Tendo City
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! (/showthread.php?tid=5845)

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Darunia - 12th July 2010

Everytime I'm playing a strategy game, and I hit pause to plan an attack or defense, this FUCKING ANNOYING WINDOWS WINDOW OPENS AND IT MINIMIZES MY GAME. TELL ME WHAT IT IS AND HOW I CAN FUCKING OBLITERATE IT.

[Image: FuckingAnnoying.jpg]

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - EdenMaster - 12th July 2010

Can't help you, never seen it before. Looks like a Num/Caps/Scroll Lock indicator though. Does your keyboard have software perhaps that might be causing it?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Dark Jaguar - 12th July 2010

Which strategy game? Which pause button? Are you actually hitting the "pause" button on your keyboard? Protip, don't do that.

And yes, it's possible your keyboard uses (in most cases completely unnecessary and annoying) extra keyboard software. How to get rid of it? Eh I can't do this without looking at it...

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Weltall - 12th July 2010

Is that . . . Windows 98??

Does your keyboard have software perhaps that might be causing it?

Possibly. I certainly never installed any. Also, I'm not using the default keyboard that came with the system; I'm using a super-old IBM clicky one.

Which strategy game?

Cossacks: Back to War

Which pause button?

"Pause"

Are you actually hitting the "pause" button on your keyboard? Protip, don't do that.[b/]

I don't know that I can alter the keybindings for pausing to a different key.

[b]And yes, it's possible your keyboard uses (in most cases completely unnecessary and annoying) extra keyboard software. How to get rid of it? Eh I can't do this without looking at it...

The keyboard that came with it is a Gateway. I'm using now, as I said, an old clunky IBM one.

On another topic, I must have configured my computer wrong when I bought it, because I am constantly unable to do things, and it says I need permission. I must have fucked up the user log-on thingamajig, because this is my fucking computer and I need no permission from nobody nohow. Tell me how to rectify it pweese.

OK, looks like it might be a Windows option called Toggle Keys. Try holding down the Num Lock key for five seconds and see if that brings up a prompt. If not, try going to Control Panel -> Accessibility Options and see if there is a box to uncheck.

Hope this helps. I too know the pain of unwanted minimizing. Having a switch which disables the cursed Windows key was a selling point for my current keyboard :D

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - A Black Falcon - 12th July 2010

I was playing a DOS game recently which uses Control, Alt, and Tab all for important functions... the problems there should be pretty obvious. Want to sidestep while you change targets? Oops, you just task-switched out of DOSBox! Bah! :)

I know you can solve it by disabling Alt-Tab in DOSBox, but that isn't a perfect solution either, because alt-tab can be useful...

Turns out that it was indeed a sleeper program that ran with my old Gateway keyboard. I had to track down where it was saved and manually delete it, but it's resolved now--allah be praised.

There ya go. Really though, the keyboard's "pause" button is not meant to pause games. It was made for "pausing" terminals when long streams of text were flying by, and it's been somewhat coopted since then. Really though, it's not meant to do what it says it does any more. I'd let it alone.

Seriously. Which version of Windows is that?

Lawlz.

It's Vista. I have the interface set up old school cuz thats how I roll.

Vista...Windows 98 might be preferable Lol

Well, that explains why Windows asks for permissions with every seventh mouse click.

That's just a standard "feature" of that awful OS. There's no way to make it stop other than upgrading to Windows 7. Which you should do at the earliest possible opportunity.

Their criticism is... a little too strong.

There's a way to shut it off actually, but it shuts it off completely. Take that as you will. Thing is, the Mac OS has had the same feature for a long time. It too asks for permission for every little thing, but I think they managed to make it seem less intrusive (even though it has the added requirement of typing a password each time). Vista does learn over time though, getting a little less annoying. In 7, they made the warnings more customizable, thus in a way making it less secure.

I've used both, and I can safely say that 7 didn't really change all that much from Vista. 7 is better, for a lot of reasons, but they're just evolutionary. It's still basically the same OS. In other words, if you're good with Vista aside from the UAC issues (again, you can shut it off though if you don't mind the reduced security), you shouldn't worry too much about upgrading.

...Don't go back to 98 though. That's more of an ABF move.

