a hammer. Generic guy is generic. I don't know if I'll continue, it's really dumb... likely not, it's too stupid.

Quote:Yeah, I'd say that last scene where they introduced TWO MORE cat aliens pretty much seals it.

Indeed.

Yeah, just wait until you watch episode 3, if you ever do. It's worse, in every conceivable way possible. This show will never be as good as the first episode teased it would be.

It's trash. Utter trash.

Great Rumbler Wrote:We do have a thread for random Youtube videos. This isn't it.

Your face isn't it!

No, DJ, it isn't.

Great Rumbler Wrote:Yeah, just wait until you watch episode 3, if you ever do. It's worse, in every conceivable way possible. This show will never be as good as the first episode teased it would be.

It's trash. Utter trash.

I assume you have dropped it, then?

Is anything this season other than Occult Academy worth watching at all...

Your face too!

Shiki is pretty good, and there's always High School of the Dead if your down with zombies + fan service.

Yeah, I've dropped Asobi Ni Ikuyo. I was ready after the end of episode 2, but I decided to skim episode 3 and see if it got any better. It was so much worse.

Oh right, High School of the Dead... haven't watched that, but I have several episodes of it. I think I read a chapter or two of the manga years ago, it seemed okay but not that great. I'm sure I'll try it at some point though.

I don't know Shiki, though. (I am wondering, though, what you mean by "so much worse"... do I want to know?)

Okay, here's episode 3:

-A bunch of new alien girls show up, with huge breasts
-They meet with Japan's leaders wearing school swimsuits
-Kio's house becomes an alien embassy
-The cat girl comes in while Kio is bathing and there's much hilarity
-The other two girls misunderstand and beat up Kio
-Someone breaks into the house while the two girls are bathing and a nude action scene ensues
-The end.

Also, if you're wondering, it's much worse than my description.

Quote:I don't know Shiki, though.

It's gothic lolita horror! But actually pretty good. It's not steeped in fanservice, it doesn't constantly jump between humor and creepiness [it's pretty much all creepiness], and it looks pretty good. You should give it a shot.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 3rd August 2010

Hey, ABF did you ever finish watching Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao?

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 3rd August 2010

Yes. I wrote a pretty long post about how confused it left me in the Neogaf anime thread, want me to try to find it and post it here? :)

Quote:t isn't a terrible set-up for a climax, but the restricted time frame—made all the more so by the occasional return to romantic complications best left in limbo—leaves it no space to unfold. Events are mashed up against one another like frightened sardines in a particularly small can, and you can practically see the series eyeing its watch as it plows through emotional confrontations, stripping them of all resonance. The pace is hectic, the progression of events is sloppy, and betrayals of character are common as there is no time to sufficiently justify anyone's behavior. The effect is disastrous, lending even the most obviously premeditated events an air of pulled-from-the-rear randomness. Akuto's long-anticipated transformation in particular is so flagrantly unconvincing that it fairly burns the enjoyment out of the entire climax. And then, just to bake the ashes a little more, the series reaches for the reset button, looks you right in the eye, and presses it. Crash. Burn. And with any luck, never return.

So catastrophic is the narrative self-destruction that it's difficult to honestly enjoy even the non-plot-dependent qualities. The pervasive high-end fan-service becomes a hindrance during the climax, time being an endangered resource even before panty shots start eating it up. The way the intrusive censorship yanks us out of the fights doesn't help either. From a purely technical perspective, the fights themselves are excellent. Their mix of impact-heightening shortcuts, punchy intercutting, smartly-deployed animation, and magical CGI glitz is rock-solid, and the inclusion of the student council and various ninjas and villains mixes things up nicely. But while undeniably cool, they aren't very interesting—a direct consequence of us not caring whether the participants live or are reduced to ectoplasm.

... Is that part of a post you made about it or something? Where's the beginning?

No, thankfully I did not watch past the first episode.

