Tendo City
Still one of the best shows on my TV - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Still one of the best shows on my TV (/showthread.php?tid=5730)

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Great Rumbler - 11th May 2010

On November 24, 1988, the first episode of a new series aired on local-access cable channel KTMA out of the heart of Minnesota. The series, entitled Mystery Science Theater 3000, was the brainchild of prop comedian Joel Hodgson and feature Joel as a hapless everyman blasted into orbit by a couple of geniuses who forced him to watch bad movies as part of an experiment. To help fight off insanity, and loneliness, Joel constructed two robots named Tom Servo [voiced by Josh Weinstein and later by Kevin Murphy] and Crow T. Robot [voiced by Trace Beaulieu and later by Bill Corbit]. Together they watch bad movies and joke about how bad they are.

The format of the show is as thus: each episode opens with the series opening, showing who all the characters are and explaining the premise of the show in song form. Then there’s an opening sketch scene with Joel, and later Mike, doing something with Tom Servo and Crow. Then, after a commercial break, there’s a sketch with The Mads and the crew of the Satellite of Love, where there’s an invention exchange [mostly just for the Joel era] and then the movie of the day is announced and then sent. The crew goes into the movie theater to watch the movie, where they make witty comments and note the movie’s glaring flaws. Interspersed between segments of the movie are more sketches, usually just between the crew of the satellite. Then, upon the conclusion of the movie, there’s one more sketch between the crew and The Mads. The episode is then rapped up and the credits roll. Beginning in the second Comedy Central season, each episode ends with a “stinger” a humorous clip from the movie, usually just a few seconds long.

After one season on KTMA, the series was picked up by new-comer cable channel Comedy Central. The channel was looking for fresh content and MST3K allowed them to fill up a full two hours of programming and it was cheap to make, both of which were very appealing. This change also brought about several others. The early KTMA episode were mostly ad-libbed, but starting with the first Comedy Central season the episode began to be more scripted. During the third season, Josh Weinstein left, replaced by Frank Conniff as one of the two mad scientists and by Kevin Murphy as the voice of Tom Servo. Mike Nelson was appointed as head writer and also appeared during the sketches between portions of the movie as various characters.

During the fifth season on Comedy Central, series-creator Joel Hodgson left the show over creative problems with series-producer Jim Mallon. Joel hand-picked Mike Nelson to replace him as the show’s host and so began the Mike era. From there, the show’s riffing took on a bit more of a biting, sarcastic tone than the good-natured ribbing that prevailed during the Joel era. The difference is noticeable, but it also helps keep the show fresh. At the end of the sixth season, Frank Conniff, left the show, replaced by Mary Jo Pehl as Pearl Forrester, Dr. Forrester’s mother. Then, following the end of the seventh season, the show was cancelled by Comedy Central. Although it looked as though the show were gone for good, The Scifi Channel picked up the show and it gave it three more seasons. Following that move, Trace Beaulieu was replaced by Bill Corbit as the voice of Crow and Mary Jo Pehl took over as the mad scientist. She was joined by Bill Corbit [as Obeserver [aka Brain Guy] and Kevin Murphy as Professor Bobo, her often dim-witted assistants.

Then, with the conclusion of the tenth season, on September 18, 1999, the show was official cancelled for good. After a few more years of reruns, The Scifi Channel cut the show loose. For the first time in seventeen years, MST3K was no longer broadcast on televion. The era had finally come to an end.

Fortunately, the show has not been forgotten. A steady stream of DVD releases from Rhino Home Entertainment have been coming out with the latest, volume 17, being released in March 2010. The releases have not come as quickly as they might, due to lengthy negotiations being required to get the rights to all of the movies that were used as part of the series.

History aside, MST3K has featured a host of movies over its eleven seasons. Many of them feature a scifi or horror bent, but others are simply bad movies that would have otherwise sank into oblivion were it not for being featured on the show. MST3K has even featured more famous film franchises like Godzilla and Gamera, and the works of Ed Wood and Roger Corman. The movies range from practically ancient to nearly new, covering every decade from the 30′s to the 90′s. In addition to full-length films, MST3K also features shorts, to pad out movies that are too short to fit a 90-minute program. These shorts are off educational or informative in nature, used in schools and colleges, and are often hilariously awful, making them ripe for some great riffing. There are also a few serials such as Commando Cody, The Phantom Creeps, and General Hospital.