That's one of Vista's major problems: You either have security which is far too paranoid and unintelligent, or you have none at all--which is even worse. This would make 7 less secure overall, but the best security is intelligent use. Only the most inexperienced computer users need to be reminded more than once that changing Windows settings or running certain executables can potentially screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.

7 didn't change a whole lot, but it's faster, more stable, and infinitely less annoying. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been from the start.

Vista...Windows 98 might be preferable

Indeed.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - A Black Falcon - 12th July 2010

No way, 98 was good for its time, but Vista is obviously far better...

Quote:That's one of Vista's major problems: You either have security which is far too paranoid and unintelligent, or you have none at all--which is even worse. This would make 7 less secure overall, but the best security is intelligent use. Only the most inexperienced computer users need to be reminded more than once that changing Windows settings or running certain executables can potentially screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.

You're right, a middle ground would be good, the security system is too restrictive to actually use, but that does leave you more open... kind of annoying. Still, it's not like security has ever been something Windows has done that well... though really MS doesn't do that badly. With how popular their OS is, everyone wants to crack it. I mean, I've always heard that it'd be MacOS that'd be the constantly broken into one, if Macs were the popular system instead of PCs... it's just a matter of success.

But anyway, all the complaints about Vista are even more absurd than the ones about ME. I mean, at least ME actually was less stable than 98, and actually did do one or two other annoying things (making it harder to get into pure DOS mode, most notably), though overall it was a fine OS. Vista's got nothing bad I can think of to say about it in comparison to XP. That "too much or too little" security issue there is about the only negative thing I can really think of to say about it.

Unless you have to sit here and use Vista, don't lecture me about how great it is.

Darunia Wrote:Unless you have to sit here and use Vista, don't lecture me about how great it is.

I'll lecture you all I want, because the fact is, it IS better. It's more questionable whether it's better than XP (mainly related to compatibility), but once you've got the latest service packs and set the UAC to how you want it (disabled, apparently), it's a perfectly fine OS. I've used it, and 7. There's really not as great a difference as people say. 7's better, but not to the degree some above seem to suggest.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Weltall - 13th July 2010

Here's the problem with the 'perfectly fine' OS: Either you have to let Vista treat you like a complete retard and flash warnings at you five to six times an hour of normal operation, or you have to be a complete retard and operate without any security.

There's also Vista's earned reputation for being a notorious resource hog. Upgrade from Vista to 7 and the difference will be much more apparent. Vista isn't better than anything . . . except the aforementioned Windows ME, but I can't envisage any professionally-designed operating system outcrapping ME.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Dark Jaguar - 13th July 2010

That's a valid complaint, but the first service pack went a long way to dealing with that. Further, it's just the UAC he'd be disabling. Even without that it's still more secure than XP. It's still pretty overblown. 7 is just an evolution over the exact same basic core as Vista.

Anyone in this day and age that would actually rather run Windows 98 than Vista deserves whatever happens to them.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Darunia - 13th July 2010

Defendant: Dark Jaguar
Charge: Being an ignorant mook, first degree

Fact 1: Everyone but me (seems) to have Windows 7.

Fact 2: I alone am stuck with Vista and want to upgrade to 7.

Fact 3: Dark Jaguar finds this unacceptable, and purports that Vista is good enough for me and there's no huge difference, and further more feels obliged to lash out at me for opening my mouth, as though personally insulted by my lack of faith in Vista.

Verdict: Guilty

Sentence: 160 years in a Goron correction facility on Io.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:That's a valid complaint, but the first service pack went a long way to dealing with that. Further, it's just the UAC he'd be disabling. Even without that it's still more secure than XP. It's still pretty overblown. 7 is just an evolution over the exact same basic core as Vista.

Anyone in this day and age that would actually rather run Windows 98 than Vista deserves whatever happens to them.

Indeed. You're absolutely right. XP better than Vista in security, even with Vista's UAC off? Ridiculous... and Windows 7 really is just a new version of Vista that people seem to like more. At the core it's pretty much the same thing.

I've never liked Windows XP. I never really regretted sticking with ME instead of upgrading to it, and waited to get a new computer until Vista came out.

Quote:Unless you have to sit here and use Vista, don't lecture me about how great it is.

... I've been using Vista as the OS on my main computer for almost 3 1/2 years now...

That was directed at DJ, stupid.

