Tendo City
New Elm Street kind of stinks - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: New Elm Street kind of stinks (/showthread.php?tid=5711)

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 30th April 2010

If you saw the original 1984 film along with the six sequels, Don't bother with this, If not well your better off renting the original then paying the price for admission to see the remake .

Jackie Earle was not terrible or anything but he is no Robert Englund!

Rooney Mara can't act!

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Dark Jaguar - 30th April 2010

Above all else, don't forget that the original, and all it's sequels, sucked anyway.

I didn't even watch any until some marathon a while ago. What I remember is the first one ended with a Home Alone style series of booby traps finishing off Freddy.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Great Rumbler - 30th April 2010

The original Nightmare on Elm Street is good stuff. Also the one where Freddy has the Power Glove.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 30th April 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Above all else, don't forget that the original, and all it's sequels, sucked anyway.

I didn't even watch any until some marathon a while ago. What I remember is the first one ended with a Home Alone style series of booby traps finishing off Freddy.

The film predates Home Alone, That was my favorite part of the movie.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Unreadphilosophy - 30th April 2010

Anyone that expected this movie to be a masterpiece has never seen a movie before in their life. I haven't seen it and don't plan to.

This Elm Street remake is another fine example the end of cinematic originality.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Dark Jaguar - 30th April 2010

I know it predates it, but that still looked ridiculous.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Sacred Jellybean - 1st May 2010

Whenever they try to make a NoES movie dark and serious, it ends up failing. The only high point of those movies is Freddy killing his victims in fun and creative ways, with some one-liners to boot.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 1st May 2010

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Jwh4X80KCo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Jwh4X80KCo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

like this

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Unreadphilosophy - 1st May 2010

^Wow. That was just...corny.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Dark Jaguar - 1st May 2010

The big problem with most of the old slasher movies is that no one cares about any of the "good guys". The only interesting character IS the murderer. The kids getting killed are all either idiots or disfunctional jerks (usually both). Nowadays no one can stand such characters in a movie.... they prefer them in reality shows. *rimshot*

I've said it before but I think the entire genre of "horror" is one that's has been waiting for generations for video games to arrive, because horror is just done better when it's interactive.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 1st May 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:The big problem with most of the old slasher movies is that no one cares about any of the "good guys". The only interesting character IS the murderer. The kids getting killed are all either idiots or disfunctional jerks (usually both). Nowadays no one can stand such characters in a movie.... they prefer them in reality shows. *rimshot*

I've said it before but I think the entire genre of "horror" is one that's has been waiting for generations for video games to arrive, because horror is just done better when it's interactive.

A game were you are Freddy Kruger and the goal is murder as many fornicating teenyboppers as possible?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVIu8olUtDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVIu8olUtDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Michael Jackson vs freddy, battle of the child predators!

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Unreadphilosophy - 1st May 2010

^What the hell were those brown things that Freddy was throwing at Jackson?

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Dark Jaguar - 1st May 2010

Some weird demon spawn things? I think the bigger question is what were those magic moon sparkles Michael was tossing around.

ASM, nope. Try the opposite of that, like ALL modern horror games.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Darunia - 7th May 2010

Guys, seriously. Is anyone surprised by this? Let's be honest: HAS ANY FUCKING MOVIE REMAKE EVER BEEN HALF AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL UPON WHICH IT IS BASED?

-Lost in Space?
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?
-Nightmare on Elm Street?
-Wild, Wild West?
-House on Haunted Hill
-House of Wax
-The Hills Have Eyes
-Clash of the Titans
-The Day the Earth Stood Still?
-I Am Legend
-King Kong
-Psycho

Etc.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Great Rumbler - 7th May 2010

The Thing, remake of The Thing from Another World, was better than the original.

A lot of people like The Ring more than Ringu.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the 70's was really, really good.

Most people consider The Departed to be much better than Infernal Affairs.

Insomnia is a bit different from the original film, but actually better in some ways.

Little Shop of Horrors was really great as a musical.

Granted, most of the recent remakes are pretty trash though.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Sacred Jellybean - 7th May 2010

They're remaking Hellraiser, too. :Gonk: Of course, that's another example of an original that wasn't very good. It's damn near impossible to make a good monster movie without it coming off as hokey.

Great Rumbler Wrote:The Thing, remake of The Thing from Another World, was better than the original.

Somewhere around 39 times better, too. I rented the original with high expectations, keeping in mind that John Carpenter (director of the remake) was a big fan. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I knew the special effects wouldn't be able to compare in a 1951 film, but still, you can get around a low budget with creativity and an interesting story. The Thing From Another World had some of the former but none of the latter. As I stated above, most monster movies are generally hokey and only worth seeing for some eye candy or blood lust, and this one is no exception. The Thing (the remake) manages to hit all the bases, though.

