Tendo City
READ: I will be pruning attachments. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: READ: I will be pruning attachments. (/showthread.php?tid=5842)

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - Weltall - 9th July 2010

yo. I posted this as an announcement, but it occurred to me that nobody may even see it. So, here we go:

In an effort to preserve server storage space, I've decided to clear out all attachments. Of the roughly 500MB used by the forum, close to half of this is attachments. Many of them are years old.

If you are an admin, please log into the Control Panel. From there, go to the Attachments sidebar, click Search, and then enter your username in the field. Set the number of results high to see them all (default is only 10). This will allow you to view every attachment you've ever uploaded, and give you the opportunity to save anything you wish to preserve. On July 16th, I will delete whatever is left. As such, you guys do not have to delete them yourselves, but feel free to do so if you want.

If you are not an admin, you're probably a mod. ;D

If enough of you guys are interested in viewing and saving attachments, contact me via PM. I will grant temporary (24 hour) admin privileges individually. You can follow the instructions above.

A lot of attachments are in the Comics forum. I won't delete those, so don't worry.

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - A Black Falcon - 9th July 2010

What, do we have really limited server space or something?

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - Weltall - 9th July 2010

Somewhat. Toven and I cleared a bunch of junk that nobody will miss.

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - etoven - 9th July 2010

A Black Falcon Wrote:What, do we have really limited server space or something?
It's true.. We only have 900MG free.
And the database is expanding at a enormous rate.

I'm working on acquiring some more space..
I hope to get another GIG by the end of the week.

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - Sacred Jellybean - 9th July 2010

You can delete all my attachments, I already reviewed them.

Quote:And the database is expanding at a enormous rate.

Wait... whose database? Our database??

:psyduck:

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - Dark Jaguar - 9th July 2010

Really? Why's the database doing that? We don't post that much. Is it doing a lot of cross-referencing?

If it's needed that's fine, but try to preserve all those old TC comics if possible. It's a shame server space is that limited though, considering it's 2010 and all, where my free google account has 8 GB of storage.

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - A Black Falcon - 15th July 2010

Okay, checked mine. I have 197, but they're small; almost all are just screenshots, dozens 5KB and under. There were a handful of larger, non-screenshot ones that I just did get rid of (some roms from classic game competition things we did years ago that I forgot about; finding stuff like that on the internet is not exactly difficult), but the rest I'd like to keep... I probably still have copies of most of those files, but I'm not sure, and there is no easy way to check (you can't just batch download attachments or anything like that).

Also, the "search by file size" option in the admin panel is broken, which really is an inconvenience. Before you delete stuff I'd really like to be able to use that option.

If you want me to rehost the larger ones of mine, like the ones over 150KB or so (there are only 11, most under 200KB; only three are 500KB or more), then tell me and I'll do that. It's annoying that there is no easy way for me to just download copies of those attachments via the admin panel, that'd be a nice option to have too. Oh well...

Deleting attachments will make so many older thread nonsensical, it really should be an option of last resort... I can understand deleting large attachments, but the small attachments...

I just checked, attachments take up 175MB, versus 282MB for the database. If some attachments must be deleted, I'd check for large attachments if the "sort by size" function worked, to see if a few large ones are taking up a lot of space, but that's not working, so who knows... just deleting all of them seems kind of annoyingly pointless though, compared to focusing on the ones actually taking up most of that space.

READ: I will be pruning attachments. - Weltall - 15th July 2010

I wonder if it's possible to simply divorce the attachments from the database. Honestly, that would help without the strict need to delete them all.