Tendo City
/Sigh - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: /Sigh (/showthread.php?tid=5834)

/Sigh - Darunia - 7th July 2010

Political Correction Knows No Limits

This is highly disappointing to me.

/Sigh - Dark Jaguar - 7th July 2010

Darunia you're like me. You think that everything you comment on "well everyone' sure to agree with me" so you post it in ramble. Just post it in the philosopher's section now. Pretty much every comment you make on society is going to be loaded, you damned libertarian rock jockey.

I read that, I don't get it. He's trying to get muslim nations to respect science, and well, telling them of their past scientific achievements is a good start. For example, the number 0. He's not trying to say their religion is something to be proud of. He's specifically trying to get them interested in SCIENTIFIC accomplishments of their past. How could you possibly consider that "political correction"? It's frickin' noble! What's wrong with the middle east? Among a number of other issues, it's the lack of scientific education. How do you think most American kids got interested in astronomy? Why, mention that humans LANDED ON THE MOON, and it's America that did it! That gets them excited. That's cool. This is the same thing, aimed at another country.

Explain yourself Darunia, because I'm completely confused as to what problem you have with it.

/Sigh - Darunia - 8th July 2010

NASA is the National Astronomical and Space Administration. Saying that their biggest task at the moment is a feel-good PR campaign directed at Muslim nations... you really can't see what's wrong with this? It'd be like the US Army saying in the middle of a war, "well right now, we're fighting to win a war, but our primary objective is to get all the children of Sweden to read more books this summer." NASA is NOT to be used as a diplomatic tool. Let NASA do NASA activities. Let it explore space and send probes to the stars. If Obama wants to suck up to Muslim nations, he can do it through his cronie Hilary Clinton.

/Sigh - EdenMaster - 8th July 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Darunia you're like me. You think that everything you comment on "well everyone' sure to agree with me" so you post it in ramble. Just post it in the philosopher's section now. Pretty much every comment you make on society is going to be loaded, you damned libertarian rock jockey.

I read that, I don't get it. He's trying to get muslim nations to respect science, and well, telling them of their past scientific achievements is a good start. For example, the number 0. He's not trying to say their religion is something to be proud of. He's specifically trying to get them interested in SCIENTIFIC accomplishments of their past. How could you possibly consider that "political correction"? It's frickin' noble! What's wrong with the middle east? Among a number of other issues, it's the lack of scientific education. How do you think most American kids got interested in astronomy? Why, mention that humans LANDED ON THE MOON, and it's America that did it! That gets them excited. That's cool. This is the same thing, aimed at another country.

Explain yourself Darunia, because I'm completely confused as to what problem you have with it.

He's mad because reaching out the Muslims is why we're not on Mars yet, I think.

EdenMaster has about as much common sense as the delicious igneous rock I gather inside Dodongo's Cavern. I sense that he's still bitter at me from our last astronomical tirade, as he comes into a new thread and promptly serves up a one-liner at me. Bravo, EdenMaster.

TOMORROW'S HEADLINES:

-OBAMA TAPS NATIONAL FORESTY SERVICE TO SOLVE PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST

-OBAMA CHARGES HEAD OF I.R.S. TO END DRUG VIOLENCE IN MEXICO

-OBAMA DISPATCHES COMMERCE SECRETARY TO NURSE AILING AUSTRALIAN PUPPIES BACK TO HEALTH

/Sigh - EdenMaster - 8th July 2010

Darunia Wrote:EdenMaster has about as much common sense as the delicious igneous rock I gather inside Dodongo's Cavern. I sense that he's still bitter at me from our last astronomical tirade, as he comes into a new thread and promptly serves up a one-liner at me. Bravo, EdenMaster.

*shrugs*

Am I wrong?

I'm not bitter. You're the one who left the debate hanging :p

But I digress. I'll leave this one.

In regards to the past argument, I found that it would descend into an ouroboros and so I left it. I look to the future and dream, you look to the present and meddle. We're just two different people.

But let's stay on topic.

/Sigh - Weltall - 8th July 2010

I'm a Singularitarian. Your concept of 'the future' is kid's play compared to mine.

You can take your dancing Christoph Waltz, condescending holier-than-thou attitude and fornicate yourslf rectally with it.

I may try that some time.

My point stands, though.

[Image: nasa2.jpg]

This whole idea is, seriously, ridiculous.

Cute logo. I'm glad we're on the same page here.