So what is it that makes MST3K so good? Because, for most of us, this is the kind of thing that we’ve always wanted to do. It’s great fun to kick back with your friends and just tear into some really bad movie that you wouldn’t really enjoy by taking seriously. That’s what MST3K does and that’s also why it’s best when viewed friends. Not every episode is the funniest thing ever, but with 199 episodes there are plenty that very nearly are. Do yourself a favor and rent a few. You won’t regret it.

http://greatrumbler.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/nostalgia-challenge-mystery-science-theater-3000/

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Dark Jaguar - 11th May 2010

And you're JUST now finding this out?

Lemme alert you to another "hidden gem". Ever seen Pete and Pete?

Just now? I watched MST3K back when it was still on the air! Lol

Still one of the best shows on my TV - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2010

I didn't, we never had cable. :(

I'd love to watch the show, but the only MST3K thing I've actually seen is the movie, which I just watched last year... it was quite entertaining.

Rent some episodes, man!

Or just grab the 196-episode torrent.

If you want me to list some of the better episodes, I've give you a good list to start with.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Darunia - 11th May 2010

No need, GR. I can name the best episodes for you:

-Space Mutiny
-Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues
-Hobgoblins
-Manhunt in Space
-The Screaming Skull
-The Phantom Planet
-Jack Frost

MST3K is my favorite show ever, rivaled only by Futurama.

All good episodes there, but you've missed a few!

-207: Wild Rebels
-321: Santa Clause Conquers the Martians
-422: The Day the Earth Froze
-424: Manos the Hands of Fate
-507: I Accuse My Parents
-508: Operation Double 007
-512: Mitchell
-520: Radar Secret Service
-621: The Beast of Yucca Flats
-706: Laserblast
-816: The Prince of Space
-1012: Squirm

There's many more great episodes, though.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - EdenMaster - 11th May 2010

Mitchell has got to be one of my all-time favorite MST episodes.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Sacred Jellybean - 11th May 2010

If you're looking for good shorts to entertain you (rather than full-length movies), I can't recommend Mr. B Natural enough. It's in two parts on youtube, here's the first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8kH4XyWjq4

Still one of the best shows on my TV - lazyfatbum - 11th May 2010

oh my god I hate all of you. I tried to tell you all about MST3K 8 years ago and everyone thought I was talking about dinner theatre.

Yes, Original Crow, New Servo but cant decide: Joel or Mike? I love Mike. I love Joel. But Original Crow's pure hatred is just delightful and the new Tom Servo well he's MUSICAL, I even see Bobo in my DREAMS, I love Pearl, but dear god.... the mads just made it so much better. Dr. F and TV's Frank had the funniest skits hands down only just being (our invention exchange this week: HUGE checks. Where do you go when you need giant novelty checks? OUR giant novelty checkbook!) beaten out by things such as the Patrick Swayze Christmas special.

I cant believe you fuckers didn't post Riding With Death OR Touch of Satan, you're all pigs, PIGS Sorsha. Pigs.

And just so all you know:

Every episode is on google video, full length god dammit!

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-143885161322585207&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

The turkies, the mellow, the glasses cleaning, the invisible, the HOO WEE, the RACING, bar fights! Cleaning the GLASSES! cleaning THE glasses! PANT SUITS! CAMEL TOE! JR. SAMPLES! GLASSES! MY PATENT PAPERS! OHHHH THE ACID KICKED IN! BEN FUCKING MURPHY!!!!!!! FILTHY HORRIBLE GLASSES WONT GET CLEAN!!!!!! TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Dark Jaguar - 12th May 2010

GR, when you phrase it like that it really makes it seem like you're announcing it for those who don't know, like you just discovered it and we haven't known you for years. Screw your blog!

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Great Rumbler - 12th May 2010

Good Lord, DJ, don't take everything I say as some personal affront against you. Lol

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Weltall - 12th May 2010

THAT'S NO WAY TO TALK TO MY NEW BUTT

lazyfatbum Wrote:Every episode is on google video, full length god dammit!

Or you can just download the 135 gigabyte torrent with all 196 episodes [missing the first three episodes of the KTMA season, which are not known to exist in any format] and then burn them to DVDs!