Quote:Little Shop of Horrors was really great as a musical.

Yeah, and as far as the character Arthur Denton goes, Bill Murray beats out Jack Nicholson. It's hard to imagine Jack Nicholson being upstaged, but I guess if there's one man to do it, it's Bill Murray.

Darunia Wrote:-I Am Legend

The version with Vincent Price (the name escapes me) was pretty terrible, too. I'll generally sit through a movie if I've rented it (hell, I even managed to sit through Dead Poets Society, corny as it was), but not this one. I actually liked Will Smith in the remake, even though the ending tanked it.

Agreed on your other points, though.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Darunia - 7th May 2010

I've never heard or seen one by Vincent Price. I'm talking about the Charlton Heston one. Besides---the mere presence of Vincent Price makes it a classic.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 7th May 2010

Great Rumbler Wrote:The Thing, remake of The Thing from Another World, was better than the original.

A lot of people like The Ring more than Ringu.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the 70's was really, really good.

Most people consider The Departed to be much better than Infernal Affairs.

Insomnia is a bit different from the original film, but actually better in some ways.

Little Shop of Horrors was really great as a musical.

Granted, most of the recent remakes are pretty trash though.

Al Pacino's Scarface was a remake

[Image: 202616.1020.A.jpg]

First film to feature the Thompson Machine gun

The original was made when its namesake "Al Capone" was still alive, He apparently loved the movie so much he bought a film reel for himself.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwQm-ca4GGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwQm-ca4GGM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Quote:I've never heard or seen one by Vincent Price. I'm talking about the Charlton Heston one. Besides---the mere presence of Vincent Price makes it a classic.

I've seen all three versions, To be honest Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth (1964)" is my favorite, Compared to Heston and Smith only Vicente Price is believable in playing the role of a scientist.

George A Romero has said that "The Last Man on Earth (1964)" was the blueprint and inspiration for "night of the living dead" and the similarities are immediately apparent when you watch it.

alien space marine Wrote:Al Pacino's Scarface was a remake

I watched this in an America Cinema History course I took. It was good, though moreso for its historical significance. It's absolutely incredible that they pulled off releasing a movie as violent as scarface in a conservative time like that.

I never heard the bit about the Al Capone owning a print of the film. That's pretty neat. Another interesting bit of trivia is that the censors forced Howard Hawks to insert a scene where police men are standing around in a meeting, discussing (and effectively reminding the audience) just how terrible crime is and how Scarface had to be stopped.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 7th May 2010

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:I watched this in an America Cinema History course I took. It was good, though moreso for its historical significance. It's absolutely incredible that they pulled off releasing a movie as violent as scarface in a conservative time like that.

I never heard the bit about the Al Capone owning a print of the film. That's pretty neat. Another interesting bit of trivia is that the censors forced Howard Hawks to insert a scene where police men are standing around in a meeting, discussing (and effectively reminding the audience) just how terrible crime is and how Scarface had to be stopped.

They also complained about the incestuous overtones between Toni and Cesca.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Dark Jaguar - 7th May 2010

I dunno, this is a pretty nice remake...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MUXyl-Xaxr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MUXyl-Xaxr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

New Elm Street kind of stinks - lazyfatbum - 8th May 2010

That was the most intense thing I have ever seen. 5 stars.

Remakes are great when the craft of making films has been advanced so greatly that the experience demands it, but as others have stated the horrible screen-time grab-a-thons, the ridiculous 'test audience' feedback and often questionable writing skills can destroy the fun and vibrancy of the original film. The Thing is a great example because the remake is better than the original, but at the same time there is something to be said about a 'monster' that is never seen on screen. But the special effects in Carpenter's Thing (absolutely zero CGI) is that they still scare the shit out of people today and look 100% authentic. Plus, all the acting so razor sharp you have no problem at all believing everything they're going through. Just a fantastically crafted film. Too bad Carpenter's film making abilities turned to shit for some reason.

Speaking of which, the re-make of the Fog. Holy good God. I left the theatre half way through, it was just ridiculously stupid. No character interaction or plot, you didn't want anyone to live. The original had you sympathizing with each character and again the great acting kept it fully immersing. The re-make failed in every possible way, it shouldn't have been made. From what I understand on it, the reason it was made is because the studio still had the rights to it and with the writer strike, it was easier to re-hash and bank on something proven effective than try for something new (this mentality always fails though).