*Declares War on EdenMaster*

/Sigh - Dark Lord Neo - 8th July 2010

I think this might be the first step in establishing working relationships with countries in the middle east in regards to the space program.
NASA already has a good working relationship with space agencies in Canada, most of western Europe and even Russia. They draw on various areas of expertise that these countries possess as well as innovations made in their scientific communities to put together the best possible space program that they can. Like it or not countries like Iran obviously have people who are experts in area such as constructing rockets to carry missiles with knowledge that can easily be applied to getting into space. If the US made it clear that they don't have a problem with the religion that these scientists likely follow - but with the policies of their governments, it would make these scientists much more amenable to potentially working with the US in the future. That's why I think US-Russian cooperation in terms of working in space has been successful - because it was clear to the Russians that now work with US scientists that the US did not have a problem with them being Russian, they had a problem with the political and economic system that existed in their country.

Think of it this way - 20 years ago would you have imagined that Russia and the United States would be working together to build a space station? I don't think it's completely far-fetched to think that in 20 or maybe 50 years other countries like Pakistan or even Iran could be involved in multi-national space projects too.

/Sigh - Dark Jaguar - 8th July 2010

Darunia, I'm sorry to have to teach you this now, but NASA is, and has been for recent decades, as much about educating the public as it has the space program itself.

There's a reason why they are constantly publishing those amazing Hubble photos of deep space. There's an entire group of NASA employees who's main task is educating the public. Space exploration is a big part of what they do, but not the ONLY part. Education is another, and this is just another part of that education.

What has this education led to? NASA is understaffed to analyze all the images they are taking from space. "Amateurs" have been picking up a lot of the slack by identifying all manner of things in various series of images, such as potential planet-like objects and so on. Further, amateur telescopy has advanced a lot, to the point where there's people in pretty much every part of this country looking up at the sky, catching a number of things NASA alone would miss, and contributing a lot. (Incidentally, this is part of the reason why conspiracies of government covering up some doomsday planet or asteroid are stupid, they can't silence every single amateur astronomer out there.)

Reaching out to educate another country about it's past to get them interested in science is simply an extension of what they are ALREADY doing and have been doing since I was a kid.

For the record, analyze your "parodies" before submitting them. Forest rangers actually DO take time to educate the public about things. Isn't that right Smokey the Bear?

Oh and lastly, what the hell does this have to do with "political correctness"? Clearly you're upset about it so it isn't that politically expedient, which is about the only definition I can think of here. Nothing they're saying isn't true after all.

/Sigh - lazyfatbum - 8th July 2010

They're muslims and as everyone knows they are uneducated and still believe in Gods and voodoo, they have no grasp of the universe or planets so basically what the chief at NASA is saying is that muslims are stupid and NASA wants to get them away from their constant rape of everything around them and immoral/unjustified existence.

/Sigh - lazyfatbum - 8th July 2010

[Image: roaches.jpg]

This picture shows the types of muslims by region.

[Image: Cockroaches%20from%20Reptile%20Island.JPG]

Here, muslims denounce eggs at a spring festival in Guam. Known for the hate of eggs and egg-like things, written in the Koran by none other than Muhammad himself.

[Image: disney-eggs.jpg]

At an anti-muslim rally in St. Petersburg Russia, the image of Muhammad was drawn on eggs, a message that every muslim can understand as an act of war.

Thank you very much for that insightful lesson, Lazy.

You're still all talking about politics. I'm sure Iran does have useful people, but we don't NEED them. You're mixing political ideology into everything... its contaminating pure science. I've said before that I support international cooperation in space exploration, but it's not up to NASA to go kiss Muslim ass for the Obama administration.

/Sigh - Dark Jaguar - 8th July 2010

Education is politics now?

It's just a matter of trying to spread some science education. NASA has always spread that kind of education. Now it's spreading more internationally. That's it, and it's a good thing. "We don't need them" is also pretty danged selfish.

We're talking about NASA'S CHIEF PRIORITY BEING REACHING OUT TO MUSLIM NATIONS.

If spreading education were the real focus of this, I'd agree.

But, I think Darunia's right: this is more about politics than education. It's another piece of the effort to win the hearts and minds of a people who largely can't stand us. And, the only way NASA's really going to accomplish that is if they put Israel into a giant rocket and launch it at the sun.

/Sigh - A Black Falcon - 9th July 2010

I'm very disappointed in Obama's evident complete lack of interest in our space program, certainly, but I don't think that this says anything about that...

/Sigh - Darunia - 9th July 2010

What's not to understand? I cannot believe that you all don't see what's fundamentally wrong here... it's a government agency conceived, developed, and funded, to explore space... and he has it playing diplomatic suck-up. Kissing ass abroad is fine, and there are highly-trained and well-paid assholes in Washington who do it full-time... but don't waste NASA's time doing it. Let NASA worry about NASA stuff.