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Weltall - 12th May 2010

Burning DVDs is so five years ago.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - lazyfatbum - 12th May 2010

SAM, my patent papers are at a slight angle.

Hey guys, guys, hey...................... truckin. Eh?

I love that episode.

AND NOW GOD DAMN TOUCH OF SATAN

I AM GORGO AND MORMO OF THE THOUSAND FACED MOON, "This is where the fish lives", YELLOW STAINS, GRANDMA DAUGHTER SISTER WOMAN, isn't that the guy from the giant spider movie!? FEED THE WALNUTS AND LOCK UP YOUR GRANDMOTHERS IT'S THE TOUCH OF SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/li5-f7GpYSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/li5-f7GpYSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"Oh, David Spade is Satan."

"...it's good casting."

(And because youtube has retarded rules, when the video runs out, click on part 2 in the series of videos that appear at the end, then part 3 and etc. Unfortunately I cant find a single complete embed of this movie A KABUKI ACTOR'S BEEN HIT!)

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Darunia - 12th May 2010

-207: Wild Rebels
-321: Santa Clause Conquers the Martians
-422: The Day the Earth Froze
-424: Manos the Hands of Fate
-507: I Accuse My Parents
-508: Operation Double 007
-512: Mitchell
-520: Radar Secret Service
-621: The Beast of Yucca Flats
-706: Laserblast
-816: The Prince of Space
-1012: Squirm

Mitchell, Double 007, Prince, and Squirm: Yes.

Manos: NO.

MANOS IS SO DREARY AND MISERABLE NOT EVEN THE SoL can save it!!

Lazy: I've been in MST3K for more than a decade, and if you had mentioned it before, I would've known. Stop lying, liar!

That said, Riding with Death is another favorite... I have it on DVD...

..BUT...

...Space Mutiny is still #1. Oh, and Ovedrawn at the Memory Bank, too.

I disagree about Manos. Yes, the film is horrible, one of the worst to appear in the series [though not THE worse, Sidehackers beat it in terms of depressing ickiness and Incredibly Strange Creatures is far more boring/icky], but the quality riffing elevates it far above those two.

FAGGOT ASSHOLE Dar I put MST3K on TC and no one even knew what I was talking about, you STUPID WHORE.

(sorry, i'm just being randomly mean like DJ to see what happens)

Man, you guys dont know about Future War? Girl in the Gold Boots (that one actually depresses me) and The Wild World of Batwoman!?

Future War is pretty awesome, fighting dinosaurs and main guy having his shirt punched off in the finale are both quality stuff. Girl in Gold Boots with random singing to superimposed image of girlfriend and random jump cut where a guy is suddenly sitting down in a chair where a second before it was empty are also good stuff.

I don't really remember much about the Batwoman movie though, other than it featured Batwoman and her band of scrappy ladies fighting crime.

Did anyone here start watching it in the early 90's when it first started? And the ep where Joel left?

Great Rumbler Wrote:Future War is pretty awesome, fighting dinosaurs and main guy having his shirt punched off in the finale are both quality stuff. Girl in Gold Boots with random singing to superimposed image of girlfriend and random jump cut where a guy is suddenly sitting down in a chair where a second before it was empty are also good stuff.

I don't really remember much about the Batwoman movie though, other than it featured Batwoman and her band of scrappy ladies fighting crime.

"I'M BACK!" XD Batwoman is insane, lots of fantastic moments in there. If anyone's watching Touch of Satan with me i'm on part 8, grandma's gone plum loco

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Sacred Jellybean - 12th May 2010

Remember when scifi.com offered "Caption This!", where they posted screenshots of whatever was playing on the channel and you could MST it? Ahh, good times.

lazyfatbum Wrote:Did anyone here start watching it in the early 90's when it first started? And the ep where Joel left?

Unfortunately not. I didn't get cable until around 2000 and we didn't get Comedy Central until a few years ago. So I only ever saw the last three seasons on TV.

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Remember when scifi.com offered "Caption This!", where they posted screenshots of whatever was playing on the channel and you could MST it? Ahh, good times.

