Tendo City
Eureka!! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Eureka!! (/showthread.php?tid=5828)

Eureka!! - etoven - 1st July 2010

A new program called Eureka has been developed, its main purpose is it discovers algorithms. Most noticeably it discovered Einsteins theory of relativity completely on it's own by observing pendulum movement in about three weeks.

And now apparently it has discovered the code behind a human cell. The cells software as it where. The only problem is, while scientists have determined that the program output is correct and performs like a living cell, the code is so complex that scientists don't know how or why it functions correctly, scientists say the computer code is so complex that humans are unable to grasp the logic behind it.

It's like getting the keys to the castle only to find that someone has removed the door.

I think it's really scary how fast computers are becoming better problem solvers than humans.

Just think.. One day, it might be computers that unlock the mysteries of the universe not humans.

(SOURCE: NPR RADIO)

Eureka!! - EdenMaster - 1st July 2010

etoven Wrote:A new program called Eureka has been developed, its main purpose is it discovers algorithms. Most noticeably it discovered Einsteins theory of relativity completely on it's own by observing pendulum movement in about three weeks.

And now apparently it has discovered the code behind a human cell. The cells software as it where. The only problem is, while scientists have determined that the program output is correct and performs like a living cell, the code is so complex that scientists don't know how or why it functions correctly, scientists say the computer code is so complex that humans are unable to grasp the logic behind it.

It's like getting the keys to the castle only to find that someone has removed the door.

I think it's really scary how fast computers are becoming better problem solvers than humans.

Just think.. One day, it might be computers that unlock the mysteries of the universe not humans.

(SOURCE: NPR RADIO)

Computers built and programmed by humans. Some things are just beyond all but the most extraordinary, we wouldn't know a fraction of what we do now if not for machines we'd built to tell it to us.

Eureka!! - Darunia - 1st July 2010

Holy shit that is incredible... scary, even.

Eureka!! - Dark Jaguar - 1st July 2010

True, but then do we give credit to proto-apes for our accomplishments?

It's a shame you heard it on NPR. They SUCK at science and technology reporting. I have no idea how close to accurate they are. It really does sound too good to be true, so sadly it probably is. I mean 3 weeks of observing pendulums? Unless it plugged in observations of the speed of light or something, why would it nail down relativity like that, instead of something like Newtonian physics which also accurately describes pendulum motion (failing in other scales, but not that one). If it managed to find math to describe the operations of a cell, that is AMAZING, but again, I need more than a half-remembered NPR report. Not saying you need to provide it, but heck typing in "eureka physics program" isn't nearly as helpful as it should be...

If they did find a way to do that, then "robots doing all the discovering" isn't a bad thing, since that's a big step to making US the robots.

All in all, I gotta just let this by as a most likely completely poorly remembered (or outright bunk) report from NPR. Amazing if true, but until I see otherwise, I doubt it.

Eureka!! - Darunia - 2nd July 2010

I'm surprised I haven't heard it mentioned on CNN.Com or anywhere. You'd think something like this would be more wide-spread.

Eureka!! - Dark Jaguar - 2nd July 2010

While I'm not too surprised to see the "big" news stations passing huge tech and science news by (it's standard operating procedure), the big alarm bells are raised by none of the huge tech and science sites I visit mentioning the thing. I can't even find it on Google.

Eureka!! - etoven - 2nd July 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:All in all, I gotta just let this by as a most likely completely poorly remembered (or outright bunk) report from NPR. Amazing if true, but until I see otherwise, I doubt it.
It wasn't a report.. It was a interview with the scientists that created the program.. And it was live..

Kind of hard for NPR to fuck that up.

Eureka!! - Dark Jaguar - 2nd July 2010

I still haven't heard from it anywhere else, that's the problem. There's also the issue of scam artists, which they could just as easily be if the interviewers didn't do their due diligence investigating these guys.