I was with ya until you said you stuck with ME over XP :D. Backwards compatibility is one thing, and to me a kind of important one, but there's plenty of solutions that don't involve sticking with an OS that no modern browser except Opera supports.

I wasn't "finding it unacceptable", I was defending your choice to stick with Vista rather than spending a mint on what might have ended up an unnecessary upgrade for you. If you really want to upgrade, go for it. For me, 7 is a big upgrade over XP and worth it, but very small over Vista, and mostly an image re branding for MS (which has worked surprisingly well, that Mohave project was right).

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Go here to find out how to shut off UAC in Vista. Running without it is less secure, but still far more secure than XP as I've said. It's got much better "sandboxing" for things like browsers just to name one example (all of these features were inherited by 7, not invented in it). Oh, in 7 they made it less annoying by making it less effective. Still, you can raise the UAC to Vista levels if you want that security (7 does "learn" behavior better and quicker though, so it only stays annoying for a while). Again, OSX actually has been doing the same thing for years now, plus the added requirement to type in a password every single time which Vista/7 doesn't do.

Install AVG or MSE as your antivirus. Don't touch Norton. It has sucked for years now and still does.

Install the latest service pack and any available patches for Vista you can find. Make sure to enable "other products" in the Windows Update program. (It should be enabled by default if you ask me, but I guess it's paranoid antitrust action even if "other products" just means "other Microsoft products".)

Vista should work much better after that. Trust me though, if you're upgrading to 7 to get away from anything other than the UAC annoyances, you may be sorely disappointed. Walk into a store and try out Windows 7 for a bit. It's nice, but you may notice above all else that the experience is basically the same. Then you can decide if you want to upgrade. For myself, I found that 7's weird way of managing taskbar processes was too annoying, so I reverted it back to the old behavior (I just don't like the odd way it combines both the shortcut and the actual running instance of a program into the same "button".)

Darunia Wrote:That was directed at DJ, stupid.

Let's rephrase that.

Said the patient to the dentist: Unless you had to live with these braces, don't lecture me about removing them with a staple remover! Maybe LISTEN to the person who actually knows what they're talking about? You did make this thread asking for help, so it's too late, you're in it now.

I made the thread to get rid of a tiny program associated with Gateway keyboards. The original topic had nothing to do with Windows. Tuck your inflated ego back into your knickers and sit down.

Pish posh, we've been talking about Windows and you've been part of it.

*Icy glare*

Darunia Wrote:*Icy glare*

Did you end up in Zora's domain again?

I haven't been there since Princess Ruto slapped me with that paternity suit.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Weltall - 13th July 2010

Given the nature of the Zora, does that involve being slapped with a big trout?

Grow up, Weltall. Don't be ridiculous.

This is a legal matter. They use sea bass.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - lazyfatbum - 14th July 2010

I found the problem being discussed on another forum, i'm glad you found the fix. Here's a quick reference if you ever get stuck again

Quote:Darunia is a retard.

how many fucking YEARS DID YOU OWN THAT KEYBOARD with the godamn SLEEPER FUNCTION THAT WAS PROBABLY PRINTED ***IN BOLD*** ON THE BOX THAT IT CAME IN AND SAID "(paraphrasing) THIS KEYBOARD HAS A SLEEP FUNCTION YOU'RE A NIGGER." AND the fucking fact that it actually LOOKS LIKE A KEYBOARD on the motherfucking gui DISPLAYED IN FRONT OF YOU ***SOME HOW**** DID NOT CLUE YOU IN?????? HOLY FUCK???????

i'm kidding, same thing happened to me. I hate these keyboards, who the fuck sleeps their computers anyway?

Puting 5 bucks down on ABF posting that he sleeps his computer.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Darunia - 14th July 2010

I don't know if I was just insulted or entertained.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Sacred Jellybean - 14th July 2010

I know which one I was. Holy shit. Lol

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - etoven - 14th July 2010

Darunia Wrote:I don't know if I was just insulted or entertained.
You've been Lazy slammed!!

It's like sex with a hot women... Only replace the women with a pregnant cow, and replaced the vagina with a stinky ass hole.

Finally Yoko Ono sings to you afterwords and the cycle is complete.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAKE IT STOP! - Darunia - 14th July 2010

The way you describe that, Etoven, makes it sound very pleasant. I feel humbled for the honor.