I remember that! I tried to get everyone at TC in on it, it was literally how i spent my mornings... and evening and weekends and most of the day. I still remember someone captioning a kool aid commercial with the lyrics from the sounds of silence in all caps I laughed so hard I made pee spots. It looked like this:

[Image: 0.jpg]

"IN THE NAKED LIGHT I SAW TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE OR MORE TALKING WITHOUT SPEAKING AND HEARING WITHOUT LISTENING PEOPLE WRITING SONGS THAT VOICES NEVER SHARE AND YOU DONT DARE DISTURB THE SOUND OF SILENCE."

:D That's pretty good. It was actually you who got me into that. I wish there was still a format somewhere where you could put captions to screens. I've tried doing the same with google image but it's not the same.

haha I dont think anyone is balsy enough to host a site where all it does is post every 10 seconds of a streaming video for anonymous or registered users to caption and basically say whatever they want. I mean hell that was... what, 2000? 2001. The internet quintupled in size and ability since those days, but I could see a chan site handling it... if they had the attention span for it.

Watching some Monster A-Go Go tonight, the movie with no ending. Yeah boy.

Quote:haha I dont think anyone is balsy enough to host a site where all it does is post every 10 seconds of a streaming video for anonymous or registered users to caption and basically say whatever they want.

That's true, although at the same time I can't imagine there being a huge demand for it. You could probably split it into separate servers / rooms, maybe different channels, not sure. It'd be fun though.

I think i'm gonna masturbate and then watch an ep of MST3K, but what should I post next?

Hey, I found one I never seen before! let me get out my EXCITEMENT PAJAMAS (all full length, god bless google video!)

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-7684507030311625670&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

holy krap! one of the first eps with Dr. F's mom!?

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Great Rumbler - 13th May 2010

Ah, Escape 2000, that's one of my favorites.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Great Rumbler - 13th May 2010

My DVD of Monster A-Go-Go was messed up, so I ended up watching some Crash of the Moons with Rocky Jones.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Darunia - 13th May 2010

1.) STOP POSTING SO MUCH IN THIS THREAD! WHEN I LOG ON I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO RECAP FIFTEEN NEW POSTS! From now one nobody is allowed more than ONE (1) post between my posts!

2.) Man, you guys dont know about Future War? Girl in the Gold Boots (that one actually depresses me) and The Wild World of Batwoman!?

I love Future War--it's one of my favorites (there's so many that its hard to make a comprehensive list in one sitting)... alas, it's only available via an expensive $50 set, so I don't own it yet. Girl in Gold Boots = epic fail. In my opinion, the best episodes are movies with a science fiction or at least some-kind-of-monster setting (SPACE MUTINY, BOGGY CREEK, FUTURE WAR, etc.)... and I can allow them to stray, because they can still riff a good movie when it's not sci-fi (MITCHELL)... but GOLD BOOTS? Who the HELL signed off on that one? It's so stupid and dull and has nothing to do with anything! It's almost as bad as HAMLET.

My DVD of Monster A-Go-Go was messed up, so I ended up watching some Crash of the Moons with Rocky Jones.

I loved Crash of Moons! I also love MANHUNT IN SPACE. The campy, cheesy 50's sci-fi ambiance made for fantastic riffing... reminds me of THE PHANTOM PLANET, which is another of my favorites.

LAZY STFU BEFORE I GO GORON ON YOUR ASS! You can't possibly have ever "gotten" me into MST3K because I already into it before I ever posted on TC, or Darunia's Fortress, or Fortress 64, or Weltall's PSX site, or Great Mario's site, or anything! Indeed, I may have already been a fan while in the womb.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - lazyfatbum - 15th May 2010

Yeah but I was watching MST3K when I was 12 xD

Phantom Planet, does he shrink and find a hot girl and FIGHT TO THE DEATH with "flood the arena! ...did we mention that?" and the bizarre dog people who fly in flaming marshmallows?

I hope this makes sense to you

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Darunia - 15th May 2010

YES YES YES YES LAZY

Flaming pet taxis... YES!

CLASSIC.

Still one of the best shows on my TV - Darunia - 17th May 2010

I frequent this MST3K forum. (Don't be offended, Tendites, if I cheat on you with another forum.) Since we all seem to enjoy MST3K, perhaps you also would do well to visit it.

Forums

I post under Aramfingal09.