While the fog remake was shit, the Mist was pure genius and thankfully, Stephen King wasn't anywhere near the production of it (why does he suck so hard at telling his own stories?) and was helmed by the same director of Green Mile. What an amazing movie, but fuck King for stealing my trapped in the grocery store idea. But here's a good example of what studios SHOULD do, a movie comes out and does well, so you do a quality film with the same concept but different story. Two excellent completely different films that deal with running from vapor. Alien had people on a ship being hunted by an alien, Predator had people in a jungle being hunted by an alien. See the genius of it? Take the neat concept and put a quality effort in to re-imagine it.

These re-makes are destroying what movies used to be, a very serious business on playing on people's imaginations and creating stand-alone works of art, pieces to pass down through the ages. Even at the levels of slashers and freakouts, gorefests, black comedies, etc held a level of quality that made it something amazing. The first Freddy films, the first Jason ones, Halloween, watch their originals before they were sequeled to death - they're excellent! It had morals and values, WHY is this happening, WHO is this person, WHAT does he want from us, you can feel the characters and the writing is fantastic.

You knew who was going to die because they were either stupid or mean. Good people only die in disaster films, everything from Earthquake to Jurassic Park and Deep Impact to any Zombie apocalypse film. But in slasher movies its all about how the good people make it because every individual in that theatre sees themselves as the good person, the moral person, not the whore who's blowing guys for fun or the greaser who's giving beer to the 17 year old, the guy on the motorcycle with no parents - he'd never use somebody, he doesn't even drink and guess what HE ENDS UP SAVING EVERYONE. But that style of writing has been lost, now it's just hey, let's shock the audience and kill the people they like and be 'edgey'. It's disastrous. It's why Terminator 4's only Salvation was the CG Arnold Schwarzenegger. Writer's, at least the ones willing to write for film, have lost their soul. And when they handle a property that's beloved and defining of an era or genre it's like being told you have cancer. Day the Earth Stood Still? Yeah thanks, you gutted an awesome story and turned it in to Noah's story from the bible and Gort turned in to killer robot mosquitoes. THANKS HOLLYWOOD.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2010

lazy, I get where you are coming from and agree on most of that, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that there was some golden age where garbage was never made. 90% of everything sucks. Remember the glut of ridiculously stupid "monster movies", or the racist propaganda trash, or heck, just Santa vs The Martians? There's always been garbage. The big difference is they have a lot nicer wrapping to hide it in.

Same with books. Some of it lasts the ages, but some of it just gets found and posted for everyone to laugh at.

Oh, and the same goes for games. The Angry Video Game Nerd reminds us all of that.

I still say the biggest flaw of T4 was completely ignoring the plot of T2 to say "you're good because you have a human heart, and robots can't do that, because they aren't humans like us, we humas are awesome". Gee thanks for completely forgetting that best friend you CRIED over while he frickin' DIED FOR YOUR SINS. Jerk.

I don't get why they are remaking Robin Hood when Prince of Thieves is still good by modern standards. Also, how come every time they make a Robin Hood movie they burn our village down?

Then again, how many Dracula movies have they made? "Dead and Loving It" at least seems to have stopped up that drain for a while.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - Great Rumbler - 8th May 2010

The Robin Hood movie from 1938 with Errol Flynn is still pretty good.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 8th May 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Then again, how many Dracula movies have they made? "Dead and Loving It" at least seems to have stopped up that drain for a while.

Nobody ever thought to make a movie about the real Vlad the Impaler, The real Dracula was a bigger killer in the pages of history then the fictitious monster invented by Bram Stoker .

Yes yes ASM, we're all impressed by your knowledge that Dracula's portrayal is fictional. Except we aren't. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT. Dracula the vampire is just a lot more interesting. If we want a real life murderer, we can always fall back on Hitler.

New Elm Street kind of stinks - alien space marine - 9th May 2010

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Yes yes ASM, we're all impressed by your knowledge that Dracula's portrayal is fictional. Except we aren't. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT. Dracula the vampire is just a lot more interesting. If we want a real life murderer, we can always fall back on Hitler.

Are you menstruating or something?!!

New Elm Street kind of stinks - lazyfatbum - 10th May 2010

You pissed her off, I dunno how or why but the random made me lol

"Bram Stoker's Dracula" used Vlad The Impaler and binded the story as one, that Vlad is who became Dracula.

And yeah, you're right. It's the packaging, ie: it looks pretty, but inside there's nothing. Like a big projected image of Natalie Portman. But film , among the garbage, used to be the soap box for the intellectual, for the modern philosophers to create stories that made us think and wonder. Now we think and wonder why we paid 11 bucks.