It's an excerpt from here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/demon-king-daimao/episodes-7

Well if you read my posts there, I honestly find the crazily confusing plot to be the worst thing about the show... do I want to watch part of it again in the hopes that maybe there is some kind of explanation there that probably doesn't exist (not really, no, I'm not doing that), or just give up on it for just being completely confusing and nonsensical... but I was just so confused by the plot. It's like they tried to put in a lot of depth, but either were so rushed in how quickly they had to tell it all (I think that was definitely part of the problem) or the people doing the anime were so confused about how it was supposed to go that it ended up half nonsense. Flashy nonsense, but unintelligible nonsense all the same.

Quote:So catastrophic is the narrative self-destruction that it's difficult to honestly enjoy even the non-plot-dependent qualities. The pervasive high-end fan-service becomes a hindrance during the climax, time being an endangered resource even before panty shots start eating it up. The way the intrusive censorship yanks us out of the fights doesn't help either. From a purely technical perspective, the fights themselves are excellent. Their mix of impact-heightening shortcuts, punchy intercutting, smartly-deployed animation, and magical CGI glitz is rock-solid, and the inclusion of the student council and various ninjas and villains mixes things up nicely. But while undeniably cool, they aren't very interesting—a direct consequence of us not caring whether the participants live or are reduced to ectoplasm.

I sort of agree with this, they should have focused more on the fighting and less on the plot. The people doing the series were good at doing fight scenes. It's too bad that they wasted so much of their talents on plot almost no one watching could understand... they should have had more fighting instead. :)

Quote:It isn't a terrible set-up for a climax, but the restricted time frame—made all the more so by the occasional return to romantic complications best left in limbo—leaves it no space to unfold. Events are mashed up against one another like frightened sardines in a particularly small can, and you can practically see the series eyeing its watch as it plows through emotional confrontations, stripping them of all resonance. The pace is hectic, the progression of events is sloppy, and betrayals of character are common as there is no time to sufficiently justify anyone's behavior. The effect is disastrous, lending even the most obviously premeditated events an air of pulled-from-the-rear randomness. Akuto's long-anticipated transformation in particular is so flagrantly unconvincing that it fairly burns the enjoyment out of the entire climax. And then, just to bake the ashes a little more, the series reaches for the reset button, looks you right in the eye, and presses it. Crash. Burn. And with any luck, never return.

I think that this is based on a light novel series, and yes, as I said repeatedly in that post of mine, it was very obvious that they were very rushed in trying to fit the whole thing into 12 episodes... I think they really needed more. That or they should have simplified the plot enough to fit into the time they had. As it was, it just did not work.

I wouldn't bash it quite as hard as that guy though, I did care about the characters, and I definitely was entertained some of the time... but yes, it was not a good series overall. Was it worth watching anyway, for light entertainment? Maybe, I'm not sure. But either way it certainly was stupid. Oh well, what else would you really expect with this kind of show...

Well, here's the thing: After all the harem nonsense and over-adundance of fanservice you STILL expected that the plot would ever actually get enough time to go anywhere and/or make sense!

Asobi ni Ikuyo is doing the same thing and it'll end the same way. That's why I dropped it after skimming through the third episode.

Quote:But either way it certainly was stupid.

You should just watch, or rewatch, Record of Lodoss War instead and leave Ichiban Ushiro no Daimao and it's ilk where they fall.

I don't know, I've seen Record of Lodoss War twice, unfortunately, and it's so uninteresting... I really don't like that show much. I've only seen the original 12 or 13 episode series, but it doesn't exactly make me want to ever watch anything else in the franchise... I'd probably rather watch Daimao. It won't make sense, but it isn't worse than Lodoss War, overall, at least.

... Well okay, maybe it is, but really, not by much, and even if it's worse I don't know if I dislike it more... maybe not... they're both stupid.

Quote:Well, here's the thing: After all the harem nonsense and over-adundance of fanservice you STILL expected that the plot would ever actually get enough time to go anywhere and/or make sense!

Shouldn't I at least be able to hope that they would explain enough of the plot for it to make some kind of vague sense? I mean, a lot of bad animes do at least that...

Oh, and at least most of the female characters are decent fighters, and the other male character too. As I said Akito wins mostly because of his main character "everybody loves me" powers than because he's so unstoppable, several of hte other characters could have been decent competition if they'd tried. Of course being the kind of show it is they didn't, but still it is something -- I think the stuff I like least is when they don't just do this stupidity, but make the female characters helpless, powerless, or stupid worthless idiots on top of that. Now that I can't stand...

