Tendo City
Anonymity is overrated... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Anonymity is overrated... (/showthread.php?tid=5833)

Pages: 1 2

Anonymity is overrated... - Dark Jaguar - 13th July 2010

Weltall Wrote:If I want to contact someone quickly, I have a cell phone and so does practically everyone else in the developed world.

Why would I want to contact the ESRB?

Well a lot of people use that text messaging, and what is that? Well, it's literally the same as e-mail. You can actually e-mail someone's cell phone, and it's only idiotically called "texting" in America. In Japan they call it email.

Sprint phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon phonenumber@vtext.com
T-Mobile phonenumber@tmomail.net
AT&T phonenumber@txt.att.net

Anonymity is overrated... - Weltall - 13th July 2010

I think you're very confused.

I do, frequently, send messages comprised of text to people using various formats. All I'm saying is that a dedicated email service is not one of them. Most of these services do not utilize the term "blind carbon copy" even if they do utilize the feature represented by the term, therefore, I was unfamiliar with it. The semantics of text-based communication are not even slightly relevant to this discussion.

Yeah I get that. It's just a little unusual to me to hear someone uses Facebook guest books, or whatever, as a main means of contact. It just sounds a little hard to use. If it works for you though, it works.

Facebook is doomed though, DOOOOOMED.

Anonymity is overrated... - EdenMaster - 13th July 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Yeah I get that. It's just a little unusual to me to hear someone uses Facebook guest books, or whatever, as a main means of contact. It just sounds a little hard to use. If it works for you though, it works.

Facebook is doomed though, DOOOOOMED.

The fact that you refer to them as "guest books" shows how little you know about the service, which isn't surprising considering your reclusive nature. Facebook is a complex and efficient way to communicate and stay in touch with dozens, if not hundreds, of your friends and family.

It's just a bunch of personal web sites with commenting and a friend's list. I've been saying for years that it's all basically just guest book technology evolved a little.

If I was a recluse I wouldn't be posting online. I'm no more a hermit than you are a borg drone.

Anonymity is overrated... - Weltall - 13th July 2010

The above description applies to MySpace, where you can customize the hell out of your main portal page. Facebook doesn't allow this. It's more akin to an enormous webwork of interconnected message boards, an interface which is quite intuitive given how streamlined the interface is. I've gotten to know several people by engaging in discussion with friends of friends. And, advantageous to me, people I know are more likely to see a message from me on Facebook, because quite a few use email accounts for spam dumps as I do, and consequently might not even know I sent them an actual email if I bothered doing so.

Anonymity is overrated... - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2010

Yeah, and zero privacy, and corporate policies that only very, very thinly try to disguise that fact.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:There ya go thinking the worst without due cause again. I know of more than enough instances of this sort of thing that it being an accident is very probable. It's the natural result of "reply all" doing a "CC" by default instead of "BCC". Some ignorant spokeperson not knowing the difference doesn't seem far off. I mean, how often do people mass-email the ESRB anyway?

I'm sure you can say there's some sort of motive, and you could even make the motive convincing. The problem is, while hindsight is 20/20, it doesn't benefit anyone in the past. Motive alone isn't solid evidence, whatever benefit you may imagine for them.

What, you really don't find it at all suspicious?

I mean, yes, it was probably an accident. But it sure is convenient...

Weltall Wrote:The above description applies to MySpace, where you can customize the hell out of your main portal page. Facebook doesn't allow this. It's more akin to an enormous webwork of interconnected message boards, an interface which is quite intuitive given how streamlined the interface is. I've gotten to know several people by engaging in discussion with friends of friends. And, advantageous to me, people I know are more likely to see a message from me on Facebook, because quite a few use email accounts for spam dumps as I do, and consequently might not even know I sent them an actual email if I bothered doing so.

Interesting, though it's odd that Facebook actually does less than Myspace by your account and yet somehow became more popular. Well to each their own. Keep this in mind though. It's a good practice if you want a "spam dump" to make two e-mail accounts. One you use for signups, and the other is the "secret" one you only share with friends and family you want to stay in touch with.

A Black Falcon Wrote:What, you really don't find it at all suspicious?

I mean, yes, it was probably an accident. But it sure is convenient...

Well my point is that finding motives alone is not evidence of foul play. At best it's a place to start an investigation, not an end. I mean "isn't it convenient" is basically conspiracy theory language. I don't claim to know that they didn't do this to be ironic or whatever, I just want to point out that it's not very solid reasoning. Such is my burden.

Anonymity is overrated... - Great Rumbler - 14th July 2010

Convenient for who?

Anonymity is overrated... - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2010

Activision?