Tendo City
De la Volonté Libre - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: De la Volonté Libre (/showthread.php?tid=5826)

De la Volonté Libre - Darunia - 1st July 2010

Does free will exist? If so, how can you define it? If not, back up with evidence.

If one defines free will as the ability to do as one pleases entirely independent of outside influence, and based upon one's own desires:

I say it does not exist, because all decisions and thought processes undertaken by all living entities are arrived at by a long and tedious series of previous experiences. No fallible animal based possessing an imperfect biochemical brain is capable of independent, spontaneous thought. Indeed, the very idea may be altogether impossible. No matter what we say or do, we do so as the result of a long and ongoing thought process that builds upon experiences.

De la Volonté Libre - Dark Jaguar - 1st July 2010

So what if our brains are responding to external stimuli, and so what if it's all basically following physical law. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that I AM all those processes in my brain is close enough to call that free will. That IS the decision engine after all. Besides, who wants to define "free will" as "completely random dice rolls"? I mean, your will is either deterministic, or totally random, and so long as that "determinism" is at least partly defined by my brain's decision making processes, that's good enough.

Besides, what difference does it make how we define free will? It won't change how we humans behave. At the end of the day we're the same as we started.

De la Volonté Libre - Weltall - 1st July 2010

It depends on the definition of the terms.

I consider determinism to be powerful but not an absolute, straight line, . At the end, it influences the options made available to you, but if more than one option exists, there is always the possibility of random variation. Free will is not absolute, either, but at the point of decision, it all rests on you, regardless of what led to the options.

It's unusual for an atheist to also be an absolute determinist.

De la Volonté Libre - Darunia - 1st July 2010

It's unusual for an atheist to also be an absolute determinist.

Pray, tell me why.

De la Volonté Libre - Weltall - 1st July 2010

Pure Determinism is a trait often found among the religious, as they often have a specific Determinator to worship. Calvinism is a famous example within Christianity.

De la Volonté Libre - The Emperor - 1st July 2010

Only those without the will to rule would even be confused by such a question. Such is all the more cause for you to put such worries aside and serve me.

De la Volonté Libre - Darunia - 2nd July 2010

Tendo City isn't big enough for the two of us, O False Emperor. These Tendites serve but one master, and that's the Supreme Goron.

De la Volonté Libre - alien space marine - 3rd July 2010

Remembering the old saying, better the devil you know

I hereby offer Darunia the military backing of planet Pinacolada , In a alliance against "the emperor" who I suspect is really DJ.

De la Volonté Libre - Dark Jaguar - 3rd July 2010

Lies! Lies and slander! When have I ever randomly generated bizarre personas to have fun with here?

De la Volonté Libre - Darunia - 5th July 2010

*Concludes formal ASM/Canadian-Goron Alliance*

*Declares war on the Impostor*

De la Volonté Libre - Waltell - 5th July 2010

I am most definitely not a Dark Jaguar alter-ego!

mostly because I certifiably possess male genitalia.

De la Volonté Libre - Darunia - 7th July 2010

Is that voluptuous, shimmering segment of ebony buttocks yours?