Quote:Asobi ni Ikuyo is doing the same thing and it'll end the same way. That's why I dropped it after skimming through the third episode.

I don't know, Asobi no Iku Yo definitely rubs me the wrong way more... part of it is probably that it's modern day stuff instead of fantasy, while I prefer fantasy, but also the characters are much less interesting and more generic (and worse; yes, as I said I did actually like some of the Daimao characters), the plot seems mostly nonexistent (yes, Daimao had an incomprehensible plot, but they tried...)... the whole thing is just really, really awful and unwatchably bad exploitative harem junk.

I know Daimao shares some of those flaws, but still, I don't think it's quite as bad. :)

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 4th August 2010

Quote:I'd probably rather watch Daimao. It won't make sense, but it isn't worse than Lodoss War, overall, at least.

... Well okay, maybe it is, but really, not by much, and even if it's worse I don't know if I dislike it more... maybe not... they're both stupid.

Quote:I know Daimao shares some of those flaws, but still, I don't think it's quite as bad.

Sometimes I really don't understand you.

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 4th August 2010

What? I didn't like Lodoss War very much... so generic and uninteresting... boring characters I didn't care much about, very generic plot, nothing original or interesting about it aside from that it was a somewhat early show of that type. It's just not that good.

Oh yeah, as for High School of the Dead, I don't really like zombie things that much (I've never seen a zombie movie for instance...), so I doubt I'll be watching. Somehow zombie videogames like The House of the Dead and Zombie Revenge don't bother me, but the show... I don't know, not really my thing.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 4th August 2010

I don't know, it doesn't get much more generic than "lol fanservice" and "let's cram in an incomprehensible plot at the last second", if you ask me.

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 5th August 2010

Occult Academy 04 - decent episode, but Bunpei is so, so annoying...

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 17th August 2010

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2010

I watched the first three episodes of Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan. Okay show for its genre, though the female main character needs to get rescued by the various guys with irritating frequency (like once an episode at least). Still, not too bad.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 12th September 2010

Reverse harem :/

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 12th September 2010

True, but at least it's got a somewhat interesting setting, being set in the Meiji Revolution era in the 1860s. It's not yet another modern day high school show... it does have some fighting, as you'd expect from a show about the Shinsengumi. It's also not nearly as fanservicey as your average (male-main-character) harem show is.

Still though, yes, it's definitely a reverse harem show.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 12th September 2010

Watch House of Five Leaves instead. It's streaming right now on Hulu.

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 12th September 2010

I did watch the first episode of that and it seemed good, I should continue...

Summer 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 17th September 2010

Black Rock Shooter - as the first episode of a longer series this would be okay, though somewhat boring, but as a standalone it doesn't work well... nothing much happens until late in the 50-minute OVA.

Summer 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 17th September 2010

It's just an advertisement for a line of expensive dolls.

They gave out thousands of DVD of Black Rock Shooter for FREE. And we're talking about Japan, a place where DVDs still cost $40-$50.

It was never meant to have some coherent story.

If it's just meant as a Black Rock Shooter ad, then why is Mato and the real world on screen for 80%+ of the time, and BRS and the other world like 10-20%? You'd think that if that was all it was, it'd be mostly about, well, Black Rock Shooter fighting the badguys. It's not.

No, as I said, it feels much more like the first episode of a series. And if it is that, and they continue it at some point, it'll be a decent episode. The problem is if this is all there is, because while it's an okay (not great, but okay, more BRS would have made it better) first episode, it's pretty poor as a stand alone film. It all depends on whether it continues or not.

As for the plot, the real world side is reasonably well explained. The characters don't have a lot of depth, but it's enough for what it is. Nothing about the other world or the characters in it is explained, but if it's a series I'm sure they would eventually.

It's a marketing tool, don't think too hard about it.

But the whole point I'm trying to say is, that's definitely not how it comes across. Wouldn't a marketing tool be more about the character you're supposedly marketing?

No, it feels like the first episode of an anime.